No, you're not going to damage your iPhone 15 with an Android USB-C cable

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2023

Over the weekend, a few third-party Apple vendors in China made the incredibly stupid claim that using Android USB-C cables would destroy your iPhone 15 -- which quickly went viral. In actuality, the claim is bogus, and there is no danger.

Is this an 'Android' USB-C cable, or an Apple one?
Is this an 'Android' USB-C cable, or an Apple one?

When the iPhone 15 went on sale, a third-party retailer in Foshan, Guangdong Province was advising customers about "Android USB-C" cables in the iPhone 15. The store pointed out that the one cable had nine pins on one side of the bi-directional cable, versus 11-pins on an another cable. The stores suggested that the different number of pins per side would lead to damage to the iPhone.

This claim is, of course, total nonsense.

The very poor advice by a dealer that wasn't Apple was very quickly picked up by social media and wrongly attributed to Apple itself, in typical social media fashion. And then, it got published by otherwise reputable Gizchina, with little critical thinking applied for reasons known only to the writer and the publication.

The truth of the matter is clear. Both cables exist, and both are in spec. There is no chance of damaging your iPhone with an "Android" USB-C cable, any more than there is to damage an Android phone with an Apple cable.

There are "nine-pin" USB-C cables, but this is in spec

A USB-C cable is not a dumb length of copper that you plug in. It is not the same as the cable from your light to your wall socket, and it's not even close.

In total, there are 24 possible pins on USB-C cables, with 12 on a side of the internal tongue inside the port, and ringing the inside of the cable-end to make it bi-directional. The cables are used not just for data and power transfer, but also as part of the handshake process to regulate data, charging, and alternate modes between a host and a client, or a host and a power source. Not every pin needs to be wired or even present at all on any given USB-C cable.

We're not going to get too deeply into the partially Apple-designed USB-C spec, but it's easy to do if you want. Some USB-C basics are still required to understand why this claim by the third-party vendor is garbage.

USB-C pinouts, image credit Tech Design Forums
USB-C pinouts, image credit Tech Design Forums

Looking at the above diagram, as an example of a cable not needing every pin, a just-USB 2.0 cable doesn't have the pins marked in the light blue and green connected to anything, and there is likely not even contact paths on the connector for them.

Initial USB-C negotiation is also going to prevent damage to a device in the handshake process. During this handshake, the cable communicates back-and-forth what power should be distributed, and what combination of volts and amps should be applied from the charging device to the device that needs power.

During this handshake if the process doesn't provide reliable information on what power to provide, then power won't be transferred.

There are issues with USB-C, with the most prominent one being that it's hard to tell at a glance what any given cable can do. But that's not really relevant here, and the spec is specifically designed to prevent a scenario like the third-party vendor generated to stoke fear -- and probably sales.

So, in short, use that "Android" cable without fear. It's not going to hurt your iPhone.

And, frankly, Gizchina should have known better.

Read on AppleInsider

gatorguydewme

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Sorry my friend I’m colorblind and don’t understand whichever might be blue and which are some other color.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,893administrator
    Sorry my friend I’m colorblind and don’t understand whichever might be blue and which are some other color.
    TX and RX pins, in this case.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Been using a Leviton wall plate charger with USB-C and Power Delivery, and an Amazon Basics cable to charge my iPad and MacBook Air for over a year now. I charge my iPhone with a Belkin wireless pad. But I'd have no issue with plugging that cable directly into an iPhone 15.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Expect the rumor source, they even had a real fake Apple store there before. So dont be scared 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Seems overblown, but because of third-party cable and charger fires, we only buy authentic Apple accessories. And only directly from Apple, because everything on Amazon, Ebay, etc. is suspect. We only get non-powered third party accessories.
    ronnwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Appleish said:
    Seems overblown, but because of third-party cable and charger fires, we only buy authentic Apple accessories. And only directly from Apple, because everything on Amazon, Ebay, etc. is suspect. We only get non-powered third party accessories.
    No, everything on Amazon, eBay etc. is not suspect. Please quit it with the FUD.
    1. Anker cables are great. Anker was founded by very good engineers who left Google and built a much better and far more profitable hardware business than Google ever will.
    2. Samsung, Lenovo, Cable Matters and Belkin cables are very good.
    3. Amazon Basics cables are fine. I have been using them for years, including the 30 pin and lightning cables that I have bought for many an iPad and iPhone

Guys, seriously. I know everyone wants to avoid the cables used by the $75 prepaid phone crowd. But seriously, a Samsung Galaxy Z Fold - I don't name these things - costs $1800 and that is actually down from $2000. And a Samsung Galaxy Tab Ultra costs $1500. Android devices have been using USB-C for going on 10 years. Not only that, notebook PCs have been shipping with USB-C chargers. Steam Deck, a gaming console, and its copycats? The same. Even in the Apple ecosystem, MacBooks and iPad Pros have used them for years. The whole "USB-C chargers are used for Android phones and have no quality control!" nonsense was precisely that, pushed by Apple fans who take it upon themselves to defend every. single. corporate. position. that. Apple. takes. Provide tons of free Apple PR even though they aren't being paid by Apple marketing and aren't even running blogs or YouTube sites where their advocacy can be monetized with clicks. It is amazing. 

Third party Apple proprietary cables have always existed and people have always bought them. And there have been PLENTY Of reputable manufacturers of USB-C cables for ages, which iPad customers have been buying. Claims that the iPhone is somehow different and special - or their customers are somehow less able to find good cables than everybody else - are just that.
    muthuk_vanalingamneoncatdewmegatorguywilliamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Appleish said:
    I mean, pay more if it makes you feel better. But that's all you're doing: paying more. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Using a cheap cable regardless of where it's from may destroy your iPhone but that doesn't mean an Android USB-C cable will. 
  • Reply 9 of 13
    macxpress said:
    Using a cheap cable regardless of where it's from may destroy your iPhone but that doesn't mean an Android USB-C cable will. 
    Destroying your iPhone with a cheap cable is much harder than it used to be, as the USB-C negotiation process is more robust than what's come before.

No reliable handshake = no power transfer. That said, I'm still not going to buy a cable from an Amazon brand with too many adjacent consonants, nor from a gas station.

edited September 2023 ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    owningyou said:
    macxpress said:
    There's no such thing as an "Android USB-C cable". 
    You should probably tell that to the Chinese stores, and Gizchina.
    ronnmacxpresswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    thttht Posts: 5,536member
    People should be reminded that not all USBC cables are the same, and you should read the fine print on what USB protocols it supports and what USB-PD. Does the symbol/icon recognition feature in iOS17 work on the USB symbols? Best way for folks might be just to use the symbol recognition feature?

USBC with USB2 protocol, which is likely the cable in iP15, iP15P and iP15PM boxes, only need about 4 or 5 wires. It will be a thin and pliable wire.

USBC with USB3 protocol, which you have to buy separately, will have about 9 wires. It will be obviously be thicker and likely stiffer.

USBC with TB3/4 protocol, which you have to buy separately, will have about 12 wires. You know when you buy it because it is going to be expensive and should have the thunderbolt icon. Thickest wire. It basically supports all USB protocols.

As far as how much power the cable is rated for, well, I think you have to read the fine print. These cables are being made as cheaply as possible, and some cables that work fine at 10 W (5V, 2A) may not be ok at 20 W (5V, 4A or whatever it may be). There protocols should limit the amount of power going through the wires in accordance to what they are rated for, but something bad always leaks through or the cable could be frayed, damaged, whatever.
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    owningyou said:
    macxpress said:
    There's no such thing as an "Android USB-C cable". 
    I'm glad you signed up just to say that lol. That's not what I meant. I meant a cheap USB-C cable that comes with the cheap Android phones. But of course you knew that. 
    ronnwatto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam