Pro War Actors!!

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yeah, there are some. Maybe even quite a few. But the ratio is probably like 1:5. We could sit here all day and dredge up the names of suspected right-leaning actors and entertainers (all the usual suspects) and it still wouldn't constitute much of a dent in the overall structure or leanings of the industry as a whole.

Definitely the minority viewpoint.

Granted, it WOULD be interesting to know just how many there are in the industry who truly do "tilt right", but for many reasons (see my other post above), choose to keep it to themselves.

When you get to Eastwood/Willis/Arnold status, you can pretty much do/say whatever...you're untouchable (kinda a right-wing counterpart to Streisand, Sheen and Reiner). But the "non-superstar" types...I'd be curious to know "who leans where" and who is registered as a what and who believes in what.

Would make a cool little list to read!

But, like being gay in the 50's, there are certain things you just don't come out as in Hollywood if you value your career. If we're running on a 40 year delay cycle, then I estimate that sometime around 2038 it'll be completely safe for the average, non-superstar actor/singer to "come out" as a Republican in Tinsel Town, with no fear of damage or repurcussions.

• Reply 22 of 56
    I don't necessarily buy the idea that right-leaning movie stars are punished for their views. If anything, it was left-leaning movie stars who were blacklisted, historically.

Do you think Mr. Weinstein at Miramax cares two shits about the ideological views of his movie stars? No! He's as opportunistic as you can get. Ruthless I might say. I'm just not seeing a trend here. But I would be very interested in reading something about it.

• Reply 23 of 56
    1. "historically" = in the past. Doesn't mean the opposite can't - or hasn't - happen since.

2. Weinstein? I don't know. But we can hardly pull one lone guy out of an entire industry and ask "does he give two shits...". Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. I don't know the guy or much about him, other than what I've read in Premiere or Movieline. But I'd bet my next paycheck or two that there are plenty who do. That's not a far-out, inflammatory or "making it up" statement. I'm quite certain there are major powerbrokers in Hollywood who can afford to make decisions based on "who plays ball" and who might be seen as "outside the loop".

3. "Punished" might be too harsh a word, with overly negative vibes. I don't think they're harrassed or intimidated or threatened. I simply think they're maybe ostracized a bit, and not seen by the ruling powers there as "in our circle". They aren't allowed to join in the reindeer games as much as others whose views mesh with the larger whole. I'd be curious to see what kinds of places or events Selleck and Patricia Heaton do - or do not - get invited to, asked to speak at, etc.

Interesting.

No, they're not blacklisted and ruined. But in some ways, I bet some do suffer for "not going along". Or, at the very least, just keeping quiet about their views.

It happens in the "real world"...we've all heard the stories about universities and businesses and instances of gladhanding, "buddy promotions", cliques, etc. I've witnessed it in two workplaces myself. If you have views, beliefs, opinions, etc. that run counter or afoul to the top dogs running the show, you can be the best [fill in the blank] the company has ever seen and you still might not ever progress as high and far as you could if you simply "went along" and played ball or whatever.

In that aspect, Hollywood is no different...just another business or industry when you strip the glamour and stuff away. Of COURSE it goes on there!

Not that it bothers me because I'm not a) in the industry and subject to it or b) give too much of a damn about those who are.

• Reply 24 of 56
    fangornfangorn Posts: 323member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders the White

Just because they are in a movie with a certaint morale doesn´t mean that they support it.

Definitely. I mean, look at Madonna. I loved Evita but I don't think she "got it." Either that or she really wanted to follow in Eva Peron's footsteps.

Eva Peron is also a good example of stardom turning into bad politics. Something to keep in mind when actors are given more credit than they deserve (which is what we are talking about, right?).
  • Reply 25 of 56
    finboyfinboy Posts: 383member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JC

I mean, are there any?

where is John Wayne when you need him

All the celebs screaming about bias and the new "blacklist" tend to overlook the fact that they condemn anyone in Hollywood with strong conservative views on things. Unless those folks make lots and lots of money.
  • Reply 26 of 56

Do they?
  • Reply 27 of 56
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce

I don't necessarily buy the idea that right-leaning movie stars are punished for their views. If anything, it was left-leaning movie stars who were blacklisted, historically.

Do you think Mr. Weinstein at Miramax cares two shits about the ideological views of his movie stars? No! He's as opportunistic as you can get. Ruthless I might say. I'm just not seeing a trend here. But I would be very interested in reading something about it.

Blacklisted? Only if you were Communist, and that was decades ago. Now it's chic to be anti-war because it's the easier thing to say. The 'pro-war' (misnomer) people keep quiet, and thankfully so. In general, they know when and where to voice their opinions.

Producers care deeply about star publicity. Steve Bing voided a contract with Sean Penn because he didn't feel like dealing with Penn's political volatility. Of course Penn sued him in return...
  • Reply 28 of 56
    jcjc Posts: 342member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

Arnold Schwarzenager

Bruce Willis

Tome Hanks

Will Smith

has any of these stars spoken in favor of the war in public. or are they silent supporters

part of me thinks that if Spielburg was not anti war most of hollywood would switch to pro war.
  • Reply 29 of 56
    ibeniibeni Posts: 54member
    probably Ronald Reagan....
  • Reply 30 of 56
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBeni

probably Ronald Reagan....

Reagan was a democrat before and shortly after he entered politics though.
  • Reply 31 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

Arnold Schwarzenager

Bruce Willis

Tome Hanks

Will Smith

Once you get so big that you do not need anybody in hollywood to get work it is ok to share a conservative political view.

if you are an actor just starting out you will stop getting called for work once your politics are known. Hollywood is a town of ego's and they choose to work only with people that agree with them. they surround themselves with agreement aboutr how great they are, etc.

How else do you explain that 75% of america are pro war. however, probably 80% of hollywood are anti-war
  • Reply 32 of 56
    Thank you, JC. That's exactly what I spoke about above: once you get to a certain level of fame or "cash cow status", you get some leeway and an aura of "untouchability". No one is going to tell Willis, Eastwood, Gibson, Schwarzenegger, etc. what they can/should think or believe. They make studios too much money.

But until you GET to that point, you're completely subject to the whims, personalities, cliques, etc. of the higher-ups, the producers, the "movers and shakers", etc.

Just like ANY OTHER INDUSTRY.
  • Reply 33 of 56
    Yes

the amazing thing about the complaints of the Anti-War actors is that

they are not being blacklisted as they still get lots of work. they are even paid to speek art anti war talks.

and they trruly have free speech to say whatever they want. Infact they have far more frreedom than average people as they have access to the media

the only thing that is happening tro them is that they are not being honored. Their ego's are such that a lack of agreement and honor occurs to them as a violation of their human rights. as if being honnored, reveared and agreed with is a human right which is unique to movie stars and protected by the constitutation of the United States.
  • Reply 34 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Just like ANY OTHER INDUSTRY.

I do not know of another industry which will keep you from working if you are openly republican. Except of course for the Democratic party.
  • Reply 35 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by JC

Yes

they are not being blacklisted as they still get lots of work. they are even paid to speek art anti war talks.

and they trruly have free speech to say whatever they want. Infact they have far more frreedom than average people as they have access to the media

the only thing that is happening tro them is that they are not being honored. Their ego's are such that a lack of agreement and honor occurs to them as a violation of their human rights. as if being honnored, reveared and agreed with is a human right which is unique to movie stars and protected by the constitutation of the United States.

What movie stars have is fame. With fame comes power and influence. Let me see if I get this straight:

Large Egos = Anti-War Celebrities.

Is that right?
  • Reply 36 of 56
    Quote:

What movie stars have is fame. With fame comes power and influence. Let me see if I get this straight:

Is that right?

NO, that is not right

and I have never ment to implied so.

there are many pro war people with large egos

if anything having a power, influence and a large ego allows you to surround youself with people who agree with you so that you can be rightess in your views.

Take the KKK for example, they all talked to each other and were able to convince themselves that everybody felt that way.
  • Reply 37 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by JC

if anything having a power, influence and a large ego allows you to surround youself with people who agree with you so that you can be rightess in your views.

Take the KKK for example, they all talked to each other and were able to convince themselves that everybody felt that way.

Huh?

• Reply 38 of 56
    Quote:

Is that right?

uh NO! most celebraties have large ego's this does not make them bad or wrong.

read the post again

Originally posted by JC

Yes

they are not being blacklisted as they still get lots of work. they are even paid to speek at anti-war talks. Tim Robbins won an award at ucla he is not backlisted, in truth he is mad because a large precentage of peopl in US do not like him because of his views. If anything Hollywood has blacklisted republican actors.

and they truly have free speech to say whatever they want. Infact they have far more frreedom than average people as they have access to a media which cany wait to quote them

• Reply 39 of 56
    Forgive me for being obtuse, but

What?

• Reply 40 of 56
    Quote:

Forgive me for being obtuse, but

What?

What exactly do you not understand