New folding iPad and refreshed iPad mini 7 now in 2024, says Kuo

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Does a foldable iPad necessarily mean the screen folds?

Perhaps it is an iPadOS device in laptop form factor, with permanently attached keyboard. Seems like lots of people get an accessory keyboard/cover for their iPad and leave it on, usually resulting in a package thicker than a current MacBook Air or even approaching a MacBook Pro. An integrated keyboard on an iPad-like device could be as slim and light as the old 12" MacBook or 11" MBA.

Of course, price is a factor--it could be close to a MacBook (or even more), so why not just get a MacBook? But for iPad devotees, a right-priced, lightweight, integrated iPad/keyboard could be attractive.
    While potentially useful, this doesn't meet my definition of a foldable device.  In context of foldables it's always the notion of folding the display that's being referenced.  An iPad with a built-in keyboard that folds to cover the display for transport doesn't really meet the commonly stated definition of a foldable.  Of course, Apple often doesn't hew to what everyone else has done or thinks should be done, and so it's always possible they might implement something like you're suggesting, but I can't see how that's very much of an advance versus a well engineering and tightly integrated attachable keyboard that also functions as display protector.  
    edited January 2023
  • Reply 22 of 30
    I miss when Apple used to innovate instead of just emulating. 
    Since 2015:

Apple introduces the most successful and capable new watch in the roughly 5,000 year history of time-keeping.

Apple introduces AirPods, the most successful and revolutionary listening device in the history of listening devices. 

Apple introduces its own M-chip, ending reliance on Intel and revolutionizing performance in consumer computers. 

FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 23 of 30
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    The best folding display form factor for me is a 22" display that folds in half, acting as a laptop with 15" of vertical display space and 15" of horizontal display surface for touch-based software keyboard and trackpad. If they do that, I would really push for work to get me one. iPadOS would have to get macOS features or vice versa, but it's a form factor I imagine working really well for me.

It would be a 22" display on desk, with an external monitor, external keyboard and mouse/trackpad. Fold it up, put it in a backpack and bring it home. Unfold to a 22" display at the home desk, and plug it into external monitor too, and it's just like the office. When in the airport or travel, operate it like a clamshell laptop.

Bonus points if you could fold it 360" into a 15" laptop for couch and bed use.

Other sizes do not seem to be very useful other than something like the above.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    ok,ok I’m for an elder scroll screen!  :smile: 
  • Reply 25 of 30
    charlesn said:
    I'm very hesitant to doubt the mostly reliable Kuo, especially when he speaks with certainty like this. But as other posters have noted, I also have the big question "Why?" especially considering this will probably be incredibly expensive if Samsung's foldable phone price is any indication. I've seen mentions that it would be protective of the screen, but doesn't a simply smart cover have that solved at low cost and minimal weight? 
    Kuo could be right about certain things being reported by the supply chain ("carbon-fibre stand") and completely wrong with what those things are actually going to be used for. I mean, come on - how many iPads or iPhones are currently shipped with a stand? You can get an optional case from Apple but the only things with stands are iMacs and monitors.

It's worth remembering that carbon fibre is flexible in very limited directions and quite easily shatters if the force comes from a different angle. Plus, it's expensive so you really need exceptional benefits to justify the additional cost.

If anything, the component Kuo is talking about is probably related to a certain head-mounted device that Apple is supposedly working on...
  • Reply 26 of 30
    Or, perhaps the stand is a way to hold multiple screens - imagine a 2x2 grid of iPads, all using wireless communication to decide which part of the viewport to render. The stand is hinged (and collapsible for transportation) but has reinforcing diagonal struts for assembly. I can see carbon fibre being justifiable for something like this.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    I miss when Apple used to innovate instead of just emulating. 
    I miss when people used to know the difference between rumors and press releases, and remembered when the Apple versions were rarely the same as the lame offerings from those that rushed to market. 
    roundaboutnow
  • Reply 28 of 30
    HrebHreb Posts: 82member
    I, for one, welcome Apple introducing new form factors, rather than rehashing the same old form factors year after year and leaving all the physical innovation to Samsung.  Especially so if it means diversifying their overall product lineup.  I'm sure non-folding ipads will be available to those who want them for a very, very long time.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Does a foldable iPad necessarily mean the screen folds?

Perhaps it is an iPadOS device in laptop form factor, with permanently attached keyboard. Seems like lots of people get an accessory keyboard/cover for their iPad and leave it on, usually resulting in a package thicker than a current MacBook Air or even approaching a MacBook Pro. An integrated keyboard on an iPad-like device could be as slim and light as the old 12" MacBook or 11" MBA.

Of course, price is a factor--it could be close to a MacBook (or even more), so why not just get a MacBook? But for iPad devotees, a right-priced, lightweight, integrated iPad/keyboard could be attractive.
    While potentially useful, this doesn't meet my definition of a foldable device.  In context of foldables it's always the notion of folding the display that's being referenced.  An iPad with a built-in keyboard that folds to cover the display for transport doesn't really meet the commonly stated definition of a foldable.  Of course, Apple often doesn't hew to what everyone else has done or thinks should be done, and so it's always possible they might implement something like you're suggesting, but I can't see how that's very much of an advance versus a well engineering and tightly integrated attachable keyboard that also functions as display protector.  
    I've always assumed a "foldable" meant having a foldable display too, but the article only mentioned "a polishing and bonding supplier of carbon fiber support frames for folding iPads" (emphasis mine) as the basis for this rumor. Certainly a proper support frame would be needed on a folding display iPad, but since mention is only made of a frame supplier, it made me think that maybe this could be referring to something else based on an iPad.

Speculation is such fun...

Tht's #23 comment about a folding concept has some interesting ideas too.