Collection of *confirmed* Panther info.

Comments

• Reply 61 of 227
    naderbynaderby Posts: 131member
    Well, if it is fake, it's been done well. The Apple Menu 'apple' and the logo also match perfectly.
  • Reply 62 of 227
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    here's the fun part! Some little details make it more credible, tohugh obviosly I take all this stuff with a grain of salt. The pile on the desktop looks wonky with how they truly look "tossed" onto one another. Looks like it's just a bunch of text clippings. The icon with the compass and bleprint is Sketch.app. I've always liked that icon a lot, maybe they've found a better use for it (yeah, right). The consolidate item is interesting.... I could go either way on that thing.
  • Reply 63 of 227
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

The consolidate item is interesting.... I could go either way on that thing.

So what would be 'consolidated'? The 'pile'? What would 'consolidating a pile' do?

Sounds painful!
  • Reply 64 of 227
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    yeah, it IS sketch.app from the developer tools..

that consildate thing is a little...iffy

well, it seems to be real, but who knows, it is easier to fake a screen shot than it is hardware
  • Reply 65 of 227
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    More about Panther, this time from macosXrumors :

Quote:

Panther part 2: new versions of iAppz, new features on system appz, final Safari, exit Explorer. UPDATED!

UPDATE: Some sites recently revealed a feature called piles that is maybe the same feature my sources were mentioning when they told me about new navigation features on Panther. Our friends of Apple-X.net have two screenshots of what they call build 7D15 of Panther. The first shows the "New Pile" item of the File menu and the second shows how will a pile will look like. We can't be sure if it's real screenshots of Panther or not but it's interesting to have an idea of what we may see on Panther.

For this second part of my article dedicated on Panther, I've questioned my sources on features that we'll find on new versions of the system applications and iAppz that are going to be included with Mac OS X Panther.

- As we can guess, a final version of Safari will be released with Panther. Some sources told me that Internet Explorer would definitely be ousted from Mac OS X.

- New release of iTunes should come separately very soon. Note that it is something I have already reported on an article posted on March the 14th and it looks like it is more and more confirmed. The new version of iTunes will of course also be included in Panther.

- Sherlock will probably be improved again with channels loading faster, better .Mac integration and online ordering capabilities.

- Mail is also said to get new features with a major update (I couldn't get further details).

- A new version of iSync, if it doesn't come separately, will come with Panther. This version will add compatibility with several devices and improve .Mac synchronizing (synchronizing of Safari bookmarks has been mentioned).

- iCal will also be updated with minor changes to the GUI and new features of which I couldn't get details.

- Disc burning will probably get some new features. Some sources mentioned the possibility of burning ISO 9660 volumes and better support for data-DVD burning. It is also possible that Apple is planning a more user friendly GUI for this application but I couldn't get confirmation from reliable sources about that.

- Address Book will add, according to some new sources, advanced export features that will allow you to make lists of contacts to print or to publish.

- An improved version of iChat is also expected. Some sources mentioned video-conferencing capabilities, support for other networks and possibility to send SMS (via Bluetooth and/or .Mac).

- QuickTime is going to be updated and may finally fix some bugs for the popular DivX codec (actually with .avi files) but will not necessarily include it in this new version. It is also possible that the full screen feature will become available to non-registered users. Actually it looks like one of the reasons why QuickTime partially lost its popularity is the fact that the full screen feature is not present on the free player. It is not sure whether it will be numbered 6.5 or, as some sources mentioned, "version 6.2".

- Apple will certainly add Rendezvous related features to many of its applications and even better integration between them.

- As with Jaguar, most of the iApps' updates will be also made available for free download but I guess that there will be some surprises that no rumour site will have mentioned - like it happens on every major upgrade to Mac OS.

It is possible that Apple releases new iApps with Panther but at the moment I don't have any reliable information on that subject. I believe that, once again, it will be quite worthwhile purchasing this upgrade to Mac OS X. For those who have been Mac OS X users since the beginning and believe that it's getting too expensive to pay each year for upgrades to an operating system that started becoming mature only lately, I'd suggest you compare all the money you have spent for Mac OS X since its release with the price of Windows XP. I don't know if there will be a "part 3" article on Panther but be sure that if I get further interesting news, you'll be informed as soon as it is properly verified. So stay tuned and those who can help me, it's here! Note to some quite awkward readers: sending me questions using the anonymous form has no sense as I won't be able to answer to you .

• Reply 66 of 227
    Quote:

- A new version of iSync, if it doesn't come separately, will come with Panther. This version will add compatibility with several devices and improve .Mac synchronizing (synchronizing of Safari bookmarks has been mentioned).

Safari thinks its doing this already. Sometimes when I try to save a bookmark with beta 2, it tells me it can't because iSync is using the bookmarks file. If I just click "OK" then try to save the bookmark again, it's OK. It's probably a bug, but it obviously thinks it's getting all iSynced up.
  • Reply 67 of 227
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    BuonRotto,

Safari is trying to sync something. I have been trying to use Daylite, a CRM app made for OS X. This app does not use the Addressbook as the central repository. Instead, it tries to sync with the addressbook. This is the crash I keep getting when it tries to do this.

"2003-04-06 20:19:32.264 Address Book[562] ABAddressBook could not aquireLock: 1: 'Framework/AddressBook/ABAddressBook.m'\t\tline: 1448

2003-04-06 20:19:32.264 Safari[519] ABAddressBook could not aquireLock: 1: 'Framework/AddressBook/ABAddressBook.m'\t\tline: 2287

2003-04-06 20:19:32.288 SystemUIServer[429] ABAddressBook could not aquireLock: 1: 'Framework/AddressBook/ABAddressBook.m'\t\tline: 2287"

Notice the Safari reference. I believe I sent Daylite a post that you made similar to your last about Safari and the bookmarks. I use iSync over .mac to sync my AddressBook. This creates a duplicate/new file for your addresses, etc. Daylite appears to be trying to sync with the original file vs. the duplicate/new file that iSync creates. Something is going on here that may possibly come to light in the next version of iSync.
  • Reply 68 of 227
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcmac

Notice the Safari reference. I believe I sent Daylite a post that you made similar to your last about Safari and the bookmarks. I use iSync over .mac to sync my AddressBook. This creates a duplicate/new file for your addresses, etc. Daylite appears to be trying to sync with the original file vs. the duplicate/new file that iSync creates. Something is going on here that may possibly come to light in the next version of iSync.

Safari uses AddressBook for AutoFill.
  • Reply 69 of 227
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    That makes sense. Thanks.
  • Reply 70 of 227
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Why not? Because Cocoa is Objective-C and therefore inefficient, incompatible with every other platform, almost impossible to interface to, doesn't link with C or any other language, uses vast numbers of incomprehensible "frameworks", uses an object-oriented methodology that's unlike everyone else's...

In other words, the only reasons for using Cocoa are marketing ones. The reasons for not using Cocoa are technological. Which is a more valid reason for selecting a programming API?

Mac OS X is based on Unix. Unix is a portable operating system for portable applications. Cocoa isn't portable.

[ edit by Amorph: ACK! I meant to reply, and I clicked edit! I'm really sorry about that. I restored what I could. Mea maxima culpa ]
  • Reply 71 of 227
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Mac OS X is based on Unix. Unix is a portable operating system for portable applications. Cocoa isn't portable.

I thought Cocoa could have C and C++ code wrapped into its ObjC classes, essentially reskinning (IB) the app in question? Actually, Cocoa is portable, just that Apple hasn't ported it. Maybe at some point when a critical mass or mass appeal has been reached, Apple will do ust that. Just speculatin' though. This is a very important reason why we have Carbon/CoreFoundation no matter what.
  • Reply 72 of 227
    lfroglfrog Posts: 16member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Why not? Because Cocoa is Objective-C and therefore inefficient, incompatible with every other platform, almost impossible to interface to, doesn't link with C or any other language, uses vast numbers of incomprehensible "frameworks", uses an object-oriented methodology that's unlike everyone else's...

Thats funny, I am able to link to C and C++. In fact, Objective-C is a small superset of C. You can use C and C++ code intermingled with Objective-C code. Objective-C itself is available on other platforms. You are correct that Apple currently does not provide the Cocoa frameworks on any other platforms. There is however GNUStep, which is a close replica. As far as vast number of frameworks, in Cocoa there are 2, Foundation and the AppKit. Also, they are not very large even though they have a rich feature set. You must not have ever done any Java either. Probably not C++, but I am not qualified to address the various libraries used in that language, although I am pretty sure there are more than 2.

What is the "Objective-C Methodogy"? Objective-C itself does not provide any methodology. You can use any you want. Objective-C tends to promote using an Object Oriented Methodology, because, well, it uses objects. What methodology are you referring to? It is dynamic, perhaps that is what is throwing you off. Going from Java to Objective-C is pretty easy. Now if you are not familiar with Object Oriented Concepts, the step from C can be somewhat steep, but only because of the concepts. It took me a few hours for the syntax and about a week to be confortable with the Object Oriented Paradigm.

As far as efficiency, you must be referring to runtime efficiency, not programmer efficiency. You are correct that it is slower that pure C, or C++, but that is due to the dynamic dispatching of messages at run time, which allows you to do all sorts of neat things that are not possible, or are extremely difficult, in languages like C and C++, where there is a static mapping to a function symbol at compile time. If pure performance is needed in Objective-C, you can use C or C++ for those small sets of code. However, the runtime itself is actually very efficient and performance issues are mostly due to programming issues, not language or runtime issues.

Finally, interfacing to the Cocoa frameworks is not difficult. It can be done and Apple actually has some pointers. It is down-right ease to do with Java (gets many of its concepts and ideas from Obj-C), Python, Perl, and Ruby. There may be others that have the link already set up for you, but I am unsure. You may be correct about calling Objective-C from C++ (not the other way around). This is due to the static nature of C++ and its inability to handle the dynamic nature of Objective-C. As mentioned earlier, it is trivial to call C++ from Obj-C.
  • Reply 73 of 227
    david mdavid m Posts: 32member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

If so, it'd better be able to look a whole lot like HFS+, or all kinds of stuff will break.

Or go with a new file system and use a VFS plugin to provide HFS+ compatability?

Radical for Apple I know...
  • Reply 74 of 227
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by David M

Or go with a new file system and use a VFS plugin to provide HFS+ compatability?

Radical for Apple I know...

Would still break lots of old apps.
  • Reply 75 of 227
    LoopRumors will supposedly post more information about panther tomorrow morning.

Quote:

LoopRumors has gathere and will post details of Mac OS X Panther tomorrow morning. Stay tuned.

Exxxxiting...
  • Reply 76 of 227
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

Exxxxiting...

Well I won't lose any sleep about it. But fresh info would be nice (something other then more pile info.
  • Reply 77 of 227
    Well, here it is:

Quote:

Mac OS X Panther details

Originally scheduled for May 19-23 in San Jose, the 2003 Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) will now be held June 23-27 at San Francisco's Moscone Center. Apple made this change in order to prepare for the next version of its Macintosh operating system, code named "Panther." Panther will mark the third significant upgrade to Mac OS X since its debut. LoopRumors has been hard at work gathering information about the upcoming feline. Here's what we've learned:

System-wide metal. Panther's applications system-wide will sport a metal interface. When LoopRumors first reported a system-wide metal interface on March 18th, it was misinterpreted throughout Macintosh sites all over the net. Most applications already support the metal theme.

Flatter Aqua. The overall Aqua appearance in Panther will be flatter with less dimension. The last iChat update late last year showed signs in this direction with the red yellow and green window controls flatter, appearing more recessed within the window. The recently released iTunes also shows signs with the flatter play, fast forward and rewind buttons.

Improved Dock. You will now be able to control document windows that are sent to the dock. Click and hold on the window's icon in the Dock to Save, Print or Close that window.

Piles. Piles will work just like piles of paper stacked up on your desk. Instead of documents having their own individual space on your computer, you group them together in a Pile and see the contents of that Pile by clicking on it.

iChat 2.0. As we reported on December 5th with a subsequent report on March 24th, iChat will be Apple's answer to Microsoft's NetMeeting. iChat 2.0 will support videoconferencing with video streams at broadcast quality 30fps, taking advantage of a new compression that Apple has been developing. Other new features will include information on how long a buddy has been signed on and access to member profiles.

Safari 1.0. The Safari web browser will be included as a golden master. Information on new features is still varied, we'll have more on this soon.

iWorks. Apple is developing a new software package that will rival Microsoft's Office X. On March 15, 2003, ThinkSecret first reported that Apple was working on a new productivity suite. iWorks will consist of a word processing application tentatively called "Document," Apple's Keynote presentation software, a spreadsheet/database application, and an updated Mail 2.0 app.

Advanced Mouse Support Built-in. Support for most third party mice with two and three buttons built in. Jaguar already contains support for scroll wheel mice. On April 30th, LoopRumors reported on a Bluetooth mouse in the works. We stand by this report.

Advanced Software Update. Several sources indicate that the Software Update Control Panel is redesigned. One report specifies that SUCP will maintain a history of all purchases made through one-click, i.e. iTunes Music and software purchased through the Apple Store, will always be accessible for download through that User ID.

64-Bit Support. Panther is written to take full advantage of 64-Bit architecture. Further evidence that Apple will adopt IBM's new PowerPC 970 chip. Although most Application written at the time of release will only be optimized for 32-Bit.

We are still making sense of some of the information we were given. Stay tuned for more information on Panther available on LoopRumors in the next few days.

And there's only

left
  • Reply 78 of 227
    So they are fiddling once more with Aqua.

I wonder if all the buttons will gain the new 'recessed' look?
  • Reply 79 of 227
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    It would not be very good if altering windows background had a higher priority than metadata file system on Apple's to-do list. All in all, this report looks very suspicious to me.
    Quote:

iWorks will consist of a word processing application tentatively called "Document," Apple's Keynote presentation software, a spreadsheet/database application, and an updated Mail 2.0 app

So you make a document in Document, select it in Finder, Get Info and see 'Document document'?
  • Reply 80 of 227
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

System-wide metal. Panther's applications system-wide will sport a metal interface. When LoopRumors first reported a system-wide metal interface on March 18th, it was misinterpreted throughout Macintosh sites all over the net. Most applications already support the metal theme.

Maybe they (or we) are confusing their "metal theme" with brushed metal. DVD Studio Pro 2 and Final Cut Pro 4 sport a new theme which is neither brushed metal nor aqua. It uses Aqua-like controls, but is darker and looks somewhat more professional.

Still I doubt this will be system-wide. I think they're just going to split it further (an awful idea): Aqua for general purpose, New Metal for pro apps, Brushed Metal for consumer apps.

Quote:

Flatter Aqua. The overall Aqua appearance in Panther will be flatter with less dimension.

Eh? Didn't you just say they'd get rid of Aqua as-is.

Quote:

The last iChat update late last year showed signs in this direction with the red yellow and green window controls flatter, appearing more recessed within the window. The recently released iTunes also shows signs with the flatter play, fast forward and rewind buttons.

But that's Brushed Metal, not Aqua. Aqua is already quite nice.

Quote:

Improved Dock. You will now be able to control document windows that are sent to the dock. Click and hold on the window's icon in the Dock to Save, Print or Close that window.

Nice.

Quote:

Piles. Piles will work just like piles of paper stacked up on your desk. Instead of documents having their own individual space on your computer, you group them together in a Pile and see the contents of that Pile by clicking on it.

Yah, yah *nods*.

Quote:

iChat 2.0. As we reported on December 5th with a subsequent report on March 24th, iChat will be Apple's answer to Microsoft's NetMeeting.

Except that NetMeeting has been dead for a few years

Quote:

iWorks. Apple is developing a new software package that will rival Microsoft's Office X. On March 15, 2003, ThinkSecret first reported that Apple was working on a new productivity suite. iWorks will consist of a word processing application tentatively called "Document," Apple's Keynote presentation software, a spreadsheet/database application, and an updated Mail 2.0 app.

Spreadsheet or database? That's two different things. I can't imagine using FileMaker for spreadsheets.

Quote:

Advanced Software Update. Several sources indicate that the Software Update Control Panel is redesigned. One report specifies that SUCP will maintain a history of all purchases made through one-click, i.e. iTunes Music and software purchased through the Apple Store, will always be accessible for download through that User ID.

Er, no.