iPhone 15 USB-C will fix some problems, but create issues for most

Posted:
in iPhone

Apple's iPhone 15 transition to USB-C is good in the long run, but is bound to create consumer confusion in the larger population, thanks mostly to the continued evolution of USB-C connectivity itself.

A USB-C cable.
A USB-C cable.

The problem here isn't the early adopters, like most of the people reading this editorial. We've already bought USB-C cables, or acquired them with other devices. Or, we don't use cables anymore at all, preferring to use MagSafe to wirelessly charge our devices.

But the iPhone 15 USB-C shift is likely to create havoc, at least in the short term, for millions of other customers who will find the new connector to be another complication when it comes time to upgrade or replace their iPhone.

For the past decade, those folks have been buying Lightning-equipped cables and accessories. They've invested, for lack of a better term, in the connectivity, and they're only reluctantly going to be getting on board with a new connector that makes their existing gear obsolete. Those with really long memories will remember the noisy transition from the 30-pin Dock Connector when there were far fewer iPhone users.

A new connector every decade

Although USB-C hasn't come to the iPhone until this year, Apple is actually a pretty early adopter of the standard. Apple introduced USB-C on the Mac eight years ago with the 2015 MacBook, only a year after the standard itself was finalized.

Apple would eventually add USB-C connectors to the MacBook Pro, the iPad, and iPad Pro. But Apple has stubbornly stuck to Lightning for the iPhone until this year.

Apple's slow to change peripheral connectors, though it manages to do so about once a decade. The 30-pin Dock Connector appeared with the third-generation iPod in 2003, and lasted until 2012, when Apple debuted the iPhone 5.

At the time, Apple's VP of Worldwide Marketing Phil Schiller promised that Lightning would be iPhone the connector to last another decade. He was right -- Lightning made it 11 years before being replaced by USB-C.

Little Phil Schiller, big iPhone and Lightning EarBuds
Little Phil Schiller, big iPhone and Lightning EarBuds

When it comes to the iPhone, Apple seemingly had its hand forced by the European Union. The EU mandated USB-C last year, as a standard for most small electronics, including cell phones. While that rule doesn't go into effect until 2024, the iPhone's product cycle starts in September, so now's the time for Apple to make the change.

EU lawmakers saw USB-C is an opportunity to reduce waste and save consumers money. A report commissioned by the EU in 2021 claimed that such standardization will reduce the amount of annual e-waste European consumers produce by 11,000 tons and save them more than a quarter billion dollars.

So ultimately, the iPhone's transition to USB-C is about consumer convenience and economy. You can use the same cable to charge your Mac and your iPhone, and the same cable can charge, transfer data, and display video.

That, in theory, means fewer cables to bring with you when you travel, and fewer power adapters clutter your home, office, and backpack. Or at least, that's how it should work.

USB-C is good in theory, but less so in actual implementation. It's not at all obvious at a glance if the USB-C cable you're buying supports the highest-speed data transfer it can, or can support fast charging.

This isn't the connector's fault. In fact, the USB-C connector is pretty good, and a heck of a lot better than what preceded it. If we never see another micro USB cable, it'll be too soon.

USB-C is reversible, like Lightning, and it's pretty durable too. Cables with USB-C plugs are already in plentiful supply, you can get them almost anywhere, and adoption by device makers has been swift.

But "USB-C" as a term only tells part of the story.

Common connector, different cables

It's not obvious looking at them to know which cable has what functionality because "USB-C" simply tells you what kind of physical connector is being used. The same connector can be used for many different cables, capable of achieving different data rates and sporting different features.

A cable with a USB-C connector may support data transfer speeds of anywhere from 480 megabits per second (Mbps) to 80 gigabits per second (Gbps), depending on whether the cable is active or passive, and whether a USB 3.2 or 4 host controller is being used. Adding to the confusion is the fact that the USB-C connector is used for Thunderbolt 3 and Thunderbolt 4 -- though Thunderbolt cables are branded with a stylized lightning bolt that should make them pretty easy to recognize.

We're going to skip the full active versus passive discussion here as it's not super-relevant, but we've talked about it before.

Another potential point of confusion comes from the rumor that Apple will differentiate data transfer speeds on different iPhone 15 models. Pro models reportedly are getting higher-speed transfer of up to 20 Gbps, more than the USB 2.0 limit of 480 Mbps that Lightning allows, and more than the base model iPhone 15 and 15 Plus will purportedly support.

Trust no one

The USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF) deserves some blame for this. USB-IF members, including Apple and Intel, created a positively Byzantine set of "certified logo" programs to describe various USB capabilities, programs which are paper tigers that are for the most part completely unenforced. Cable makers can ignore the guidelines with impunity, and many do.

New USB-C logos
New USB-C logos

If money isn't an object, you can buy a USB-C cable tester, a specialized multimeter that will give you detailed specifications about the cable's capabilities. Assuming the cable uses an embedded E-Mark protocol controller, that is, which many do, but some don't.

We've even seen cables on Amazon and elsewhere with tiny LED displays that tell you what power level the cable is charging at and whether USB Power Delivery (USB-PD) is supported. But these are expensive options, and really overkill for the vast majority of consumers.

So what's the advice for people who are just wading into USB-C territory now? Don't assume every USB-C cable you get is the same.

Don't just pile USB-C cables into the same box or desk drawer as the rest of them. Track the cable that came with your device using labels, even improvise with a piece of masking tape if necessary.

And hope, against almost a decade of continued development and evolution, that Apple will wrangle some kind of sense out of this USB-C madness. But given how confusing their own cable nomenclature has become, we wouldn't bank on it.

Read on AppleInsider

Alex1NdewmeRonnyDaddyFileMakerFeller

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    Good article, thanks. Maybe others can comment on their thoughts of a "USB-C to lightning dongle" I expect many will be willing to buy to "be sure I can still use all my cables I paid for."

Oh, and I wonder if someone will write an app to run on your mac connected to a iPhone with a USB-C cable that will identify the cable's capability. Possible?
    edited September 2023 Alex1NbaconstangAnilu_777caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 43
    Then again, a significant percentage of people have, over the past few years, already switched to wireless MagSafe charging and the Lightning to USB change will be of little consequence.
    grandact73Alex1NdewmeSkeptical
  • Reply 3 of 43
    The good news is that almost any USB-C cable should charge an iPhone. I don't know if pure data (no power at all) cables are even USB standard legal. Every cable I've ever seen will carry at least 15 watts. I think even a Thunderbolt cable in a non-Thunderbolt port does 15 watts.  Of course, there are probably some non-certified cables that won't carry power (but I've never seen one), and I think some USB-A to USB-C adapter cables might be 5 watts instead of 15.

The one obvious exception is so expensive that nobody is likely to try and use it as a phone charger. Thunderbolt supports optical cables with optical-to-electrical transceivers in  in the connector ends. You do see them as extra-long Thunderbolt cables, and that's obviously not going to carry power unless somebody's run a couple of copper wires alongside the optical fibers. I don't know if hybrid cables like that exist, but I do know that at least some optical Thunderbolt cables are pure optical and won't carry power by definition. The good news is that an optical Thunderbolt cable is at least $200, and most are more like $300-$500 so it's not the kind of thing that's going to be lying around in a drawer waiting to bite unwary people looking to charge their phone - it probably runs from your Mac Studio to a big noisy RAID in a closet...
    Alex1NAnilu_777dewmeronald_schoedelwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 43
    hmlongco said:
    Then again, a significant percentage of people have, over the past few years, already switched to wireless MagSafe charging and the Lightning to USB change will be of little consequence.
    But for CarPlay. Yes, wireless CarPlay exists, but in far fewer vehicles. And...it isn't simple to handle in a car shared by multiple drivers with their own iPhone.
    Alex1NbaconstangAnilu_777RonnyDaddyronald_schoedelparaeekerFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 43
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,866member
    hmlongco said:
    It depends. 

For truly fast charging, wired is the only way to go. Wireless is great for convenience and people who don't have good dexterity.

Now that USB-C is virtually here, reverse wired charging would be a nice addition. 
    Alex1Ncaladanianronald_schoedelFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 6 of 43
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,385member

We've even seen cables on Amazon and elsewhere with tiny LED displays that tell you what power level the cable is charging at and whether USB Power Delivery (USB-PD) is supported. But these are expensive options, and really overkill for the vast majority of consumers. 

Since when is $18 for a 6.6' USB-C charging cable with 3-digit LED display at Amazon "expensive"?

I think it's awesome that tech even exist, and the price isn't bad at all.
    Alex1NRonnyDaddywatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 43
    I think the article is a red herring.  The author points out that the people reading this article are likely tech savvy and won't be confused by what he's about to write: the confusion the general population will suffer over the differences in USB cables.  But, as another comment already pointed out, all USB cables will be able to charge an iPhone and transfer data at the speeds of the previous standards, Lightning.  So why would the general consumer - not the professional who might need the speed of charging and data transfer - get confused?  They'll just use whatever cable Apple includes or buy the cheapest one they can find.  No confusion - and they'll be oblivious that they could be charging and transferring data faster.
    grandact73Alex1NAnilu_777RonnyDaddyronald_schoedelFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 43
    No. Not a problem at all. My usb-c cables, all well-labelled and easily visualise as 3.2, thunderbolt 3,4 and the most important thing is that they are durable and last for years, while Apple Lightning cables have their lives less than 2 years. EU cabling mandate is very much welcome.
    grandact73Alex1NRonnyDaddy
  • Reply 9 of 43
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,404member
    eightzero said:
    hmlongco said:
    But for CarPlay. Yes, wireless CarPlay exists, but in far fewer vehicles. And...it isn't simple to handle in a car shared by multiple drivers with their own iPhone.
    My work vehicle has wired Carplay, and both a wireless charging mat as well as two USB-A plugs. Like millions of consumers, I will either hang on to my iPhone 12 for another year OR buy an iPhone 15 (probably Pro) later in the year or early next.

My particular options mean that up to three iPhones could be charging simultaneously while the car is operating. If you have more people in the car that need to charge their phones, maybe you need an SUV with more USB ports, or maybe those people need to buy battery packs.
    Alex1NRonnyDaddywatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 43
    chasm said:
    eightzero said:
    hmlongco said:
    My work vehicle has wired Carplay, and both a wireless charging mat as well as two USB-A plugs. Like millions of consumers, I will either hang on to my iPhone 12 for another year OR buy an iPhone 15 (probably Pro) later in the year or early next.

My particular options mean that up to three iPhones could be charging simultaneously while the car is operating. If you have more people in the car that need to charge their phones, maybe you need an SUV with more USB ports, or maybe those people need to buy battery packs.
    IIRC, the latest iOS had some changes to CarPlay to allow others in the car to interact with the system via the driver's iPhone. I can see why some might want this, but the wireless systems seem to connect via BT, and it might not be intuitively obvious which it picks. While the wireless connection is nifty (no forgetting the phone that stays in your pocket) the simplicity of the wired versions advantages too. What I think I'll look for next is a some sort of solid USB-C dock that stays in the car. 
    Alex1NAnilu_777RonnyDaddyronald_schoedelwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 43
    I volunteer twice a week at my local State Park doing native plant restoration work in the field and nursery. Involves a lot of grubbing around in dirt and chopping through invasive plants. The iPhone in my pants pocket regularly gets tiny seeds, sand grains, and other debris in the Lightning port. I have accumulated a small arsenal of specialized tools to remove it. Hoping USB-C will make it better, or at least not worse. I know I could buy an expensive Otterbox type of protective case, but don’t want to have that on the other 90% of the time. A small easily removable plastic port plug would be great, but haven’t found one. 
    Alex1NwilliamlondonbaconstangRonnyDaddyronald_schoedelwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 43
    I volunteer twice a week at my local State Park doing native plant restoration work in the field and nursery. Involves a lot of grubbing around in dirt and chopping through invasive plants. The iPhone in my pants pocket regularly gets tiny seeds, sand grains, and other debris in the Lightning port. I have accumulated a small arsenal of specialized tools to remove it. Hoping USB-C will make it better, or at least not worse. I know I could buy an expensive Otterbox type of protective case, but don’t want to have that on the other 90% of the time. A small easily removable plastic port plug would be great, but haven’t found one. 
    I had the same issue with my Xr, and had given it up for dead. Took it to the Apple Store, and they cleaned it for free without AppleCare, restoring the dead port. I then bought lightning port plugs for it from Amazon. Will likely see if those fit USB-C or get ones that do. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NN8Y1LQ/

Alex1NAnilu_777ronald_schoedelwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 43
    Disagree with the writer. USB-C has been the standard for gadgets for years. Even if you only use Apple products whenever possible, the author himself states that Macs adopted USB-C in 2015. Everyone else? Headphones and pretty much every other gadget you can think of uses USB-C, including $10 USB-C earbuds for (presumably Android) phones and tablets. USB-C docks, dongles etc. are among the most popular items on shopping sites for a reason. If this wasn't the case the EU would have never had a basis to mandate USB-C to Apple to begin with. So this is nothing like the eleven years ago switch from the 30-pin connector to the lightning pin at all. Technology, the market etc. were entirely different back then. And it is precisely because USB-C has been so widely used for so long that finding good cables that can be used for both charging and data is easy. Even some bargain brands like Amazon Basics work quite well for everyone who isn't a digital media pro or someone else who has the most demanding requirements, and those people are going to buy their cables from Apple anyway. Also, you are pretending as if third party lightning cables don't exist

Whatever reasons Apple had for avoiding USB-C on their best selling products, unless you work for able and are contractually obligated to toe the company line, you can't pretend that the reason for it was the consumer. If anything the opposite is true: there will be another option out there for high quality USB-C cables if you need them to transfer data from your Android phone to your Windows computer (for example), and Mac and iPad Pro users will be able to use their Apple-provided cables for those products on iPhones etc. too.
    edited September 2023 Alex1NAnilu_777RonnyDaddycaladanian
  • Reply 14 of 43
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,683member
    The few USB-C devices I have used seem to have terrible fit.  The cable sits a half MM proud from the surface. 
    Looks bad feels like it’s not inserted all the way.  

I hope Apple’s fit perfectly.   
    Alex1NwilliamlondonbaconstangAnilu_777watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 43
    Causing havoc for *most* people? Talk about being utterly overdramatic. 
    Alex1Nwilliamlondonsdw2001caladanian
  • Reply 16 of 43
    avon b7 said:
    It depends. 

For truly fast charging, wired is the only way to go. Wireless is great for convenience and people who don't have good dexterity.

Now that USB-C is virtually here, reverse wired charging would be a nice addition. 
    I have a MagSafe stand that allows for iOS 17's "StandBy" night mode. I think more and more people are going to go that route. Doesn't matter if it fast charges while you're sleeping.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 43
    Change is normal with everything including Apple it's just part of life and we adapt and move on.    

Look at Apple the Apple II was a very hugely popular computer used by schools, businesses, and at home, could run multiple OSes,  but Apple came out with the Mac.   The Mac was a new CPU,  a new operating system MacOS,  closed system, crazy expensive, and little software.   Apple shoved SCSI in to the world with the Mac, a headed design with a tiny screen.    Apple didn't stop changing changing chips again,  dropping SCSI,  at one point multiple internal busses in difference models, Apple Unix, Apple the software company Apple not a software company and owning an Mac was risky.   Apple will say it was all innovation, but a lot was just to make do things there way. 

This is just a port change and not the first on the iPhone, quit making such a big deal out of it.  Life as you know it isn't coming to an end, at some point you'll switch and you'll have to adjust and then just moving on.   But don't worry like the headphone jack disappearing Apples going to make that charging port disappear in the near future too.  Now that will be a big change, but they will do it and people will live.   
    eightzeroAlex1NAnilu_777
  • Reply 18 of 43
    Toortog said:
    Change is normal with everything including Apple it's just part of life and we adapt and move on.    

I see what you did there. I have a drawer full of adapting.
    edited September 2023 baconstangdewmeAnilu_777ronald_schoedel
  • Reply 19 of 43
    XedXed Posts: 2,691member
    thadec said:
    Disagree with the writer. USB-C has been the standard for gadgets for years. Even if you only use Apple products whenever possible, the author himself states that Macs adopted USB-C in 2015. Everyone else? Headphones and pretty much every other gadget you can think of uses USB-C, including $10 USB-C earbuds for (presumably Android) phones and tablets. USB-C docks, dongles etc. are among the most popular items on shopping sites for a reason. If this wasn't the case the EU would have never had a basis to mandate USB-C to Apple to begin with. So this is nothing like the eleven years ago switch from the 30-pin connector to the lightning pin at all. Technology, the market etc. were entirely different back then. And it is precisely because USB-C has been so widely used for so long that finding good cables that can be used for both charging and data is easy. Even some bargain brands like Amazon Basics work quite well for everyone who isn't a digital media pro or someone else who has the most demanding requirements, and those people are going to buy their cables from Apple anyway. Also, you are pretending as if third party lightning cables don't exist

Whatever reasons Apple had for avoiding USB-C on their best selling products, unless you work for able and are contractually obligated to toe the company line, you can't pretend that the reason for it was the consumer. If anything the opposite is true: there will be another option out there for high quality USB-C cables if you need them to transfer data from your Android phone to your Windows computer (for example), and Mac and iPad Pro users will be able to use their Apple-provided cables for those products on iPhones etc. too.
    What exactly are you disagreeing with in the article?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 43
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,770member
    I just searched “Lightning port plug” on Amazon and found multiple choices. Many colors to choose from and the most expensive pack was only $6.99. 
    watto_cobra