Apple's new 15-inch MacBook Air with M2 processor is 12x faster than Intel's version

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited June 2023

At the 2023 WWDC, Apple revealed a 15-inch MacBook Air with an M2 processor, with speeds up to 12x the fastest Intel version, starting at $1299.

15-inch MacBook Air
15-inch MacBook Air

Apple announced the 13-inch M2 MacBook Air with a redesigned chassis during WWDC 2022, so it is only fitting the larger 15-inch model was revealed during WWDC 2023. It is nearly identical in every way, just bigger.

Jumping from a 13.6-inch display to a 15.3-inch display is significant enough to warrant a different model. The larger display and long battery life set it apart as a budget laptop.

Rumors suggested that Apple has had this MacBook Air ready to go for a while, perhaps since the summer of 2022. However, supply chain constraints and other issues seemingly pushed this product back an entire year.

Design and display

The 15-inch MacBook Air has an aluminum case that is 11.5mm thick. This generation of MacBook Air is the thinnest laptop Apple has sold yet -- without the taper.

Apple didn't announce any new color options for this New MacBook Air. It is available in silver, space gray, midnight, and starlight.

A 15.3-inch display
A 15.3-inch display

The classic oversized glass trackpad sits below a backlit keyboard with full-height function keys. It has a Touch ID button embedded in the top-right key.

The Liquid Retina display has 500 nits of brightness, a P3 color gamut, and True Tone. The display has a notch cutout that houses a 1080p webcam.

A six-speaker audio system enables Spatial Audio, while a three-mic array keeps audio calls sounding crisp. That's two more speakers than the 13-inch model.

The 15-inch MacBook Air has two Thunderbolt ports, a headphone jack, and a MagSafe port.

Apple quotes this MacBook as having an 18-hour battery. That's in line with Apple's usual all-day battery quote, but testing must be done.

Pricing and availability

The 15-inch MacBook Air starts at $1,299. It will be available to purchase on Monday once the Apple Store is live after the WWDC keynote.

Apple says the 13-inch MacBook Air now costs $1,099, and the older M1 model is available at $999.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    In the days before the announcement, I heard podcast pundits speculate that it might have been priced anywhere from $1500 to $1800. But at a starting price of just $1,299 (and with the 14- and 16-inch MacBook Pros at significantly higher price points), the 15-inch MacBook Air is going to be a huge seller for Apple.
    ericthehalfbeewelshdogh4y3swilliamlondond_2Alex1Narun
  • Reply 2 of 27
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    In the days before the announcement, I heard podcast pundits speculate that it might have been priced anywhere from $1500 to $1800. But at a starting price of just $1,299 (and with the 14- and 16-inch MacBook Pros at significantly higher price points), the 15-inch MacBook Air is going to be a huge seller for Apple.

Agree, this could be one of their biggest selling Macs in quite some time.
    h4y3swilliamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 3 of 27
    nubusnubus Posts: 386member
    Interesting to see Apple reducing the MBA 13 price by 8% in US (13.3% in EU / Euro). This indicates that demand was too soft and that currency rates are going to change.
    iPad Air and other products are obvious candidates for similar adjustments.

As for MBA 15 - very nice, but it should have been delivered last year for back-to-school.
    williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 4 of 27
    nubus said:
    Interesting to see Apple reducing the MBA 13 price by 8% in US (13.3% in EU / Euro). This indicates that demand was too soft and that currency rates are going to change.
    Although I can't speak to currency rates, I respectfully disagree that lowering the price of an existing model is necessarily an indicator of soft demand. Now that the 13-inch M2-based MacBook Air is 11 months old, it's quite reasonable for Apple to reduce its price. (It was introduced in June 2022 and started shipping in July.) Sure, lowering the price can boost demand, but lowering the price doesn't necessarily mean demand was softer than Apple expected.

Apple has done this in other product lines for many years. Every fall, when the newest iPhone generation is introduced, Apple typically keeps one or more of the older iPhone models in the lineup at freshly-lowered prices.
    dewmewilliamlondonAlex_VAlex1Nmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Here's more to think about: For the purposes of this discussion, forget that the 13-inch M1 MacBook Air is still presently on the market for $999. With the 13-inch M2 MacBook Air now at $1,099 and the 15-inch M2 MacBook Air at $1,299, does anyone think there is enough of a market for Apple to sell a newly-designed 11- or 12-inch MacBook Air for $899?

Although the low price for a traditional laptop would certainly be appealing to some, I tend to think that the time for 11- or 12-inch Mac laptop models has come and gone — we'll never see one of those again. If sufficient demand had existed the last time such models were available, presumably Apple would have introduced newer versions of those models rather than discontinuing those sizes altogether. (The last 11-inch MacBook Air was discontinued in October 2016 and the last 12-inch MacBook went away quietly in July 2019.)

Or, potential market demand aside, perhaps Apple wants to satisfy demand for smaller screens only by offering the various iPad models.
    xixo
  • Reply 6 of 27
    cpenzonecpenzone Posts: 114member
    nubus said:
    iPad Air and other products are obvious candidates for similar adjustments.

As for MBA 15 - very nice, but it should have been delivered last year for back-to-school.
    Wrong on all points... lol.
    williamlondon9secondkox2
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Fidonet127Fidonet127 Posts: 508member
    Ok, fine they came out with it, thus I was wrong. Still, a different size. Still not feeling it needed to be announced. 
    williamlondon9secondkox2
  • Reply 8 of 27
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    I'm not buying any 'new' apple hardware, but this is impressive
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Alex_VAlex_V Posts: 218member
    That thin at that size. It’s going to be a head turner, the must-have campus fashion accessory of the fall semester. 
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Alex1NAlex1N Posts: 132member
    Yum yum yum  :)
  • Reply 11 of 27
    timmilleatimmillea Posts: 244member
    Here's more to think about: For the purposes of this discussion, forget that the 13-inch M1 MacBook Air is still presently on the market for $999. With the 13-inch M2 MacBook Air now at $1,099 and the 15-inch M2 MacBook Air at $1,299, does anyone think there is enough of a market for Apple to sell a newly-designed 11- or 12-inch MacBook Air for $899?

Although the low price for a traditional laptop would certainly be appealing to some, I tend to think that the time for 11- or 12-inch Mac laptop models has come and gone — we'll never see one of those again. If sufficient demand had existed the last time such models were available, presumably Apple would have introduced newer versions of those models rather than discontinuing those sizes altogether. (The last 11-inch MacBook Air was discontinued in October 2016 and the last 12-inch MacBook went away quietly in July 2019.)

Or, potential market demand aside, perhaps Apple wants to satisfy demand for smaller screens only by offering the various iPad models.
    Two points.
    1) A large number of people use their MBAs in clamshell mode connected to an external display and bluetooth keyboard and trackpad. They only use it as a laptop when they are travelling and small-size and weight is then an advantage.
    2) While 'bigger is better' in the US, in the Far East and a section of the global population generally, 'smaller is better'.

The MacBook Air was launched as an impossibly small and light laptop - made possible by the miniature hard drive that Apple adopted from prototype (the same tech later became the Microdrive) - with relatively poor performance and at a premium price. SSD chips have eliminated that constraint. There is huge demand for impossibly small and light laptops. Apple could sell an 11" OLED MBA at a higher price than the 13" MBA.

As with TVs, if you want a larger screen just get closer to it - aptly demonstrated by the Vision Pro which only has 1" displays. 
    john-useless
  • Reply 12 of 27
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    does anyone think there is enough of a market for Apple to sell a newly-designed 11- or 12-inch MacBook Air for $899?

[...]

Yes to the second point; I'm sure Apple considers that size and price point to be covered by the iPad.
    john-useless
  • Reply 13 of 27
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 841member
    Ever since thinking that the iPhone 14 Plus was going to be a huge seller for Apple (it hasn't been to say the least), I've been feeling less certain about the Air 15" since the logic for why it should succeed is identical: i.e. surely there must be pent-up demand for a larger screen size that's less expensive than the Pro model. And although this reasoning still makes perfect sense to me... and although Apple's data must provide very strong guidance about what its customers want... well, it turns out that iPhone customers didn't want a Plus screen size, or a Mini for that matter. So we'll see.

I have to say the pricing is fantastic. In fact, if you consider that spec'ing up the base 13" to the 10 core GPU costs an extra $100, while it's standard on the base 15", the real price difference for same spec machines is only $100 more for the 15". 
  • Reply 14 of 27
    charlesn said:
    Ever since thinking that the iPhone 14 Plus was going to be a huge seller for Apple (it hasn't been to say the least), I've been feeling less certain about the Air 15"
    There is a rather critical difference between laptops and phones though, and that’s that absolutely nobody has an expectation that a laptop should be comfortable to hold and operate with one hand, or should fit into a standard trouser pocket.

The 15” Air blows 15” PC laptops out of the water. This thing is going to sell like crazy. I have two immediate family members who will be buying.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    BlizzardBlizzard Posts: 40member
    Apple, if you want me to take these comparisons seriously, you need to compare to the 13th generation Intel, not the fing 8th generation processors.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Blizzard said:
    Apple, if you want me to take these comparisons seriously, you need to compare to the 13th generation Intel, not the fing 8th generation processors.
    One assumes they do those comparisons for the benefit of those still running an Intel MacBook Air and to emphasise the large progress they’ve been able to make in a short space of time by switching to Apple Silicon. Having said all that, comparisons to more modern processors would probably be helpful too; thankfully there’s no shortage of reviewers who will put these machines through their paces in due course.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    JackieBoyJackieBoy Posts: 6unconfirmed, member
    I’m impressed that they priced it at only $1,299, that’s far less than expected. Only thing now is, why did they keep the 13” MacBook Pro around? It seems silly to buy it when you could just buy the 15” MacBook Air for the same price.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    JackieBoy said:
    I’m impressed that they priced it at only $1,299, that’s far less than expected. Only thing now is, why did they keep the 13” MacBook Pro around? It seems silly to buy it when you could just buy the 15” MacBook Air for the same price.
    The price of the new 15-inch MacBook Air in Europe is 1600 EUR, that is about 1700 USD. Not interesting at all. The 13-inch Pro perhaps stays for the Touch Bar or for the public needing a small Air-sized portable Mac with a fan, so that sustained high performance is possible.

• Reply 19 of 27
    pb said:
    JackieBoy said:
    The price of the new 15-inch MacBook Air in Europe is 1600 EUR
    Presumably that is including VAT? At what rate? Remember that US prices quoted by Apple are before sales tax as that varies by state.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    mr. h said:
    pb said:
    JackieBoy said:
    The price of the new 15-inch MacBook Air in Europe is 1600 EUR
    Presumably that is including VAT? At what rate? Remember that US prices quoted by Apple are before sales tax as that varies by state.
    Yes, it does. VAT here is 21%. How much is it in the US? (if you can provide examples for some states, just to get an idea)