Apple shows off next generation CarPlay in Porsche and Aston Martin cars

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,965member
    avon b7 said:
    bluefire1 said:
    What about the 99% of us that don’t have that kind of money?
    We get 16 bit greyscale but it's going to be snappy!  ;)

I would imagine (just like with the Vision Pro) that this is aimed at a small market segment to iron out wrinkles and try different options first and roll out to other models later. 

It's also possible that CarPlay with more tentacles digging into the vehicle is proving a hard sell. 
    Not a hard sell when it’s not invading anything. It’s just send/receive. 

Probably a relief. Driver has an issue/question? Send them over to apple customer support. Nice. 

Not only that, but with more and more vehicles being software driven - even major functions, automakers are challenged by the difficulty in creating truly secure/reliable systems - see the GM/edmunds review. With CarPlay, they’d get top notch, reliable, secure, aesthetic software from the #1 trusted company that has proven itself to be the best at global scale over and over - with install bases the automakers can only dream of and will never attain. 

And this is the fallacy of GM and others forgoing CarPlay. They aren’t software companies. They make cars. And sometimes even their cars aren’t great. The software is an add on. And it looks and feels like it. With apple, they live and breath soctware. It’s better to contract with them. People already love their iOS experience. They will love that part of your car. Force them into your wannabe version and most people either hate it or put up with it. Why not turn that anspect of the car your trying to sell into a plus? 
    At the moment CarPlay is just an extension of the iPhone that reaches into the car system. That is why CarPlay is often referred to as an 'infotainment' system. 

It can't open cardoor windows or sunroofs, manage air-conditioning or dig deep into the car's onboard systems.

Apple would like to change that but it doesn't make cars so it has no option to work with other manufacturers and try and persuade them to jump onboard to control those features.

That's a hard sell because car manufacturers don't want to see the tail end up wagging the dog. 

Apple doesn't offer anything beyond software and given the state of development across all of Apple's software branches you definitely wouldn't want anything from Apple having control of the car's non-phone functionality, and much less, it's core, critical functionality.

If Apple were offering a swathe of technologies destined for the car industry (AR-HUDS , LiDAR, 5G, ADS, Mini-Data Centers, containers/virtualisation, battery tech, digital powertrains etc then it might be different, but that isn't the case.

The opposite is true. Manufacturers rightly think that Apple is negotiating (or has already negotiated)  a deal with a competitor which will ultimately produce an Apple Car of some sort.

If your current car system is using CarPlay and with improved functionality, you are effectively setting your customers up for an experience that will be replicated and even enhanced on a future Apple car.

Do you really want to see customers primed on your cars for a switch to an Apple Car? And then there is the risk that (once the technological aspect has weighed in Apple’s favour) Apple pull the rug from under your feet, start wanting a cut of any revenues or some other financial 'control'.

CarPlay and Android Auto are currently well behind some competitors that have chosen to offer a fuller integrated experience. 

This article is now quite old but is a good example of where Apple would definitely like to be. Since then of course, the system has expanded to include much more hardware (including all the self driving aspects). 

https://www.gsmarena.com/aito_m5_harmonyos_system_quick_review-news-54285.php
    9secondkox2ForumPostMplsP
  • Reply 22 of 43
    Dang. Looks awesome. Especially dig the Aston Martin example. 

Was looking at an X5, but may have to go for one of these bad boys instead.
    If you were looking at an X5, I'm not sure an AM is in your price range.

LOL. Found the old, jealous person. 

Has nothing to do with price range. More to do with driving. Was really into the amg g63. Then I drove it. I actually like the Audi qrs8 better than the Mercedes in terms of driving. But the x5 is just the right size, has the look I like, and handles pretty great. To be clear, I’m talking x5 M competition. I bought my gf her dream car, the z4 m40i, and that’s an impressive little car. But I’m an SUV guy. 

The Aston dbx is definitely more expensive, but not a reach (though it gets into less than comfortable territory) I’ve just never been that into Aston. But a full on Apple takeover? That may be worth the price difference. Only know after a drive. 

Also, for sake of signs of intelligent life, both Porsche and Aston were mentioned as far as possibilities go. But I liked the Aston screenshot better. Not a fan of the cheap looking grid background on the Porsche screenshot (though I imagine it’s changeable). 

:)
    🙄
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 23 of 43
    Electric Porsche 918 - Boxster/Cayman probably? Interesting development. 
    It's been known for a while now that the next gen (718) Cayman/Boxster would be an EV, so yes.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a43576930/2025-porsche-718-cayman-boxster/
    iqatedoForumPostwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 43
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,266member

Glad some companies recognize that consumer choice is the way to go. 

Buh bye, GM! 
    Both companies made the right choice Apple is the only choice long term for Porsche/Volkswagen, Google just doesn't do hardware/software iteration well. In fact they suck at it. If Porsche and Aston Martin play their right maybe they can learn something on the tech side going forward, because they need to raise their game on the in cabin software side.

Some Androids will pipe up just good enough is okay but it's not.
    edited December 2023 9secondkox2ForumPostwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 43
    It's been known for a while now that the next gen (718) Cayman/Boxster would be an EV, so yes.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a43576930/2025-porsche-718-cayman-boxster/
    Good luck with the battery.....
    ForumPostwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 43

If you were looking at an X5, I'm not sure an AM is in your price range.

LOL. Found the old, jealous person. 

Has nothing to do with price range. More to do with driving. Was really into the amg g63. Then I drove it. I actually like the Audi qrs8 better than the Mercedes in terms of driving. But the x5 is just the right size, has the look I like, and handles pretty great. To be clear, I’m talking x5 M competition. I bought my gf her dream car, the z4 m40i, and that’s an impressive little car. But I’m an SUV guy. 

The Aston dbx is definitely more expensive, but not a reach (though it gets into less than comfortable territory) I’ve just never been that into Aston. But a full on Apple takeover? That may be worth the price difference. Only know after a drive. 

Also, for sake of signs of intelligent life, both Porsche and Aston were mentioned as far as possibilities go. But I liked the Aston screenshot better. Not a fan of the cheap looking grid background on the Porsche screenshot (though I imagine it’s changeable). 

:)
    🙄
    The GT3 console is better porsche gt3 instrument console 2023
    9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 43
    danox said:

Buh bye, GM! 
    Both companies made the right choice Apple is the only choice long term for Porsche/Volkswagen, Google just doesn't do hardware/software iteration well. In fact they suck at it.

Some will pipe up just good enough is okay but it's not.
    The CE space is a kind of comfort zone where responsibilities (especially longer term responsibilities) can change on a whim.

Google has some seriously good self developed hardware/software integration which its services run on. And it has to store, protect and manage data for years providing long term solutions to government and enterprise along with consumers. 

The same applies to Meta, Amazon, Microsoft, Huawei etc.

Microsoft and Meta laid a 5,000KM long fibre optic cable across the ocean floor because data is everything to those companies but it takes hardware and software solutions to make it all work. 

I've actually seen some of Google's caged, off-limits, lights off hardware with access seriously restricted to Google personnel.

AI plays an everincreasing role in managing networks and server hardware, covering fault diagnosis, ADS, intrusion etc.

Nothing points to Google sucking at anything considered critical. 
    edited December 2023 9secondkox2
  • Reply 28 of 43
    Maybe the upcoming Macan EV?
    ForumPostwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 43
    M68000 said:
    Very very cool.  This solidifies my reasoning to never buy (or rent if I can help it) a car without CarPlay support.

I wonder if Apple is letting, or going to let, automakers have a CarPlay OS (or maybe part of it) to run on their automotive computers.  Might help with all the displays since CarPlay is getting so extensive in the vehicle.
    Lol,  we completely disagree, carplay or any other infotainment system is the last reason to decide on a vehicle. It’s absolutely not important. I already have an iphone, i don’t need or want my car to be an iphone LOL. There are things about cars that are much more important than supporting a cellphone.  You don’t understand that.  But okay, it is what it is.
    This.
    Infotainment isn't even on my list of needs.

I love driving.
    I love riding. 
    I throw my phone in the glovebox or tank bag when i turn the ignition. 

If i was monotonously commuting and/or saw vehicles as an appliance, my order of needs may be different. 
  • Reply 30 of 43
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,059member
    chasm said:
    Toortog said:
    After a couple weeks I switched over to Apple CarPlay and that only lasted for a few weeks.   I noticed it was a of stuff I didn't use, but then I started noticing my battery was draining much faster and my data usage on my cell phone went sky high.  What in the hell is Apple doing in the background that is draining the battery and consuming bandwidth with my cell provider.    
    Sounds like you may be using Wireless CarPlay. The vehicle I have (a Ford) has USB ports that I use for CarPlay, which also keep the phone charged. Haven’t noticed any substantial cell use apart from when I’m streaming music/podcasts, possibly the fact that yours is wireless means it relies on data more.
    Yes, definitely must be using wireless CarPlay without a wireless charging pad in the car. As for the data use... well, first, I can't remember the last time I heard of anyone whose mobile plan didn't have unlimited data. Those plans are plentiful and cheap these days--and you don't need unlimited 5G data speeds, either. Regularly streaming music through CarPlay is about the only thing I can think of that would rack up a lot of data. Of course, if you're happy with AM/FM/Sirius XM and don't mind your car's navigation system, then maybe CarPlay isn't a need for you. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 43
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,059member

M68000 said:
    Very very cool.  This solidifies my reasoning to never buy (or rent if I can help it) a car without CarPlay support.

I wonder if Apple is letting, or going to let, automakers have a CarPlay OS (or maybe part of it) to run on their automotive computers.  Might help with all the displays since CarPlay is getting so extensive in the vehicle.
    Lol,  we completely disagree, carplay or any other infotainment system is the last reason to decide on a vehicle. It’s absolutely not important. I already have an iphone, i don’t need or want my car to be an iphone LOL. There are things about cars that are much more important than supporting a cellphone.  You don’t understand that.  But okay, it is what it is.
    I have to ask: why the need for the personal, "You don't understand that" attack on Jeff because he thinks CarPlay is a priority and you don't? Everything you say about its lack of importance can be totally true for you and not true at all for someone else. I used to lease a Lexus 450h every three years for almost a decade and generally loved the car but switched brands because Toyota/Lexus stubborning refused to support CarPlay for years (now they do because of customer demand)... AND their homegrown infotainment/navi system absolutely sucked. 
    watto_cobraMplsP
  • Reply 32 of 43
    That may be the first ever reliable piece of equipment on these overpriced turds for suckers with too much money burning a hole in their pockets. Will be nice to see this on Toyotas.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 43
    M68000 said:
    Well, reliability comes first, obviously. You can slap on a 17” CarPlay display on a Range Rover or a Dodge and I’ll still laugh at you. But I will not get a Toyota or Honda trim level that does not offer wireless CarPlay. And any car without CarPlay is an absolute non-starter for me.
    watto_cobraMplsP
  • Reply 34 of 43

Buh bye, GM! 
    BMW aren't adopting the new Car Play, which will certainly mean my new car won't be a BMW when I replace my 540
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 43
    avon b7 said:
    danox said:

Buh bye, GM! 
    Both companies made the right choice Apple is the only choice long term for Porsche/Volkswagen, Google just doesn't do hardware/software iteration well. In fact they suck at it.

Some will pipe up just good enough is okay but it's not.
    The CE space is a kind of comfort zone where responsibilities (especially longer term responsibilities) can change on a whim.

Google has some seriously good self developed hardware/software integration which its services run on. And it has to store, protect and manage data for years providing long term solutions to government and enterprise along with consumers. 

The same applies to Meta, Amazon, Microsoft, Huawei etc.

Microsoft and Meta laid a 5,000KM long fibre optic cable across the ocean floor because data is everything to those companies but it takes hardware and software solutions to make it all work. 

I've actually seen some of Google's caged, off-limits, lights off hardware with access seriously restricted to Google personnel.

AI plays an everincreasing role in managing networks and server hardware, covering fault diagnosis, ADS, intrusion etc.

Nothing points to Google sucking at anything considered critical. 
    The  Pixel Tensor sucks (5 years off the pace) and that modem attached to it also sucks.....(a flagship phone?)

In fact Google lack of focus outside search/ads isn't good?
  • Reply 36 of 43
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,134member
    M68000 said:
    Well, reliability comes first, obviously. You can slap on a 17” CarPlay display on a Range Rover or a Dodge and I’ll still laugh at you. But I will not get a Toyota or Honda trim level that does not offer wireless CarPlay. And any car without CarPlay is an absolute non-starter for me.
    There’s a lot to be said for having navigation, music, podcasts, etc. on your phone and for that to come up on the screen in your car, with the phone and voice control of text messaging all right there, without having to stick your phone on the dash or an air vent. 

Car manufacturers’ in-house navigation and on-screen systems have historically been universally bad and ineffectively updated/maintained, and as such don’t properly integrate with current phone tech. This is problematic, because the life-cycle of a car is generally much longer than that of a cell phone. 

Also, car manufacturers haven’t historically worked with the relatively new tech-world business model of providing not just remedial patches for already-sold inventory, but actual ongoing enhancements and improvements for “free” for the normal life cycle of the hardware. (For those with short memories, this wasn’t really a thing until Apple introduced iOS. Before that, operating system updates for existing devices were a pricey purchase.)

This gets more complicated as car manufacturers look to the coming EV switchover, with electronic controls and monitoring becoming more important to the cars themselves. 

Some, like GM and Tesla, look to be leaning way into the customer data-mining business model, which requires in-house software or exclusive deals with Google. That’s a big gamble, however, with a huge downside risk for data breach scandals to potentially negatively impact sales of entire automotive brands. 

Apple’s enhanced CarPlay model may be inviting for that reason, as it appears to have a standard for car instrument data to port to the iPhone which then integrates it within CarPlay displays. This leaves customer data security to Apple, which is heavily invested in being the company that keeps data secure, in part because it doesn’t rely on selling user data for income. It also allows car makers to steer clear of having to issue enhancements and new features for “free” on sold inventory. 

The downside to all that is of course the looming threat of Apple entering the market with a competing vehicle. 

All this suggests near-term volatility as car makers flounder around, trying to guess what will happen next. 

Seems like the best bet for car manufacturers would be to allow at least sandboxed standard CarPlay functionality, while keeping other options open. 

Something like CarPlay probably shouldn't be a final reason for choosing a car, but it’s a reality that for a nonzero (and probably significant) number of customers, that option is a decision filter for which showrooms to even visit. 
  • Reply 37 of 43
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,997member
    avon b7 said:
    bluefire1 said:

I would imagine (just like with the Vision Pro) that this is aimed at a small market segment to iron out wrinkles and try different options first and roll out to other models later. 

It's also possible that CarPlay with more tentacles digging into the vehicle is proving a hard sell. 

Probably a relief. Driver has an issue/question? Send them over to apple customer support. Nice. 

Not only that, but with more and more vehicles being software driven - even major functions, automakers are challenged by the difficulty in creating truly secure/reliable systems - see the GM/edmunds review. With CarPlay, they’d get top notch, reliable, secure, aesthetic software from the #1 trusted company that has proven itself to be the best at global scale over and over - with install bases the automakers can only dream of and will never attain. 

And this is the fallacy of GM and others forgoing CarPlay. They aren’t software companies. They make cars. And sometimes even their cars aren’t great. The software is an add on. And it looks and feels like it. With apple, they live and breath soctware. It’s better to contract with them. People already love their iOS experience. They will love that part of your car. Force them into your wannabe version and most people either hate it or put up with it. Why not turn that anspect of the car you're trying to sell into a plus? 
    from a manufacturer perspective traditional CarPlay is nothing more that an external touchscreen display and speakers for the iPhone. The new version of CarPlay will need to access data from the car's computer (speed, temps, etc) and be able to control aspects of the car's function (e.g. HVAC features.) That's much more invasive and also comes with potential safety and security concerns, so yeah, I can see it being a harder sell.

The other issues is that it allows Apple much more input into the actual driving experience. It's one thing to have a display off to the side showing your map and podcasts but the dashboard display, speedometer, etc are a far bigger part of the driving experience and I can definitely say that it matters. I imagine that in this area Apple will work with the manufacturers rather than just taking over the display like it does for infotainment.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    MplsP said:
    avon b7 said:
    bluefire1 said:

And this is the fallacy of GM and others forgoing CarPlay. They aren’t software companies. They make cars. And sometimes even their cars aren’t great. The software is an add on. And it looks and feels like it. With apple, they live and breath soctware. It’s better to contract with them. People already love their iOS experience. They will love that part of your car. Force them into your wannabe version and most people either hate it or put up with it. Why not turn that anspect of the car you're trying to sell into a plus? 
    from a manufacturer perspective traditional CarPlay is nothing more that an external touchscreen display and speakers for the iPhone. The new version of CarPlay will need to access data from the car's computer (speed, temps, etc) and be able to control aspects of the car's function (e.g. HVAC features.) That's much more invasive and also comes with potential safety and security concerns, so yeah, I can see it being a harder sell.

The other issues is that it allows Apple much more input into the actual driving experience. It's one thing to have a display off to the side showing your map and podcasts but the dashboard display, speedometer, etc are a far bigger part of the driving experience and I can definitely say that it matters. I imagine that in this area Apple will work with the manufacturers rather than just taking over the display like it does for infotainment.
    And to make matters worse for Apple (in China at least) I just sat through today's one and a half hour presentation of the AITO M9. 

If the bar was already set high, it just flew up several more notches. 

Apple won't be able to get close to it without a major deal with a manufacturer or releasing its own car. 

The entire software stack (running HarmonyOS) digs deep into every nook and cranny of the car. 

From the XPIXEL Smart Headlighting system to the HiFin wireless system, the audio system, a massive 75inch AR-HUD (xHUD), ADS 2.0, 4D imaging, charging, all the screens (one of them 32 inches) etc.

I can't see it ever reaching the US but if they bring it to Europe the EU luxury SUV brands will be in trouble. It looks like this car is already poised to take a bite out of Mercedes in China. 

• Reply 39 of 43
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    avon b7 said:
    MplsP said:
    avon b7 said:
    bluefire1 said:

And to make matters worse for Apple (in China at least) I just sat through today's one and a half hour presentation of the AITO M9. 

Apple won't be able to get close to it without a major deal with a manufacturer or releasing its own car. 

The entire software stack (running HarmonyOS) digs deep into every nook and cranny of the car. 

From the XPIXEL Smart Headlighting system to the HiFin wireless system, the audio system, a massive 75inch AR-HUD (xHUD), ADS 2.0, 4D imaging, charging, all the screens (one of them 32 inches) etc.

I can't see it ever reaching the US but if they bring it to Europe the EU luxury SUV brands will be in trouble. It looks like this car is already poised to take a bite out of Mercedes in China. 

...and to make matters worse for Apple (in China at least)...

You missed the Elephant in the room...

Could things be any worse for Apple in China than China's economic crisis?  

https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-economy/article/3246222/chinas-middle-class-does-not-dare-spend-until-post-covid-economy-shows-clear-signs-recovery

Xi is destroying China's economic future, and it isn't like I haven't given you notification that the EU isn't going to roll over for massive imbalances of trade with China.
    edited December 2023
  • Reply 40 of 43
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    MplsP said:
    avon b7 said:
    bluefire1 said:

...and to make matters worse for Apple (in China at least)...

You missed the Elephant in the room...

Could things be any worse for Apple in China than China's economic crisis?  

https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-economy/article/3246222/chinas-middle-class-does-not-dare-spend-until-post-covid-economy-shows-clear-signs-recovery

Xi is destroying China's economic future, and it isn't like I haven't given you notification that the EU isn't going to roll over for massive imbalances of trade with China.
    And what did any of that have to do with technology? 

M9:

"Huawei-backed Aito targets 600,000 sales in 2024" 

"Yesterday, Aito officially launched the M9, available in EREV and BEV versions. The flagship SUV has garnered 54,000 pre-orders since pre-sales began on September 25, said Richard Yu, Huawei's head of automotive business, at the model's launch." 

https://cnevpost.com/2023/12/27/aito-targets-600000-sales-2024/

M9 summary:

https://www.thetechoutlook.com/news/new-release/auto/huawei-aito-m9-panoramic-smart-flagship-suv-introduced-in-china-price-starting-at-cny-469800/amp/

CarPlay will need a willing partner and a major upgrade to compete. 

M7:

Huawei’s EV brand Aito hits sales jackpot with new SUV, will compensate buyers for delivery delays in sizzling market

Chinese buyers ordered 60,000 M7s in a month, underlining the strong demand for domestic EVs in the sizzling market long dominated by Tesla"

https://www.scmp.com/business/china-business/article/3238274/huaweis-ev-brand-aito-hits-sales-jackpot-new-suv-will-compensate-buyers-delivery-delays-sizzling

In an economic downturn, the car industry is usually one of the first indicators but cars still get sold. 

As EVs convert cars into batteries on wheels, what gives them added value is the user facing technologies (like the ones I mentioned). 

In a downturn, those are the cars with the best cards. 
    edited December 2023