You don't have to flip this Magic Mouse hack over to charge

Posted:
in General Discussion

An engineer has hacked Apple's Magic Mouse to give it a USB-C charging port -- in a better place -- and also given it a more ergonomic case.

Ivan Kuleshov''s hacked Magic Mouse
Ivan Kuleshov''s hacked Magic Mouse

Ivan Kuleshov has previously hacked Apple's Mac mini to be powered over Ethernet, and has now reworked the Magic Mouse. Basically unchanged since its 2009 debut, the Magic Mouse has been criticized chiefly for how it can't be used while being charged.

That charging was and still is done by a Lightning cable -- despite expectations of a change to USB-C -- and it's done with a connector on the underside of the mouse.

Kuleshov has addressed that, but also worked on the other occasional criticism that the Magic Mouse is ergonomically awkward. Together, these issues mean that the Magic Mouse has been described as one of the worst of Jony Ive's designs.

In Kuleshov's new design, Apple's Magic Mouse appears to simply sit in a wider, deeper base. In practice, there's a lot more engineering work involved to make that happen, and it included wiring the battery connectors "so the mouse doesn't turn off while charging."

How it works pic.twitter.com/77oh7eM9kN

-- Ivan Kuleshov (@Merocle)

As well as the demo of the revamped Magic Mouse in use, the complete thread on Twitter/X shows multiple different casing designs that Kuleshov tried. Plus he details the steps needed to make a USB-C connector that lets users continue working with the mouse while charging.

Kuleshov says he will release all of the specifications and details on GitHub shortly.

Read on AppleInsider

FileMakerFeller

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    you also just don't have to use the magic mouse, as it's about as far from magic as there can be for a mouse.
    If you're still preaching for magic mouse, you haven't tried even the basic bottom barrel bluetooth mouse.
    magic mouse = pos
    grandact73beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 2 of 57
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    Yet again a clever proof of concept. He’s basically created a “magic shoe” for the Magic Mouse that allows the mouse to be used while charging. It works. But it’s pretty obvious from the implementation why Apple never chose to go down this path. It’s design and aesthetics are okay from a mouse-in-a-shoe perspective, but Apple (at least with Jony Ive at the helm of the design team) would never have allowed this to be labeled as an Apple product. It’s too large, bulky, and reminiscent of mouse designs you can get from many other vendors for $29.99.

Whether you liked Jony’s approach or not, he always stuck to his guns and saw that his vision for a product met his design and aesthetic goals. Anything that deviated too far from what he envisioned was seen as a failure. One can argue that what comes across as a single-minded and arguably narrow focus on the primary functionality, like using the device and how it feels in the hand, led to functional compromises when it came to ancillary functionality, like charging the device. The Magic Mouse is imo pleasant and efficient to use, but yeah, there is no getting over the clunky recharging scenario. The rationale must have been something like “you obviously only recharge the device while you’re not using it.” This makes perfect sense only until it doesn’t.
    watto_cobraAlex1NFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 3 of 57
    It only takes a few minutes to get 8-9 hours of charge using the port on the bottom. The complaints about the location were always inane. 
    AppleZuluPancakemknelsonzeus423watto_cobraFileMakerFellerjony0
  • Reply 4 of 57
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,011member
    So much effort and expense just to avoid turning it over and plugging it in while you get a cup of tea. 
    Pancakemknelsonzeus423watto_cobraFileMakerFellerjony0
  • Reply 5 of 57
    It only takes a few minutes to get 8-9 hours of charge using the port on the bottom. The complaints about the location were always inane. 
    100%. It’s never been an issue for me. The BENEFIT of the charging port being in the bottom is nothing ever gets stuck in there. If it was on the back or front you wild over time get dirt, skin and lint stuck in the port. 
    mknelsonwatto_cobraFileMakerFellerjony0
  • Reply 6 of 57
    dewme said:
    Yet again a clever proof of concept. He’s basically created a “magic shoe” for the Magic Mouse that allows the mouse to be used while charging. It works. But it’s pretty obvious from the implementation why Apple never chose to go down this path. It’s design and aesthetics are okay from a mouse-in-a-shoe perspective, but Apple (at least with Jony Ive at the helm of the design team) would never have allowed this to be labeled as an Apple product. It’s too large, bulky, and reminiscent of mouse designs you can get from many other vendors for $29.99.

Whether you liked Jony’s approach or not, he always stuck to his guns and saw that his vision for a product met his design and aesthetic goals. Anything that deviated too far from what he envisioned was seen as a failure. One can argue that what comes across as a single-minded and arguably narrow focus on the primary functionality, like using the device and how it feels in the hand, led to functional compromises when it came to ancillary functionality, like charging the device. The Magic Mouse is imo pleasant and efficient to use, but yeah, there is no getting over the clunky recharging scenario. The rationale must have been something like “you obviously only recharge the device while you’re not using it.” This makes perfect sense only until it doesn’t.
    Not a mouse in a shoe.  Rather than being inserted into something (like a foot into a shoe), the mouse is pretty clearly separated in half with a center section added, which also encompasses the lower half.

His design philosophy of form over function is the reason I don't care for his designs in general.  He was a good (not great) product designer when kept reined in, but a disaster when let loose.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 57
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Pancake said:
    100%. It’s never been an issue for me. The BENEFIT of the charging port being in the bottom is nothing ever gets stuck in there. If it was on the back or front you wild over time get dirt, skin and lint stuck in the port. 
    I agree, plus with the Sonoma desktop widget, I never get caught out, which has happened to me a couple of times with previous macOS versions. AS to the guy criticizing the magic mouse as not being magic, I have numerous mice and several PCs as well as Macs.  IMHO it is 'Magic' by comparison with any other mouse for speed and productivity.  I suspect that person doesn't use it correctly :)
    13485watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 57
    Pancake said:
    What's hilarious to me is that the critics seem to think that the placement of the charging port is either some kind of mistake or a form-over-function decision to not have a visible hole mucking up the sleek design.

The  reality is that the port was put on the bottom of the mouse quite intentionally, because it's a wireless mouse, and Ive didn't want users to leave it plugged in, using it as if it were a wired mouse. The OG Magic Mouse had to be flipped over to swap out the batteries. It doesn't take much longer than that maneuver to get a day's charge on the rechargeable one. 

It's not hard to imagine the next iteration won't have a port at all, and will simply charge via a watch charger and/or an iPhone MagSafe wireless charger. You won't be able to use it while it's charging that way, either. Whatever will people do?

watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 9 of 57
    Just no. Unnecessary, way too much work for what it is. The minority of people complaining about how the mouse charges really need to go find a life.
    zeus423watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 57
    AppleZulu said:
    Pancake said:
    What's hilarious to me is that the critics seem to think that the placement of the charging port is either some kind of mistake or a form-over-function decision to not have a visible hole mucking up the sleek design.

The  reality is that the port was put on the bottom of the mouse quite intentionally, because it's a wireless mouse, and Ive didn't want users to leave it plugged in, using it as if it were a wired mouse. The OG Magic Mouse had to be flipped over to swap out the batteries. It doesn't take much longer than that maneuver to get a day's charge on the rechargeable one. 

It's not hard to imagine the next iteration won't have a port at all, and will simply charge via a watch charger and/or an iPhone MagSafe wireless charger. You won't be able to use it while it's charging that way, either. Whatever will people do?

What is hilarious to me is that Ive fanboys seem to thing that the placement of the charging port was to prevent accumulation of debris in the charging port when it was clearly a for over function decision to not have a visible hole mucking up the sleek design.

IF, as you assert, "Ive didn't want users to leave it plugged in, using it as if it were a wired mouse" it would have been because that would ruin his perceived aesthetic beauty of the design.  What we end up with is a design which looks horrible and is completely non-functional when charging.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobraMplsP
  • Reply 11 of 57
    I'm of the opinion that Apple has never made a good mouse. They are always uncomfortable and ergonomically bad, and I feel that the touch stuff on the last few versions is a bad idea. I like to have actual buttons on my mouse, and have them fill my palm/hand. Any "smart" features of the Magic Mouse are available using the keyboard (which I prefer, I must be old...), and I think they are faster on the keyboard anyway.
    OctoMonkeyAlex1N
  • Reply 12 of 57
    1348513485 Posts: 347member
    I'm of the opinion that Apple has never made a good mouse. They are always uncomfortable and ergonomically bad, and I feel that the touch stuff on the last few versions is a bad idea. I like to have actual buttons on my mouse, and have them fill my palm/hand. Any "smart" features of the Magic Mouse are available using the keyboard (which I prefer, I must be old...), and I think they are faster on the keyboard anyway.
    I've used the Magic Mice in the various versions (wired, battery and under-carriage charging) since the beginning. No problems, perfectly comfortable, perfectly usable, perfectly ergonomic for me. And I've also used a variety of Kensington mice over the last few decades...meh, OK not great. Don't need buttons.  But I also like the extended Mac keyboards, so maybe I'm a clueless Bobo.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 57
    In my mind, the best Apple mouse is the original ADB mouse.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 57
    AppleZulu said:
    Pancake said:

What is hilarious to me is that Ive fanboys seem to thing that the placement of the charging port was to prevent accumulation of debris in the charging port when it was clearly a for over function decision to not have a visible hole mucking up the sleek design.

IF, as you assert, "Ive didn't want users to leave it plugged in, using it as if it were a wired mouse" it would have been because that would ruin his perceived aesthetic beauty of the design.  What we end up with is a design which looks horrible and is completely non-functional when charging.
    Using it as a wireless mouse is literally its intended function

Do you get this worked up about not being able to drive your car while you're filling up the fuel tank? I've got news if you're thinking about driving an EV...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 57
    AppleZulu said:
    AppleZulu said:
    Pancake said:

Do you get this worked up about not being able to drive your car while you're filling up the fuel tank? I've got news if you're thinking about driving an EV...
    The intended function is to be a computer mouse.  It operates exclusively in a wireless mode.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 57
    AppleZulu said:
    AppleZulu said:
    Pancake said:

The intended function is to be a computer mouse.  It operates exclusively in a wireless mode.
    ... which makes it a wireless mouse, yes. I think you're finally getting it!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 57
    AppleZulu said:
    AppleZulu said:
    AppleZulu said:
    Pancake said:

... which makes it a wireless mouse, yes. I think you're finally getting it!
    Condescension...  such a wonderful thing.  Almost as good as ignore.  :-)
    edited November 2023
  • Reply 18 of 57
    omasouomasou Posts: 576member
    Oh, nice turned an Apple mouse into a MS/Logitech mouse /s Yawn.
    watto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 19 of 57
    omasouomasou Posts: 576member
    AppleZulu said:
    AppleZulu said:
    Pancake said:

Apple allows me to use my Apple keyboard while charging. Not doing the same for the Apple mouse is a miss.
    edited November 2023 OctoMonkey
  • Reply 20 of 57
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    dewme said:

Not a mouse in a shoe.  Rather than being inserted into something (like a foot into a shoe), the mouse is pretty clearly separated in half with a center section added, which also encompasses the lower half.

His design philosophy of form over function is the reason I don't care for his designs in general.  He was a good (not great) product designer when kept reined in, but a disaster when let loose.
    Thanks for the clarification on the functional aspects of the design. I was really commenting on the appearance, but obviously the motion sensors on the bottom of the mouse need to be in close proximity to the bottom of the device for it to work properly. 

It's still interesting that someone would put in the effort to demonstrate that a concept is possible, like the PoE Mac mini, or that something we generally assume to be undoable, like a way to charge the Magic Mouse while using it, can actually be done. But it this case, it only became doable because the designer eliminated one of the major constraints that drove the original design. By doing so he added another degree of freedom that opened up additional functional opportunities. It still comes down to the design following the vision and intentions of the designer, functionally and aesthetically. It has nothing to do with designer oneupmanship because the two designers aren't playing by the same set of rules and constraints. 

The Magic Mouse's designer obviously did not intend to built a thick, slab sided mouse. He or she converged on a final design that left no obvious place to stick in a charging port without compromising the design aesthetics. Fortunately, there are many designers out there and each one of them has their own design vision and imperatives that define their unique design signature. Unique doesn't always mean functionally better or even aesthetically better to everyone. For example, people who have lived in Frank Lloyd Wright homes, or worked in one of his building designs, have often reflected on the functional challenges and compromises that are involved despite the recognized beauty and uniqueness of his designs, by many, but not all.

One thing I still wonder about is why more wireless mouse and trackball designers have not gone after using an inductive charging mechanism. Perhaps it has something to do with the need to periodically park the mouse exactly on top of a charging coil built into the desk, desk pad, or a mouse pad. Perhaps as far-field wireless power transfer technology becomes more mature and widely available it can be used in conjunction with precision UWB localization to allow all of the wireless devices sitting on your desk, or even all wirelessly charged devices in a room, to be charged simply because they are within line-of-sight proximity to the charging station or broadcast beacon. Seems doable in the not too distant future.
    OctoMonkeywatto_cobraAlex1NFileMakerFeller