Comments

• Reply 141 of 158
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

Nie wiem co robic.

• Reply 142 of 158
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Keep Chiraq on a leash and maybe it'll turn out positive. It'll be fun to watch how a unified EU security policy comes out.

That's entertainment.
  • Reply 143 of 158
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Keep Chiraq on a leash and maybe it'll turn out positive. It'll be fun to watch how a unified EU security policy comes out.

That's entertainment.

Be carefull to your butt , dogs bites . Anyway unified EU security police are not for tomorrow. EU is more a economic club than an unified group of countrie. It's hard to play a symphonia with 15 (and next 25) solo players, and harder if you consider that some of these players are real diva.
  • Reply 144 of 158
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Moja dziewcenia jest Polka. Wiedzisz?
  • Reply 145 of 158
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    GDP per capita (purchasing power parity), 2001 [CIA]

US: $36,300

France: $25,700

That's a BIG difference, especially when you factor in the much higher proportion of income most EU countries pay in taxes. IIRC, it's somewhere around 50%, compared to the US's 30%. And it's not only due to longer hours and less unemployment, but the productivity gap is real and growing. It narrowed quite a bit in the 80s and early 90s, but since then the rapid US productivity growth has not been matched in Europe.

So the cliche that Europeans are less rich but happy while Americans are rich and overworked is true, but only to a point.
  • Reply 146 of 158
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

That's a BIG difference, especially when you factor in the much higher proportion of income most EU countries pay in taxes. IIRC, it's somewhere around 50%, compared to the US's 30%. And it's not only due to longer hours and less unemployment, but the productivity gap is real and growing. It narrowed quite a bit in the 80s and early 90s, but since then the rapid US productivity growth has not been matched in Europe.

So the cliche that Europeans are less rich but happy while Americans are rich and overworked is true, but only to a point.

I'm in the top income tax bracket in the country

40% bubba. Most people waaaaaay less.
  • Reply 147 of 158
    Quote:

However i am still searching an Happymeter. YOu can count money, but can we mesure Happyness ?
  • Reply 148 of 158
    Quote:

Moja dziewcenia jest Polka. Wiedzisz?

i don't know many foreign languages, i am not one of this crazy viking able to speak dozens of languages perfectly
  • Reply 149 of 158
    Quote:

Be carefull to your butt , dogs bites . Anyway unified EU security police are not for tomorrow. EU is more a economic club than an unified group of countrie. It's hard to play a symphonia with 15 (and next 25) solo players, and harder if you consider that some of these players are real diva.

Or suck up to the diva next door.

kneelbeforezod: Well written and fair for both sides.

I only got a few things to add.

Regarding the unemplyment figures: When you compare them between europe and US you have to keep in mind that the work force is larger in relative terms in europe (more working women).

Regarding the economy: If you took the danish economy we used a semi-keynes (read social-democratic) economic politic to kick start our economy in the early 90s. It worked and today we have a surplus on both state and national budget and in light of the latest fall of the dollar we have as high GDP per capita as US. So social-democratic economic politics doesn´t nessesary mean that the pile of shared money will be lower.
  • Reply 150 of 158
    Quote:

It looks quite better today with the weak dollar

Quote:

That's a BIG difference, especially when you factor in the much higher proportion of income most EU countries pay in taxes. IIRC, it's somewhere around 50%, compared to the US's 30%.

The money doesn´t dissapear in a black hole. It is used for things you have to pay for on the side: Health care, infrastructure, foreign aid, education etc.

Quote:

And it's not only due to longer hours and less unemployment, but the productivity gap is real and growing. It narrowed quite a bit in the 80s and early 90s, but since then the rapid US productivity growth has not been matched in Europe.

France: GDP - real growth rate: 1.1% (2002 est.)

Germany: GDP - real growth rate: 0.4% (2002 est.)

Denmark: GDP - real growth rate: 1.8% (2002 est.)

US: GDP - real growth rate: 0.3% (2001 est.)
  • Reply 151 of 158
    Quote:

i don't know many foreign languages, i am not one of this crazy viking able to speak dozens of languages perfectly

Je suis compris en France, Pologne, et aux pays Anglophone (c'est a dire le plupart du monde malhereusement). Mais SKANDI ... oh Scandinavie ...
  • Reply 152 of 158
    Quote:

GDP per capita does not properly account for unemployment levels or lthe ength of work week. When making a comparison of economic efficiency, GDP per hour worked (aka labor productivity) is used.

French GDP per hour worked as a percentage of US GDP per hours worked for 2001 was 101.8%
  • Reply 153 of 158
    Quote:

Je suis compris en France, Pologne, et aux pays Anglophone (c'est a dire le plupart du monde malhereusement). Mais SKANDI ... oh Scandinavie ...

Sorry for the confusion. I guess my confusion came from your name, who sound like Viking (just as silly to think that the Borg in Star trek where related to the swedish ) .Ainsi tu viens de Pologne ou un de tes parents est polonais. J'ai un ami qui est polonais d'origine. Je l'ai perdu de vue il ya quelques temps, je me demande ce qu'il devient.
  • Reply 154 of 158
    Harald isn´t from Scandinavia? I´m surprised.
  • Reply 155 of 158
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

GDP per capita does not properly account for unemployment levels or lthe ength of work week. When making a comparison of economic efficiency, GDP per hour worked (aka labor productivity) is used.

French GDP per hour worked as a percentage of US GDP per hours worked for 2001 was 101.8%

Speaking of productivity, one reason to explain why productivity of the french worker is so high, is that it's a necessity when people work only 35 hours per weeK. Nor the industries are able to increase the productivity of their workers, nor they die.

Anyway, even if i work for my own, but probabily more than 35 hours (but i never count) i don't wish to work more time, but just more efficiently. All my plans in the future will have for goal to develop my productivity (the numbers of people i can cure) via a better organisation and better skills (but i have nearly reached my limit for many procedures already). I refuse to work a larger number of hours. Anyway, it's not interesting to work too much as a free-lance in France, because at a certain level, you work mostly for the state and not for your-self. It's better to work less, and to have more spare time.
  • Reply 156 of 158
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders the White

Regarding the unemplyment figures: When you compare them between europe and US you have to keep in mind that the work force is larger in relative terms in europe (more working women).

Interesting...I hadn't thought about that. Is it a very significant difference?
  • Reply 157 of 158
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders the White

Harald isn´t from Scandinavia? I´m surprised.

He he he he. Define "from."

• Reply 158 of 158
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

Interesting...I hadn't thought about that. Is it a very significant difference?

It will be interesting to have rate per family. However i don't have any clue about it.