Apple and Google are working together to reduce AirTag & other tracker stalking

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2023
Apple and Google are partnering to make it harder for tracking beacons like AirTag to be used for stalking, by proposing a standard to prevent misuse.

AirTag
AirTag

While intended to keep track of lost items, products like AirTag have also been used for malicious purposes, such as stalking. Apple and Google want to change that by working together on a new standard for the product category.

Announced on Tuesday, the two tech giants jointly submitted a proposed industry specification that would allow Bluetooth location tracking devices to be compatible with unauthorized tracking detection systems and alerts across both iOS and Android.

Other companies have also expressed support for the initiative, including Samsung, Tile, Chipolo, eufy Security, and Pebblebee.

Presently, tracking devices rely on specific device ecosystems to work, such as iPhones and the Find My network for AirTag. However, notifications are also device-dependent, so iPhone users will see anti-stalking notifications if an extra AirTag is in their bag, but an Android device wouldn't, other than occasional beeps from the AirTag itself.

The standard would therefore make it so that iPhone and Android users would get the warnings, regardless of whether the tracker is an AirTag or another compatible with Android.

"Apple launched AirTag to give users the peace of mind knowing where to find their most important items," said Ron Huang, Apple's vice president of Sensing and Connectivity. "We built AirTag and the Find My network with a set of proactive features to discourage unwanted tracking -- a first in the industry -- and we continue to make improvements to help ensure the technology is being used as intended."

Huang continues "This new industry specification builds upon the AirTag protections, and through collaboration with Google results in a critical step forward to help combat unwanted tracking across iOS and Android."

"Bluetooth trackers have created tremendous user benefits, but they also bring the potential of unwanted tracking, which requires industrywide action to solve," said Dave Burke, Google's vice president of Engineering for Android. "Android has an unwavering commitment to protecting users, and will continue to develop strong safeguards and collaborate with the industry to help combat the misuse of Bluetooth tracking devices."

The specification was submitted as an Internet-Draft through the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), a standards development organization. For three months, the specification is open to review and comment from external parties, after which Apple and Google will address feedback and make adjustments.

A production implementation of the specification is expected by the end of 2023, which will then be supported in future releases of both iOS and Android.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    jas99jas99 Posts: 150member
    Very responsible, Apple. Thank you. 
    radarthekatmacguiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 21
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Google is the king of stalking 
    Dooofuswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Fred257Fred257 Posts: 237member
    Like I’ve mentioned here many times. Being the victim of actual psychopaths myself I’m glad to see Apple doing something about this. Stalking can and does end up in people losing their lives. Stalkers are usually delusional and cannot stand the fact that this person is out of their control. Psychopaths (Malignant Narcissists) cannot stand this fact and some want to actually destroy the person being stalked because they feel out of control. Stalkers have an external locus of control, which means that when a person leaves them they cannot process that effectively. Instead, they rely on people to control so they can feel in control themselves. I’m glad the industry is finally stepping up to the plate and taking responsibility.
    edited May 2023 radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 21
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,010member
    Fred257 said:
    Like I’ve mentioned here many times. Being the victim of actual psychopaths myself I’m glad to see Apple doing something about this. Stalking can and does end up in people losing their lives. Stalkers are usually delusional and cannot stand the fact that this person is out of their control. Psychopaths (Malignant Narcissists) cannot stand this fact and some want to actually destroy the person being stalked because they feel out of control. Stalkers have an external locus of control, which means that when a person leaves them they cannot process that effectively. Instead, they rely on people to control so they can feel in control themselves. I’m glad the industry is finally stepping up to the plate and taking responsibility.
    It's worth noting again that similar trackers have been out there for years, and no one was addressing the stalking issue until Apple entered the space. Other manufacturers of these devices are expressing support for an industry standard because how can they not? 

Tile initially responded to Apple's anti-stalking feature by implementing one for their own devices, but then quickly followed that up with a workaround where a user could turn off that feature by promising to pay $1m if they get caught using a tile tracker to stalk someone. The psychopaths mentioned right here would of course check that box without hesitation, because malignant narcissists also tend to believe they're invincible and thus would never get caught. They'd also figure that in the unlikely event they did get caught, the civil suit required to collect that $1m would have to get in line behind the related criminal case for murder, kidnapping, or whatever. Hopefully an industry standard will force Tile to close that glaring loophole.
    radarthekatXedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 21
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,872member
    Don’t use them just because you can doesn’t mean you should.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 21
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    This will turn into a cat and mouse game in the end. They will think they're better and then criminals will figure out another way. Criminals while dumb, are also very smart at the same time and have time to sit around all day and figure this shit out. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 21
    bala1234bala1234 Posts: 145member
    Industry standard would indeed be good. Especially if the devices can be used interchangeably between iOS and Android.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 21
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    No link to the proposal?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 21
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,245member
    Google is the king of stalking 

Yes, but having Google on board with this project gives it massive credibility for those that can't see the evil in Google.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 21
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    LOL...

Gotta love 'em all, right? 

Lucky for us all that Apple isn't as ill-informed and "a'feared" :)
    edited May 2023 muthuk_vanalingamctt_zh
  • Reply 11 of 21
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Dooofus said:
    No chance whatsoever I, or almost any Apple customer, would use a product that gives Android/Google access to its location data. This is why we buy Apple products to begin with.
    That's a good point, Google will have access to AirTags ID and their locations if the tag simply passes someone with an Android phone. Google will be able to see where that ID is moving, and potentially link the ID to an individual when they access Google Maps with their login by matching the two GPS locations. Technically, Apple will be able to do the same except no Android user has access to or has a desire to use Apple Maps so Apple will have the short end of the stick here.
    caladanianDooofuswilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 21
    pulseimagespulseimages Posts: 604member
    AppleZulu said:
    Fred257 said:
    It's worth noting again that similar trackers have been out there for years, and no one was addressing the stalking issue until Apple entered the space. Other manufacturers of these devices are expressing support for an industry standard because how can they not? 

Tile initially responded to Apple's anti-stalking feature by implementing one for their own devices, but then quickly followed that up with a workaround where a user could turn off that feature by promising to pay $1m if they get caught using a tile tracker to stalk someone. The psychopaths mentioned right here would of course check that box without hesitation, because malignant narcissists also tend to believe they're invincible and thus would never get caught. They'd also figure that in the unlikely event they did get caught, the civil suit required to collect that $1m would have to get in line behind the related criminal case for murder, kidnapping, or whatever. Hopefully an industry standard will force Tile to close that glaring loophole.
    Because Apple is the 800 pound Gorilla. 
  • Reply 13 of 21
    caladaniancaladanian Posts: 380member
    It’s a shame that stalking prevention and theft protection apparently can’t be solved both. :neutral: 
    macguiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 21
    XedXed Posts: 2,569member
    BiC said:
    Those tags are morally wrong.  If you didn't purchase them - they will follow you.  This is my third post about these tags.  My wife uses them like candy.  I don't have the time to check every spot - I'm actually serious.  I take the BUS.
    Are you a troll or making a joke? Can’t tell.
    roundaboutnowwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 21
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    Should have done this before they launched the damned things.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 16 of 21
    doggonedoggone Posts: 380member
    It amazes me how every innovation gets exploited by the criminal element.  It takes years for the industry to catch up and provide some level of protection.  In the meantime many people's lives are being ruined.  I expect ChatGPT to be a major source for criminal to exploit people.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 21
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    It’s a shame that stalking prevention and theft protection apparently can’t be solved both. :neutral: 
    Yeah, I use them for tracking all my keys and would like to use a couple to locate my vehicles just in case. But people over property and I'm onboard. Using AirTags to track your car or whatever isn't LoJack but it doesn't require a separate subscription service. Still, I vote people over property.

It does stink that people what to hold Apple up as the poster boy of stalking, but if there's a tech concept that somebody's unhappy with — it's Apple's fault.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 21
    macxpress said:
    This will turn into a cat and mouse game in the end. They will think they're better and then criminals will figure out another way. Criminals while dumb, are also very smart at the same time and have time to sit around all day and figure this shit out. 
    As they say:  The problem with trying to make something idiot proof is that we grossly underestimate the ingenuity of idiots. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 21
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,727member
    Apple doesn’t need to work with Google for this - unless the way they’re thinking of inpltt we meeting has to do with privacy invasion - I.e. tracking your trackers and tracing back to your Apple ID. 

Just adding a notification to android wouldn’t take much. 
    edited May 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 21
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Apple doesn’t need to work with Google for this
    Apple disagrees.
    muthuk_vanalingam