13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    davidw said:
    davidw said:
    strongy said:
    Password sharing is stealing. 

Can’t run a business giving stuff away unless you’ve got endless marketing nvwators or run  on ads. 

A family plan where everyone gets a code to authenticate would be fine. Or just get moms code when Netflix texts hee that you’re logging in 
    pay for 4 people and use 4 people in no way can you classify it as stealing, now if they stop people using them 4 they bought that can be classed as fraud and false advertising.
    Read the Netflix EULA. Carefully! No way are you paying for 4 people. You are paying for a plan that allows 4 streams (at the same time)Which allows you and members of your household to watch 4 streams at the same time, under the same roof. Not for 4 people to stream from TV's in 4 different households, using 4 different IP addresses. The only way they allow you to stream outside your household is with a mobile device like a tablet, phone or laptop. You are allowed to have 4 streams on 4 TV's or devices in your home (that are using the same IP address) and as many people watching as you can fit in your home.   
    Of course that’s what it says, but that’s stupid. It makes no difference to Netflix which roof the four streams are under. Apple’s TOS rightly has a family as a defined group, regardless of which roof - so my mother is part of my family and can use the service without issue. No reason for Netflix to claim she isn’t part of my family plan.

The claims here that my mother is actually a thief and is stealing, is idiotic nonsense. 

Yes it does and the claim is not that your mom is the thief and is stealing (from Netflix), it's you and that's not idiotic nonsense. She would only be the thief if she got hold of your password and was using your account, without your knowledge or permission.

When you pay for a Netflix account with 4 4K streams, you are not paying for 4 people. You are paying to be able to stream 4 movies at the same time, on 4 different devices in the same household (or on a mobile device). And it cost Netflix nearly nothing to offer the extra streams. Netflix makes most, in not nearly all, their money from selling you the account and the first stream. Think about it, when it cost $15.49 for 2 HD streams and it only cost $4.50 to upgrade to 4K and get 2 more streams, how much you think it cost Netflix to give 4K subscribers 2 more streams? Can't be more than $1.25 per stream if you consider it must cost at least $2 just to upgrade from HD to 4K.

Netflix makes most of their money by selling an account with the first stream and let you have 4 streams because it cost them nearly nothing you let you have 3 more streams, so long as those 3 extra streams are used on devices in the same household or on a mobile device, like stated in their term of use. But if you let someone use your account in another household, Netflix is losing the money they might have made selling that household a Netflix account. Even if that household were to only pay $9.99 for 1 SD stream. And remember, when you share your account with your mom, she actually have access to all 4 streams in your account, if no one else is streaming a movie with your account, at the time. So everyone you share your account with, have access to 4 streams, depending on how many movies are streaming at the time. Saying that your mom would not subscribe to Netflix anyway and therefore not costing Netflix anything, is the same excuse Bit Torrent users uses to justify their pirating of others copyrighted works. And most would still consider them "thieves".

So yes, it does make a difference to Netflix when over 30% of their subscribers are sharing their accounts this way. Plus the UK is looking into how sharing your account this way affects copyright owners. Copyright owners on Netflix (and most likely other video streaming services) are probably paying copyright owners a license to stream their works based on how many accounts have access to their works and not so much how many times their works are  streamed. (Unlike how music streaming subscription is done.) So the more accounts Netflix have, the more Netflix have to pay for the licensing of copyrighted works. So by your mom not paying for her own household account, as Netflix requires, she is watching copyrighted works without paying anything to the copyright owner. You are only paying for an account that allows you and anyone in your household, to watch the available copyrighted works with your Netflix account And a 4K plan allows your household to stream 4 different movies at the same time, on 4 devices in the household or on a mobile device that is not necessarily required to be in the household. Your mom is not part of your household under Netflix definition of a "household" and she and anyone else that might be watching Netflix in her household, are not compensating copyright owners to watch their works on Netflix. (She is allowed to watch Netflix with your account on a mobile device like an iPad, that you verify as yours in your account.) And it's  not her fault, its yours.  
    Do you know how Apple One works? 29.99 you can have 6 family members. Included 2 TB , lossless music, Apple TV and Fitness

I pay same for my Netflix Ultra 4 streams. I use it on road, my kid uses in college, my mom uses it at her house. 

If Netflix does not allow this while Apple does, Netflix stock will goto $20 because this is what people with families do!

edited December 2022
  • Reply 42 of 44
    XedXed Posts: 2,575member
    davidw said:
    davidw said:
    strongy said:
    Password sharing is stealing. 

Can’t run a business giving stuff away unless you’ve got endless marketing nvwators or run  on ads. 

A family plan where everyone gets a code to authenticate would be fine. Or just get moms code when Netflix texts hee that you’re logging in 
    pay for 4 people and use 4 people in no way can you classify it as stealing, now if they stop people using them 4 they bought that can be classed as fraud and false advertising.
    Read the Netflix EULA. Carefully! No way are you paying for 4 people. You are paying for a plan that allows 4 streams (at the same time)Which allows you and members of your household to watch 4 streams at the same time, under the same roof. Not for 4 people to stream from TV's in 4 different households, using 4 different IP addresses. The only way they allow you to stream outside your household is with a mobile device like a tablet, phone or laptop. You are allowed to have 4 streams on 4 TV's or devices in your home (that are using the same IP address) and as many people watching as you can fit in your home.   
    Of course that’s what it says, but that’s stupid. It makes no difference to Netflix which roof the four streams are under. Apple’s TOS rightly has a family as a defined group, regardless of which roof - so my mother is part of my family and can use the service without issue. No reason for Netflix to claim she isn’t part of my family plan.

The claims here that my mother is actually a thief and is stealing, is idiotic nonsense. 
    Yes it does and the claim is not that your mom is the thief and is stealing (from Netflix), it's you and that's not idiotic nonsense. She would only be the thief if she got hold of your password and was using your account, without your knowledge or permission.
    Strictly speaking, simply violating TOC is not thievery.
    edited December 2022 strongy
  • Reply 43 of 44
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    It would be interesting to hear from the "other side," i.e., Netflix shareholders who are seeing their investment dwindling over time. Yes, Netflix is by no means completely innocent here because they implicitly encouraged sharing while their subscriber base and profits were soaring. But if I was a shareholder now I would absolutely demand that the company's officers fix whatever is negatively impacting profitability. Of course you don't put out a shipboard fire by sinking the ship, so whatever they do should be done with a full understanding of the risks involved. As long as Netflix is still providing value for the money people will continue to pay for the service. Competing services are all in the same boat, so they're not going to do anything long-term that will crash their profitability either.

I have no problem sharing as long as you are actually entitled to share, like sharing a pizza. You give something up to allow others to share something that you paid for. Thank you for your generosity. But sharing at someone else's expense is not really sharing and has no associated generosity. If you really care about grandma, your fledged rug rats, or a random collection of strangers having Netflix, buy them all a subscription. Again, thank you for your generosity.
    ronn