Apple will launch HomePod with 7-inch screen in 2024, says Kuo

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,043member
    Roderikus said:
    Ohh…it took only 6 years for visionary Cook to be reached by Phil Schiller who said that HomePods would need a screen (in 2017…)
    You seem confused about Apple, Cook’s role as CEO is not product development. Nor is it the role of many CEOs at all; Jobs was unique in this area. Most CEOs are business people and not great at product development — as is woefully evident by Mush’s public flailing about on Twitter.
    edited March 2023 Alex1Nwatto_cobrachasmwilliamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 40
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,043member
    Is it time for Mr. Cook to retire, or hire the next Steve Jobs as his boss ?
    Asking such a question based on dubious rumors/mockups is quite foolish.
    edited March 2023 Alex1Nwatto_cobraRonnnieOwilliamlondon
  • Reply 23 of 40
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member
    lkrupp said:
    Does a decent speaker need front firing mid and high drivers... ?
    How does this rate for industrial design ?
    Might this actually be a case study for a touch bar ?
    Well, obviously you took the kludged photo as representative of the actual product. Nothing could be further from the truth. If such a product were to be released it wouldn’t look like the classic HomePod at all.
    Yes, the pic that that other rumor site (rhymes with MacHumors) used is likely much closer to what something like this might look like. 
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 40
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 881member
    Japhey said:
    lwio said:
    Already have this. It’s called an iPad. The advantage of my setup is I can actually read/see the screen from my armchair.
    Cool. This device is so you can walk around the house without having to carry your iPad with you everywhere. 
    I have the mini version called the Apple Watch.
    watto_cobrawilliamlondonPhobos7
  • Reply 25 of 40
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member
    This would be awesome. No need to play from some other device. Just go to the speaker with Apple Music account set up and play what I want. 

Would be cool if it doubled as a small screen Apple TV also to watch during meal prep. 
    I would expect it will. That's a current feature of the Google Home Hub mentioned above by Hmurchison.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 26 of 40
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,502member
    Am I the only one who read this and became very suspicious of Ming’s SERIOUS pimping of Tianma? Reports like this are often the first part — “Pump” — of the stock manipulation scheme “pump and dump.”

Not saying that is what Kuo is doing, but I have to wonder if he isn’t at least getting some kickback/insider info for that level of “pump” trying to get Apple to buy into this company.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 27 of 40
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,693member
    AppleZulu said:
    I wonder how many times Kuo will be able to change this “prediction” and still be considered “correct”?
    He is always Kuo-rect.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Goofy combination to be honest.  Any form factor that doesn’t alter the sound imaging by obstructing the speaker?  I can’t get the image of a second gen iMac out of my head. 

hcrefugeedesignrwilliamlondongregoriusm
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Goofy combination to be honest.  Any form factor that doesn’t alter the sound imaging by obstructing the speaker?  I can’t get the image of a second
     gen iMac out of my head. 

I had the same image in my head. Though I still don’t know why I need a screen  on my HomePod, especially if I interact with it via AppleTV, my iPhone phone,  or my voice. Different strokes, I guess. 

irwinmauricewilliamlondon
  • Reply 30 of 40
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 444member
    lkrupp said:
    Does a decent speaker need front firing mid and high drivers... ?
    How does this rate for industrial design ?
    Might this actually be a case study for a touch bar ?
    Well, obviously you took the kludged photo as representative of the actual product. Nothing could be further from the truth. If such a product were to be released it wouldn’t look like the classic HomePod at all.
    Great response. Thanks for helping him out. 
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Roderikus said:
    Ohh…it took only 6 years for visionary Cook to be reached by Phil Schiller who said that HomePods would need a screen (in 2017…)
    Perhaps Steve the third will answer the calling lol.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    thedbathedba Posts: 776member
    Japhey said:
    lwio said:
    Already have this. It’s called an iPad. The advantage of my setup is I can actually read/see the screen from my armchair.
    Cool. This device is so you can walk around the house without having to carry your iPad with you everywhere. 
    I can see how a 1lb iPad can inhibit the movement of an adult human.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 3,013member
    Roderikus said:
    You seem confused about Apple, Cook’s role as CEO is not product development. Nor is it the role of many CEOs at all; Jobs was unique in this area. Most CEOs are business people and not great at product development — as is woefully evident by Mush’s public flailing about on Twitter.
    You’d think so, but in reality, the CEO is all about steering the company as well as managing it. 

Jobs was HUGE on product development. He’s in a big way responsible for the ideas of the home-computer mouse, GUI, iPod, music and video ecosystem that had a viable business model and actually worked well, the iPhone, iPad, etc. 

time Cook pushed the Watch, Apple Car (judgement reserved until launch), Apple Fitness, HomePod, etc. 

the idea doesn’t always come from the CEO, but often does. Sometimes it comes from the CEO motivating the staff, other times it’s directly from their vision. 

Ford motor company has been through numerous CEOs the last decade, from mullaly.who basically refined each vehicle segment to Mark Foelds, whose vision of heavy aluminum usage failed to pay off, to Hackett, who thought it would be cool to kill off all cars, to Farley, who seems to be in a transition stage for taking the company from gas to a hybrid of gas/electric/possibly hudrogen. Fields and Hackett left because their half baked ideas caused the stock to tank. 

So the CEO is quite often the idea person. Not just a logistics person. 

This is especially important in a company that operates much like a nimble startup. 

williamlondon
  • Reply 34 of 40
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 3,013member
    HomePod with actual, useful, multipurpose screen was predicted years ago. 

Sounds like it’s about ready to go. 

A HomePod with all the HomePod features plus built in Apple TV, music, and third party apps would be awesome. 

Just make sure it has a battery option The current way of plugging the thing in just sucks, severely limiting its usefulness. Can’t use it for impromptu outdoor settings, etc. 

sure, driving the speakers at high volume will drain the battery faster, but customers expect that and there needs to be the option - at least for non- screen HomePods. 
    edited March 2023
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Phobos7Phobos7 Posts: 66member
    The only real applicability of a gui screen on the front (or whatever) of a HomePod, is that mechanical repairs could be easier. Personally, there is absolutely no use for a screen on any of our HomePods. Neither the First Generation or the Second Generation.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    There's no way there will be a HomePod with a screen. People complain about the cost of the big HomePod...how will the additional price of a display work?   It'd probably a completely different device.  Perhaps some type of HomeKit automation server...but definitely not a speaker.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member
    crofford said:
    There's no way there will be a HomePod with a screen. People complain about the cost of the big HomePod...how will the additional price of a display work?   It'd probably a completely different device.  Perhaps some type of HomeKit automation server...but definitely not a speaker.
    It will resemble the Nest Hub Max at least in function IMO, a product that has excellent stereo sound. It's also a smartTV, and great for calls and remote meetings. 

Apple ain't making a round Homepod with a screen. 
    https://store.google.com/product/google_nest_hub_max?hl=en-US
    edited March 2023
  • Reply 38 of 40
    laytechlaytech Posts: 340member
    Personally I don’t see the point 
  • Reply 39 of 40
    omasouomasou Posts: 612member
    Roderikus said:

woefully evident by John Scully and his pizza box Macintoshes.