DuckDuckGo could have been Apple's private search engine

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    XedXed Posts: 2,806member
    I see that Ecosia is now an option in Safari. I'm not sure when it was added, but I assume it was for macOS Sonoma. I hadn't heard of it before. This seems like something that is inline with Apple's ethos that they could get for cheap... assuming they felt they could earn more profit than what Google gives them (which seems very doubtful).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecosia

edit: It looks like Apple added it on "14 December 2020 [...] as a search engine option in macOS Big Sur 11.1 and iOS/iPadOS 14.3."
    edited October 2023 Alex1NNoGodsNoMasterswatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 33
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,564member
    Xed said:
    I see that Ecosia is now an option in Safari. I'm not sure when it was added, but I assume it was for macOS Sonoma. I hadn't heard of it before. This seems like something that is inline with Apple's ethos that they could get for cheap... assuming they felt they could earn more profit than what Google gives them (which seems very doubtful).

edit: It looks like Apple added it on "14 December 2020 [...] as a search engine option in macOS Big Sur 11.1 and iOS/iPadOS 14.3."

From an Ecosia announcement in 2020:

"We have very exciting news. Chrome, the world’s most popular browser, has added Ecosia as an official search engine option around the world! That means users with the latest Chrome update can now plant trees while using the browser across all devices.

Ecosia has joined other search engines like Google, Bing, DuckDuckGo and Yahoo! as a default search engine option in 47 countries. Gaining visibility across Chrome’s huge user base means that it’s even easier for millions of people to make the switch to Ecosia and reforest the planet.

Alex1NNoGodsNoMasters
  • Reply 23 of 33
    I am quite content with my Apple products. They do the job with a minimal amount of invasion but I truly hate both companies. 
    williamlondondanox
  • Reply 24 of 33
    I just left Duck Duck Go.

It is not as good as google.
    williamlondongrandact73gatorguy
  • Reply 25 of 33
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,300member
    imat said:
    - Apple Card availability?
    Not even in Canada yet. With no hints of it coming here. Thanks for making a list of Apple's US-centric worldview.
    I find that odd, considering the amount of cross border commerce that takes place, especially where I live. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 33
    XedXed Posts: 2,806member
    gatorguy said:
    Xed said:

From an Ecosia announcement in 2020

Why the fuck would you post about Chrome here? Do you think that Chrome needs the free marketing boost from you?
    williamlondondanoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Xed said:
    gatorguy said:
    Xed said:

Why the fuck would you post about Chrome here? Do you think that Chrome needs the free marketing boost from you?
    You may not use Chrome, but millions of Apple users do either on some other computer system or on a Mac for instance. Those folks don't need to stay with Google's search browser and its perceived privacy issues, which is probably not widely known. Choose another default from the list they offer, including that Ecosia one you've expressed interest in, or DuckDuckGo, the topic of the thread. 
    edited October 2023 FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 28 of 33
    Xed said:
    gatorguy said:
    Xed said:

Shills gotta shill. Wouldn't it be great if they marked all posts of that ilk with "promotional crap paid with their integrity."
    Xedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 33
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,023member
    Interesting that Apple added an iOS 17 feature to allow you to specify a different search engine for private browsing compared to regular browsing.  And that it was reported on today on AI (interesting given this article).  
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 33
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,242member
    macseeker said:
    Gawd, without a doubt, I love DuckDuckGo.

Al least Apple had the good sense of listing DuckDuckGo in the selection list of internet search engines.
    Not good enough for DuckDuckGo, but no need to worry for Google they would love, not paying Apple and having people just type Google into a prompt, not ideal like their current deal being listed as a default, but still much better than paying all that money to Apple.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 33
    chadbag said:
    Interesting that Apple added an iOS 17 feature to allow you to specify a different search engine for private browsing compared to regular browsing.  And that it was reported on today on AI (interesting given this article).  
    Good move on Apple's part since they were aware they were involved in the lawsuit.  At least it will be harder for the opposition to claim it's near impossible to change defaults. 
  • Reply 32 of 33
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,121member
    Sa change it after the initial setup.  It’s hilarious reading the faux outrage out in the community like it’s some kind of massive conspiracy.  It only takes seconds.  I couldn’t care less if it doesn’t give me that choice at setup.  Why stop at default search?  Why not inundate the customer with every conceivable iOS choice at setup then?

find something else to whine about.
    edited October 2023 gatorguywilliamlondonFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 33
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,242member
    imat said:
    As Apple is right now, I don't think they could really improve DuckDuck Go very much even if they acquired it. Apple still is VERY MUCH a US company. Google and even Meta are much more international than Apple as a mindset and services.

Examples:
    - how long did it take for AppleTV to have all the promised services in countries outside the US (back in the day when you could buy TV shows on AppleTV but only in the US)
    - how long did it take to sell the OG HomePod in other countries beyond English speaking ones? Related to that: how long did it take to have Siri speak languages other than English and have feature parity (like person recognition based on voice)
    - how long is it taking to release "News" App worldwide (still not available in many countries
    - Apple Card availability?

Apple is getting better at it, but it still has a long way to go before becoming a truly global service provider. Don't get me wrong, I know some of these involve complicated negotiations and do not entirely depend on Apple alone. But operating a search engine worldwide, with all the rules in place, is not that different...

Apple is a vertical hardware/software company, they will never be rootless like a software only company, and Google, Meta are dabbling in hardware. Googles (Pixel) geekbench me too position says it all. And when Google and Meta fail with a hardware project they have shown that they will just cut the cord, and Meta of the two will be cutting a big one in the next year or two.

https://browser.geekbench.com/mobile-benchmarks ( The Google Pixel 7 (8 cores) is number 53 below the pacesetters the 15 Pro and the 15 Pro Max which are 1 and 2, and the Samsung S23 Ultra (8 cores) is at 25 behind the first 24 slots which are all Apple devices).

What is interesting is the fact that the Apple 11 Pro iPhone (6 cores) which is a 4-5 year old phone isn’t that far off from the Samsung S23 at 31st place, the Google Pixel 8 was just announced. I doubt it will move up past the Samsung S23, which is at 25, it might barely get into iPhone 11 Pro (6 cores) territory which is at the 31st position.

Going through the list. I noticed that all of the Apple iPhones are still at six core and it appears eight core is reserved for the iPads. Apple definitely isn’t dabbling in SOC’s.
    All of the Android phones appear to be eight cores, both Google, and Samsung along with the Chinese brands following along.

The overall core Apple software implementation, still picture/video camera performance and the third-party programs available (Black-magic Cam for example,) work on all iPhones and iPads going back through the 11 Pro and the iPad third generation 12.9 on iOS/iPadOS across-the-board Apple is unmatched, yes you can point to a couple of still pictures, here and there, but the totality of the Apple ecosystems hardware and software are far ahead of the competition.

edited October 2023 williamlondonwatto_cobra