Unionized Apple Store seeks pay raises, customer tips

Posted:
in General Discussion
The Towson, Maryland Apple Store that unionized is entering negotiations again, with workers seeking the ability to accept customer tips.

Apple still hasn't updated this aging image of Towson
Apple still hasn't updated this aging image of Towson

Apple Towson Town Center in Maryland was the first Apple Store to unionize. Other stores have attempted to unionize but haven't made much progress beyond a store in Oklahoma City.

According to a report from Bloomberg, the Maryland Apple Store will enter negotiations with Apple again on Wednesday and Thursday. The usual pay increases, more vacation time, and other perks are here, but one proposal includes the ability for customers to tip.

"We realize that this is a negotiation, and these are initial proposals," the union said in a statement. "Our goal is and always has been to bring back an acceptable contract for the membership to ratify."

The proposal calls for as much as a 10% raise for some employees. Also, a $1 per hour bonus for employees that become first-aid certified.

The union is also seeking overtime pay that is doubled after an 8-hour shift or 40-hour work week. Weekend work would also earn increased pay.

Another demand is for higher pay over a larger slate of holidays. They also seek to extend paid bereavement leave from 10 days per occurrence to 45 days max per year -- including for pets and close friends.

Finally, the customer tip change. Workers want to give customers the opportunity to tip at checkout at 3%, 5%, or a custom amount.

"This will allow thankful patrons the ability to express gratitude for a job well done without any obligations," the union wrote Apple. "All monies collected through this manner would be dispersed to members of the bargaining unit biweekly based on any hours worked."

Apple has participated in union-busting efforts since Apple Stores have begun seeking to unionize. Apple Towson Town Center is among only a couple of stores currently negotiating with Apple.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    mikethemartianmikethemartian Posts: 1,326member
    One of the preset tip options should be “Don’t take any wooden nickels”.
    pulseimages
  • Reply 2 of 43
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I don't mind unionized workers collectively bargaining for higher wages. To me that is just fair and square. But tips? Please no!! I know this would only be in the US so wouldn't affect customers in civilized countries, but I please ... this would be a big step in cheapening the brand at the customer facing level. 
    rob53robin huberentropysbonobobchadbagbloggerblogwilliamlondonrotateleftbyteappleinsideruserwilliamh
  • Reply 3 of 43
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,339member
    Having lived in the USA (my birth country) for 23 years and in Japan for 29 years, I must say Japan's culture of paying people decently enough to eliminate tipping entirely is the right course.  More respect is given to customers, and all guesswork about how much to tip is eliminated.  

While it has been cultural in the USA to tip long before I was born, that doesn't make it good or right, especially so because it is EXPECTED even if service isn't great.  When you don't have tipping, nobody thinks about good or bad service so much, and the people who provided the said service still get paid.  If a restaurant or hotel offers terrible service, rather than withdraw a tip, people simply won't come back.  Simple!

Not having to pay tips would revolutionize the USA for the better.  Naturally, anyone in a service industry or the restaurant industry will passionately say otherwise, but such comes as no surprise.  People defend the status quo.  But that defense doesn't make it right.  Japan and many other countries prove you can exist happily without tipping, and it's less stressful on the person who needs to pay as well.  The two biggest reasons Japanese people get stressed when visiting the USA is (a) you have to be on your guard because it's less safe than Japan, and (2) you have to figure out the convoluted tipping culture!

Patrons are thankful, but they shouldn't be culturally shamed into paying even more for already pricey Apple gear.  If given a choice between a tipping Apple Store and a non-tipping one, I would of course go out of my way to visit the non-tipping store every time.  We should be able to express gratitude from the heart, not from the wallet.  
    dewmerusswdope_ahminemuthuk_vanalingambonobobwilliamhchasm
  • Reply 4 of 43
    I’m 100% for unionizing, and for higher wages. But offering customers tipping options on checkout would be an overall negative experience. It’s not like food services where it’s a couple dollars, at Apple Stores you’re rarely buying something that costs less than a hundred. Also all tips if collected should go to the employee who earned them, rather than a pool. Which means sales would earn the majority of tips despite often being less responsible for the store’s overall exceptional experiences. 

I think employees should be allowed to accept cash tips if offered or gifts, but I don’t think they should be permitted to bring it up to customers, too great of a chance of somebody thinking they can make extra money by dropping hints to impressionable seniors. 

Realistically, most Apple Store employees should be making significantly more than they do in all regions. Apple’s stores make more money square foot than basically anyone else in retail.

Apple should be cutting back on payouts to investors (I say that as somebody with apple shares.) The people in their stores work hard and deal with some of the most ridiculous people and their bonkers expectations of how products should behave.

At the bare minimum every store’s wages should be arrived at based on a number of factors, how much does a 2 bedroom apartment cost in the area they work in. How does the employee’s customer satisfaction scores stack up. (They should also completely overhaul the way they collect this data, customers should have to type in the name of the person they’re reviewing and if it doesn’t match the employee it should be disregarded (feel free to show them the person’s name on the survey, but if they are giving feedback that will affect someone’s pay you should at least have to write their name and possibly figure out that Cindy is not the name of the six foot four guy who told you his name was Jeff.) this would also filter out negative feedback from people who are just mad that they talked with someone who had an accent or who they thought they should be legally allowed to own. 

Hopefully this is a union tactic to get Apple’s lawyers to simply say, “yes tips are a dumb idea we’ll boost pay by 2%”
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 5 of 43
    macmarcusmacmarcus Posts: 84member
    Tips?!?!? The shark has now been jumped.....silly unions.
    Madbummike1pulseimagesDooofus
  • Reply 6 of 43
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    Tips at the Apple Store? Are these people really that stupid? Who do they think they are? Their jobs can be replaced by my 12 year old son!

apple, let these morons strike and replace them in 12 hours 
  • Reply 7 of 43
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    Apple retail workers are the highest paid in the industry. Apple should just move to AI in store support and online sales only and fire all these idiots 
    Dooofussdw2001williamh
  • Reply 8 of 43
    greginpraguegreginprague Posts: 484member
    No one is complaining about a corporation being asked to offer up to 45 days paid bereavement for pets and close friends? Employees can just buy a bunch of goldfish. If the standard is five work days a week that would be an extra 9 weeks off per year paid.  What insanity is this?
    DooofusCuriouserandcurious
  • Reply 9 of 43
    No one is complaining about a corporation being asked to offer up to 45 days paid bereavement for pets and close friends? Employees can just buy a bunch of goldfish. If the standard is five work days a week that would be an extra 9 weeks off per year paid.  What insanity is this?
    It’s bargaining. The union likely doesn’t expect to get 9 weeks of bereavement time or tips, but they can use that as their first things to drop or lower to get toward their actual goal. I agree, both are stupid but it’s a game. 
  • Reply 10 of 43
    RobJenkRobJenk Posts: 11member
    No tips!

Especially not when only that one store would require them, and none of the other Apple shops would.  That would be crazy confusing for customers.

The Apple store experience is really taking a down turn.  I can see people avoiding retail Apple shops if more stores start the same pattern of tipping.  Apple customers might opt to just buy online instead, and maybe visit the retail store only to ask a few questions in person. It's possible to return items and get service without visiting a retail store these days.

With inflation at an all time high, and with Apple selling fewer Macs as a result, the last thing consumers need is a higher cost due to unionization and tipping.  That will provoke more people to just save their money and keep using the devices they already have.
    Dooofus
  • Reply 11 of 43
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,373member
    Would a "thank you" and a hug suffice as a tip?

Then again, that may be too weird, especially if they're still grieving from the loss of their favorite pet hamster.

Too soon, way too soon. 
  • Reply 12 of 43
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    The most stupid part of the tipping proposal was that they would be pooled and distributed to all the employees. So, even if you wanted to tip because you received great service, that person would only see a tiny portion of the tip.

"All monies collected through this manner would be dispersed to members of the bargaining unit biweekly based on any hours worked."

entropysDooofus
  • Reply 13 of 43
    dope_ahminedope_ahmine Posts: 253member
    Oh no!!!  I wanted them ionized.
    williamh
  • Reply 14 of 43
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Here is my tip 
    “don’t encourage your union to make over the top bargaining points. It kills any sympathy the general public might have for your position, and makes you look greedy and stupid.”
    DooofusNYC362stompywilliamh
  • Reply 15 of 43
    pulseimagespulseimages Posts: 603member
    Here’s a tip: Don’t eat yellow snow. 
    sflagelNYC362
  • Reply 16 of 43
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    I get that tipping for wait staff is culturally ingrained. It probably has historical reasons whereby the first saloon owners did not want to pay staff but allowed people to wait on tables if the customers paid for it (in the UK, you still have to order food and drinks at the bar and carry your own drinks to the table). I would also add bell hops to this category. 

But it has since infiltrated every nook of life, even where fixed prices for independent contractors already exist (hairdressing, ski instructors, Ubers and cabs). 
  • Reply 17 of 43
    gremlingremlin Posts: 64member
    I know little about the tipping culture in the US, but my understanding is at this point it is not optional as the staff are presumptively taxed on the assumed tip. Would this not be the case if apple allowed it? And if so is the tip not then just as mandatory?
  • Reply 18 of 43
    NickoTTNickoTT Posts: 9member
    Bereavement leave for pets... seriously? Also, how do you define a close friend? Tipping in this country is getting out of control. Just add a few dollars to the damn upfront price and keep it simple for your customers. 
    EsquireCatsentropys
  • Reply 19 of 43
    beowulfschmidtbeowulfschmidt Posts: 2,139member
    gremlin said:
    I know little about the tipping culture in the US, but my understanding is at this point it is not optional as the staff are presumptively taxed on the assumed tip. Would this not be the case if apple allowed it? And if so is the tip not then just as mandatory?
    Tipping is entirely optional, even if some tipped workers would have you believe otherwise.  Customers are effectively, and successfully, guilted into tipping.

The real issue is the provision in the wage laws that allows employers to screw over their tipped employees by assuming that tips will make up a certain percentage of the worker's income, and can deduct that amount from what the employer pays.  They can do that regardless of whether or not the employee actually makes any tips at all.  In addition, they can deduct the taxes on that tipped income.  The result is that many tipped employees make little to nothing on their actual paychecks.

It's a horrible situation, but employers of tipped employees, especially restaurateurs, claim their business would be ruined by requiring them to pay full wages.  Which is, of course, a horseshit claim for which they have no proof.
    dewme
  • Reply 20 of 43
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    gremlin said:
    Tipping is entirely optional, even if some tipped workers would have you believe otherwise.  Customers are effectively, and successfully, guilted into tipping.

The real issue is the provision in the wage laws that allows employers to screw over their tipped employees by assuming that tips will make up a certain percentage of the worker's income, and can deduct that amount from what the employer pays.  They can do that regardless of whether or not the employee actually makes any tips at all.  In addition, they can deduct the taxes on that tipped income.  The result is that many tipped employees make little to nothing on their actual paychecks.

It's a horrible situation, but employers of tipped employees, especially restaurateurs, claim their business would be ruined by requiring them to pay full wages.  Which is, of course, a horseshit claim for which they have no proof.
    One could argue that wait staff work for the customer, taking their order, delivering it to the kitchen, bringing the food, clearing up, and billing. 
    I am sure there are historical reasons for this US custom. Just know that one will pay the wait staff on top of the bill, just like one adds tax on top of the price. 
    The restaurant only provides the kitchen and the tables. Just like Uber only provides a platform and the drivers are paid by the riders.