Why Android users have been switching to iPhone in greater numbers

Posted:
in iPhone
Over the last ten years, there has been a growing trend of Android users moving to iPhones, and it's not just because of iMessage.

Here's why Android users switch to iPhone
Here's why Android users switch to iPhone

A previous report from Consumer Intelligence Research Partners (CIRP) in May found that Android users have been steadily switching to the iPhone in the past decade, and this rate has fluctuated between 10% and 15% in recent years, with a slight upward trend observed in the past few quarters.

The most recent data now unveils the diverse factors behind the transition of Android users to the iPhone. Surveys among iPhone buyers who previously owned an Android smartphone revealed four broad patterns in their decision to switch.

• Previous phone issues: Their previous Android phone failed to meet their needs due to aging, requiring repairs, or having deficiencies that impacted their overall user experience.

• Desire for new phone features: They sought more features in their smartphone, such as an improved camera, expanded accessory choices, or a more user-friendly interface.

• Cost considerations: They found that acquiring a new iPhone was more affordable than expected or compared to a similar Android smartphone.

• Community connectivity: They wanted a smartphone that seamlessly integrates with their family and friends, including using iMessage and FaceTime on the iOS platform.

Slightly over half of the buyers with a specific reason mentioned an issue with their previous phone. For example, they cited some reasons for connectivity issues, battery life, or other crucial device functionalities.

Among those who switched from Android to iPhone, 26% did so because they were attracted to the features of the new operating system or the hardware of the iPhone. For instance, it allowed them to use exclusive apps, connect with specific accessories like AirPods and Apple Watch, or take advantage of features unavailable on their Android smartphone.

Reasons for switching from Android to iOS
Reasons for switching from Android to iOS

A smaller portion of switchers, at 15%, mentioned cost as a deciding factor. Considering the generally higher average prices of iPhones compared to Android models, these users found deals that allowed them to switch at a lower expense than purchasing another Android phone, or at least at a lower cost than they initially expected to spend when switching to an iPhone.

Approximately 6% indicated that they switched to have access to the same apps as their family and friends. Specifically, these switchers were interested in utilizing iMessage, FaceTime, and the capabilities of file and photo sharing.

Although Apple's "walled garden" is often cited as a significant reason iPhone users remain loyal to the brand, it does not appear to hold the same importance in attracting new iPhone buyers. However, after moving to iPhone, they may discover that the interconnected system of software, services, and hardware within the Apple ecosystem could be an influential factor for them to remain with the brand.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 618member
    Sketchy reasons at best considering phone companies all but give away Samsung smartphones. The Samsung and iPhone cameras both are outstanding so that can’t be it. Battery life is comparable on both platforms so that can’t be it.

The reason people switch to the iPhone is because their friends use iPhones and they don’t want to be the dork on the outside looking in. Any android users should be switching to the iPhone if they are concerned about privacy and security, but I doubt that much of a consideration for hard-core Android users.
    williamlondonjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 26
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,297member
    I bet you can tell what the key issues are by looking at the things Samsung is quickest to copy. 

Some notable things that occur to me are Samsung's attempts to copy Apple Watch, AirPods, and Apple Pay. Are there other examples that folks think are important?
    williamlondonBart YAlex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 26
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,870member
    The iPhone is simply a better smartphone in every way, fit, finish, OS, third party programs, is peerless in video performance has higher resale value is updated for a longer period of time, is able to integrate with the iPad, Mac, Apple Watch, and AirPods in a seamless matter, only a stubborn, moron, would put up with an Android phone, tablet, or that hideous Chromebook, there is simply nothing a Android device can offer but a cheap price and a conduit to Google’s spying apparatus, where all your info is sold to the highest bidder by Google.

The cliché that you get what you pay for seems to be true many school districts across the land have been suckered into buying those cheap Google Android Chromebooks, which offer a seemingly good price upfront, but in the end the only thing you get is is being bitten in the ass, going cheap upfront, hardly ever works, unless you like buying things every two years, ie a cheap PC computer/laptop with no resale value, a cheap computer monitor, or back in the day a VHS recorder. 

In the long term, it always pays to save up, and at least make an effort to buy something that has better resale value, and better functionality instead of going for the first cheap short term treadmill solution.

edited May 2023 DooofusAnilu_777Bart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 26
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 841member
    Interesting that "new phone featues" was the #2 reason considering that Android phones are larded up with many more "features" than iPhone, however dubious those features may be, plus the Android app universe is larger than iPhone's. Of course, Apple has focused on features that actually matter and are only implemented when bulletproof in actual use. 

Also intriguing was cost being the third most-mentioned reason for switching. Despite list prices that are often aligned with iPhone, the major Android phone mfgrs offer deals that practically give the phones away, which is why Apple has most recently earned about 80% of all global phone profits, while Samsung, Google, etc, fight over scraps of the 20% profits that remain. 
    Bart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 26
    ilarynxilarynx Posts: 90member
    JP234 said:
    Our family's first smartphones were Androids, because they were cheap. After a year of constant frustration, we decided that Benjamin Franklin was right when he said:
    "The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Now, every connected device in our household runs iOS, MacOS, WatchOS or tvOS.
    A good aphorism, but I don't think Ben Franklin ever said or wrote that. Can you help me out and provide a valid source for that quote please? 

Merci. 
    Dooofuswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 26
    ilarynx said:
    JP234 said:
    Our family's first smartphones were Androids, because they were cheap. After a year of constant frustration, we decided that Benjamin Franklin was right when he said:
    "The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

A good aphorism, but I don't think Ben Franklin ever said or wrote that. Can you help me out and provide a valid source for that quote please? 

Merci. 
    Here it is:    https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/8373797-the-bitterness-of-poor-quality-remains-long-after-the-sweetness

https://inxi.wordpress.com/2009/01/29/the-bitterness-of-poor-quality-remains-long-after-the-sweetness-of-low-price-is-forgotten-benjamin-franklin/

edited May 2023 retrogustoDooofusAnilu_777Bart Y
  • Reply 7 of 26
    jerseidjerseid Posts: 1member
    Looks like all the hard numbers are behind a paywall? Does anyone have the actual numbers rather than percentages and geography of where the data was taken? 

I appreciate the article but often I think people over tout Apple's appeal over the fact that affordability is a huge barrier to entry in most the world for Apple products.

I am also curious about the used/new status of switchers.

If anyone has that information I'd be interested in seeing the breakdown.
    edited May 2023 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 26
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    jimh2 said:
    Sketchy reasons at best considering phone companies all but give away Samsung smartphones. The Samsung and iPhone cameras both are outstanding so that can’t be it. Battery life is comparable on both platforms so that can’t be it.

The reason people switch to the iPhone is because their friends use iPhones and they don’t want to be the dork on the outside looking in. Any android users should be switching to the iPhone if they are concerned about privacy and security, but I doubt that much of a consideration for hard-core Android users.
    Dude, the article is about a consumer survey where the company, CIRP, is asking people why they switched.  Perhaps you can say CIRP sucks at doing surveys and statistical inferences, but these are the results of them asking some people, probably low hundreds of a randomized set of people, why they switched.

Only 6% say they do it for "community connections", the don't want to be in the out-group reason. 53% do it because they didn't like the experience of their prior phones, and 23% said they did it for the iPhone's features, including its accessory ecosystem. So, your perceptions are likely wrong about the market, and your self-selected group may just be in that 6% slice of the survey.

90% of the market are just tech agnostic people where their needs are really fundamental type aspects of the user experience: easy to use, accessories, service and support, etc. Having easy-to-use service is a huge and unheralded feature of the iPhone that market analysts don't really talk about.
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonBart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 26
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,297member
    it occurs to me that an unstated reason here might be that Apple has superior marketing. For example, Apple does not have the camera with the absolute best specs, but Apple has a camera that is better than *most* Android phone cameras, and Apple is very good about marketing it. So for somebody with an Android phone that has a mediocre camera, they might be more aware of the better camera in an iPhone than they are of the 'best' camera in another Android phone (that isn't as effectively marketed). 
    williamlondonBart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 26
    jerseid said:
    Looks like all the hard numbers are behind a paywall? Does anyone have the actual numbers rather than percentages and geography of where the data was taken? 

I appreciate the article but often I think people over tout Apple's appeal over the fact that affordability is a huge barrier to entry in most the world for Apple products.

I am also curious about the used/new status of switchers.

If anyone has that information I'd be interested in seeing the breakdown.
    There is a barrier (no doubt) and the only ways of getting over it, is working, saving and investing, or maybe buying a used iPhone Pro or iPad Pro made in the last four years, note that effective life of a top end iPhone or iPad is at least six or seven years, also note, the resale value is very high, and the only person who can determine whether or not it’s worth it is you.

I currently own a 11 Pro iPhone and a 12.9 iPad Pro, both are four years old this fall, and they show every signs of lasting another three years for example.
    edited May 2023 DooofusBart Yjbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 26
    blastdoor said:
    it occurs to me that an unstated reason here might be that Apple has superior marketing. For example, Apple does not have the camera with the absolute best specs, but Apple has a camera that is better than *most* Android phone cameras, and Apple is very good about marketing it. So for somebody with an Android phone that has a mediocre camera, they might be more aware of the better camera in an iPhone than they are of the 'best' camera in another Android phone (that isn't as effectively marketed). 
    The video functions on an iPhone is unsurpassed, and the ability (programs) to edit such a video is also untouched by the Android crowd, Apple it’s always been about the total package, and currently Android phones and tablets are far behind when it comes to the total package, yes, it does cost more. Also note the programs to edit audio, and pictures is also far beyond the Android world. 

What is the difference between a iPhone and Android phone when it comes to taking pictures 98-99% to 100? Hardly worth the trade-offs, unless you’re just going for price, and the resale value of an used Android phone/tablet is nothing at the end, and what is the affective service life of an Android phone/tablet certainly not longer than the top-of-the-line iPhone or iPad.

Marketing means nothing if you can’t live up to a certain level of quality, and the Android Ecosystem is lacking when it comes to a complete solution in the smart phone/tablet area, and Chromebooks? They are just a very clever way to gather information for Google. It’s actually quite brilliant like having Eric Emerson Schmidt on the Board of Directors at Apple.
    edited May 2023 williamlondonDooofush2pBart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 26
    ilarynxilarynx Posts: 90member
    danox said:
    ilarynx said:
    JP234 said:

Merci. 
    Here it is:    https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/8373797-the-bitterness-of-poor-quality-remains-long-after-the-sweetness

https://inxi.wordpress.com/2009/01/29/the-bitterness-of-poor-quality-remains-long-after-the-sweetness-of-low-price-is-forgotten-benjamin-franklin/

Unfortunately, neither of those are valid sources, but just individuals (one a blogger, the other anonymous) merely repeating the same aphorism. 

A valid source is one that cites the specific quote as linked to a specific document (e.g. "from Poor Richard's Almanac, 1739" or "Ben Franklin's Autobiography, 3rd chapter, 2nd paragraph"). 

This aphorism appears to be one that stands on its own merits, but someone some time ago attached Ben Franklin's name to it in order to lend it weight and the false quote keeps getting repeated as true. This happens all the time (usually in a meme, attaching the spurious quote to a founding father, George Carlin, famous person, etc.)

The aphorism holds true, but the quote is not Ben Franklin's.  

edited May 2023 kingofsomewherehotwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 26
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,695member
    danox said:
    blastdoor said:
    The video functions on an iPhone is unsurpassed, and the ability (programs) to edit such a video is also untouched by the Android crowd, Apple it’s always been about the total package, and currently Android phones and tablets are far behind when it comes to the total package, yes, it does cost more. Also note the programs to edit audio, and pictures is also far beyond the Android world. 

What is the difference between a iPhone and Android phone when it comes to taking pictures 98-99% to 100? Hardly worth the trade-offs, unless you’re just going for price, and the resale value of an used Android phone/tablet is nothing at the end, and what is the affective service life of an Android phone/tablet certainly not longer than the top-of-the-line iPhone or iPad.

Marketing means nothing if you can’t live up to a certain level of quality, and the Android Ecosystem is lacking when it comes to a complete solution in the smart phone/tablet area, and Chromebooks? They are just a very clever way to gather information for Google. It’s actually quite brilliant like having Eric Emerson Schmidt on the Board of Directors at Apple.
    Apart from the first part of the first paragraph, none of that is actually true.

On video, Apple is famous for shipping onboard storage options that for most people are inadequate for quality video.

Photo camera technology is far more appealing to the vast majority of users and Apple has been years behind the pack for a while now and, despite catching up in some areas, remains behind.

Cameras, not performance, is what has kept the smartphone segment moving for the last six years. 

Here’s something from an iPhone user on a new Android phone:

"Three words: best. camera. Ever." 

https://www.laptopmag.com/features/i-took-the-huawei-p60-pro-with-me-to-munich-why-its-better-than-my-iphone-14-pro

Let's not even talk about the absolutely stunning design and material build of that one (every one of which is unique):

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/huawei-p60-pro-rococo-pearl-design-shows-up-apple-samsung/

It is behind (and has been for years) on charging and battery technology. Wired or otherwise. 

While much has been said about SoCs, even here it left much to be desired with the sole exception of pure performance which happens to be something even iPhone users don't really perceive anyway.

I cannot remember the last time anyone complained about speed on a flagship phone.

Marketing is an essential point. It always has been. For Apple and everyone else. 

And Apple isn't alone in the 'whole package' thing either. 

If this survey is limited to the US market it might carry some (but ultimately little) weight. 

It is claimed that Apple here (in Spain) recorded a 41% YoY drop for Q1 unit sales. That probably has a lot to do with pricing and marketing can only do so much. 
    macplusplush2p
  • Reply 14 of 26
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Despite what the survey results may say, it's clearly all about the humiliation of your friends seeing green bubbles when they text you. In fact, looking at the pie chart, it appears at least 85% switched because of green bubble humiliation but the survey captured that as other reasons.
    danoxh2pwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 26
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    blastdoor said:
    In Apple parlance, marketing is not advertising. Advertising is likely under Joswiak's responsibility, but Apple (Product) Marketing is basically the practice, perhaps science, of understanding the market and figuring out what features and products would find the most valuable, what features causes a market to buy a product. Apple's product marketing group is an integral part of its product development process, just as much as design is, or engineering, or supply chain, or financials. If you are an anthropology, or even biology, expert, Apple's Marketing group would be a good place to be.

So, the attraction of Apple is good fundamental design and good service. People pay a premium for that. That's marketing. Advertising is really the art of telling people about your product and services. Obviously, they are good at that too, but the product has to live up to its ad copy for it to be successfully sustained.
    danoxBart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 26
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,304member
    I think what us armchair analysts are often overlooking here is the possibility that most Android buyers don’t buy the top-model Android phones. Because the market for Android phones covers a huge range of price points, I suspect that iPhone switchers mostly come from the pool of people who bought a low or mid-price Android phone, which is far easier to find unsatisfactory when compared with any iPhone — or even a top-of-the-line Android phone.

And therein lies an issue — a fair number of top-model Android phones are in fact even more expensive than iPhones. So when a buyer makes a decision that this time, they’re going to bite the bullet and buy a really GOOD smartphone, they will often pick the base-but-current iPhone model, and have a really GOOD experience with it, leading them to make the switch permanent.

This is also pure speculation on my part, but at least I label it as such — and in fact it is based on a few friends’ testimonies about why they switched. :)
    muthuk_vanalingamBart Ymacxpresswatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 26
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    avon b7 said:
    danox said:
    blastdoor said:

Apart from the first part of the first paragraph, none of that is actually true.

On video, Apple is famous for shipping onboard storage options that for most people are inadequate for quality video.

Photo camera technology is far more appealing to the vast majority of users and Apple has been years behind the pack for a while now and, despite catching up in some areas, remains behind.

Cameras, not performance, is what has kept the smartphone segment moving for the last six years. 

https://www.laptopmag.com/features/i-took-the-huawei-p60-pro-with-me-to-munich-why-its-better-than-my-iphone-14-pro

Let's not even talk about the absolutely stunning design and material build of that one (every one of which is unique):

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/huawei-p60-pro-rococo-pearl-design-shows-up-apple-samsung/

It is behind (and has been for years) on charging and battery technology. Wired or otherwise. 

While much has been said about SoCs, even here it left much to be desired with the sole exception of pure performance which happens to be something even iPhone users don't really perceive anyway.

I cannot remember the last time anyone complained about speed on a flagship phone.

Marketing is an essential point. It always has been. For Apple and everyone else. 

If this survey is limited to the US market it might carry some (but ultimately little) weight. 

It is claimed that Apple here (in Spain) recorded a 41% YoY drop for Q1 unit sales. That probably has a lot to do with pricing and marketing can only do so much. 
    You seem to have good experience using Android phone. Can I ask you a question? I have read many times Android fans including you claim their camera is better than iPhone. I have a suspicion that they are hiding some unhappy facts. I think Android phone camera videos have some quirks. They do not work as smoothly as iPhone. Am I right? 
    jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 26
    avon b7 said:
    danox said:
    blastdoor said:

You seem to have good experience using Android phone. Can I ask you a question? I have read many times Android fans including you claim their camera is better than iPhone. I have a suspicion that they are hiding some unhappy facts. I think Android phone camera videos have some quirks. They do not work as smoothly as iPhone. Am I right? 
    Yes, Apple has historically enjoyed a clear lead when it comes to video, especially when it comes to video stabilization, support for higher resolutions, frame rates etc. 

In general terms, it seems that that lead remains but has been cut drastically with some Android phones even having capabilities that surpass the iPhone but I would consider those to be in niche situations.

We've reached a point where most users probably won't notice much of a difference anymore. 

Something that has consistently surprised me with newer iPhone/Android video comparisons is the audio quality. The iPhone seems to have very harsh ambiental sound reproduction with things like wind and traffic noise.

On the wider question of Android cameras, the 'unhappy facts' have long been with the iPhone camera. Apple users would point to the photo 'quality' and simply ignore the elephant in the room: versatility. 

No flagship phone camera is going to produce bad results in good light and without challenging conditions but in too many situations over the last six years, the iPhone simply hasn't been able to take the photo in the first place. The results were simply that bad or just impossible. 

Way back in 2017 Huawei wanted to pit its Mate 10 against the iPhone X on a photo expedition to Alaska (the Mate 10 was set for a major US launch). They came back with zero iPhone photos because the iPhone battery couldn't handle the cold and the phone would shut down. 

Portrait Mode was released, but in beta for a year, and if the phone decided there wasn't enough light on hand it wouldn't let you press the shutter button. 

Many iPhone users are now salivating over the periscope lens supposedly coming to just one iPhone model this year. Something Huawei brought to market years ago.

The exact same thing happened with low light photography when the industry put its focus on that. Tri-cameras. Noise. Wide angle low light. Sensor technologies. Variable aperture etc.

These situations basically mean the iPhone just cannot match the competition because the hardware just isn't (or wasn't) there. 

Let's not forget that Apple has made great strides over the last two years, though. There is no denying that. 

However, take a look at what the P60 Pro can do with periscope macro photography (without needing to get super close) and the results are staggering.

"After all, Huawei pioneered a lot of the tech in the best Android phones and best iPhones out now, so it wouldn't surprise us if the P60 Pro ends up being a crystal ball into the smartphone camera tech of tomorrow." 

"All the images taken above were captured on the periscope telephoto camera, with its nearest focus distance of around 10cm. This unlocks a new type of photography on a smartphone, and for the first time in our week of reviewing a phone, it made the periscope camera our most-used camera."

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/reviews/huawei-p60-pro-review-a-mobile-photography-revelation
    edited June 2023 spheric
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Bart YBart Y Posts: 67unconfirmed, member

Hmm, I’m still looking for Spain’s direct numbers but do have some for European smartphone market for Q1 2023 from Canalys.

https://www.canalys.com/newsroom/europe-smartphone-market-q1-2023

Quoting the relevant parts:
    “Western Europe's smartphone market faced a continued slump in Q1 2023, dropping 13% to 23.7 million units of shipments, as challenging economic conditions drove lower consumer demand and extended purchasing cycles.”

“Samsung claimed the top spot in Q1 2023 with a 35% market share, despite a fall of 16% year-on-year. Samsung’s top-performing models were the newly launched S23 Ultra, S23 and A14 models, along with last year’s A53 and A33…. According to Canalys estimates, in Q1 2023, Samsung’s ASP rose by 11%, resulting in a 6% decline in the total value of devices shipped. Samsung has invested heavily in brand and product advertising, as well as in MDFs and co-marketing initiatives with operators and retail chains to strengthen its presence.”

”These investments are also targeted at challenging Apple, which grew its market share to 33%. Apple’s shipments this quarter grew by 1% compared to Q1 2022, driven by the sale of iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max devices. According to Canalys Consumer Insights research, Apple remains the most resilient vendor in Western Europe, supported by the most loyal user base in the region combined with high popularity among switchers.” 

Other Euro Android vendors of note:
    “Xiaomi defended third place with a 15% market share, despite a 17% year-on-year decline. Xiaomi's performance was driven by its Redmi and Redmi Note models, with Spain, Italy and Germany being its key markets. Xiaomi remains focused on the low-to-mid-range segment, which helps it to sustain its ranking ahead of other Chinese vendors. Xiaomi has focused on profitability, with a smaller sales team focused on key operators and retail chains. 

OPPO and TCL completed the top five, with each taking a 3% market share, declining 53% and increasing 19% year-on-year respectively. ”

Note Xiaomi had only 15%, less than half of Apple unit sales (and much less revenues due to significantly lower ASP’s), and OPPO and TCL at 3% each unit sales (regardless of YOY gain or loss) were literally one tenth of Apple’s iPhone unit sales.

Hmm, seems to me IF Spain had suffered a 41% iPhone YOY drop, which I suppose was entirely possible given tough compares from 2022, the rest of Europe made up for the drop and Apple iPhones ended up +1% by units sold compared to drops for all other vendors save TCL in the European smartphone market (see the chart in the linked article above).  Samsung came in with drops of 16% unit marketshare and despite higher ASP’s, a 6% drop in estimated revenues.  With higher ASP’s due to popularity of iPhone 14 Pro models, per Apple’s CYQ1 2023 (actual Q2 FY2023) YoY for Europe revenue, was $23.95B vs  $ 23.29B, a gain of 2.8%.  Given iPhones and Services make up the bulk of revenues, the contraction of PC/Macs, iPads, and flat Wearables, I think it safe to say iPhones held their own in Europe (which includes India’s growing influence) on a unit sales and revenue basis, plus Japan and Rest of Asia, while falling in Americas and China.  I will also note that in Q1 2023 (Dec 2022 quarter), Cook mentioned that iPhone revenues and overall revenue highs for Spain  were reached in that quarter.  
    jbdragonwatto_cobraspheric
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Bart Y said:

Hmm, I’m still looking for Spain’s direct numbers but do have some for European smartphone market for Q1 2023 from Canalys.

https://www.canalys.com/newsroom/europe-smartphone-market-q1-2023

Quoting the relevant parts:
    “Western Europe's smartphone market faced a continued slump in Q1 2023, dropping 13% to 23.7 million units of shipments, as challenging economic conditions drove lower consumer demand and extended purchasing cycles.”

“Samsung claimed the top spot in Q1 2023 with a 35% market share, despite a fall of 16% year-on-year. Samsung’s top-performing models were the newly launched S23 Ultra, S23 and A14 models, along with last year’s A53 and A33…. According to Canalys estimates, in Q1 2023, Samsung’s ASP rose by 11%, resulting in a 6% decline in the total value of devices shipped. Samsung has invested heavily in brand and product advertising, as well as in MDFs and co-marketing initiatives with operators and retail chains to strengthen its presence.”

”These investments are also targeted at challenging Apple, which grew its market share to 33%. Apple’s shipments this quarter grew by 1% compared to Q1 2022, driven by the sale of iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max devices. According to Canalys Consumer Insights research, Apple remains the most resilient vendor in Western Europe, supported by the most loyal user base in the region combined with high popularity among switchers.” 

Other Euro Android vendors of note:
    “Xiaomi defended third place with a 15% market share, despite a 17% year-on-year decline. Xiaomi's performance was driven by its Redmi and Redmi Note models, with Spain, Italy and Germany being its key markets. Xiaomi remains focused on the low-to-mid-range segment, which helps it to sustain its ranking ahead of other Chinese vendors. Xiaomi has focused on profitability, with a smaller sales team focused on key operators and retail chains. 

OPPO and TCL completed the top five, with each taking a 3% market share, declining 53% and increasing 19% year-on-year respectively. ”

Note Xiaomi had only 15%, less than half of Apple unit sales (and much less revenues due to significantly lower ASP’s), and OPPO and TCL at 3% each unit sales (regardless of YOY gain or loss) were literally one tenth of Apple’s iPhone unit sales.

Hmm, seems to me IF Spain had suffered a 41% iPhone YOY drop, which I suppose was entirely possible given tough compares from 2022, the rest of Europe made up for the drop and Apple iPhones ended up +1% by units sold compared to drops for all other vendors save TCL in the European smartphone market (see the chart in the linked article above).  Samsung came in with drops of 16% unit marketshare and despite higher ASP’s, a 6% drop in estimated revenues.  With higher ASP’s due to popularity of iPhone 14 Pro models, per Apple’s CYQ1 2023 (actual Q2 FY2023) YoY for Europe revenue, was $23.95B vs  $ 23.29B, a gain of 2.8%.  Given iPhones and Services make up the bulk of revenues, the contraction of PC/Macs, iPads, and flat Wearables, I think it safe to say iPhones held their own in Europe (which includes India’s growing influence) on a unit sales and revenue basis, plus Japan and Rest of Asia, while falling in Americas and China.  I will also note that in Q1 2023 (Dec 2022 quarter), Cook mentioned that iPhone revenues and overall revenue highs for Spain  were reached in that quarter.  
    All entirely possible but pricing is a key factor which marketing can only remedy to a certain degree. That was the point. 

If remaining sales made up for losses in specific market the gains were minimal even if revenues were up. 

That's a product of a challenging economic climate and applies to everyone of course. 

The normal first wave of constriction is users holding onto their phones for longer. I think that problem is more acute for iPhone users due to the far wider offerings at all price points for Android devices. 

Then there is the balancing act of installments vs upfront payments. Installments can work as long as you can convince the purchaser (marketing again) to buy into a multi year deal (and your financer is willing to underwrite the risk) but there is a point where people start living month to month, especially with our mortgage situation (Euribor and UK interest rates for example) and the general cost of living increase.

Then there is the question of the phones themselves. Are they attractive/compelling enough? New iPhones with last years processors for example. 

As mentioned, Samsung is targeting the high end segment in the EU and Huawei is doing the same in China. One key advantage for Apple is the 'protection' it receives on home turf. No Huawei to deal with etc and Samsung being a little lacklustre. It's possible that Google may step up to the plate there but they still seem to be finding their feet on the hardware side. 

I did a quick Google on Spain. I don't know where I read the original claims but it was quite commented on at the time locally. 

This popped up but I don't know if it is relevant  to the point. It is in English though:

https://voonze.com/apple-sinks-in-spain-its-iphones-no-longer-sell/?amp=1

Here in Spain we are expecting problems on disposable income levels. Since last year all rail travel has been basically free and for some major cities public transport costs have been heavily discounted. Laws have been rushed through parliament to 'protect' home owners (at least to some degree). These moves can give consumers a false sense of buoyancy even in very rough waters. Now we have a snap general election for July and if there is a political switch I'd say a lot of the protective measures will be lifted in preference of the dreaded 'austerity' measures. We can argue if those measures are the way to go or not but we know they will be on the table.

I wouldn't like to say how austerity measures might impact Apple’s bottom line but we know Apple’s response: discounting (direct or indirect). That's a nice option to have, no doubt.

Lower growth coupled with high inflation (aka UK situation) is something the smartphone industry would rather avoid on a wide scale. We might be at a tipping point. China abandoned it's zero Covid policy and seems to be on the mend. Then again, geopolitical issues are also distorting the technology industry at large. 
    edited June 2023 spheric