A bride-to-be discovers a reality-bending mistake in Apple's computational photography

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    My point is that this woman didn’t innocently snap a photo and end up with this. It was either done on purpose or is faked. 
    This woman obviously didn't innocently snap a photo because it's not a selfie.  Someone else took it.
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 22 of 46
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,677member
    A U.K. comedian and actor…

Enough said.   

It’s fake.  

watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 46
    I for one, if it is true, think that is an awesome pic, what bride or groom would want to take a third less pictures of their wedding  in a marriage which will prolly last only 3 years anyway…🧐
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 46
    robjnrobjn Posts: 283member
    This looks fake.

People that know the iPhone camera image process pipeline are saying it is impossible for it to end up with results like this. With live photos turned off the camera captures multiple frames in a very short period of time, too short for the movement seen in the video. Those frames are taken at different exposures etc and only produce one sharp de-noised image, not three.

Whether the image is genuine or not, the Apple Genius is either misquoted or wrong because Apple does not beta test in the way he is claimed to have said.

Since Coates is a standup comedian I don’t know how seriously to take this, perhaps it is all just part of some joke. I guess we’ll have to watch her next show to find out.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 46

gatorguy said:
    So… Apple has AI creating images of our photos instead of…taking actual photos?

worse than Samsungs fake moons. 

On the other hand - and more likely, this is a hoax. 
    Especially in low light your iPhone does take a multi-photo exposure, then analyzes those multiple images to determine the best portion of each and fuse them into one "best photo"  It is not a single frame image capture so odd images could happen as a result.  Google and Samsung do the same, as do most others with varying levels of success.

I don't know how this particular photo happened, but at least according to an Apple Genius who was consulted on the photo, it was a result of different image captures with the best parts of each combined. He could be wrong. 
    That’s not how it works. It does not take the best “portion of each” such as taking the left part of one image and the right part of another. The different images are at different exposures. They are compared to determine color, capture detail and reduce noise. What we see in this image seems impossible. The Apple Genius is wrong. Besides, they don’t know anything more about the image pipeline or beta software changes than Apple makes public.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 46

gatorguy said:
    This effect is old use iPhone pano when you change pose twice as it’s panning across. It’s not a computational error. Such a fuss out of nothing TikTok is full of this shite.  What an attention sealing bride guess wants a sponsor to pay for her dress. 
    Your iPhone absolutely does take a multi-photo exposure, then analyzes those multiple captured images to determine the best portion of each and fuse them into one superior image. Fact. 
    In good light, such as we have here, those multiple images are taken at different exposures in a very short time. The pipeline only produces one sharp properly exposed image, it can’t produce three such images at different points in time. You are wrong about it fusing portions of each image together. One image is chosen and then the others are used to enhance it at a pixel level.
    watto_cobragregoriusm
  • Reply 27 of 46

Alex_V said:
    SL356 said:
    Sorry folks. This is totally fake. No way 'computational photography' produced this. 
    I know what you mean. It doesn't need computational photography to occur. This effect can happen on a 35mm film SRL with a horizontal focal plane shutter: if the subject moves as the shutter is travelling horizontally across to expose the film. I believe the iPhone has a rolling shutter — same thing.
    The shutter speed would have to be incredibly slow because there is a lot of movement. That’s not how iPhones take photos in good light. They only hold the shutter open in very low light.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 46
    Almost certainly seems like a panorama photo. You can easily recreate this with that mode. 

Like others have said, a single shot using computational algos would not make this. As it does not combine photos over long periods of time. It’s in an instant. Definitely not long enough for the different arm positions. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 46
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,930member
    nah it’s just accidental panorama. there are only two poses - left and right, stitched in the middle. the clerk likely used it by accident (done the same myself). the original photo is horizontally wide like a short pano. 

the two halves of the pano:

left:

and right:

watto_cobraAlex1Nfilmjeffanonymouse
  • Reply 30 of 46
    gatorguy said:
    Actually this is a very common trick you can do in photography, this isn’t possible when taking a picture on the iPhone unless you know how to do it. You’re either using an app or photoshop to stitch the 3 images together. I’ve done images like this for years. Nothing new and it’s an intentional trick not something the iPhone did by mistake. It says she’s a comedian and her instagram is wheatpraylove. Yeah this was an intentional joke not something the iPhone mistakenly did.
    Huh. According to an Apple Genius that's not how this photo was captured. He explains it is as a result of Apple's computational photography combining parts of different captured images in camera in order to produce the most pleasing photo. 

By the way, you can intentionally combine captured iPhone images using your iPhone alone, no 3rd party app or Photoshop needed. 
    No if it was computational error the motion of her moving her hands would be blurred by the shutter speed 
    edited December 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 46
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,345member
    robjn said:

gatorguy said:
    So… Apple has AI creating images of our photos instead of…taking actual photos?

worse than Samsungs fake moons. 

On the other hand - and more likely, this is a hoax. 
    Especially in low light your iPhone does take a multi-photo exposure, then analyzes those multiple images to determine the best portion of each and fuse them into one "best photo"  It is not a single frame image capture so odd images could happen as a result.  Google and Samsung do the same, as do most others with varying levels of success.

I don't know how this particular photo happened, but at least according to an Apple Genius who was consulted on the photo, it was a result of different image captures with the best parts of each combined. He could be wrong. 
    That’s not how it works. It does not take the best “portion of each” such as taking the left part of one image and the right part of another. The different images are at different exposures. They are compared to determine color, capture detail and reduce noise. What we see in this image seems impossible. The Apple Genius is wrong. Besides, they don’t know anything more about the image pipeline or beta software changes than Apple makes public.
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/23/03/16/iphone-vs-android-two-different-photography-and-machine-learning-approaches

I'm repeating what was reported is all. Maybe everyone is wrong. 
    edited December 2023
  • Reply 32 of 46
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,345member
    and the mystery may be solved:

"To a normal eye, this may look quite normal, but to me this resolution does not look ok because that’s not the resolution iPhone 12 takes a photo in. iPhone 12’s Main camera takes a photo with 4516 by 3874, but her photo is 3028 by 3948. Which is not possible unless you’re taking a photo in the panorama mode.

What happened is her arms are down and she was moving her arm. Maybe she moved the right arm up first and then the left arm up later. Meanwhile, the camera was in panorama mode and it stitched all these together.

The key here is that the image didn’t come out wide enough to actually get designated as a panorama by iOS. This is why there’s not an icon on the image to indicate it’s a panorama. Essentially, it was a failed panorama by whoever took the picture for Coates."

anonymouse
  • Reply 33 of 46
    SL356 said:
    Sorry folks. This is totally fake. No way 'computational photography' produced this. 
    I agree. I've done this with 35mm film and digital SLR's as well. A lot of people doing 360 degree pano's show the same thing; "multiple me's." Of course, it wouldn't happen with a 360 degree or spherical single-shot rig. But hey! She got the buzz she wanted and the dress is nice. Congrats!

watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 46
    Alex_V said:
    SL356 said:
    I know what you mean. It doesn't need computational photography to occur. This effect can happen on a 35mm film SRL with a horizontal focal plane shutter: if the subject moves as the shutter is travelling horizontally across to expose the film. I believe the iPhone has a rolling shutter — same thing.
    Actually, no, this would not happen with a 35mm camera. She would have to be the Flash to move fast enough for this to happen with the movement of the shutter curtains. They move too fast. They open, wait until it's time and then they close. They do not travel slowly across the frame. The travel time is in milliseconds.
    edited December 2023 gatorguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 46
    Alex_VAlex_V Posts: 225member
    leicaman said:
    Alex_V said:
    SL356 said:
    Actually, no, this would not happen with a 35mm camera. She would have to be the Flash to move fast enough for this to happen with the movement of the shutter curtains. They move too fast. They open, wait until it's time and then they close. They do not travel slowly across the frame. The travel time is in milliseconds.
    This example was probably a panorama stitched by iPhone. And, you are right, a modern SLR shutter would be too fast. Still, a SLR focal plane shutter always has a difference between the time that one edge of the frame is exposed to that of the opposite edge. However, in most photographs, we don't notice. It is rare to see evidence of it, the most obvious examples are the oblique racing cars. The travel time may be measured in milliseconds, but with enough milliseconds a rapid movement will result in this effect. I have heard of this happening when a portrait subject moves their eyes from left to right as the frame is exposed. The result is one eye looking left, one looking right.  — nikonman

StrangeDays said:
    nah it’s just accidental panorama. there are only two poses - left and right, stitched in the middle. the clerk likely used it by accident (done the same myself). the original photo is horizontally wide like a short pano. 

the two halves of the pano:

left:

and right:
    Agreed!
    edited December 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 46
    Capturing multiple instances of a single subject using Panorama Mode was one of the first gags created when the feature arrived years ago. Hasn't everyone taken a group Pano with members of the group running around behind the photographer to join in the Pano further along the sweep of the camera?
  • Reply 37 of 46
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,677member
    Discussion Over:  it’s a pano shot

https://apple.news/A9yDOLJnaOg-zz10Um7Ry3w

https://daringfireball.net/linked/2023/12/02/maybe-it-was-a-pano

Super easy to fake with a cropped pano. 

The simplest explanation is the most likely one.  
    edited December 2023
  • Reply 38 of 46
    HonkersHonkers Posts: 156member
    eriamjh said:
    Discussion Over:  it’s a pano shot

https://apple.news/A9yDOLJnaOg-zz10Um7Ry3w

https://daringfireball.net/linked/2023/12/02/maybe-it-was-a-pano

Super easy to fake with a cropped pano. 

The simplest explanation is the most likely one.  
    Not sure why you'\re linking to Gruber rather than the actual explanation: https://www.threads.net/@ayfondo/post/C0VzJWCuwnU

Regardless, one person's speculation does not equal discussion over.
  • Reply 39 of 46
    All right, curiosity is killing me now – how is this post ranking in terms of comments? It has stayed at the top of the story list on the iOS app. What’s the number of comments for the most commented story ever on AppleInsider?
    edited December 2023
  • Reply 40 of 46
    I wonder if it isn’t the article that’s reality-bending. 
    Where’s the evidence and prof? Until the o call BS and say I can do this with a pano shot.