Apple Stores worldwide -- including China -- are packed for iPhone 15

Posted:
in iPhone

Allaying fears of lesser demand in China, stores in the country were as packed for the launch of iPhone 15 as everywhere else.

A woman with her new iPhone 15 Pro Max in Apple Central World, Bangkok
A woman with her new iPhone 15 Pro Max in Apple Central World, Bangkok

Also new in stores are the update AirPods Pro (2nd generation) with MagSafe Charging (USB-C), and Apple Watch SE. Apple had photographers at the first stores to open, starting with Apple Central World in Bangkok.

Welcoming the first buyers

Staff at Apple Central World high-fived customers, and also filmed the opening on their own iPhones.

Welcoming customers at Apple Central World, Bangkok
Welcoming customers at Apple Central World, Bangkok

There were also queues outside the store, with people filming themselves and the crowds.

Queues outside Apple Central World, Bangkok
Queues outside Apple Central World, Bangkok

High demand in Shanghai

Alongside Apple's photography of crowds outside the Apple Nanjing East in Shanghai, Reuters reports that over a hundred customers queued inside the store. The line outisde started forming at 5 a.m. local time, ahead of its opening at 8 a.m.

Queues inside Apple Nanjing East, Shanghai
Queues inside Apple Nanjing East, Shanghai

At the same time, Reuters notes that the iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max sold out in the first minute pre-orders began on the Alibaba Tmall site.

The orders in China are reportedly easing market concerns that the ban on iPhones imposed by the country's government would affect consumer demand too.

There has not, though, been a repeat of the stampedes that accompanied the iPhone 13 launch in China in 2021.

Apple's Deirdre O'Brien in Beijing

Apple's head of retail, Deirdre O'Brien, chose to join the staff at Apple Sanlitun, Beijing, for launch day.

Apple Head of Retail, Deirdre O'Brien, in Apple Sanlitun, Beijing
Apple Head of Retail, Deirdre O'Brien, in Apple Sanlitun, Beijing

Australian crowds greet the iPhone 15

Apple Sydney, Australia, was also among the first stores to open with the new devices, and it too saw long queues.

Apple Sydney, Australia
Apple Sydney, Australia

Staff in Sydney also welcomed the first buyers with applause.

Apple Sydney staff welcoming customers with applause
Apple Sydney staff welcoming customers with applause

At time of writing, UK stores have opened and been selling the iPhone 15 for around two hours. Shipments to US customers should be beginning soon, and retail Apple Stores will typically be opening at 10 a.m. local time.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Yet another year of doomsayers falling flat on their faces. 
    pjorlandodanoxAlex1NFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 18
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    And the surprising thing is that so many buy into the doom year after year.  One of the things that people don’t get is that Apple products have been a signifier for middle class entry in Asian countries and the other thing is the number of young people still excited to buy Apple products.

The majority of Apple fans are the young and people who are bit more wealthy.  The cost conscious customers (the ones with families and mortgages) are the ones who are more likely to be android users & hence the ones who will forestall purchases, so android is more susceptible to slow down with economic issues or competition from other brands (Huawei).

And the other thing is that I bet the majority of these buyers are walking out with iPhone 15 ProMaxs so the ASP for Apple is going to be higher this go around.
    edited September 2023 KierkegaardenbyronldanoxAlex1NFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 18
    I have a 12 pro max and still not tempted to upgrade yet
    jfabula1williamlondonOfergrandact73
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Outrageous! I blame Tim Cook. 😉
    Alex1NFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 18
    I upgrade every year to Pro Max and my wife gets my hand me down. I used to wait in line at the store but not that exited anymore so my order is said to be coming in October. Come to Papa
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 18
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,103member
    Fighting fake news is an everyday battle. Keep fighting!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 18
    The headline photo of the girl with the beautiful smile brightened up my day!
    OferdanoxwilliamlondonAlex1NFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Huawei founder Ren said he likes to learn why Apple is so successful. 
  • Reply 9 of 18
    "The orders in China are reportedly easing market concerns that the ban on iPhones imposed by the country's government would affect consumer demand too."

This description is a fallacy. 
    danox
  • Reply 10 of 18
    I for one have an iPhone 12 Pro Max and upgrading to 15 Pro Max.

24 month payment @0% makes the purchase a no brainer. My current phone will go to my niece.

danoxAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    "The orders in China are reportedly easing market concerns that the ban on iPhones imposed by the country's government would affect consumer demand too."

It is absolutely not a fallacy. The US market is 100% concerned that the ban, which may or may not be in place, would impact consumer demand.
    KierkegaardenAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Looks like China wants to keep a good relationship with the hand that feeds it. 

On another note, there has GOT to be a meme writing itself in this photo:

edited September 2023 Alex1N
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Its the CPP and not Chinese folks.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 18

It is absolutely not a fallacy. The US market is 100% concerned that the ban, which may or may not be in place, would impact consumer demand.
    Yes, it is a fallacy. It is called false dichotomy. The correct description is
    "The orders in China are reportedly easing market concerns that the ban on iPhones in work places imposed by the country's government would affect consumer demand too."

This is no different from US governments banning TikTok in work places. 
    edited September 2023
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Iphone 15 Pro demand seems to be off the hook.. I put in for upgrade in the subscription program and I have to wait 2 months for iPhone 15 Pro Max. Supercool to see the enthusiasm and energy.. Only Apple can bring this to the world.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

Yes, it is a fallacy. It is called false dichotomy. The correct description is
    "The orders in China are reportedly easing market concerns that the ban on iPhones in work places imposed by the country's government would affect consumer demand too."

This is no different from US governments banning TikTok in work places. 
    Yeah, it still isn't, and your "correction" is a grammatical nightmare.

This concludes this avenue of conversation in the forums.
    edited September 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 18
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,874member
    I for one have an iPhone 12 Pro Max and upgrading to 15 Pro Max.

24 month payment @0% makes the purchase a no brainer. My current phone will go to my niece.

Most of the Apple devices end up in the hands of younger relatives, the next door neighbor or a coworker, that’s where all of my devices have gone when I have upgraded. :blush: 
    edited September 2023 muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra