macOS Sonoma can be installed on 83 unsupported Macs with this tool

Posted:
in Mac Software

The 1.0.0 version of OpenCore Legacy Patcher has been released, allowing a number of Macs that don't officially support macOS Sonoma to now run the operating system.

OpenCore Legacy Patcher
OpenCore Legacy Patcher

Apple's macOS operating system updates often drop support for older Mac and MacBook models. Some Mac users therefore cannot take advantage of features found in the newer releases, unless they upgrade their hardware.

The OpenCore Legacy Patcher project, which is for a bootloader that allows newer macOS versions to work on older unsupported models, has introduced its latest version. As previously confirmed to be slightly behind the main macOS Sonoma release, the October 2 launch brings back support for the older Mac collective.

In a GitHub post announcing the release, the launch will bring macOS Sonoma support to 83 unsupported Mac models. While support for macOS Sonoma is included, it is warned that development is ongoing and not all features may be supported at first.

The main limitation of the macOS Sonoma release is a lack of hardware support for the T1 Security Chip, which applies to 2016 and 2017 MacBook Pro models with a Touch Bar. Work to add support is ongoing, but no schedule has been set for it.

The list of models that can use OpenCore Legacy Patcher 1.0.0 to run macOS Sonoma includes:

• 2008 to 2019 12-inch and 13-inch MacBooks

• 2009 to 2017 11-inch and 13-inch MacBook Air

• 2008 to 2017 13-inch to 17-inch MacBook Pro

• 2009 to 2017 Mac mini

• 2007 to 2018 20-inch to 27-inch iMac

• 2008 to 2018 Mac Pro

• 2008 to 2010 Xserve.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    I can attest to it's stability!  I have a 2014 Macbook Pro and use it daily without any issues or concerns.  I would be stuck to an OLD OS if it wasn't for OpenCore and thus I have better security, more features, etc. because of this program.
    gregoriusmappleinsideruserFileMakerFellerAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 27
    clexmanclexman Posts: 209member
    How am I just learning that this was an option!

Time to roll the dice and see what happens on my 2012 MBP retina. 
    gregoriusmappleinsideruserAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 27
    mayflymayfly Posts: 385member
    I've heard this at every Mac User Group meeting, in person or online, since 1986. How do I keep my Macintosh Plus running so I can keep using those floppies??

Ditch that obsolete software/hardware you've been using for your Bon Jovi fan club letter, get a new or more current computer (give OWC a call, they'll help you with it) that can run the current OS, and learn something new, instead of moaning about why Apple doesn't support ClarisWorks forever.
    edited October 2023
  • Reply 4 of 27
    How do I install the OpenCore Legacy Patcher?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 27
    I might look at this for my 17" MBP that I have (at least to bring it to a more modern OS), as well as my daily driver of a 2016 MBP, and at the very least bring it up to Ventura, and maybe Sonoma.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 27
    mayfly said:
    Ditch that obsolete software/hardware you've been using for your Bon Jovi fan club letter, get a new or more current computer 
    As soon as they update the 27 inch iMac I'm in.  Those Bon Jovi newsletters require a lot of real estate
    mayflyAlex1NmretondoFileMakerFellerwatto_cobraTRAG
  • Reply 7 of 27
    zeus423zeus423 Posts: 242member
    I proudly use AppleWorks on a G5 tower at school. All original parts. With just a few years until retirement, why would I bother recreating everything? Plus it still rocks iTunes when students are working in groups. 
    Alex_VAlex1NcincyteeFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Open core patcher keeps my original 27” 5k happy. Maybe I’ll wait one stop before Sonoma for a month or two…
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Anyone considering doing or has done a 2012 macMini⁉️  I want to for my home office.  Please let me know if anyone has and can advise.  ThankZ.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Why on earth would anyone want to install this bloated shite on an older computer that likely runs very well on an OS that was designed for it. Waste of life ...
  • Reply 11 of 27
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    mayfly said:
    I've heard this at every Mac User Group meeting, in person or online, since 1986. How do I keep my Macintosh Plus running so I can keep using those floppies??

Ditch that obsolete software/hardware you've been using for your Bon Jovi fan club letter, get a new or more current computer (give OWC a call, they'll help you with it) that can run the current OS, and learn something new, instead of moaning about why Apple doesn't support ClarisWorks forever.
    I can understand with the price of the 16" Pro as it can cost $4k for a good spec but the 15" Air with 24GB/1TB is just $2099. Every 15" Intel Macbook Pro can be upgraded to that and it's much better. Twice as fast, 25% lighter, slimmer design, better display, fanless. The old computer is free to keep running of course but for 10 year old hardware, the Air is a decent upgrade.

dewmekurai_kagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Marvin said:
    mayfly said:

I can understand with the price of the 16" Pro as it can cost $4k for a good spec but the 15" Air with 24GB/1TB is just $2099. Every 15" Intel Macbook Pro can be upgraded to that and it's much better. Twice as fast, 25% lighter, slimmer design, better display, fanless. The old computer is free to keep running of course but for 10 year old hardware, the Air is a decent upgrade.

Buying any Intel-Based Apple computer at this juncture is playing Russian Roulette. Who knows when the next OS upgrade only works on Apple silicon?
    appleinsideruserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 27
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    I have a 2008 Max Pro.  I’ve installed windows on it natively to run some model train software but might have to try this out (mostly for fun).  
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Ik run a MacBook Pro and a 13” MacBook both with Ventura. Both run quickly, snappy even, and very with few problems. I’m going this route to Sanoma to, and expect no trouble. Setup is easy, wel documented and you don’t have to be any type of wizard. 
    edited October 2023 appleinsideruserAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 27
    chadbag said:
    I have a 2008 Max Pro.  I’ve installed windows on it natively to run some model train software but might have to try this out (mostly for fun).  
    My unsupported MacBook runs Ventura (Dortana) and Parallels, to run Windows. No problems whatsoever. 
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 27
    cincyteecincytee Posts: 404member
    mayfly said:

If software is serving a user's needs, it's not obsolete, despite what sales weasels foisting the latest and greatest code on us will tell you. For example, I don't know that it could play well with current file formats, but ClarisWorks is a pretty solid program for doing what it claims it will. I don't use CW any more, but the only thing that I can see forcing me to upgrade my 2010 mini and 2012 MacBook Pro (the last models with optical drives, both now on High Sierra) is browser support for ever-more-complicated webpages (i.e., more ads per page). I might use a tool like OpenCore Legacy Patcher to create a partition with a newer OS for the applications that require it. (Already installed the big SSD....)
    edited October 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 27
    I just upgraded from Ventura to Sanoma. In less than half an hour all is running fast an' great. This on a 15 inch 2016 MacBook Pro. End of ad.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 27
    swat671swat671 Posts: 150member
    I'm still surprised that my 2017 15" MBP lost support this year. It's a powerful system, so it should be able to run the new OS update. The difference between Ventura and Sonoma is so small, it shouldn't be an issue to update. Unless Apple really DOES do the whole "planned obsolescence" thing. I'm curious why the article mentions potential issues with the T1 security chip....   
    appleinsideruserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 27
    I just upgraded from Ventura to Sanoma. In less than half an hour all is running fast an' great. This on a 15 inch 2016 MacBook Pro. End of ad.
    I just upgraded my 2016 MacBook Pro from Monterey to Sonoma.  Now I cannot get to WiFi and the resolution is stuck at native 2560 x 1800 -- in displays it says monitor type unknown
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 27
    cincytee said:
    mayfly said:

If software is serving a user's needs, it's not obsolete, despite what sales weasels foisting the latest and greatest code on us will tell you. For example, I don't know that it could play well with current file formats, but ClarisWorks is a pretty solid program for doing what it claims it will. I don't use CW any more, but the only thing that I can see forcing me to upgrade my 2010 mini and 2012 MacBook Pro (the last models with optical drives, both now on High Sierra) is browser support for ever-more-complicated webpages (i.e., more ads per page). I might use a tool like OpenCore Legacy Patcher to create a partition with a newer OS for the applications that require it. (Already installed the big SSD....)
    You didn't factor the increasing need for bandwidth in modern web and streaming content. I don't know if that was intentional or you just don't consume that kind of content, but if you're "content" with what you have now, good on ya! I'm still using a 2012 Mini myself, but only because it uses a 1TB SATA hard drive, not an SSD, and it's used only for storage of music files now that I have a new 2023 M2 Mini networked to it.
    watto_cobra