Apple halts sales of the Apple Watch Series 9, Apple Watch Ultra 2 in its online store ahe...

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited December 2023

As it promised, Apple no longer sells the Apple Watch Series 9 and Apple Watch Ultra via its online store in the US -- and time is running out to get them at brick and mortar Apple Stores, too.

Apple Watch Series 9 (left) and Apple Watch Ultra (right)
Apple Watch Series 9 (left) and Apple Watch Ultra (right)

Apple has suspended online sales of the Apple Watch Series 9 and Apple Watch Ultra 2 in the United States ahead of the upcoming import ban. The ban will go into full effect on December 25 thanks to a ruling by the International Trade Commission (ITC) in a patent infringement case involving med-tech company Masimo.

In the last 10 minutes, the Apple Watch page shifted from the Series 9 being on the top, to the Apple Watch SE. The Series 9 and Ultra parts of the page now say "currently unavailable."

While Apple has halted sales of the Apple Watch Series 9 and Apple Watch Ultra 2 in the US, it's important to note that other retailers, such as Walmart and Best Buy, are still allowed to sell any existing stock they hold even after the December 25 deadline. Additionally, the upcoming ban does not place any restrictions on resales.

In 2020, Masimo filed a lawsuit against Apple with the U.S. District Court. The lawsuit claimed that Apple had stolen trade secrets and violated patents with the blood pulse oximeter included in the Apple Watch. This was later followed up by a filing with the ITC in 2021.

While the District Court trial ended in a mistrial and didn't resume, the ITC ruled in favor of Masimo in January 2023.

If left uncontested, the Apple Watch import ban will theoretically last until the patent expires in August 2028.

The dispute has led to an import ban on models that feature the blood pulse oximeter, but other models, like the Apple Watch SE, will not be affected. While the import ban will start on Christmas day, Apple will end sales of the Apple Watch in brick-and-mortar Apple Stores on Christmas Eve -- December 24.

Apple had requested that the import ban on Apple Watch be delayed until the appeals can be processed. However, the US ITC has rejected that request.

Whether or not the ban will take a toll on Apple is a bit of a contentious subject. Some believe the ban could cause a loss of approximately $300-400 million in Apple's sales during the holiday season. However, this amount is comparatively small for Apple, considering the anticipated total sales of nearly $120 billion for the October-December quarter.

However, others are concerned that, if left unchecked, the ban could cause substantial problems for Apple in the 2024 fiscal year.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Complete BS.
    pslice
  • Reply 2 of 16
    FC49er said:
    Complete BS.
    Can you elaborate on that, please?

Are you saying that Masimo is a patent troll,
    or that their patent is invalid,
    or that the US ITC has erred,
    or that you planned to buy the watch but now had your xmas ruined,
    or that you own Apple stocks and are now biting your nails?

I’m having a hard problem understanding the definition of BS in this context.
    muthuk_vanalingamAlex1Nwatto_cobrapulseimagesNotSoMuchgrandact73
  • Reply 3 of 16
     Merry Christmas!!
    Alex1Npulseimages
  • Reply 4 of 16
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,318member
    So Masimo is not a patent troll, but the idea that they will make a health watch with the scale of Apple Watch is a ridiculous notion.

As a retired physician, so many of my patients and colleagues were using Apple Watch and specifically the pulse oximeter to monitor their health, especially my pulmonary patients with COPD & ILD.  And my father when he was in hospice.  It was critical for letting individuals know if they needed to seek medical help when they were in the throes of COVID in the beginning and middle of the pandemic as another example.

There is real harm to this.  I just hope at the end of the day this is just put through arbitration and if Apple is violating Masimo patents, there is a FRAND settlement so both companies can just get on with their lives.

Even if Masimo has aspirations to make a health watch, I guarantee you that Apple will be looking for an opportunity to counter sue for any thing that resembles an Apple Watch.

So yeah BS.
    edited December 2023 psliceStrangeDayswatto_cobrapulseimages
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,891administrator
    badmonk said:
    So Masimo is not a patent troll, but the idea that they will make a health watch with the scale of Apple Watch is a ridiculous notion.

As a retired physician, so many of my patients and colleagues were using Apple Watch and specifically the pulse oximeter to monitor their health, especially my pulmonary patients with COPD & ILD.  And my father when he was in hospice.  It was critical for letting individuals know if they needed to seek medical help when they were in the throes of COVID in the beginning and middle of the pandemic as another example.

There is real harm to this.  I just hope at the end of the day this is just put through arbitration and if Apple is violating Masimo patents, there is a FRAND settlement so both companies can just get on with their lives.

Even if Masimo has aspirations to make a health watch, I guarantee you that Apple will be looking for an opportunity to counter sue for any thing that resembles an Apple Watch.

So yeah BS.
    They already have, over Masimo's W1.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/22/10/21/apple-files-retaliatory-suits-against-firm-trying-to-ban-apple-watch
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 16
    pslicepslice Posts: 152member
    Apple needs to buy Masimo 
    watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Anybody else who’s surprised we actually reached that point, pls raise their hand. 

OTOH, this may be an indication that Apple is very convinced they ultimately prevail. And, wouldn’t  they be able to claim damages from lost sales etc , in that case?
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 16
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Anybody else who’s surprised we actually reached that point, pls raise their hand. 

OTOH, this may be an indication that Apple is very convinced they ultimately prevail. And, wouldn’t  they be able to claim damages from lost sales etc , in that case?
    I am surprised this actually came to pass. As far as I'm aware, this is unprecedented: Apple has never halted sales of a product before due to a legal ruling. They've always found a way around it, until now.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    This situation is quite interesting. It's a real-life, unscripted drama that nobody knows the end of.  All of these possibilities are in play:

* Biden signs the waiver of his own accord.
    * Apple influences Biden to sign the waiver (perhaps via a large campaign contribution now allowed in the wake of Citizens United.)
    * Apple redesigns the S9 and U2.
    * Apple abandons the S9 and U2 and is already hard at work bringing an S10 and U3 to market that don't violate Masimo's patents.
    * Apple successfully challenges the patents with the USTO.
    * Apple only sells the Watch SE until August 2028.
    * Apple buys Masimo (or a controlling stake).
    * Apple successfully gets Masimo's watch taken off the market, thereby giving them a bargaining chip to get their own back on the market.
    * Apple licenses Masimo's technology for an unreasonable price.
    * Apple initiates and wins a FRAND suit that forces Masimo to license the technology to Apple at a reasonable price.

Obviously some of these are far more likely than others, but you can't deny that nobody really knows what the outcome will be.
    edited December 2023 Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Honestly, given the history here, Apple deserves to lose this one. I did get myself an Ultra 2 prior to the ban, and quite like it. But seriously, from all the reports, Masimo initially negotiated with them in good faith for a potential deal, then Apple raided their employees and immediately filed patents covering technology that Masimo had in development or had already patented. Maybe Masimo's price for licensing was unreasonable and Apple didn't see another choice, but intellectual property law is what it is and Apple f'd over the wrong company. 
    MplsPwilliamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 16
    thttht Posts: 5,530member
    Honestly, given the history here, Apple deserves to lose this one. I did get myself an Ultra 2 prior to the ban, and quite like it. But seriously, from all the reports, Masimo initially negotiated with them in good faith for a potential deal, then Apple raided their employees and immediately filed patents covering technology that Masimo had in development or had already patented. Maybe Masimo's price for licensing was unreasonable and Apple didn't see another choice, but intellectual property law is what it is and Apple f'd over the wrong company. 
    I've seen this rationale from people and it is not a good take. 

What Apple did is your basic business practice for a large company trying to enter some market, or any company from startup to a century old business. They find some company to buy or merge with if they have the cash. If not, they build a team by hiring people. The experts in the field are at the incumbent companies. There is no other path a company can take if they want to do anything at speed.

I can do a quite negative take on Masimo's CEO. He is suggesting that Apple is stealing Masimo's property by hiring away its employees. That's basically indentured servitude, and I could go worse here, as the employees are absolutely free to get another job doing the same thing. Their engineering talent does not belong to Masimo and they really should take another job if those talents bring them opportunities.

Apple is absolutely doing the necessary and correct thing by hiring experts in the field to design and engineer some feature or product. This is not stealing. It's doing the right thing. You do not want them or any other company to do it any other way. I don't think there is any other way.

There is no such thing as "good faith" in business practices. You should really be skeptical of any takes that says Apple was going to buy Masimo in 2013 or 2014. They do not take on businesses that have little to do with their line of business, and that line of business isn't medical devices. There could have been anything from an IP deal to a component supply deal (skeptical of this), but Masimo itself and its product line? No way.

Like I said before. Nothing was stolen. Apple likely put more engineering work into the blood oxygen measurement parts of the Apple Watch than Masimo has in the past 20 years. It took them 6 years to get it into an Apple Watch. You could go out and buy a blood oxygen finger clamp for $20. You don't spend 6 years to add these measurement as these finger clamp ones have been available for a very long time now.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 16
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,965member
    badmonk said:

So yeah BS.
    Whether Massimo is making a smart watch is irrelevant. What’s relevant is Apple is using Massimo’s technology without their permission. 

As a retired physician you should have an idea about the different pulse oximeters and how some worked better. Should Nelcor be able to use Massimo’s tech in their machines just because your facility chose to buy Nelcor equipment?
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 13 of 16
    tht said:

What Apple did is your basic business practice for a large company trying to enter some market, or any company from startup to a century old business. They find some company to buy or merge with if they have the cash. If not, they build a team by hiring people. The experts in the field are at the incumbent companies. There is no other path a company can take if they want to do anything at speed.

I can do a quite negative take on Masimo's CEO. He is suggesting that Apple is stealing Masimo's property by hiring away its employees. That's basically indentured servitude, and I could go worse here, as the employees are absolutely free to get another job doing the same thing. Their engineering talent does not belong to Masimo and they really should take another job if those talents bring them opportunities.

Apple is absolutely doing the necessary and correct thing by hiring experts in the field to design and engineer some feature or product. This is not stealing. It's doing the right thing. You do not want them or any other company to do it any other way. I don't think there is any other way.

There is no such thing as "good faith" in business practices. You should really be skeptical of any takes that says Apple was going to buy Masimo in 2013 or 2014. They do not take on businesses that have little to do with their line of business, and that line of business isn't medical devices. There could have been anything from an IP deal to a component supply deal (skeptical of this), but Masimo itself and its product line? No way.

Like I said before. Nothing was stolen. Apple likely put more engineering work into the blood oxygen measurement parts of the Apple Watch than Masimo has in the past 20 years. It took them 6 years to get it into an Apple Watch. You could go out and buy a blood oxygen finger clamp for $20. You don't spend 6 years to add these measurement as these finger clamp ones have been available for a very long time now.
    You can try to justify Apple’s actions but when it comes down to it, you’re wrong. 

Poaching employees happens all the time and is generally legal within the confines of any agreements said employees may have agreed to. Stealing intellectual property is not legal. If the employees bring trade secrets that their former company owns with them then they are participating in intellectual property theft. This is an established fact of law, whether you agree or not and has be the basis if innumerable lawsuits in the past.

Good faith negotiations, while less clear cut, are also a defined concept. Whether you believe in them or not, the courts do.

Finally, “nothing was stolen?” You’re wrong here, too, and the courts have ruled.

You may disagree but you have to explain why you are more of an authority on the topic than the actual authorities.  
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 16
    thttht Posts: 5,530member
    MplsP said:
    tht said:

You can try to justify Apple’s actions but when it comes down to it, you’re wrong. 

Poaching employees happens all the time and is generally legal within the confines of any agreements said employees may have agreed to. Stealing intellectual property is not legal. If the employees bring trade secrets that their former company owns with them then they are participating in intellectual property theft. This is an established fact of law, whether you agree or not and has be the basis if innumerable lawsuits in the past.

Good faith negotiations, while less clear cut, are also a defined concept. Whether you believe in them or not, the courts do.

Finally, “nothing was stolen?” You’re wrong here, too, and the courts have ruled.

You may disagree but you have to explain why you are more of an authority on the topic than the actual authorities.  
    Oh, good we agree hiring employees is not stealing. Yes, trade secrets can be stolen. No disagreements there. 

There are separate court cases, before the ITC case, where Masimo accused Apple of infringing their patents. The initial Masimo vs Apple patent trial ended up in a hung jury, with the jury voting 6-1 for Apple and several claims being dismissed. It was a mistrial because it wasn't unanimous. Apple effectively won that as the result furthers the appeals process with more of an uphill case for Masimo. Apple believes they can invalidate the patents or say they don't violate them based on them. The appeals process is ongoing. 

The ITC must interpret violations of patents not whether it invalid or not, and as everyone should know, patents in modern times don't describe anything, don't reveal any actionable information, and are only useful as tools to sue other companies. Just read them. They don't say anything specific. The commission and the judges are all very well versed in this yes, but it's kind of like ruling based on crappy laws. They know the patent sucks, the whole process is built on a house of cards, but they will do it as it's their job.

And yes, these juries and judges are people just like you and I. We can determine if something is good or not just as well as they. The difference is they know the process and boundaries, but that judgement of a good or bad patent, our opinion is just as good as theirs. Likely better because we are not bound by direction and history. Heck, many of these infringement cases rely on juries. A literal pool of people filtered out from a semi-randomly chosen set of people.
    edited December 2023 williamlondon
  • Reply 15 of 16
    tht said:
    MplsP said:
    tht said:

Oh, good we agree hiring employees is not stealing. Yes, trade secrets can be stolen. No disagreements there. 

There are separate court cases, before the ITC case, where Masimo accused Apple of infringing their patents. The initial Masimo vs Apple patent trial ended up in a hung jury, with the jury voting 6-1 for Apple and several claims being dismissed. It was a mistrial because it wasn't unanimous. Apple effectively won that as the result furthers the appeals process with more of an uphill case for Masimo. Apple believes they can invalidate the patents or say they don't violate them based on them. The appeals process is ongoing. 

The ITC must interpret violations of patents not whether it invalid or not, and as everyone should know, patents in modern times don't describe anything, don't reveal any actionable information, and are only useful as tools to sue other companies. Just read them. They don't say anything specific. The commission and the judges are all very well versed in this yes, but it's kind of like ruling based on crappy laws. They know the patent sucks, the whole process is built on a house of cards, but they will do it as it's their job.

And yes, these juries and judges are people just like you and I. We can determine if something is good or not just as well as they. The difference is they know the process and boundaries, but that judgement of a good or bad patent, our opinion is just as good as theirs. Likely better because we are not bound by direction and history. Heck, many of these infringement cases rely on juries. A literal pool of people filtered out from a semi-randomly chosen set of people.
    Sigh. The patent is valid until it is ruled invalid, which it hasn't been. The ITC is enforcing a valid patent. Your arguments here amount to "patents are all useless mumbo jumbo so they shouldn't be enforced" and "Judges are people and I'm a person therefore I'm just as qualified or perhaps more qualified to render judgement." If I have to explain how ridiculous they are then there's no point in discussing further.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Interesting that with the import ban going into full effect in a few hours--it sure seems unlikely that the White House will stop it at this point--the Ultra 2 continues to be discounted pretty heavily at Amazon, at $749 plus a $19 coupon bringing final price to roughly $70 off list. With the supply of watches cut off, I would not have expected that, but the volume that already exists in the retail supply chain must be pretty significant, or perhaps demand for the Ultra 2 is just not that huge.