What keeps the Mac relevant for Apple, despite iPhone dominance

Posted:
in macOS edited June 2023

The Mac continues to enjoy strong consumer demand and serves a crucial purpose in supporting the functionality of the iPhone and the upcoming Vision Pro headset.

Consumer demand for Mac remains strong
Consumer demand for Mac remains strong

At the recent WWDC keynote, Apple unveiled the Vision Pro mixed-reality headset and updates to the Mac lineup. New machines include an upgraded Mac Studio, Apple Silicon Mac Pro, and a 15-inch MacBook Air.

While Mac sales may lag behind mobile products like the iPhone, they still hold significant importance within Apple's ecosystem, according to the newest report from Consumer Intelligence Research Partners (CIRP).

Mac laptops are the most popular, representing over 75% of Mac computer sales in the most recent twelve months. Within the laptop category, the MacBook Pro models, both high-priced and high-powered, make up over half of the laptop sales and over 40% of all Mac computer sales.

On the other hand, the MacBook Air models, known for their more affordable price range, contribute nearly one-third of the total Mac sales, while the remaining 46% of laptop units fall into this category.

Within the desktop category, the iMac holds a modest yet significant 10% share of total sales and approximately half of all desktop sales. In contrast, the high-end Mac Pro represents almost half of the Mac desktop sales and 9% of all Macs.

Popularity of Mac models in the last twelve months
Popularity of Mac models in the last twelve months

But despite the power of the Mac Studio and the low price point of the Mac mini, these two models represent a tiny fraction of Mac sales at 1% and 3%, respectively.

In general, while Apple is often perceived as a mobile technology company due to the immense popularity of the iPhone, the Mac still holds substantial importance within its ecosystem. And there's a good reason for that.

While Apple's mobile products may be more popular, they rely on the power of the Mac through Xcode. Xcode is a development environment for macOS that lets developers create apps for Apple's operating systems.

Xcode is a crucial and powerful tool not found on mobile devices. While developers can use Swift Playgrounds on the iPad to create apps and submit them to the App Store, it lacks the extensive capabilities of Xcode, such as debugging, version control, and support for external libraries.

"Development for visionOS starts with Xcode, which includes the visionOS SDK," Apple says on its webpage. As a result, neither the iPhone nor Vision Pro threaten the Mac -- for now.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    I find it hard to believe that the Mac Pro outsells the Mac Mini and Mac Studio, though the article is not clear i they are counting dollars or units. Anyway, how would;d they know? I don't trust this "guesstimates" when it comes to Apple because of the tight control of Apple on their sales channels. 
    Alex1Nwatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 2 of 14
    I call BS. I'm a developer.  There are far less than 10M Apple developer accounts total, while there are between 1 and 2 BILLION iPhones in use.  It's not Xcode that keeps the Mac relevant. It's that computers are still relevant, and that laptops are the most popular/useful form factor, and that Apple's are the most versatile and well made.
    Alex1Ndarkvaderwatto_cobraFileMakerFellermac daddy zee
  • Reply 3 of 14
    twolf2919twolf2919 Posts: 112member
    I find it hard to believe that the Mac Pro outsells the Mac Mini and Mac Studio, though the article is not clear i they are counting dollars or units. Anyway, how would;d they know? I don't trust this "guesstimates" when it comes to Apple because of the tight control of Apple on their sales channels. 
    This is probably just an artifact of Mac Studio's relative newcomer status.  Mac Pros from 10+ years are still being used.  The Studio has been available for, what, 2 years?
    macpluspluswilliamlondonbaconstangAlex1Nwaveparticlewatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 4 of 14
    twolf2919twolf2919 Posts: 112member

I call BS. I'm a developer.  There are far less than 10M Apple developer accounts total, while there are between 1 and 2 BILLION iPhones in use.  It's not Xcode that keeps the Mac relevant. It's that computers are still relevant, and that laptops are the most popular/useful form factor, and that Apple's are the most versatile and well made.
    Why would you call it BS based on what you said?  It's obvious that the apps written for those 2B iPhones (as well as however many iPads there are out there) were written on Macs.  So whether it's 1 or 10m or 1B developers - they all used Macs.  And they're 100% necessary for those developers.  What's more relevant than 100% necessity?

But I do think the author is being a bit narrow-minded for sure.  I'm also a developer who uses a Mac.  And I don't write iPhone or iPad apps - I develop Java apps as well as web apps and the Mac is simply the best development tool available.  The only Apple-specific 'Xcode' tool I ever really use is notarytool (to sign my app installers on Mac).  Being UNIX based, most of, if not all, the tools available to Linux users are available right out of the box on Macs too.  But on top of that, it's got a great *and consistent* GUI - something Linux, after 30 years  of existence, still hasn't managed - and a good breadth commercial software offerings.  And one never has to worry about this driver and that driver not working on a Mac.

macplusplusdanoxroundaboutnowbaconstangAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    twolf2919 said:

Why would you call it BS based on what you said?  It's obvious that the apps written for those 2B iPhones (as well as however many iPads there are out there) were written on Macs.  So whether it's 1 or 10m or 1B developers - they all used Macs.  And they're 100% necessary for those developers.  What's more relevant than 100% necessity?

But I do think the author is being a bit narrow-minded for sure.  I'm also a developer who uses a Mac.  And I don't write iPhone or iPad apps - I develop Java apps as well as web apps and the Mac is simply the best development tool available.  The only Apple-specific 'Xcode' tool I ever really use is notarytool (to sign my app installers on Mac).  Being UNIX based, most of, if not all, the tools available to Linux users are available right out of the box on Macs too.  But on top of that, it's got a great *and consistent* GUI - something Linux, after 30 years  of existence, still hasn't managed - and a good breadth commercial software offerings.  And one never has to worry about this driver and that driver not working on a Mac.

You're making my point.  Xcode has little to do with what makes the Mac relevant for Apple.  I'd bet there are far more VSCode installs than Xcode installs, and EASILY there are more Mac owners who have never touched any developer tool of any kind, but need or want a Macintosh regardless of what other Apple hardware they own.  The Mac stands as important irrespective of Xcode.
    macplusplusroundaboutnowAlex1Nwatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 6 of 14
    riverkoriverko Posts: 222member
    twolf2919 said:
    This is probably just an artifact of Mac Studio's relative newcomer status.  Mac Pros from 10+ years are still being used.  The Studio has been available for, what, 2 years?
    Maybe Studio will grow now much faster after the current AS Mac Pro was introduced… as there is not that much difference between the two of them, unless of course there is the usage for the Mac Pro and its extension ports
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,875member
    Apple may want the Studio Mac to be a big seller but it doesn’t mean that users necessarily want to buy it, most of the other Macs are far more versatile than the Studio Mac, maybe the recent increase in speed might help?

Mac’s and the development environment Apple has created around them and the Apple operating systems, used on all of the Apple platforms are vital to Apple’s iPhone future, and that also includes all SOC hardware development. The article title seems to imply that one has nothing to do with the other, they are interconnected, and one cannot be successful without the other they are joined at the hip.
    edited June 2023 baconstangwilliamlondonAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    I don't doubt that developers represent a good chunk of users needing Macs. The article seems to imply that this is the main reason for the Mac's relevancy.

Obviously, there are plenty of users that choose to use Macs for any number of activities, whether for content creation, basic office apps, or for specialized purposes. Surely, all non-developer applications must represent a huge (if not major) percentage of uses.

And so far as Macs supporting "mobile products," I note with interest that the majority of Macs are themselves mobile products, given the percentage (whether dollars or quantities) of MBP and MBA indicated in the graph. The power and flexibility of these products is what makes them so popular--and relevant.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 9 of 14
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,245member

The Mac ain't going away anytime soon. It is powered by one of the official OS's supported by Apple. Period.

williamlondonAlex1Ndarkvaderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    sunman42sunman42 Posts: 264member
    twolf2919 said:

——

Unless this includes secondhand sales, I find the breakdown beggars belief. The article states these are sales figures, not numbers in use.

williamlondonAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,108member
    Will the Mac continue to be relevant?
    Ever try working on spreadsheets on an iPhone?
    Alex1Ndarkvaderwatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 12 of 14
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    twolf2919 said:
    This chart is the last 12 months of sales. This would suggest that sales of the $1299+ iMac are around the same as the $6999+ Mac Pro.

Apple reported their Mac revenue as $40b last year. The iMac sells around 3 million units. If the Mac Pro sold 3 million units at $7k+, it would make over $21b, more than half their Mac revenue so obviously wrong number used.

I suspect they misplaced the labels for mini and pro. The Mac mini at $599 will be 9%. The Mac Pro is less than 1% of sales.

Roughly 28m Macs sold
    Macbooks are around 80% (22m) of Macs sold at ASP $1200-1300 = $26-28b
    iMacs are around 10% (2.8m) at $1400 = $4b
    Mac mini ASP is likely $700-800 x 5% (1.4m) = $1b
    Mac Studio ASP is likely $2.5-3k x 5% (1.4m) = $4b
    Mac Pro ASP is likely $8k x <0.5% (<150k) = <$1b

$28 + 4 + 1 + 4 + 1 = $38b. Adjust some ASP and percentage here and there will add to $40b but that's roughly how it would look.

Mac sales are strong because they make the best OS and the best laptops by a wide margin. Even premium $3k+ PC laptops look 3rd rate next to Macbook Pros.
    edited June 2023 entropyswilliamlondonAlex1Nbestkeptsecretwatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 13 of 14
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Good breakdown Marvin. I still think the Mac Pro sales are grossly too high though. Apple hadn’t upgraded it ee years last year. And I doubt the release of the AS Mac Pro would do anything to help.  I can only conclude it is a  stop gap, or by nefarious design.
    williamlondonAlex1Nwatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 14 of 14
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    I find it hard to believe that the iMac is outselling the mini. 

It's just a no-brainer that the mini gives you more computing power for less money, and you can have any screen size you want, not just a small 24".

The only place I'm recommending iMacs for my clients is for front desk locations, and that's just for appearance reasons.  Home user?  Mac mini.  Workstation?  Mac mini or Studio, depending on user requirements.  And absolutely NO Apple monitors, those things are highway robbery.
    williamlondonbaconstang