Vision Pro will require an appointment, initially only in Apple Stores

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro

To ensure Apple Vision Pro correctly fits customers and any prescription glasses they have, the headset will initially sold by appointment in a limited number of Apple Stores, though it will expand both nationally and internationally in late 2024.

Apple Vision Pro
Apple Vision Pro

It's already clear that a lot of work remains to be done before Apple can release its Vision Pro headset, but just selling the device is going to be complicated.

According to Bloomberg, the cost of the device, and the necessity to have it personally adjusted for each buyer, means its rollout will be a major operation -- and require an appointment. Each of Apple's US stores will ultimately have an area devoted to the Vision Pro, with demo units, accessories, and seating.

To help with setting up Vision Pro for each customer, Apple is said to be developing both an iPhone app and a physical device where each will scan a person's head prior to purchase.

However, these features are said to be coming first to the largest stores, or ones in key locations such as Los Angeles and New York. A nationwide rollout should follow shortly afterwards.

Despite the issues of customization for each buyer, Bloomberg also says that the Apple Vision Pro will be sold through the online Apple Store in early 2024. It will then expand to other, unspecified, online stores, but the publication says that will not include third-party resellers until at least 2025.

From late 2024, though, Bloomberg reports that Apple has said it will sell Vision Pro internationally from late 2024.

Again, it is reportedly planned that the international launch will be in stages. Unspecified sources say that the UK and Canada are being discussed as the first international markets, followed by Asia and Europe.

No decision has been made about the countries it will be sold in, but it's claimed that Apple is currently localizing the headset for France, Germany, Australia, China, Hong Kong, Japan, and Korea.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    humbug1873humbug1873 Posts: 125member
    Yes worked great for the Apple Watch Gold. Makes sense, if you don't want to sell too many of these.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 28
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    So… if I decide to buy, I may have to travel hundreds of miles to be “fitted” if I want to give Apple my money?
    williamlondongrandact73
  • Reply 3 of 28
    byronlbyronl Posts: 363member
    I wonder how the rollout will eventually happen in countries with no Apple Stores
    williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 28
    XedXed Posts: 2,571member
    byronl said:
    I wonder how the rollout will eventually happen in countries with no Apple Stores
    Eventually they'll sell it to 3rd-party retailers and with their online store.
    williamlondonbloggerblogbyronl
  • Reply 5 of 28
    roake said:
    So… if I decide to buy, I may have to travel hundreds of miles to be “fitted” if I want to give Apple my money?
    Yep, and that's not a problem for Apple.
    williamlondoncaladanianbloggerblogbyronl
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Yes worked great for the Apple Watch Gold. Makes sense, if you don't want to sell too many of these.
    According to all reports they can't because the display tech is too difficult for Sony to produce right now. This seems like a very prudent way to start sales for this new product category. Make is an experience for the customer while also using that time to see where customers have the most amount of issue with the new device.
    radarthekatwilliamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 28
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,874member
    So? You go to store to try it out, you like, you then make a make an appointment to get fitted, you buy then you wait 2 to 6 weeks for delivery, so what?…. Apple will sell all that they can make at the price and the profit they want. No problem.
    williamlondonBart Y
  • Reply 8 of 28
    I am no developer nor do I have a specialized use for the product. I just want to be an early adopter of breakthrough technology. It is fun. I will go wherever it is initially sold to purchase one on day one of launch. I am not alone. I know of at least six people who will similarly purchase early. Apple will be sold out immediately, and the demand will far out strip supply.
    edited July 2023 williamlondonJapheyBart Ybyronl
  • Reply 9 of 28
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 842member
    VERY smart move by Apple. At $3K or whatever the final price turns out to be, this first iteration was never going to sell in volume. Hard to believe all the idiots who don't get this. What's essential, however, is for this limited number of buyers to have a 5 star experience with the Vision Pro. As it is, there are serious doubts about the viability of any VR or mixed reality headset--they certainly haven't sold well yet--to say nothing of one at this lofty price point. So Apple, if it's going to have a real shot at success, needs rave reviews from this first wave of buyers--and the best way to help insure that is custom-fitting for every buyer and one-to-one training on how it works. That's still no guarantee, but at least Apple won't have haters because of ill-fitting headsets or lack of knowledge in using the Vision Pro. 
    williamlondoncaladanianBart YFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 10 of 28
    As crazy as the price seems now, I'm pretty sure at some point -- maybe 2nd Gen -- we'll have one of these in our house. The one negative I can see (no pun intended) is that it seems like these are going to be tailored for individual users, so my wife and I, with different vision prescriptions, will conceivably be unable to share a single Vision Pro.

FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 11 of 28
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member
    charlesn said:
    Hard to believe all the idiots who don't get this. 
    Yep, starting with the morons who race to be the first to post negative comments in threads à la MacRumors-style.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    As crazy as the price seems now, I'm pretty sure at some point -- maybe 2nd Gen -- we'll have one of these in our house. The one negative I can see (no pun intended) is that it seems like these are going to be tailored for individual users, so my wife and I, with different vision prescriptions, will conceivably be unable to share a single Vision Pro.

Well the lenses are separate and the face padding is removable. So you'll both just have to get your own and swap them out depending on who wants to use it.

Not sure how eye and hand tracking will work for different people though.
    byronlcaladanian
  • Reply 13 of 28
    M68000M68000 Posts: 728member
    Xed said:
    byronl said:
    Eventually they'll sell it to 3rd-party retailers and with their online store.
    That is assuming there is large demand for this,  which there may not be. We’re not talking about a $1500 laptop or an iphone here, which has high demand.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    I knew these could be fitted with prescription lenses, but I didn’t know you could wear them with glasses too. Was this already common knowledge?
    caladanianbloggerblog
  • Reply 15 of 28
    byronlbyronl Posts: 363member
    Japhey said:
    I knew these could be fitted with prescription lenses, but I didn’t know you could wear them with glasses too. Was this already common knowledge?
    you can’t wear them with glasses?
  • Reply 16 of 28
    byronl said:
    Japhey said:
    you can’t wear them with glasses?
    According to the article, you can. I’m just asking if others already knew that, because I didn’t. I thought it was custom lenses only until now. 
    edited July 2023
  • Reply 17 of 28
    charlesn said:
    Hard to believe all the idiots who don't get this. 
    Yep, starting with the morons who race to be the first to post negative comments in threads à la MacRumors-style.
    Well, someone has to be first. But what about those who race to be second? Are they morons too?
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 18 of 28
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    No rush. While I am by nature an early adopter, for this product I think I’ll just be a follower after a few years of improvements.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,465member
    I wonder how quickly Apple will follow up with a newer version 
  • Reply 20 of 28
    More like, they know they won't sell many, so they have to do something to make it difficult to acquire, since demand alone won't.
    williamlondon