NFL has nothing better to do than mistake an iPad Glove for an injury

Posted:
in iPad edited November 2023

While carrying an iPad, Cincinnati Bengals' player Joe Burrow wore a tablet glove before a game, then injured his wrist during it -- and now crack NFL investigators are looking for a molehill.

Joe Burrow and (inset) the video showing a mysterious device aka an iPad glove
Joe Burrow and (inset) the video showing a mysterious device aka an iPad glove

It's "CSI: NFL" as social media footage of Burrow wearing something on his wrist has been slowed down, highlighted, possibly deleted, and maybe then recovered. It's all very suspicious, until you see the footage and without ever having heard of tablet gloves, immediately know that he's wearing an tablet glove.

Tablet gloves exist, still, believe it or not. Originally intended as a primitive form of palm rejection, a modern tablet glove fits over the hand and just keeps smudges down on an iPad, but otherwise doesn't get in your way. You haven't got one, it's not going on your Christmas list, but artists -- and seemingly the Bengals star quarterback Joe Burrow -- like them.

: The NFL will investigate why the #Bengals didn't have QB Joe Burrow listed on their injury report prior to the #Ravens game, per @AdamSchefter

Burrow was seen on a team social media post with something on his wrist, which they deleted..pic.twitter.com/Lg6oifZwYj https://t.co/3OFeZIvUSk

-- Dov Kleiman (@NFL_DovKleiman)

Presumably after watching the social media video, the NFL is not wondering who invented such a thing as iPad gloves, they're focusing on the real issue here. Which is apparently that the Bengals did not list Burrow on their injury report before the game.

In the NFL's defence, the Bengals presumably did not list him because he wasn't injured before the game -- but then he did get injured during it. And that injury was to the same wrist.

It's practically a conspiracy.

One of a hundred different iPad gloves, this one costs ten bucks on Amazon
One of a hundred different iPad gloves, this one costs ten bucks on Amazon

"It looked like he sprained his [right] wrist," Bengals coach Zach Taylor said to The Guardian newspaper. "Fell on it early in the game and then felt it on the touchdown pass."

Burrow left the game in the second quarter, and the Bengals are now bottom of the division after losing to the Ravens 34-20.

The way the NFL tells it, at least according to ESPN Senior NFL Insider Adam Schefter on Twitter/X, is that Burrow seemed to be wearing "a device that looked like a soft cast on his thumb" before the game. And anyway, the Bengals deleted that photo of him later, so it's got to be serious.

It actually could be. Despite the glove clearly not being a splint, the NFL is reportedly regarding this as a matter of compliance with the sport's Injury Report policy. Teams failing to abide by that can be fined -- or even lose a draft pick.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    erioerio Posts: 30member
    Blame ESPN for making a mountain over a molehill—all about the clicks and views!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    He may be wearing a tablet glove, but he's not using an iPad. The NFL signed a deal with Microsoft back in 2013. The NFL uses Surface tablets. The branding is all over the sidelines. Here's a link in case you don't believe me:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/blog/2020/03/03/empowering-nfl-microsoft-surface-microsoft-teams/

I wouldn't expect a UK-based writer to know this, but c'mon. This is clickbait.
    edited November 2023
  • Reply 3 of 12
    thttht Posts: 5,630member
    He may be wearing a tablet glove, but he's not using an iPad. The NFL signed a deal with Microsoft back in 2013. The NFL uses Surface tablets. The branding is all over the sidelines. Here's a link in case you don't believe me:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/blog/2020/03/03/empowering-nfl-microsoft-surface-microsoft-teams/

If you look at the video, that definitely looks like a caseless iPad with Apple logo and all. It's blurry, and the device is bluish tinted. Not many tablets are like that except for iPads.

The video is of JB presumably walking into the stadium.

On the field, MS Surfaces are used for play imagery, in thick blue cases. This is required from the MS contract. This is off the field, where the players are allowed to use and wear whatever they want.

watto_cobrabageljoey
  • Reply 4 of 12
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,491member
    I have never heard of "tablet glove" and I have no issues with my palms on my iPad Pro. Must be Surface thing. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,922administrator

The NFL may be using a Surface on the sidelines, but he is absolutely carrying an iPad.
    watto_cobrabageljoey
  • Reply 6 of 12

netrox said:
    I have never heard of "tablet glove" and I have no issues with my palms on my iPad Pro. Must be Surface thing. 
    They started with Wacom tablets back in the day, and still ship with some. iPad has good palm rejection, but some artist folks including our own tablet reviewer and artist-in-residence Brian Patterson still like to wear one from time to time.

This is addressed (some) in the text.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    It actually could be. Despite the glove clearly not being a splint, the NFL is reportedly regarding this as a matter of compliance with the sport's Injury Report policy. Teams failing to abide by that can be fined -- or even lose a draft pick. 
    Like everything else involving money, everything is gamed. Every rule. Every policy. At all levels. The injury report is used as a strategic tool all the time where uninjured players are placed on it, injured players are not placed on, to whatever combination in between. As such, whenever they decide to look into something, it's an inherent lose-lose situation because they've let abuse of rules happen as common circumstance to the point where everyone accepts it as normal.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    #Bengals QB Joe Burrow claims that the device we've seen him wearing on his wrist in the deleted video was to prevent his hand from swelling up due to altitude on the plane.
    watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 9 of 12
    richpjr said:
    #Bengals QB Joe Burrow claims that the device we've seen him wearing on his wrist in the deleted video was to prevent his hand from swelling up due to altitude on the plane.
    Interesting claim, but a two-finger glove won't do that.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Interesting claim, but a two-finger glove won't do that. Hey, that sounds better than not washing your one pair of game day underwear for like 6 years.

Compression gloves are a thing. Doesn't really do anything for these guys though. There like twentysomethings at the peak of physical condition, not oldies with bad hearts.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Better look:
    Screenshot for the YouTube averse:

watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Under the Surface, it's an iPad.
    MacProFileMakerFellerjony0