A bride-to-be discovers a reality-bending mistake in Apple's computational photography

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    HonkersHonkers Posts: 156member
    I wonder if it isn’t the article that’s reality-bending. 
    Where’s the evidence and prof? Until the o call BS and say I can do this with a pano shot. 
    Instagram posts don't normally come with detailed evidence or "prof".

It's just a giggle.  Believe it or don't believe it, it doesn't really matter.
  • Reply 42 of 46
    Does the camera save the raw image data?
  • Reply 43 of 46
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,776member
    gatorguy said:
    Alex_V said:
    SL356 said:
    Sorry folks. This is totally fake. No way 'computational photography' produced this. 
    I know what you mean. It doesn't need computational photography to occur. This effect can happen on a 35mm film SRL with a horizontal focal plane shutter: if the subject moves as the shutter is travelling horizontally across to expose the film. I believe the iPhone has a rolling shutter — same thing.
    While it does have a rolling shutter, you could not slow the shutter speed enough and still avoid blurring and distortion to produce such disparate images in a single photo. IMO this is purely due to computational photography combining the best parts of several images captured from a single shutter press. Typical rolling shutter from an SLR or ILC does not produce this effect in a single photo. 

Sidenote: A reminder that what we see from our smartphone cameras may not always accurately present the scene. Sony and Leica, along with the other camera manufacturers following soon, specifically include markers to authenticate photos as being unadulterated, and for very good reasons. 
    Panos can be done quite slowly so a significant time difference can occur, it's not a single shutter shot as such, probably more akin to video with the computational side being about selecting frames.
  • Reply 44 of 46
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,345member
    MacPro said:
    gatorguy said:
    Alex_V said:
    SL356 said:
    Sorry folks. This is totally fake. No way 'computational photography' produced this. 
    I know what you mean. It doesn't need computational photography to occur. This effect can happen on a 35mm film SRL with a horizontal focal plane shutter: if the subject moves as the shutter is travelling horizontally across to expose the film. I believe the iPhone has a rolling shutter — same thing.
    While it does have a rolling shutter, you could not slow the shutter speed enough and still avoid blurring and distortion to produce such disparate images in a single photo. IMO this is purely due to computational photography combining the best parts of several images captured from a single shutter press. Typical rolling shutter from an SLR or ILC does not produce this effect in a single photo. 

Sidenote: A reminder that what we see from our smartphone cameras may not always accurately present the scene. Sony and Leica, along with the other camera manufacturers following soon, specifically include markers to authenticate photos as being unadulterated, and for very good reasons. 
    Panos can be done quite slowly so a significant time difference can occur, it's not a single shutter shot as such, probably more akin to video with the computational side being about selecting frames.
    I agree with you. 
  • Reply 45 of 46
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,020member
    opinion said:
    I wish Apple could give us the option to turn computational photography off.
    Depends on the phone but many phones do. Shoot in RAW. 
    muthuk_vanalingam