'Baldur's Gate 3' lands on Mac September 21

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    mknelson said:
    draenar said:
    BG3 has been running great on my Mac Studio using GeForceNow.  
    Technically, that's not running on your Mac Studio…  B)
    I've been not running it on my Mac mini M2Pro. GEForce Now has its problems, though, with the number of save files you can have being one, and dodgy network performance the other. Also I've been getting some very sub-par graphics performance with maps not rendering properly, but that probably isn't GEForce's problem, since I got similar issues running on my Ryzen box.

I just want the Mac full release because the Early Access doesn't support controller input, only Mouse and Keyboard, and I really don't like how that works.

I may also take the opportunity to restart, since I messed up some Act 1 stuff that I want to go back and fix.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 26
    OferOfer Posts: 245unconfirmed, member
    Japhey said:
    Ofer said:
    Japhey said:
    jSnively said:
    Japhey said:
    [...]
    Can’t wait for Phantom Liberty either. Did you see they are having the Night City Wire Event tomorrow?
    Tomorrow has a bunch of goodies. Got a Night City Wire sandwiched between a Nintendo Direct and a Sony State of Play. I don't expect a lot from the State of Play (third-party and indie focused), but the Nintendo Direct is supposed to have one banger.

BG3 is easily GOTY, so it's really cool to finally see it come to Mac after the delay (which all things considered wasn't too terrible.)
    Thursday should be a fun day. Personally, I’m hoping that banger is a new F-Zero. 

I can’t wait to play BG3 once I clear through some of my backlog. I was going to get it on the PS5, but now I think I’ll get the Mac version instead. 
    Regarding F-Zero: just watched the Nintendo direct announcement. That was really disappointing. I was hoping for a modern remake of the game. Instead it’s the original and only available as an online option for people who subscribe to Nintendo’s subscription service. Boo!!!!!
    Agreed, that was a bit of a let down re: F-Zero. But I’m not discouraged because Nintendo is obviously putting a lot of effort into resurrecting some long dormant IP like this and Metroid. Hopefully this is just a first step to reacquaint gamers with F-Zero before releasing a modernized version on the Switch 2. Possibly even in VR. 
    I hope you’re right! That would be great! 🤞🏼 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 26
    mpantone said:

The notion of video gaming in front of a computer monitor or television set with a keyboard and mouse does not reflect today's gaming marketplace.
    Mobile gaming is huge but to imply it's replaced other forms of gaming is pure ignorance.  The multi-billion dollar AAA game business (of which Baldur's Gate 3 is a prime example) is solidly on PC and consoles and shows no signs of moving to mobile in the foreseeable future.
    edited September 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 26
    fully supported on macOS
    Great, then it will be available on the Apple App store, and I'll buy it. If it's not available on Apple's store, then it's not "fully supported on macOS." It's only partially supported. And then I won't buy it.
    So the Mac never had full software support before the Mac App Store, then.

Okay. Really strange take.

The point is, it was previously playable on Mac on streaming services. When the update arrives, then it will play on Apple Silicon on Macs. That's full support, not some strange "Only Mac App Store software is real software"
    I see your point, which is that we should live in the past and not consider the Apple App store as a valid part of macOS. To be more clear, what I don't like is having to install multiple app stores on all my Macs, (both mine and my families, since I support many people) so I don't bother with multiple app stores. If a company refuses to sell their product on the Apple App store, I will live without it. I'm a simple person who doesn't like complexity... some people enjoy complexity and that's great for them, but it isn't for me. If companies want money from me and my friends, they can sell on Apple's store. But I defend their freedom to sell only on obscure stores if that's what they want.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 26
    I see your point, which is that we should live in the past and not consider the Apple App store as a valid part of macOS. To be more clear, what I don't like is having to install multiple app stores on all my Macs, (both mine and my families, since I support many people) so I don't bother with multiple app stores. If a company refuses to sell their product on the Apple App store, I will live without it. I'm a simple person who doesn't like complexity... some people enjoy complexity and that's great for them, but it isn't for me. If companies want money from me and my friends, they can sell on Apple's store. But I defend their freedom to sell only on obscure stores if that's what they want.
    A number of developers consider apps delivered through the App Store as less functional or more restricted and thus choose to either not publish it there, or alternatively to also publish an unrestricted version on their own site. I would also say that defining Steam as an "obscure store" is kind of ridiculous, particularly in the context of gaming. We're all Mac fans, but let's face it, when it comes to computer games, the Mac App Store is the one that should be considered obscure.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 26 of 26
    fully supported on macOS
    Great, then it will be available on the Apple App store, and I'll buy it. If it's not available on Apple's store, then it's not "fully supported on macOS." It's only partially supported. And then I won't buy it.
    So the Mac never had full software support before the Mac App Store, then.

Okay. Really strange take.

The point is, it was previously playable on Mac on streaming services. When the update arrives, then it will play on Apple Silicon on Macs. That's full support, not some strange "Only Mac App Store software is real software"
    First off, way to completely misrepresent what Mike said. 

As for "multiple app stores"... aside from Steam/GOG/Epic Games game stores, what we're talking about is that there is a LOT of legit software for the Mac which does not sell in any "App Store", but is sold directly by the developer and installed separately. There are myriad reasons for this, including sandbox rules for the App Store, Apple's percentages, so forth. Nearly every single piece of my professional software (minus those that Apple sells) are not in the App Store. Selling software on your own website is not an "obscure store" by any means and is completely normal.