Apple Watch bands harbor dangerous bacteria -- because no one cleans them

Posted:
in Apple Watch

As it turns out, wristbands, like the one used with the Apple Watch, are the perfect breeding grounds for bacteria like Staphylococcus and E. coli. Here's why you should start disinfecting them.

Apple Watch bands
Apple Watch bands

If you're like most smartwatch owners, chances are you wear your device daily. Unfortunately, as new data shows, you probably aren't washing your smartwatch, either.

A new study published in the science journal Advances in Infectious Diseases, spotted by The New York Post has shed light on just how filthy the average band is.

Researchers from Florida Atlantic University (FAU) tested wristbands of different materials, such as plastic, rubber, cloth, leather, and metal, to determine which materials harbored the most bacterial buildup.

What they found was that 95% of the wristbands they tested harbored some sort of dangerous bacteria. Staphylococcus spp, responsible for staph infections, was found on 85% of wristbands. About 60% of the bands tested positive for E. coli. And 30% tested positive for Pseudomonas, an antibiotic-resistant bacterium associated with sepsis and pneumonia.

The bacteria was in highest concentrations on cloth bands, then plastic and rubber, followed by leather. Metal bands, notably those made of gold and silver, carried the least bacterial load.

Plastic and rubber are especially notable because their porous and static surfaces actually attract bacteria and harbor their growth.

And the reason for these bacteria hotbeds is simple: people don't wash their watchbands. This is especially concerning as many smartwatches double as fitness trackers, so wearers often wear them at the gym or during strenuous activity. Unsurprisingly, watchbands worn by those who routinely went to the gym had higher bacterial counts than those who didn't.

Nadine de Vries, an Apple Watch wearer, has worn her Apple Watch nearly daily since purchasing it in 2019.

"I clean it rarely. Maybe twice a year I will wash the bands in soapy water and wipe the inside where the bands click in, but very rarely," she told The Post.

The study takes special care to remind healthcare workers that they should routinely disinfect their wristbands, as many of the bacteria found are antibiotic-resistant. By doing so, they can avoid unnecessary outbreaks of MRSA-like diseases.

You may be wondering how best to clean your Apple Watch band. Don't worry -- the study sheds some light on that as well. Lysol disinfectant spray and 70% ethanol alcohol both boasted a >99.99% kill rate regardless of wristband material.

The study also notes that while apple cider vinegar is often the eco-friendly cleaning choice many reach for, it had nearly no effect on certain strains of Staphylococcus bacteria.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    XedXed Posts: 2,575member
    I'm certainly guilty of this. I will certainly try to keep that in mind going forward.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 41
    riverkoriverko Posts: 222member
    I often take a shower with my apple watch and in the middle of the showering i remove it and use the shower soap on the band. No matter if rubber or fabric… than of course dry it out…
    napoleon_phoneapartwilliamlondonAlex1Ntyler82watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 41
    XedXed Posts: 2,575member
    riverko said:
    I often take a shower with my apple watch and in the middle of the showering i remove it and use the shower soap on the band. No matter if rubber or fabric… than of course dry it out…
    Your comment reminded me that I do swim laps with mine in a chlorinated pool so maybe mine isn't as gross as I was expecting it to be.
    muthuk_vanalingamriverkowilliamlondontyler82watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 41
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    Soap does not kill most bacteria, unless it is anti-bacterial soap which we aren't supposed to use because of the creation of resistant strains of bacteria, because soap will not kill them - wait what just happened?

Lysol and alcohol may have negative effects on band materials - use with caution unless you are really rich and in that case go ahead and destroy your posessions on a regular basis because you really just don't care, because you have that luxury and are a very inconsiderate and wasteful person which is the worst insult I know.

Apple cider vinegar is a total scam and is no different than regular acetic acid and this reminds me of the people who think that mixing vinegar and baking soda makes some sort of miracle cleaner that is safe and effective which of course it is not effective at all since you just deactivated the vinegar. The by product of the magic "cleaning" reaction is co2 and sodium acetate, which is a chemical compound used to make salt and vinegar potato chips very vinegary without being a wet soggy acidic mess.

I don't wear a watch but my wife likes her Apple Watch and when she cleans her bands we use OxiClean or the active ingredient, sodium percarbonate, which is also the active ingredient in Efferdent and is also the active ingredient in most coffee machine cleaning tablets and the active ingredient in most "color safe" laundry bleach products and so far we have seen no damage to the bands.

Tonight I like really long sentences.
    OferMBearMplsPdewmeAlex1NbikerdudeFileMakerFellertyler82watto_cobrabeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 5 of 41
    Apple cider vinegar sucks! Samsung cider vinegar is far superior and was out first.
    Oferfred1jeffharriscoolfactordarkvaderriverkozeus423appleinsideruserAlex1Nroundaboutnow
  • Reply 6 of 41
    Wonder if UV light or nano-silver products would destroy bands over time, and if they would be relatively effective.  Non-chlorine bleach could be another possibility, as well as isopropyl alcohol or hydrogen peroxide (may only be safe for metals).  Does Apple have an official recommendation?  

Good old hot water or time in a pressure cooker (only the band, not the watch itself).  A pressure cooker or autoclave may be too hot for plastic and some other materials.    Some essential oils (like tea tree oil).  A hospital, nursing school or medical school could provide procedures they follow (and determine what they've learned NOT to do).  Head of central services at a hospital would likely know the answer (would make a good interview for an author of news items).  

Another person pointed to Lysol spray.  Lysol is also available in a bottle, and is a phenolic disinfectant (there are other phenolic disinfectants).  Lysol and hydrogen peroxide may be added to water in a washing machine (hydrogen peroxide likely will bleach out color in fabrics).  
    https://www.solutionsdesignedforhealthcare.com/solutions/products/disinfectants/overview-of-technologies/phenolics/#:~:text=Phenolic%20compounds%20were%20among%20the,They%20are%20not%20sporicidal.

Suspect findings would be similar for old fashioned analog watches.  Watch bands may be easier to remove on an Apple watch than on an older analog watch.  When I worked in a hospital, more than 50 years ago, I don't remember ever sanitizing my watch.  Bet with all of the antibiotic resistant bacteria, that would not be the case today.  Historically, before Lister and a few others (long ago), folks didn't wash their hands between surgeries.  
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7240806/#:~:text=Astute%20clinical%20observations%20and%20logical,were%20disallowed%20into%20labor%20room.  
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Lister

edited August 2023 Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 41
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    The title of the article states that “Apple Watch bands . . .” Isn’t this true of all watch bands?
    jeffharriscoolfactorMplsPkiltedgreenzeus423elijahgdewmeAlex1Nselleringtonantic4
  • Reply 8 of 41
    welshdog said:

Lysol and alcohol may have negative effects on band materials - use with caution unless you are really rich and in that case go ahead and destroy your posessions on a regular basis because you really just don't care, because you have that luxury and are a very inconsiderate and wasteful person which is the worst insult I know.

Tonight you also like being rude and condescending. 
    mike1watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 9 of 41
    welshdog said:
    Soap does not kill most bacteria, unless it is anti-bacterial soap which we aren't supposed to use because of the creation of resistant strains of bacteria, because soap will not kill them - wait what just happened?

Apple cider vinegar is a total scam and is no different than regular acetic acid and this reminds me of the people who think that mixing vinegar and baking soda makes some sort of miracle cleaner that is safe and effective which of course it is not effective at all since you just deactivated the vinegar. The by product of the magic "cleaning" reaction is co2 and sodium acetate, which is a chemical compound used to make salt and vinegar potato chips very vinegary without being a wet soggy acidic mess.

I don't wear a watch but my wife likes her Apple Watch and when she cleans her bands we use OxiClean or the active ingredient, sodium percarbonate, which is also the active ingredient in Efferdent and is also the active ingredient in most coffee machine cleaning tablets and the active ingredient in most "color safe" laundry bleach products and so far we have seen no damage to the bands.

====

The purpose of washing with soap is not to kill bacteria; it's to more effectively wash them off your skin (or in this case, your watchband). That being said, it doesn't matter precisely how effective soap is at killing various bacteria. 

coolfactorking editor the grateretrogustoAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 41
    Now that I know that every watch band is lying in wait, ready to KILL ME, I’m so glad I stopped wearing a watch years ago.

I kept taking off my watch, a stainless steel Heuer chronometer, to avoid scratching my Titanium PowerBook. 
    Pretty soon, I just stopped wearing it altogether.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 41
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,245member
    harmsway said:
    welshdog said:

Tonight you also like being rude and condescending. 

You're reading it wrong. He was actually being funny.  ;)
    Alex1NFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 41
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,245member
    welshdog said:

Apple Cider Vinegar is quite different from regular white vinegar in its chemical composition, and strength of acetic acid. You're right that white vinegar is the way to go for cleaning, but apple cider vinegar is amazing for your health! A tablespoon a day (in water!) to keep the foot fungus away!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 41
    I take off my band and put it in the dishwasher in with the silverware, comes out looking like new.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 41
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Seriously?  Doesn't everybody disinfect their watch and phone on a regular basis?

Alcohol works.  I'm not gonna get sick from my watch.

(And disinfect your keyboard too.)
    Alex1N
  • Reply 15 of 41
    mayflymayfly Posts: 385member
    Hmm, never even thought about it. Probably not going to put my leather band in the dishwasher, though.
    fred1Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 41
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    GaryD said:
    I take off my band and put it in the dishwasher in with the silverware, comes out looking like new.

That might be OK for the rubber watch bands. For the cloth bands, I tie it in a sock and throw it in the laundry.
    Laundry detergent is far less abrasive than dishwasher detergent. That's why you are not supposed to put good knives in the dishwasher.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 41
    jfabula1jfabula1 Posts: 138member
    I have a lot of leftover from pandemic disinfectants, thats the one im using, 70% alcohol and smells good too.
    watto_cobradarkvader
  • Reply 18 of 41
    siretmansiretman Posts: 117member
    The article mentions metal bands like gold and silver have lower concentrations of bacteria. How about other metal bands like the Milanese loop?

I took off my rubber band and I am now using the Milanese Loop. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 41
    I will wipe it down occasionally, but makes sense to use alcohol to disinfect it and something easy to do.    Seems like a good monthly task.   
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 41
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    I lay my band out flat in my Phonesoap  UV sanitizer device, which should do the trick.
    edited August 2023 Alex1Nselleringtonwatto_cobradarkvader