Apple debuts third-generation Apple Pencil with USB-C charging

Posted:
in iPad edited October 2023

Apple has launched what it calls a "more affordable" Apple Pencil, adding USB-C charging for all modern iPads, but removing one key feature.

The new Apple Pencil charges with USB-C
The new Apple Pencil charges with USB-C

The new Apple Pencil is more universal than the previous models, and works with all iPad models that have a USB-C port. This includes iPad (10th generation), iPad Air (4th and 5th generations), iPad Pro 11-inch (1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th generations), iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th generations), and iPad mini (6th generation).

Rather than relying on a cap to cover a male connector like the first-generation model, or wireless charging like the second-gen version, the new Apple Pencil instead has a sliding cap that uncovers a USB-C port, to accept a cable for charging.

While it doesn't have wireless charging, the new model does magnetically attach to the side of an iPad.

Apple says the latest model has the same precision, low latency, and tilt sensitivity as its other Apple Pencil models. Like the second-gen model, it also includes Hover support on the iPad Pro, so users can still preview on the display where their Apple Pencil will mark.

One unexpectedly missing element is pressure sensitivity, a core feature of the first and second-generation models, but one that is absent in the USB-C edition.

"Apple Pencil has revolutionized note taking, sketching, and illustrating, unleashing endless possibilities for productivity and creativity," according to Apple VP of Worldwide Product Marketing Bob Borchers. "Combined with the versatility of iPad, the new Apple Pencil unlocks another great option to experience the magic of digital handwriting, annotation, marking up documents, and more.

The new Apple Pencil will ship in early November. It retails for $79. First and second-generation Apple Pencil models are currently on sale at Amazon, with prices as low as $89.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    pslicepslice Posts: 151member
    Yay! Now if they’d create a way to track a lost pencil like they did with the AppleTV remotes. Too expensive to lose.
    pulseimageswilliamlondonwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 2 of 48
    So hang on.  It’s WORSE than Apple Pencil 2 in every way?  Am I missing something?
    newisneverenoughpulseimageswilliamlondon9secondkox2gregoriusmgrandact73Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 48
    So hang on.  It’s WORSE than Apple Pencil 2 in every way?  Am I missing something?
    Yes, you’re missing that it’s only $79, compared to the $129 of the 2nd gen. You get to choose, it’s not replacing the 2nd gen.
    pulseimagessphericmuthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon9secondkox2PancakegregoriusmAlex1Nwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 4 of 48
    No pressure sensitivity? WHAT?!?!?!!

Good thing I still have my Gen. 2 Apple Pencil. (A couple of 1st gen pencils kicking around, too.)
    newisneverenoughpulseimages9secondkox2nubuspscooter63Alex1Nwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 5 of 48
    Yes, you’re missing that it’s only $79, compared to the $129 of the 2nd gen. You get to choose, it’s not replacing the 2nd gen.
    Thank you I genuinely appreciate that.  It would be nice if the article made that clear, though.
    pulseimageswilliamlondonkurai_kagegregoriusmAlex1Nwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 6 of 48
    If it’s basically just a generic stylus… I don’t see the point. It sounds like a horrible product. I also have to say thank god I have a gen 2! I use the Magnetic Charging all the time-so useful and efficient. And to reduce the artistic flexibility is also just bizarre. This seems like a totally misguided cheapening of a product. if I want a cheap stylus they’re available everywhere already. 
    pulseimageswilliamlondon9secondkox2pscooter63dewmeAlex1Nwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 7 of 48
    If it’s basically just a generic stylus… I don’t see the point. It sounds like a horrible product. I also have to say thank god I have a gen 2! I use the Magnetic Charging all the time-so useful and efficient. And to reduce the artistic flexibility is also just bizarre. This seems like a totally misguided cheapening of a product. if I want a cheap stylus they’re available everywhere already. 
    No. This has its place and the Gen 2 is still available. It’s $50 less so a lot of people will benefit from this. 
    williamlondon9secondkox2gregoriusmAlex1Napplebynaturewatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 8 of 48
    sbdudesbdude Posts: 261member
    This has been quite the autumn release event.
    williamlondonmac'em xwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 9 of 48
    No wireless charging? This is going backward! No thanks. I am sticking with my 2nd gen.
    williamlondon9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 48
    No wireless charging? This is going backward! No thanks. I am sticking with my 2nd gen.
    Yes, going "backward" for $50 less than the 2nd generation, that is still available. 
    williamlondonravnorodom9secondkox2nubuswatto_cobrabyronlbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 11 of 48
    This is so disappointing that we are now on 3rd generation and still no “Find My” support. Its not like I’m constantly losing my pencil, but it did happen once and with everything else Apple, it just seemed logical that the first place i go is the “Find My” app… silly me, there i go thinking again…
    9secondkox2Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 48
    This a pretty poorly written article. 

Apple isn’t replacing either the gen 1 or gen 2 Apple Pencil with this one. Both the gen 1 and 2 are still being sold.  They are adding a lower cost option to the line up and not it’s not terribly surprising that the lower end version doesn’t have all the features of the higher end versions. 

They also aren’t calling it a generation 3 pencil. That’s something Apple Insider has made up. Apple is calling it Apple Pencil (USB-C). They specifically avoided calling it Gen 3 to avoid the confusion Apple Insider has created. 

Just delete the article and start over. 
    Pancakemike1ravnorodom9secondkox2hcrefugeenotwichrednubusBannedForFreeSpeechgregoriusmspheric
  • Reply 13 of 48
    I stopped buying iPads after v3 when I realized that this is the intro computer for your kid or your grandma.

The vast array of model and accessory options are both confusing and frustrating.

This is why you have to make those choices For your kid or your grandma.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Well…. That’s not gonna work for me, but cool.
    9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 48
    Yep. 

Without pressure sensitivity, it’s a total fail for anyone doing creative design work. 

Unbelievable. Perhaps it will be updated via software? If it can’t be, this thing is DOA. Who the heck approved this thing to launch with such a foundational feature missing? 
    ravnorodomAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 48
    This a pretty poorly written article. 

Apple isn’t replacing either the gen 1 or gen 2 Apple Pencil with this one. Both the gen 1 and 2 are still being sold.  They are adding a lower cost option to the line up and not it’s not terribly surprising that the lower end version doesn’t have all the features of the higher end versions. 

They also aren’t calling it a generation 3 pencil. That’s something Apple Insider has made up. Apple is calling it Apple Pencil (USB-C). They

specifically avoided calling it Gen 3 to avoid the confusion Apple Insider has created. 

Just delete the article and start over. 
    The other 2 pencils are lightning and wireless based. Because the ipads they paired with were built for that. 

New idevices are usb-c from now on. Apple has to provide usb-c accessories if they aren’t contact based or contactless. It’s basically the only way to charge unless you have an older lightning cable (first gen) or go buy one. So it is basically the replacement. And prices low because it doesn’t have the functionality to make it useful as anything other than a UI stylus and basic sketch/text tool. 
    edited October 2023 sphericravnorodomwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 17 of 48
    This is so disappointing that we are now on 3rd generation and still no “Find My” support. Its not like I’m constantly losing my pencil, but it did happen once and with everything else Apple, it just seemed logical that the first place i go is the “Find My” app… silly me, there i go thinking again…
    Seriously. Apple has those tiny trackers. Should be able to fit it in the pencil. 
    watto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 18 of 48
    Truth. Funny how a couple folks got mad at you stating the facts. 

This product literally does not need to exist. 

Apple made a case for the pencil with very specific use-cases because they had to overcome Jobs saying “if you’re using a stylus, you’re doing it wrong.” And apple succeeded. The pencil earned its right to exist with its creative precision and ability. 

This… is “doing it wrong” as Jobs said. It’s just a stylus that doesn’t need to exist. Feel bad for the people who buy this without paying attention to the details that it basically can’t do any creative work other than drawing the same lines over and over. I see a lot of returns in the near future. 

This is confusing the market. Come on, Apple…
    edited October 2023 ravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 48
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,875member

Look at the chorus of people conniving to make the Apple Vision Pro cheaper, and it hasn’t even been released yet. Sometimes making it cheaper isn’t better, you’re not missing anything you’re seeing it for what it is.
    9secondkox2Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 48
    Things to make you go hmmm.
    9secondkox2dewmeAlex1Nwatto_cobra