As you may expect, the internet already says that Apple's headset is doomed, apparently

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
Apple's AR headset hasn't been announced yet and there are already those who insist it is a flop that is dead on arrival -- just like they said with the iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and even the Mac.

Tim Cook hoping the headset works
Tim Cook hoping the headset works

We've been dealing with this cycle for decades. Apple releases something, folks complain about price, or some other factor that only they care about, and call Apple's product a failure.

Even when Apple didn't have the financial stockpile that it has now, the company has the patience to wait it out.

Ultimately, we don't know on the Friday before WWDC if the headset is compelling. The rumored $3,000 price point is steep and will be the main talking point, if it's accurate. As a reminder, though, the original iPad was predicted to retail for $999, and it sold for $499 in the real world.

Then, too, the assumption is that we'll know everything after Tim Cook leaves the stage at the end of his WWDC 2023 keynote. In truth, we won't really get to know whether it's good or bad in actual use until much later.

We're expecting Apple to do the same thing with the headset that it did with the first Intel Macs and Apple Silicon transition kits. Developer kits will probably be first shortly after WWDC, followed by a holiday release for the general public -- assuming Apple can make enough.

We'll get an idea from anything developers tell us of their experiences working with it, of course.

Real success will take time -- and Apple has all the time that money can buy. It will iterate the design and it will move the target if it has to on who it is aiming the product at.

Put a pin in it

Maybe the headset will flop. Maybe it will be the hockey puck mouse all over again.

But in case it's anything other than a long term disaster, read a selection of the complaints and criticisms of Apple's headset -- before it's even been confirmed as coming.

"An Apple-ecosystem-locked augmented reality headset for $3000? Please be serious.," wrote Tessa Kaur in The Gamer. "I hate it... an AR headset is the wrong direction."

"For a staggering $3,000, early adopters of an Apple VR/AR ecosystem will be able to do more or less what their phone does," continues Kaur, "except they have to wear a bulky headset and fiddle with imaginary objects with their hands. It's the dorkiest thing I can imagine."

Remember that the $3,000 price is just a rumor, albeit a repeatedly backed up one. Across Reddit discussions, most of the pre-release complaints concentrate on that price tag.

"Why pay $3000 for the Apple product when I can buy a Quest 2 for $300?" wrote "potatochipsbagelpie."

"I just cannot imagine what this will offer for anyone that none of the cheaper and more accessible VR headsets already offer," wrote a user who for some reason wishes to be known as "myyummyass" on Reddit. "Why buy this for what will inevitably be over 1k when you can get a PS5 and a PSVR2 for that price with way more utility?"

"[It's] pretty much just the iPhone that really blew anyone away especially with respect to software development platforms," wrote user FollowingFeisty5321, "every other platform they've launched for developers has fizzled -- Watch, Mac App Store, iPad OS, Apple TV."

Some sense prevails

However, most people across Reddit appear to be happy waiting to find out what Apple actually announces, though, and plenty think it will be better than anything by the firms' rivals. Although that may not be saying much.

"I mean the bar is set pretty low with what we currently have," wrote Reddit user CeeKay125. "Wonder what the killer app they are going to tout out will be? Without a killer app, don't see this doing numbers, even being an Apple product."

It's a good point. Arguably the Apple Watch floundered at first, with the marketing for it at first positioning it as a fashion item first, and a fitness item second. It then took off when Apple found its niche in promoting it as a health aid.

Time and apps will tell

Everyone will be looking at Apple's headset at WWDC, but it's true that they'll really be looking for its killer app.

Nobody knows and nobody can know yet whether Apple headset will another hit until it's at least been announced. Even then, there's a long way to go from WWDC keynote to a matured device, just as there was between the announcement of the iPhone and its shipping.

Just don't expect anyone to hold off on calling a new Apple device doomed.

"There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share," Microsoft's then CEO Steve Ballmer said in 2007. "No chance."

Monday's WWDC is just the first few words in the first chapter of Apple's book on the subject, that had a four-year foreword with ARKit.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 127
    Yeah, but isn't this one of the very sites that perpetuates that behavior?
    9secondkox2blastdoorwilliamlondonmattinoz
  • Reply 2 of 127
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,593member
    It doesn't matter if it's DOA or dies a slow death or is a raving success.

The whole point is trying to produce something useful. 

There are pitfalls for sure. How they try to do it. If they try to lock users in. How they intend to create content. At what price. All unanswered right now. 

XR depends on content and some kind of 'open' industry standard would be my preferred option. 

I can see many use cases and think XR will become ubiquitous at some point but the pain points are very real. Bulk and battery are two biggies but they aren't the only two.

Let's not forget that XR is already a reality. Nothing new will be announced in the XR sense. 

ICT infrastructure capable of delivering widescale XR experiences is also missing but you have to start somewhere and plenty of manufacturers are waiting for that side of things to improve. 

A high speed, QoS, low latency domestic solution would be OK for some scenarios. 

edited June 2023 muthuk_vanalingamCalamander
  • Reply 3 of 127
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,189member
    So things are looking good!
    jeffharrisigorskytmayBart Yjony0
  • Reply 4 of 127
    twolf2919twolf2919 Posts: 102member
    Price is THE decider on whether this headset will be a success.  This author - and others who’ve made the same point that Apple has had supposed failures many times before turn into successes - doesn’t seem to realize this.  When has Apple *ever* introduced a completely new product category at an initial price point of $3k?  Maybe the original Apple 2 (adjusted for inflation) - but nothing since then.   Sure, there are several niche “pro” products in THS range and beyond, but nothing with hoped for mass market appeal.  And  Apple clearly wants this to eventually become the next iPhone.  And I think the AR glasses originally promised for this timeframe had/has this potential - but not some dorky headset costing as much as a used car.
  • Reply 5 of 127
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,837administrator
    twolf2919 said:
    Price is THE decider on whether this headset will be a success.  This author - and others who’ve made the same point that Apple has had supposed failures many times before turn into successes - doesn’t seem to realize this.  When has Apple *ever* introduced a completely new product category at an initial price point of $3k?  Maybe the original Apple 2 (adjusted for inflation) - but nothing since then.   Sure, there are several niche “pro” products in THS range and beyond, but nothing with hoped for mass market appeal.  And  Apple clearly wants this to eventually become the next iPhone.  And I think the AR glasses originally promised for this timeframe had/has this potential - but not some dorky headset costing as much as a used car.
    This is addressed in the piece.

FTA: "Ultimately, we don't know on the Friday before WWDC if the headset is compelling. The rumored $3,000 price point is steep and will be the main talking point, if it's accurate. As a reminder, though, the original iPad was predicted to retail for $999, and it sold for $499 in the real world."
    ramanpfaffradarthekatbageljoeyBart Yjony0
  • Reply 6 of 127
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 747member
    twolf2919 said:
    Your assumption is that everyone views the value of $3k through your lens. Apple’s products are generally the most expensive across all categories, and they’re also best sellers across many of those categories. If you give people that Apple experience as other products have, plenty of them will spend $3k. 
    9secondkox2radarthekattmayBart Y
  • Reply 7 of 127
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 808member
    Yes, absolutely doomed. It's so sad. No doubt the VR headset will be relegated to the trash bin of history alongside the many other widely predicted failures for Apple: the iPod, the iPhone, the iPad, the Watch. It's just one useless product after another that nobody buys. 
    radarthekatJapheytmayCalamanderBart Y
  • Reply 8 of 127
    bakerzdosenbakerzdosen Posts: 181member
    It really sucks that Apple doesn't have any employees that are smart enough to have thought about all of these things in advance.

Look, I personally won't be spending $2,000-$3,000 on an AR headset - it just won't/can't happen.

But I most likely will get a PSVR2.

If Apple brings their AR headset in at a price point similar to a PSVR2, things get more interesting *for me.*

But if Apple's predictions for this thing (and its use cases) are accurate, this is completely different animal than a PSVR2. Just because *I* most likely won't be buying one does NOT mean Apple won't sell a ton of them.
    radarthekattmayBart Ybeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 9 of 127
    charlesn said:
    Yes, absolutely doomed. It's so sad. No doubt the VR headset will be relegated to the trash bin of history alongside the many other widely predicted failures for Apple: the iPod, the iPhone, the iPad, the Watch. It's just one useless product after another that nobody buys. 
    You missed to include Apple TV, Apple Car ...
    9secondkox2williamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 127
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,631member
    I’m… it’s not “the internet” that thinks the headset looks dea is lame. It’s Apples own employees, according to your own (AppleInsider) reporting. 

And since the headset market has turned out to be a niche kind of thing, it seems the world isn’t exactly anticipating this kind of thing. Meta’s absolute disaster of a failure here is notable. 

I’m sure Apple has created the best headset thst can be made. I’m sure there will even be a “killer app” involved. 

What is unknown is if anyone outside of a niche market will care. Especially if it is slimline scuba gear tethered to a battery pack on your body. I mean, come on. 

If it’s in fact a pair of glasses/sunglasses with an integrated battery or somehow wirelessly leeches from an iPhone or something, that’s a decent deferent story. 

But from everything AI and others have reported thus far, it just sounds like a high end dud. 

Apples marketing can resurrect a reality distortion field to help out, but the end product isn’t exactly turning heads (pun intended) INSIDE Apple itself. That’s saying something. 

Either way, definitely not expecting this thing to exceed $1299.00
    edited June 2023 muthuk_vanalingamdesignr
  • Reply 11 of 127
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,757member
    twolf2919 said:
    The decider will be the hardware and software integration, and the quality of the programs designed to use the capabilities of the device, if Apple has those things nailed down, then the device will succeed, however no matter what price Apple sets, it will be too much and the complaining will go on and on because many people will want it, but will not be able to afford it.

Even to this day, there are still many financial analysts who think Apple should drop their prices on all products to pick up more marketshare, which, if you know anything about Apple, you know that isn’t their way of doing business.
    tmayBart Y
  • Reply 12 of 127
    charlesn said:
    You missed to include Apple TV, Apple Car ...

I mean let’s be honest, the Apple Car also doesn’t exist yet, that’s kind of a sad thing to rebut with. And the Apple TV is unfortunately an also-ran in tech history. If this thing turns out to be another break-even category…not really a success. 

But here’s hoping Apple has figured out a way to take a niche category and make it something essential (without artificially downgrading others products to prop it up). 

For some reason, there’s a feeling that this device will exist to sell subscriptions. Even if it just breaks even or loses a bit, it will make up for in the services category. Sure hope not. 
  • Reply 13 of 127
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 805member
    When can I pre-order mine?
    radarthekatBart Y
  • Reply 14 of 127
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,855member
    danox said:
    twolf2919 said:
    The decider will be the hardware and software integration, and the quality of the programs designed to use the capabilities of the device, if Apple has those things nailed down, then the device will succeed, however no matter what price Apple sets, it will be too much and the complaining will go on and on because many people will want it, but will not be able to afford it.

Even to this day, there are still many financial analysts who think Apple should drop their prices on all products to pick up more marketshare, which, if you know anything about Apple, you know that isn’t their way of doing business.
    Yeah, well, remember when all the analysts said that Apple is Doomed™ if they don't release a netbook? 
    9secondkox2radarthekattmayBart Y
  • Reply 15 of 127
    danox said:
    twolf2919 said:

Yeah, well, remember when all the analysts said that Apple is Doomed™ if they don't release a netbook? 
    The MacBook Air filled that hole. So in a sense, they did release a netbook. 

A lower cost thin and light was what the netbook rage was about. MacBook Air did that-Apple style. 
    designr
  • Reply 16 of 127
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    danox said:
    twolf2919 said:

I'll bet the number who said that is in the single digits, if it's even above 0.  "All the analysts" my butt.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 17 of 127
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,593member
    danox said:
    twolf2919 said:

IMO, the lack of a true netbook was a huge miss. As was the original iMac with only USB1. As was, ironically, the delay in getting USB2 onto Macs. As was not buying Netflix. As was not opening up firewire. As was fiasco on 5G/QC...

Let's not forget the whole concept of NetBoot and where that could have gone for business and education.

The question should not be if Apple was doomed because of those 'errors' but how much more they could have achieved by following through with some moves.
    bulk001muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 18 of 127
    jeffharrisjeffharris Posts: 775member
    Apple, and nearly every major product, have been doomed since the 80s.

I don’t have much of an opinion about VR headsets beyond I wouldn’t want one.
    No doubt, Apple’s device will be cool, if not the coolest.

We shall see.
    edited June 2023 Bart Y
  • Reply 19 of 127
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 748member
    Apparently you have no memory that Apple has produced its own fair share of failures. There were articles here about how the HomePod had the same market share as companies in the S&P and then they were gone. But, Cook is making noises that he wants to leave. But before he does, he needs a product he can call his own and they could spend to make sure that this is it. This whole idea has never made sense unless it was for gaming or health and no doubt many on this forum will run out a buy a Gen1 headset. Always a bad idea BTW unless you never open it and sell it 20 years from now at auction. 
    9secondkox2muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonCalamanderdesignr
  • Reply 20 of 127
    doggonedoggone Posts: 377member
    If the pundits say it is doomed then that is great news.  They are always wrong.  :D
    radarthekatBart Y