Tesla Wireless Charging Platform review: A premium, Tesla-branded AirPower clone

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    danox said:
    Let’s get this out of the way there is no such thing as a wireless charger right now today, one day, you will be able to carry around your iPhone or some other device set it on the table, take it with you on the trip do nothing and it will charge as if by magic that’s wireless, that day is not here yet. It will be available to the public in 50 years or 100 years and the people in the future will look back and laugh.

And that Tesla charger looks as bad as the dashboard in a Tesla, or the Ribbons UI in Windows, don’t waste any money trying to design a smart phone, Elon.
    Well you're wrong, so let's get that out of the way.  :) The commonly accepted, and understood, meaning of wireless charging is charging the device without being directly connected to the charging brick via cable.  Even if we don't employ the commonly accepted understanding, you'd still be wrong.  Wireless charging as we know it today is still distance charging; albeit short distance called near-field charging. It's the reason phones can be wirelessly charged while in cases.  It's also a part of the Qi standard.  A cursory search of the interwebs will provide you with the max distances devices can be from the charging surface and still receive a charge.  Mid-field and far-field charging are in less practical stages of commercial development.  Still, the point remains. We have wireless charging already.
    edited March 2023 avon b7
  • Reply 22 of 32
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    $300 for a charger? Let's just stop there. 

No. 

technowatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 32
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member
    So the price is not a “con”?  Yeah ok. Everyone lost their minds when AirPower was rumored to be $180. But because this is Tesla everyone is now ok with $300?
    Japheycaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 32
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,853member
    danox said:
    Let’s get this out of the way there is no such thing as a wireless charger right now today, one day, you will be able to carry around your iPhone or some other device set it on the table, take it with you on the trip do nothing and it will charge as if by magic that’s wireless, that day is not here yet. It will be available to the public in 50 years or 100 years and the people in the future will look back and laugh.

And that Tesla charger looks as bad as the dashboard in a Tesla, or the Ribbons UI in Windows, don’t waste any money trying to design a smart phone, Elon.
    Well you're wrong, so let's get that out of the way.  :) The commonly accepted, and understood, meaning of wireless charging is charging the device without being directly connected to the charging brick via cable.  Even if we don't employ the commonly accepted understanding, you'd still be wrong.  Wireless charging as we know it today is still distance charging; albeit short distance called near-field charging. It's the reason phones can be wirelessly charged while in cases.  It's also a part of the Qi standard.  A cursory search of the interwebs will provide you with the max distances devices can be from the charging surface and still receive a charge.  Mid-field and far-field charging are in less practical stages of commercial development.  Still, the point remains. We have wireless charging already.
    In the future they will still laugh hardy Har Har…… only the gullible today think we have wireless charging today, it’s like believing in Bitcoin or Crypto.
    edited March 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 32
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    BiC said:
    They have a history of BURNiNG your car down - I hope it doesn't burn your house down!  I've never heard of a Challenger being burned down with the exception of a Nascar Race but that's a complete different story.  Canadian OiL for LiFE.
    Really? Every car got burned down!
  • Reply 26 of 32
    JonGJonG Posts: 24unconfirmed, member
    I question how you can "clone" a product that never existed.  Pretty misleading headline.  Looks like Tesla did something that Apple didn't release because they couldn't get it to full speed with Apple devices.  Tesla is going to for the larger market.

Also, I question who needs fast charging anyway.  99.5% of the time I charge my phone overnight and it's fine.  If you repeatedly fast charge a battery, that's how you kill it early.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 32
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    JonG said:
    I question how you can "clone" a product that never existed.  Pretty misleading headline.  Looks like Tesla did something that Apple didn't release because they couldn't get it to full speed with Apple devices.  Tesla is going to for the larger market.

Also, I question who needs fast charging anyway.  99.5% of the time I charge my phone overnight and it's fine.  If you repeatedly fast charge a battery, that's how you kill it early.
    I agree that the word 'clone' doesn't make any sense here at all but fast charging was a game changer and has gone from strength to strength. 

I totally abuse my phones in terms of charging and their batteries have never given me problems. 

There is nothing worse than a low battery on a slow charging phone without a battery pack on hand. It changes your use of the phone. 

With a fast charger I can literally 'visualise' the energy flowing into the phone and a few minutes later I'm good to go for hours of heavy use.

iPhones aren't fast at all by today's standards but newer iPhones at least avoid having to slow charge for hours, which was the case with the 5W charger. 
  • Reply 28 of 32
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    danox said:
    danox said:

In the future they will still laugh hardy Har Har…… only the gullible today think we have wireless charging today, it’s like believing in Bitcoin or Crypto.
    For the foreseeable future there's always going to be a wire involved at some point in the process of getting power into your phone, so being this level of pedant is neither clever or useful.

The user doesn't have to plug a wire in to the phone, hence wireless.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 29 of 32
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    BiC said:
    They have a history of BURNiNG your car down - I hope it doesn't burn your house down!  I've never heard of a Challenger being burned down with the exception of a Nascar Race but that's a complete different story.  Canadian OiL for LiFE.
    I is a good thing that oil doesn't burn things down! Sure it can a little messy sometime when it spills into the ocean or rivers. But hey it's worth it!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 32
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    jas99 said:
    This screams out “lack of focus”. There is absolutely no reason for Tesla to issue products like this. They need to take care of their primary business, and say no to superfluous products that simply take time and attention away from their very challenging primary product.
    Yes and no. Elon definitely screams out "lack of focus" but this tech will most likely make into the cars, if it hasn't already.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 32
    gizmomogizmomo Posts: 3member
    It's actually quite sleek looking. Did Tesla fan boys brought them all within 24 hours? Where can I get one now?