Apple's rumored iPad event could take place on Tuesday

Posted:
in iPad edited October 2023

Apple is allegedly preparing to introduce new iPad models with a minor spec-bump as soon as Tuesday, but there are reasons to doubt the timetable.

iPad mini
iPad mini

The rumor mill has discussed iPads repeatedly in recent months, with a late 2023 launch turning into an early 2024 introduction for some models that may gain an OLED display. Now, it is believed by one report that an update to the iPad range will take place within days.

In a Saturday post, sources "familiar with Apple's media plans" who spoke to Supercharged said that Apple is planning briefings with "select media personnel" concerning the iPad. The sources also said an announcement could occur as early as October 17.

Those updates will consist of minor changes that boost the speed of the models, rather than any form of overhauling. This could include the iPad Air gaining the M2 chip, while the iPad mini could shift to the A16 Bionic.

Despite being relatively minor, the event could still take place in a video format, with the suggestion of it viewable on Apple's website and on YouTube. However, a "hybrid" event with visitors to Apple Park has been discounted.

Questionable timing

While the claim of a Tuesday could be handy for potential iPad upgraders, there is always a possibility the rumored event could not happen. The publication is new, and has no track record as it pertains to their own rumors about Apple's product cycle. Other venues have since chimed in, and said that they corroborated it with their own sources.

In Mark Gurman's weekly newsletter, he appears skeptical about the rumor of a Tuesday announcement.

"While I reported in July that Apple was planning such a release this year, the latest indications are that it won't happen this month," writes Gurman on Sunday morning. "A new entry-level iPad, iPad Air and iPad mini are all in development with faster chips, but I don't believe updates of any significance are imminent."

According to TF Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, it was "unlikely" that Apple would make updates to the iPad lineup before the end of 2023.

AppleInsider has attempted to determine if an event will take place. Typical indicators of a launch, such as a block on employee time-off requests for specific days, aren't in effect on this occasion. While blocked days aren't entirely reliable to indicate a product launch, their lack of presence two days before a debut, and presumably five before the availability puts the release into doubt.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Ready to pre order the new Mini iPad.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    I want M3 Macs.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,862administrator
    dk49 said:
    I want M3 Macs.
    Almost certainly in 2024, not in 2023.
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 14
    I want M3 iMac - NOW!
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 14
    nubusnubus Posts: 387member
    Ready for an iPad Air A17 with extended battery life. But do reduce pricing by $100.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 14
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,813member
    Afarstar said:
    I want M3 iMac - NOW!
    What is an M3 Mac going to do what the current ones don't? 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 14
    macxpress said:
    Afarstar said:
    I want M3 iMac - NOW!
    1) more than 16GB of memory 
    2) dramatically more powerful GPU
    3) faster and higher core count CPU

Even upgrading the 24” iMac to an M2Pro would be a major improvement.  

Now is the time for Apple to upgrade the iMac to the M2 series since the M3’s are due in early 2024.  I would expect the 24” iMac to be on par with the Mac mini at least. 
    edited October 2023 williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 14
    macxpress said:
    Afarstar said:
    I want M3 iMac - NOW!
    Be supported for two more years.
    With Sonoma, Apple just dropped support for the Intel iMacs that came out in 2017 which means the oldest iMacs that can run Sonoma are the 2019 models which is kind of insane. 
    blurpbleepbloopwilliamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 14
    macxpress said:
    Afarstar said:
    I want M3 iMac - NOW!
    With Sonoma, Apple just dropped support for the Intel iMacs that came out in 2017 which means the oldest iMacs that can run Sonoma are the 2019 models which is kind of insane. 
    This really is one of the biggest issues with Apple’s release cadence. These 2017 Mac’s are functionally equivalent to the 2018/2019 models with small CPU change for most models but they are now disallowed to run the latest OS.
    These recent ‘discounts’ on Apple’s 2+ years old M1 Macs would be much more attractive if the supported timeline was not truncated by the same number of years.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 14
    macxpress said:
    Afarstar said:
    I want M3 iMac - NOW!
    1) more than 16GB of memory 
    2) dramatically more powerful GPU
    3) faster and higher core count CPU

Even upgrading the 24” iMac to an M2Pro would be a major improvement.  

Now is the time for Apple to upgrade the iMac to the M2 series since the M3’s are due in early 2024.  I would expect the 24” iMac to be on par with the Mac mini at least. 
    If someone is coming from an Intel Mac the current M1 iMac will blow it away in nearly every category. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 14

macxpress said:
    Afarstar said:
    I want M3 iMac - NOW!
    Because you absolutely have to have the latest and greatest macOS at all times smh
    williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 14
    macxpress said:
    Afarstar said:
    I want M3 iMac - NOW!
    Why would anyone say this, ever?
  • Reply 13 of 14
    macxpress said:
    Afarstar said:
    I want M3 iMac - NOW!
    Older Macs are still supported by Apple, just not with macOS 14.  macOS 12 Monterey is still receiving security updates.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    macxpress said:
    Afarstar said:
    I want M3 iMac - NOW!
    Why would anyone say this, ever?
    Why would anyone not say this? Other than speed which most iMac consumers don't even need what is it going to do? For the average iMac consumer the M1 iMac is already overkill for them.