MacBook Air 15-inch with 'M2-like' chip in testing behind closed doors at Apple

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited April 2023
Apple is reportedly testing the long-rumored 15-inch MacBook Air, which is said to have a processor comparable to the M2 chip coupled with 14-inch MacBook Pro resolution.

Render of a purple 15-inch MacBook Air
Render of a purple 15-inch MacBook Air

In recent months, rumors of a bigger MacBook Air have become more frequent, with analysts saying that Apple is developing a larger 15-inch MacBook Air notebook. Some reports said it could appear in April 2023, although it's more likely to appear in the summer or fall.

According to a Friday report from Bloomberg, Apple is supposedly increasing testing of new Macs "with processors on par with the current M2 chip." Like the M2, the new chip might have eight central processing cores and ten graphics cores with 8GB of memory like the existing MacBook Air.

The news comes as Apple is facing a drop in Mac sales. According to a report on April 10, Mac shipments in the first quarter of 2023 dropped 40% year-over-year. Apple may hope to entice consumers with new computers to boost sales again.

Whether the New MacBook Air would have the M2 chip or an enhanced version of an M1 chip is unclear. Perhaps Apple might introduce an M1X processor, similar to various iPad chips.

The new Macs are also rumored to be running macOS 14, the next version of Apple's desktop and notebook operating system that it will reveal at WWDC23 on June 5.

With a model number of "Mac 15,3" the display may be equal to the 14-inch MacBook Pro, which has a resolution of 3,024 by 1,964 per the newest model. However, due to the exact resolution with a larger display, it will likely have less sharpness for on-screen details.

Bloomberg further mentions that Apple is working to refresh the 13-inch MacBook Air, the 24-inch iMac, and the 13-inch MacBook Pro. The first Mac Pro with Apple Silicon is also in development but has had delays.

And in the first half of 2024, Apple also intends to update the 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models with more advanced M3 chips, which likely refers to M3 Pro and M3 Max chips.

The M3 chip types are anticipated to be produced by Apple suppliers with a new 3nm fabrication process. It would likely result in chips with greater performance and efficiency, and the company may also use a similar technology for 2023 iPhones.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    XedXed Posts: 2,566member
    If that's the case, then it doesn't look like it'll be ready for a mass launch in April or May.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,727member
    Deliberate leak by Apple. 

They want to ease customers who are putting off current purchases. 

That’s why it purposely states “m2 like” instead of m3, etc. that way it doesn’t sound like a big deal. 

Apple could potentially launch mid to end of summer. Fall would have been the expected time to coincide with m3, but apple may want to push it up. They’ve been itching to launch m3 product across the board as it is. An early m3 launch in this form factor may be a pick up for the mass market, though fans of tiny computers may miss this one. 

If Apple can push out the base m3 by mid summer and launch pro/max m3 products in the fall, I think it would be massive. But that’s an aggressive timetable. iPhone needs months to push on its own. 

Will probably see this end of summer to fall as a “one more thing.” 

Mac Pro m3x probably not until February 2024. 
    williamlondonbyronl
  • Reply 3 of 32
    bsimpsenbsimpsen Posts: 398member
    Whether the New MacBook Air would have the M2 chip or an enhanced version of an M1 chip is unclear. Perhaps Apple might introduce an M1X processor, similar to various iPad chips.
    Why would Apple revert to M1 anything? That would be a terrible marketing blunder.
    Apple has settled on Mn, Mn Pro, Mn Max and possibly Mn Ultra. Throwing "X" into the mix seems unnecessarily complex.
    9secondkox2seanjwilliamlondonfastasleepTRAGcaladanian
  • Reply 4 of 32
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 840member
    bsimpsen said:
    Why would Apple revert to M1 anything? That would be a terrible marketing blunder.
    Exactly. it's an inane suggestion. Apple put the M2 into the "new Macbook Air" a year ago, and now they're going to regress to an M1 something for an all new MBA in 2023? Hello? Is anyone even reading this stuff before it gets posted? I know this has Andrew Orr's byline, but he would know better, so it does make me wonder if this wasn't a bot written artcile. There's also this nonsense:

"The news comes as Apple is facing a drop in Mac sales. According to a report on April 10, Mac shipments in the first quarter of 2023 dropped 40% year-over-year."

Yeah, that "report," carried on AI when released, was from IDC, a notorious and consistent forecaster of Apple doom that just happens to be wrong about 100% of the time in their "facts." This time around, AI posts it as if it's just the known truth without mentioning that it comes from IDC. Personally, I think any Apple "news" reported by IDC should have the "crying from laughing" emoji as its rumor score. 
    9secondkox2caladanianprogrammerbyronl
  • Reply 5 of 32
    bsimpsen said:
    Apple has settled on Mn, Mn Pro, Mn Max and possibly Mn Ultra. Throwing "X" into the mix seems unnecessarily complex.
    Um… I don’t know how to break this to you, but “x” is a commonly used placeholder for an unknown variation (I.e. “ultra,” “extreme,” etc.) 

so there’s no need for you to spend any more time worrying about complexity. 
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 6 of 32
    AniMillAniMill Posts: 156member
    I’d be astonished if Apple were to release an M3 series MacBook Pro so early in this cycle. I got my M1 Max last year, and it still is incredible. I believe the most likely scenario involves an M3 MacBook Air 15” and the M3 Extreme Mac Pro. I also have the M1 Mac Studio Ultra, which is still no slouch. Apple will have to make the Mac Pro significantly faster and more “modular” than the Studio if they are to justify the expectedly higher $$$ for far fewer sold units. These are heady times with AMD releasing it’s 7000 series pro video cards and Intel really upping their CPU game. I can’t believe I get to revel in this era.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    bsimpsenbsimpsen Posts: 398member
    bsimpsen said:
    Um… I don’t know how to break this to you, but “x” is a commonly used placeholder for an unknown variation (I.e. “ultra,” “extreme,” etc.) 

Its quite widely known, though perhaps not to you, that Apple uses "X" to indicate an upgrade to A series processors.
    williamlondonfastasleep9secondkox2
  • Reply 8 of 32
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Like the A10x in iPad pros and the Apple TV4k? As I recall they had extra GPU capacity.

I doubt they would put an M1x in what is likely an important laptop. I guess it could be otherwise binned M2 chips.
    edited April 2023 williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 32
    Rogue01Rogue01 Posts: 161member
    The Air is supposed to be small and light weight.  That was the entire purpose of the Air.  A 15" MacBook would be a MacBook, not a MacBook Air.  It would also have an M2 and not have any Pro features because they don't want it to impact any MacBook Pro sales.  And as all know with the Mac mini, the new MacBook (Air) 15" will have upgrade pricing that puts it at the same price or more for the 14" and 16" MacBook Pros, pushing people to buy those models anyway.  Same role as the iPhone 14.  
    williamlondon9secondkox2
  • Reply 10 of 32
    Yawn… and double yawn…
    Japheywilliamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Rogue01 said:
    The Air is supposed to be small and light weight.  That was the entire purpose of the Air.  A 15" MacBook would be a MacBook, not a MacBook Air.  It would also have an M2 and not have any Pro features because they don't want it to impact any MacBook Pro sales.  And as all know with the Mac mini, the new MacBook (Air) 15" will have upgrade pricing that puts it at the same price or more for the 14" and 16" MacBook Pros, pushing people to buy those models anyway.  Same role as the iPhone 14.  
    Show me where the Air is "suppose to be" anything specific and I'll show you the company that chooses to market its products the way it wants.

Personally, I think a 15" MBA with an M2 with less CPU, GPU, RAM, storage, resolution, and other features in a lighter and thinner casing for less money is spot on. I only wish Apple would've done this years ago. I know several people that purchased 16" Pros for a lot more money that would've been fine with the Air's performance simply because they wanted a display larger than 14".
    fastasleepwilliamlondontht
  • Reply 12 of 32
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    It just won’t have a fan.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    entropys said:
    It just won’t have a fan.
    🙌 That's a bonus. That plus a larger and longer lasting battery could make that an amazing 15" laptop for the average user.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    Rogue01 said:
    The Air is supposed to be small and light weight.  That was the entire purpose of the Air.  A 15" MacBook would be a MacBook, not a MacBook Air. 
    Yet the last time Apple released a "MacBook", it was smaller and lighter than the Air. Turns out it's just a name, a well-recognized one at that, and doesn't mean anything specific these days. The current Air could've just been named MacBook, but it wasn't. 
    williamlondonthtmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 15 of 32
    bsimpsen said:
    bsimpsen said:

It’s quite widely known, though perhaps not to you, that Apple uses "X" to indicate an upgrade to A series processors.
    Except the conversation is about M series processors.  If you knew that. You even quoted my “M3x.” Do try to keep up old chap. 
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Rogue01 said:
    I agree. Apple used to have a clear rhyme and reason for its marketing. These days it seems like anything goes. Still hope they just call it “MacBook” as it makes the most sense. 
  • Reply 17 of 32
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    Rogue01 said:
    The Air is supposed to be small and light weight. .  
    This may have been the original intention but Apple has deviated from that designation quite a bit with subsequent products. I’d describe current “Air” branded products as being consumer (or mainstream) focused versions that pull in a few, but not all, key features from their peers in the Pro line. The iPad Air versus iPad Pro  exemplifies this approach more so than any other Apple product, followed by the MacBook Air versus MacBook Pro.

Air designated products seem to couple excellent ergonomics (enhanced by the fan-less design of the MacBook Air), well balanced though not extreme performance, and a design that holds back on some of the higher end bells and whistles that entice Pro users. If I had to guess I’d say that Apple looks at a Pro version of a product and asks itself “What are the (top-N) most important features that (some percentage) of all potential buyers are looking for to come up with an Air version of the product.

Of course, since all users even within targeted categories have never been one homogeneous group all with the same needs, and because Apple usually offers spec upgrades for individual products, the customer’s choice between an Air version and Pro version of a product can still be a bit difficult. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 18 of 32
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    It’s gonna be a toss between M2 and M3…
    M1 is no more 
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 19 of 32
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    dewme said:
    Rogue01 said:
    The Air is supposed to be small and light weight. .  
    This may have been the original intention but Apple has deviated from that designation quite a bit with subsequent products. I’d describe current “Air” branded products as being consumer (or mainstream) focused versions that pull in a few, but not all, key features from their peers in the Pro line. The iPad Air versus iPad Pro  exemplifies this approach more so than any other Apple product, followed by the MacBook Air versus MacBook Pro.

Air designated products seem to couple excellent ergonomics (enhanced by the fan-less design of the MacBook Air), well balanced though not extreme performance, and a design that holds back on some of the higher end bells and whistles that entice Pro users. If I had to guess I’d say that Apple looks at a Pro version of a product and asks itself “What are the (top-N) most important features that (some percentage) of all potential buyers are looking for to come up with an Air version of the product.

Of course, since all users even within targeted categories have never been one homogeneous group all with the same needs, and because Apple usually offers spec upgrades for individual products, the customer’s choice between an Air version and Pro version of a product can still be a bit difficult. 
    Yep. It seems Apple is calling their low cost products just by the product name (MacBook, iPad, iPhone, iMac), consumer level products “Air” (MacBook Air, iPad Air) and professional grade “Pro” (MacBook Pro, iPad Pro, iPhone Pro, Mac Pro and iMac Pro). Seems legit and hopefully they stick to it and expand it across the line up (although iPhone Air would sound silly; but why not drop the “mini” from the Mac mini?). 
    edited April 2023 9secondkox2
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Now I’m wondering if the chip is a binned M3. 

Perhaps giving Apple an opportunity to produce M3s early and have an outlet for the processors with cores that need to be deactivated. Rather than going in the Pro models, the new Air can kickstart the process. TSMC has got to be close to ready for iPhone A17 supply. So the timing may just work out. 

Then again… it could just be an M2. 
    williamlondon