• Reply 41 of 43
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    MplsP said:
    avon b7 said:
    bluefire1 said:
    What about the 99% of us that don’t have that kind of money?
    We get 16 bit greyscale but it's going to be snappy!  ;)

I would imagine (just like with the Vision Pro) that this is aimed at a small market segment to iron out wrinkles and try different options first and roll out to other models later. 

It's also possible that CarPlay with more tentacles digging into the vehicle is proving a hard sell. 
    Not a hard sell when it’s not invading anything. It’s just send/receive. 

Probably a relief. Driver has an issue/question? Send them over to apple customer support. Nice. 

Not only that, but with more and more vehicles being software driven - even major functions, automakers are challenged by the difficulty in creating truly secure/reliable systems - see the GM/edmunds review. With CarPlay, they’d get top notch, reliable, secure, aesthetic software from the #1 trusted company that has proven itself to be the best at global scale over and over - with install bases the automakers can only dream of and will never attain. 

And this is the fallacy of GM and others forgoing CarPlay. They aren’t software companies. They make cars. And sometimes even their cars aren’t great. The software is an add on. And it looks and feels like it. With apple, they live and breath soctware. It’s better to contract with them. People already love their iOS experience. They will love that part of your car. Force them into your wannabe version and most people either hate it or put up with it. Why not turn that anspect of the car you're trying to sell into a plus? 
    from a manufacturer perspective traditional CarPlay is nothing more that an external touchscreen display and speakers for the iPhone. The new version of CarPlay will need to access data from the car's computer (speed, temps, etc) and be able to control aspects of the car's function (e.g. HVAC features.) That's much more invasive and also comes with potential safety and security concerns, so yeah, I can see it being a harder sell.

The other issues is that it allows Apple much more input into the actual driving experience. It's one thing to have a display off to the side showing your map and podcasts but the dashboard display, speedometer, etc are a far bigger part of the driving experience and I can definitely say that it matters. I imagine that in this area Apple will work with the manufacturers rather than just taking over the display like it does for infotainment.
    And to make matters worse for Apple (in China at least) I just sat through today's one and a half hour presentation of the AITO M9. 

If the bar was already set high, it just flew up several more notches. 

Apple won't be able to get close to it without a major deal with a manufacturer or releasing its own car. 

The entire software stack (running HarmonyOS) digs deep into every nook and cranny of the car. 

From the XPIXEL Smart Headlighting system to the HiFin wireless system, the audio system, a massive 75inch AR-HUD (xHUD), ADS 2.0, 4D imaging, charging, all the screens (one of them 32 inches) etc.

I can't see it ever reaching the US but if they bring it to Europe the EU luxury SUV brands will be in trouble. It looks like this car is already poised to take a bite out of Mercedes in China. 

...and to make matters worse for Apple (in China at least)...

You missed the Elephant in the room...

Could things be any worse for Apple in China than China's economic crisis?  

https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-economy/article/3246222/chinas-middle-class-does-not-dare-spend-until-post-covid-economy-shows-clear-signs-recovery

Xi is destroying China's economic future, and it isn't like I haven't given you notification that the EU isn't going to roll over for massive imbalances of trade with China.
    And what did any of that have to do with technology? 

M9:

"Huawei-backed Aito targets 600,000 sales in 2024" 

"Yesterday, Aito officially launched the M9, available in EREV and BEV versions. The flagship SUV has garnered 54,000 pre-orders since pre-sales began on September 25, said Richard Yu, Huawei's head of automotive business, at the model's launch." 

https://cnevpost.com/2023/12/27/aito-targets-600000-sales-2024/

M9 summary:

https://www.thetechoutlook.com/news/new-release/auto/huawei-aito-m9-panoramic-smart-flagship-suv-introduced-in-china-price-starting-at-cny-469800/amp/

CarPlay will need a willing partner and a major upgrade to compete. 

M7:

Huawei’s EV brand Aito hits sales jackpot with new SUV, will compensate buyers for delivery delays in sizzling market

Chinese buyers ordered 60,000 M7s in a month, underlining the strong demand for domestic EVs in the sizzling market long dominated by Tesla"

https://www.scmp.com/business/china-business/article/3238274/huaweis-ev-brand-aito-hits-sales-jackpot-new-suv-will-compensate-buyers-delivery-delays-sizzling

In an economic downturn, the car industry is usually one of the first indicators but cars still get sold. 

As EVs convert cars into batteries on wheels, what gives them added value is the user facing technologies (like the ones I mentioned). 

In a downturn, those are the cars with the best cards. 
    Completely missing is the fact that it is BYD that in 2023 surpassed Tesla in WW sales, at over 2 Million, that is building a plant in Hungary to serve the EU, and has been granted permission in China to test Level 3 autonomous driving, as have a few other companies, including BMW:

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/byd-has-obtained-conditional-testing-license-level-3-autonomous-driving-high-2023-12-27/

It's wonderful that you hype Huawei's connection to EV manufacture, but they are really a minor player; maybe that will change, maybe not.

In a downturn, Automotive companies lose money, or at best, maintain poor margins, which is the case today. It's not exactly a great business.
  • Reply 42 of 43
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,965member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    MplsP said:
    avon b7 said:
    bluefire1 said:

I would imagine (just like with the Vision Pro) that this is aimed at a small market segment to iron out wrinkles and try different options first and roll out to other models later. 

It's also possible that CarPlay with more tentacles digging into the vehicle is proving a hard sell. 

Probably a relief. Driver has an issue/question? Send them over to apple customer support. Nice. 

Not only that, but with more and more vehicles being software driven - even major functions, automakers are challenged by the difficulty in creating truly secure/reliable systems - see the GM/edmunds review. With CarPlay, they’d get top notch, reliable, secure, aesthetic software from the #1 trusted company that has proven itself to be the best at global scale over and over - with install bases the automakers can only dream of and will never attain. 

And this is the fallacy of GM and others forgoing CarPlay. They aren’t software companies. They make cars. And sometimes even their cars aren’t great. The software is an add on. And it looks and feels like it. With apple, they live and breath soctware. It’s better to contract with them. People already love their iOS experience. They will love that part of your car. Force them into your wannabe version and most people either hate it or put up with it. Why not turn that anspect of the car you're trying to sell into a plus? 
    from a manufacturer perspective traditional CarPlay is nothing more that an external touchscreen display and speakers for the iPhone. The new version of CarPlay will need to access data from the car's computer (speed, temps, etc) and be able to control aspects of the car's function (e.g. HVAC features.) That's much more invasive and also comes with potential safety and security concerns, so yeah, I can see it being a harder sell.

The other issues is that it allows Apple much more input into the actual driving experience. It's one thing to have a display off to the side showing your map and podcasts but the dashboard display, speedometer, etc are a far bigger part of the driving experience and I can definitely say that it matters. I imagine that in this area Apple will work with the manufacturers rather than just taking over the display like it does for infotainment.
    And to make matters worse for Apple (in China at least) I just sat through today's one and a half hour presentation of the AITO M9. 

Apple won't be able to get close to it without a major deal with a manufacturer or releasing its own car. 

The entire software stack (running HarmonyOS) digs deep into every nook and cranny of the car. 

From the XPIXEL Smart Headlighting system to the HiFin wireless system, the audio system, a massive 75inch AR-HUD (xHUD), ADS 2.0, 4D imaging, charging, all the screens (one of them 32 inches) etc.

I can't see it ever reaching the US but if they bring it to Europe the EU luxury SUV brands will be in trouble. It looks like this car is already poised to take a bite out of Mercedes in China. 

https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-economy/article/3246222/chinas-middle-class-does-not-dare-spend-until-post-covid-economy-shows-clear-signs-recovery

Xi is destroying China's economic future, and it isn't like I haven't given you notification that the EU isn't going to roll over for massive imbalances of trade with China.

M9:

"Yesterday, Aito officially launched the M9, available in EREV and BEV versions. The flagship SUV has garnered 54,000 pre-orders since pre-sales began on September 25, said Richard Yu, Huawei's head of automotive business, at the model's launch." 

M9 summary:

https://www.thetechoutlook.com/news/new-release/auto/huawei-aito-m9-panoramic-smart-flagship-suv-introduced-in-china-price-starting-at-cny-469800/amp/

M7:

Huawei’s EV brand Aito hits sales jackpot with new SUV, will compensate buyers for delivery delays in sizzling market

Chinese buyers ordered 60,000 M7s in a month, underlining the strong demand for domestic EVs in the sizzling market long dominated by Tesla"

https://www.scmp.com/business/china-business/article/3238274/huaweis-ev-brand-aito-hits-sales-jackpot-new-suv-will-compensate-buyers-delivery-delays-sizzling

In an economic downturn, the car industry is usually one of the first indicators but cars still get sold. 

As EVs convert cars into batteries on wheels, what gives them added value is the user facing technologies (like the ones I mentioned). 

Completely missing is the fact that it is BYD that in 2023 surpassed Tesla in WW sales, at over 2 Million, that is building a plant in Hungary to serve the EU, and has been granted permission in China to test Level 3 autonomous driving, as have a few other companies, including BMW:

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/byd-has-obtained-conditional-testing-license-level-3-autonomous-driving-high-2023-12-27/

It's wonderful that you hype Huawei's connection to EV manufacture, but they are really a minor player; maybe that will change, maybe not.

In a downturn, Automotive companies lose money, or at best, maintain poor margins, which is the case today. It's not exactly a great business.
    It's ironic for you then that Huawei's first car collaboration with HiCar was a BYD vehicle! 

Also that Huawei is everywhere in BYD's back-end business. 

Also that its technology is not brand exclusive. There are now quite a few cars running HarmonyOS. 

And, wouldn't you know, rumours that VW (yes, Porsche) is interested:

https://www.ft.com/content/aec66be2-34c7-4e07-abbb-d9dbb510b732

As for missing the point, technology is the point!

How is CarPlay looking when compared to these Chinese systems? 
    edited December 2023
  • Reply 43 of 43
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    MplsP said:
    avon b7 said:
    bluefire1 said:

M9:

M9 summary:

M7:

It's ironic for you then that Huawei's first car collaboration with HiCar was a BYD vehicle! 

Also that Huawei is everywhere in BYD's back-end business. 

Also that its technology is not brand exclusive. There are now quite a few cars running HarmonyOS. 

And, wouldn't you know, rumours that VW (yes, Porsche) is interested:

https://www.ft.com/content/aec66be2-34c7-4e07-abbb-d9dbb510b732

As for missing the point, technology is the point!

How is CarPlay looking when compared to these Chinese systems? 
    I wish good luck on VW in China, or Porsche WW using HarmonyOS, given that it is a knowable risk to use technology from autocratic states. It is always going to end up a problem. 

https://www.politico.eu/article/chinas-paranoid-purge-xi-jinping-li-keqiang-qin-gang-li-shangfu/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=social

"China's Xi goes full Stalin with purge.

"In a sign of instability in Beijing’s top ranks, foreign policy and defense officials are vanishing as Xi roots out perceived enemies."

Yeah, that's a country that I can work with... /s
    edited December 2023