New 15-inch MacBook Air sales are half the figure Apple expected

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited July 2023

The new 15-inch MacBook Air has been widely praised, but one new report claims that sales of it are so low that manufacturing is being cut.

15-inch MacBook Air
15-inch MacBook Air

It was rumored and awaited, then the 15-inch MacBook Air was launched, and got universally good reviews. AppleInsider even called it the "sweet spot for portability and power."

However, according to Digitimes -- and only Digitimes -- sources in the supply chain claim that sales have been as much as 50% below predictions.

Digitimes further claims that as a consequence of this production is to be scaled back, but it's not clear whether this has begun or is still being considered. The publication says that unspecified resellers, and possibly Apple itself, are calling for production of the 15-inch MacBook Air to cease.

Note that Digitimes has a strong track record for its supply chain sources, but a significantly poorer one for the conclusions it draws about Apple's plans.

The chief selling point of the 15-inch MacBook Air is its screen, which is larger than in previous models. Prior to this device, users would have to buy a much more costly MacBook Pro in order to get a larger screen.

If Digitimes is correct, then there's a curious parallel between the MacBook Air and the iPhone 14 range. Both featured a new standard model that featured a larger screen, for instance.

Then while it remains far from certain that Digitimes is right, a flop 15-inch MacBook Air would mirror the reportedly unpopular iPhone 14 Plus.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    I wonder why 🧐? Maybe because M2 will soon be replaced with M3 and most people won’t get tricked to buy hardware this close to a possible new one.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    What a coincidence. Buyers were expecting double the ssd capacity for that price. 
    williamlondongrandact73entropys
  • Reply 3 of 29
    40domi40domi Posts: 68member
    The main issue is the base configuration, No one in their right mind will be purchasing 8gb 256gb any more, I'm just a normal user and 256gb is too small for me, I can live with 8gb at the moment, however even I know I need 16gb for future proofing. At £1700 for that config, it's just not good value, compared to 14" Pro.
    The next issue is the M2 chip, basically it's just an over clocked M1 with the addition of a media engine, (most buyers of this machine aren't creators), so most buyers like me are waiting for the M3 chip. Consumers these days are too smart to fall for the usual hype.
    The final issue is; once you get past the bigger screen, it's compromised at every level compared to the Pro's, Screen, speakers, Pro Motion, Camera, IO's.
    Like I said, I'm just a normal user not a pro and the only upgrade I'm considering is the M3 14" or 16" pro.
    Once you you get to 16gb & 512gb the 15" is just not value for money.
    I said from day one, it was not as good as the hype and these sales figures don't surprise me.
    h4y3sgatorguywilliamlondonentropys
  • Reply 4 of 29
    People want portability with the Air. Pity they didn't bring back the 11-inch Air, one of the best machines Apple ever made.

williamlondondesignrMBeartokyojimu
  • Reply 5 of 29
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    I looked at it on the weekend and really liked the hardware design, however the above comments regarding costs of ram and storage seem on point. Perhaps the current pricing approach for Apple is finally catching up with them...?

$159 gets one 2TB @ Newegg - currently offering a Samsung 990 Pro...
    $800 gets one 2TB above the base cost of 256GB for the Apple option, and it is not (easily) user serviceable...

"PCIe Gen4 performance limits showing up to 7,450/6,900MB/s for Sequential Read/Write:
    www.newegg.com/samsung-2tb-990-pro/p/N82E16820147861
    www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-air/15-inch-midnight-apple-m2-chip-with-8-core-cpu-and-10-core-gpu-256gb#

32G of RAM might be helpful too, yet is even 24GB @ $400 at sufficient multiples of what is currently available elsewhere for PC under $100 to give pause?
    www.newegg.com/crucial-32gb/p/20-156-328?Item=20-156-328&Description=&cm_re=-_-20-156-328-_-Product
    williamlondonentropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 29
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    There is just no good reason to buy the thing. It seems an answer to a question nobody is asking.

I have an M1 Pro MacBook Pro 14 that almost always operates as a desktop in clamshell mode and the iPad Pro (M2) 12.9 is my primary mobile device. Essentially the iPad Pro is my laptop and with Face ID is very much preferred over the fingerprint reader used on the Macs.

I am sitting out the M2 cycle and will be updating the laptop with either a Mac mini or MBP when the M3 generation becomes available. Unless there is a profound difference the iPad Pro will hang around until the generation beyond that.

The technology for laptops and tablets is in its mature phase and evolution rather than revolution will be the norm.

Also, Apple needs to look very hard at the base model specs for RAM and storage as has been mentioned by others. 16 GB and 512 GB should be the new minimum - not 8 and 256.
    williamlondongrandact73watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 29
    I would love a 15" MBA, but I bought the beautiful 13" M2 MBA, I guess I will have to wait a few years to upgrade.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 29
    I think most analyst overestimate the 15" screen. The main advantage of the 13" MBA is its portability due to its size and weight, combined with its lower price. The basic 15" MBA is too expensive for just a larger screen.
    williamlondondesignrwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 29
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,813member
    I think most analyst overestimate the 15" screen. The main advantage of the 13" MBA is its portability due to its size and weight, combined with its lower price. The basic 15" MBA is too expensive for just a larger screen.
    $200 more is too expensive? It's actually quite a good deal. 
    kdupuis77williamlondonStrangeDayswatto_cobraAlex_V
  • Reply 10 of 29
    Thatguy2 said:
    What a coincidence. Buyers were expecting double the ssd capacity for that price. 
    Maybe you were for $200 more but I think it's a great deal for those who want portability but also need a larger screen. It's still a very portable Mac laptop given its size and weight. 

Just because you want it doesn't mean the rest of the buyers did. We don't even know how true this story is and yet people like you are shitting all over the product that for all we know could be selling very well. Great first post!
    williamlondonStrangeDayswatto_cobrabageljoey
  • Reply 11 of 29
    I wonder why 🧐? Maybe because M2 will soon be replaced with M3 and most people won’t get tricked to buy hardware this close to a possible new one.
    Anyone thinking that is also very silly and will have waited for nothing. Apple isn't going to put the M3 into the MacBook Air when it just came out with the M2. It'll be next year before that happens. 
    M68000williamlondonStrangeDayscharlesnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 29
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    I love mine and even with the 16/512 GB configuration it was £350 cheaper than the equivalent but smaller, yet heavier, 14 inch MBP and a whopping £900 cheaper than the 16 inch MBP. 
    I think most potential buyers just bought a MB Air M1 two years ago and are now waiting for the M3 before upgrading. Just an hypothesis, though. 
    kdupuis77williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 29
    sunman42sunman42 Posts: 264member
    I'd think it was more likely some other factor, since the folks who purchase machines that aren't designed for the most demanding tasks (video editing &c.) rarely know or care what the processor is called.

My guess, based on a sample size of one (my sister), is that most of the target market doesn't want a machine that weighs 0.6 lb. more and won't fit their existing sleeves, packs, &c., and simply don't need the larger display. Most of the market that needs a larger display needs it for serious photo or video editing, and are willing to spend the extra $ for a MacBook Pro. Net result, if true: Apple produced a very nice product for too small a slice of the potential market.

Any resemblance to the chaotic state of Apple products and markets immediately prior to the return of Mr. Jobs to the firm is purely coincidental (*cough*).
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 29
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    My wife is the perfect target audience for this machine. The only problem is that they shipped it almost a year too late.

How many people have already bought the 13” that came out in July of last year?

They should have either released this at the same time or waited for the M3 refresh.
    williamlondonsflagelwatto_cobrablastdoor
  • Reply 15 of 29
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    I wonder why ߧ࿠Maybe because M2 will soon be replaced with M3 and most people won’t get tricked to buy hardware this close to a possible new one.
    Tricked? lol. I have absolutely zero qualms with our recent 13” M2 MBA. The majority of Apple’s customers are not neckbeards or specs-mongers. I doubt many using a MBA M2 are tapping out its potential as a very portable, non-pro notebook. 
    edited July 2023 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 29
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    I wonder why ߧ࿠Maybe because M2 will soon be replaced with M3 and most people won’t get tricked to buy hardware this close to a possible new one.
    Tricked? lol. I have absolutely zero qualms with our recent 13” M2 MBA. The majority of Apple’s customers are not neckbeards or specs-mongers. I doubt many using a MBA M2 are tapping out its potential as a very portable, non-pro notebook. 
    Perhaps not, but consumers are not all stupid either. These are not cheap machines and people want the best bang for their buck. It’s not unusual for sales to slow down as the expectation of a refresh builds.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 29
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,727member
    DigiTimes: 61.4% accurate. (Src.: https://appletrack.com/digitimes/)

williamlondonwatto_cobratenthousandthings
  • Reply 18 of 29
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 842member
    40domi said:
    The main issue is the base configuration, No one in their right mind will be purchasing 8gb 256gb any more, I'm just a normal user and 256gb is too small for me, I can live with 8gb at the moment, however even I know I need 16gb for future proofing. At £1700 for that config, it's just not good value, compared to 14" Pro.
    The next issue is the M2 chip, basically it's just an over clocked M1 with the addition of a media engine, (most buyers of this machine aren't creators), so most buyers like me are waiting for the M3 chip. Consumers these days are too smart to fall for the usual hype.
    The final issue is; once you get past the bigger screen, it's compromised at every level compared to the Pro's, Screen, speakers, Pro Motion, Camera, IO's.
    Like I said, I'm just a normal user not a pro and the only upgrade I'm considering is the M3 14" or 16" pro.
    Once you you get to 16gb & 512gb the 15" is just not value for money.
    I said from day one, it was not as good as the hype and these sales figures don't surprise me.
    First: No one has reported sales figures. This pure is conjecture from one publication with a long history of conjecture about Apple that turns out to be wrong. There is no reason or track record for believing Digitimes as a source. Also: for sales projections to be off by 50% would be a preposterous miss for a company that knows its customers as well as Apple. 

Second: AppleInsider, as has become typical of it these days, headlines conjecture from what it later acknowledges is a poor source AS ESTABLISHED FACT. Read the headline--there's no attempt to truthfully hedge with words like "rumored" or "reported" --- NOPE, it's simply states "Sales ARE half" -- my caps for emphasis. 

Third: Those, like yourself, who compare MBA to MBP for value are missing the point completely. The main priorities for an MBA buyer are minimal size and weight for a computer that will do everything that the vast majority of people will ever need it to do. Yes, when you spec up an MBA you can quickly find yourself in MBP price territory--and, if minimal size and weight aren't priorities for you, the MBP may well offer more computer for about the same money--including more size and weight, which are at odds with the MBA buyer's main priorities. And a "better value" doesn't make sense if you've compromised your main buying priorities to get it. 

Fourth: you claim you're a normal user, not a pro, but you're considering the MBP 16", the biggest, heaviest and most expensive laptop Apple makes. To state the obvious, that makes you NOT a normal user. 

edited July 2023 chasmwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 29
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,308member
    I love how — despite being warned multiple times that this one-source claim is from a source that has been wrong many, many times — everyone here who read the headline alone* and went straight to the comments just accepts it as gospel. LOL.

“I believe a DigiTimes report at face value” is the new “I will give you my ATM PIN number for a Klondike bar.”
    williamlondonmattinozStrangeDayswatto_cobraAlex_Vtenthousandthings
  • Reply 20 of 29
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    M1 Pro MBP has higher specs and close price a the local Australian Officeworks once you upspec the MBA to what should be the minimum (16GB RAM, 512GB SSD).

MBP 16 inch M1 Pro 10C/16C 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD =AUD$2897;
    MBP 14 inch M1 Pro 8C/14C  16GB RAM, 512GB SSD =AUD$2347;
    MBA 15 M2 8C/10C 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD=AUD$2799.
    edited July 2023 williamlondonwatto_cobra