Apple is pushing hard to make the Mac relevant in gaming

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware

Apple is taking a giant leap in the gaming world, with executives revealing plans to harness the power of Apple Silicon to transform the Mac into a premier gaming platform.

Apple still wants the Mac in gaming
Apple still wants the Mac in gaming

Apple is making bold moves to transform the Mac into a formidable gaming platform in a significant shift from its small presence in the gaming industry. With a legacy that dates back to the introduction of the Macintosh in 1984, which revolutionized the use of the mouse and indirectly shaped computer gaming, Apple's journey in the gaming sphere has been marked by missed opportunities.

However, the introduction of Apple Silicon signifies a pivotal change in that trajectory, according to an in-depth interview by Raymond Wong at Inverse.

In the interview, Mac product marketing manager Gordon Keppel underscores the transformative nature of Apple Silicon.

"Now, every Mac that ships with Apple silicon can play AAA games pretty fantastically," he said. "Apple silicon has been transformative of our mainstream systems that got tremendous boosts in graphics with M1, M2, and now with M3."

The Mac's history with gaming has been complicated, with early hardware limitations significantly hampering its gaming potential. However, the introduction of Apple Silicon marks a departure from this narrative.

The M3 family of chips, in particular, brings features like hardware-accelerated ray-tracing and mesh shading to the table, previously uncharted territories for Macs. These advancements are about keeping pace and setting new benchmarks in gaming experiences.

Apple's strategy extends beyond just hardware. An Apple software marketing manager, Leland Martin, explains the unified hardware platform approach, simplifying game development across Apple devices.

"If you look at the Mac lineup just a few years ago, there was a mix of both integrated and discrete GPUs," Martin says. "That can add complexity when you're developing games. Because you have multiple different hardware permutations to consider."

"Today, we've effectively eliminated that completely with Apple silicon, creating a unified gaming platform now across iPhone, iPad, and Mac."

The ambition is clear -- Apple is not just trying to catch up but aiming to redefine what gaming on a Mac can be. The company knows that the gaming industry is constantly evolving.

With a vast and growing Apple Silicon Mac install base, the potential for developers and users alike is immense.

"Gaming was fundamentally part of the Apple silicon design," Doug Brooks, also on the Mac product marketing team, said. "Before a chip even exists, gaming is fundamentally incorporated during those early planning stages and then throughout development. I think, big picture, when we design our chips, we really look at building balanced systems that provide great CPU, GPU, and memory performance."

As Apple continues innovating and pushing the boundaries of what's possible with Mac gaming, the industry watches closely. The transformation of the Mac into a gaming platform is a work in progress, with each advancement bringing Apple one step closer to relevance in the space.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    Pushing hard? The new ARM based Mac Pros don't even support GPUs. Even Steam gave up on macOS and CS:GO is no longer supported. People who have time to play games the whole day are kids. Their parents ain't buying them a $2K Mac to game. If Apple seriously wants to get into gaming, either they need to target the kid segment or the tech enthusiast. The current Macs target a working professional and so that is where they sell
    edited December 2023 M68000michelb76williamlondonzeus423
  • Reply 2 of 59
    Yet Windows systems don’t seem to have any problems with “complexity” given the widespread availability of games on that system.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 59
    I love my Macs. They are essential tools for me and my business. Likewise, my iPhone and iPad would be hard to live without.

I'm also a gamer. I have a gaming PC, a Series X, and a Switch. I spend serious money on games (although none of it on any Apple platform). It's one hobby among many that I have, but one that brings me a lot of joy. I even have a few games I play competitively, having won money as part of a game team.

The difference in communities—players, developers, modders, streamers, etc.—between literally any other platform and Apple's is stark to a degree few realize, including Apple. Sure, encouraging developers to bring games to the Mac is great. Not going to criticize a bold first move. But this fawning press coverage about how Apple is taking gaming "seriously" is laugh-out-loud funny. Apple is finally paying the most basic attention to gaming. But that's just one step along a continuum that is miles long. Maybe that will make people who don't know any better think that the Mac is a "gaming platform." For the broader gaming community, it's not even worth a minute's consideration. 
    avon b7williamlondonGaby
  • Reply 4 of 59
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,875member
    lam92103 said:
    Pushing hard? The new ARM based Mac Pros don't even support GPUs. Even Steam gave up on macOS and CS:GO is no longer supported. People who have time to play games the whole day are kids. Their parents ain't buying them a $2K Mac to game. If Apple seriously wants to get into gaming, either they need to target the kid segment or the tech enthusiast. The current Macs target a working professional and so that is where they sell
    There are plenty of Macs used in upper end schools by the upper division kids and they git ahead but those that don't well are left behind and those that don't care let the school district give them Google Chromebooks. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdXX5Me2m6A. Molina

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ7flQhzvnQ.  Fibi 

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/yO9lWrke9oE  GoodNotes

Yes Apple needs to create/sponsor 2 new games designed to take advantage of the M series hardware at it's best, but more importantly Apple needs to design/support any bridge software to make writing games easier and that also applies to any AI software needed to bridge-network multiple Mac's together for inference, AI model work.

https://multiplatform.ai/apple-emerges-as-the-preferred-choice-for-ai-developers-in-harnessing-large-scale-open-source-llms/

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=37846387

watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 59
    IanSIanS Posts: 42member
    Yet Windows systems don’t seem to have any problems with “complexity” given the widespread availability of games on that system.
    I would say Windows systems have lots of problems with complexity, there is nothing simple about making sure your windows system will run the game you want. Things in windows may have gotten better for developers but again I would say there is nothing simple about it.

I think the articles should say that Apple is trying to reboot gaming on the mac. Apple has the largest mobile gaming platform and has a quality development platform. Apple has completely abandon the X86 platform so trying to attract game developers the old way is a waste of time. Getting developers to develop games that span from mobile to desktop is probably Apples best bet. Also of course providing the tools to move games from traditional gaming platforms to the Apple platform.

Apple will not support alternative video cards so the tools to port to Apples alternative is paramount, along with continued hardware development.

The other thing that I would like to see from Apple that I think would help with this transition is a version of the Apple TV with the power level closer to a Mac than an iPhone.
    tmayAlex1NdanoxchasmBart Y9secondkox2watto_cobrawilliamlondonStrangeDaystenthousandthings
  • Reply 6 of 59
    Apple tends to play the long game.   The comments so far all compare where Apple gaming is now to the past.  Apple is focused on the future and that is VisionPro.   Everything that Apple has been doing in terms of hardware is in support of VisionPro and its game changing opportunities not just as a computer device, but rather for the next gen device for work, productivity, entertainment, and yes - gaming.   For my use case the opportunity to expand my three-dimensional geologic models will be extraordinary.  Enough so that I intend to upgrade my entire system to M3 Studio and VisionPro in 2024.  

Gaming is a huge market, one that I don't truly appreciate, but those in this industry that do not see this Apple transformation will miss a huge opportunity. 

Alex1NBart Ywatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 7 of 59
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    If the opportunity is tempting enough the gaming companies will come.

In the G3-G5 days the Mac market share was insignificant and the effort needed to port games was great, so very few companies did it.

In the Intel days the market share was largely still small and the majority of the computers that Apple sold came with shitty integrated graphics that were not suitable for gaming.

Now every Mac sold is genuinely able to play AAA games and the market share is much larger than it was.

No, it won’t match a dedicated PC gaming rig, but most games sold on the PC are not played on those anyway.

I don’t game too often, two young kids and a hefty mortgage have seen to that. Still, I’ve very much enjoyed playing Baldur’s Gate 3 on my MacBook Pro recently and look forward to other releases in the future. if they’d not released it on the Mac I’d not have bought it.
    Alex1NBart Y40domiwatto_cobratenthousandthingsargonaut
  • Reply 8 of 59
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    Like has been said time and time again, I can’t see Apple being serious with gaming until they become a publisher. Like always making sure the top 10-20 games are contemporaneously on the platform while also maintaining a library of old hits.

The thing that solidifies it is when people actually spend money on the games. This is the only way to make it self perpetuating. 
    Alex1N9secondkox2watto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 9 of 59
    XedXed Posts: 2,575member
    lam92103 said:
    Pushing hard? The new ARM based Mac Pros don't even support GPUs.
    All Macs have GPUs.
    9secondkox2Bart Ywatto_cobrawilliamlondonStrangeDaysmacplusplusargonaut
  • Reply 10 of 59
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Xed said:
    lam92103 said:
    All Macs have GPUs.
    I’m assuming they meant External GPU’s.
    nubus
  • Reply 11 of 59
    saarek said:
    Xed said:
    lam92103 said:
    All Macs have GPUs.
    I assumed he was talking about a discrete GPU, not specifically an external one. But you never know. Many people still assume that integrated means shitty.
    edited December 2023 watto_cobrawilliamlondonzeus423jony0
  • Reply 12 of 59
    I think Apple is slowly playing the long game here again (as always though). Incrementally over time getting all the pieces together and optimized so that they have a one-stop-shop for all usages on their hardware offerings. Work, play etc.. They want to control all of the major components across the board with their HW, all of which takes lots of time, $ and development hours I can imagine.  People have been too conditioned for instant gratification these days, game-changing things take time.
    edited December 2023 Alex1NBart Y40domiwatto_cobraStrangeDaysargonaut
  • Reply 13 of 59
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,813member
    lam92103 said:
    Tell me you don't know what you're talking about without telling me you don't know what you're talking about....
    Bart Yjeffharris40domiwatto_cobrawilliamlondonroundaboutnowargonaut
  • Reply 14 of 59
    Apple has started the assault on gaming with their first step - an actually great. GPU. 

The base A17 Pro/M3 will be the baseline for AAA games. So the hardware effort has been launched.

Logically, if Apple is truly going to make a go of it, the. next step will be developer tools - oh... That's already done?

Gee, sounds like it's a real thing then.

The next step will be the founding of a first-party game studio/purchase of an existing AAA studio - or three. Even one exclusive/timed exclusive/semi-exclusive game per year would be huge. And third parties adding to that would be a good start. But Apple actively recruiting third-party contracts would be the way to go. They have made some baby steps in this regard, but a serious effort would be massive. With Apple's fan base combined with gaming fans, Apple wouldn't know what hit them with the financial additions and fan growth.  

Getting the M3 into an affordable hardware "Apple Arcade" would be a great move. in addition to the computer/device ecosystem.

I expect to see more news on this front at WWDC. 

Alex1NchasmBart Y40domiwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 15 of 59
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    lam92103 said:
    I do believe the market has spoken and "kids who have time to play games all day" are a mere fraction of the player base these days.

Like how Lego has branded a whole bunch of sets 18+ and now doesn't lose teenagers and has recaptured the parents.  The money is still in the hands of the Adults and Young-Adults (with first jobs) who don't want to be left out and in many ways are rediscovering "play" as a brain-health exercise. Or they are just saying that to keep the player without getting too much stick.

If Apple are serious about games they need to be talking to the studios that have dropped them as a platform and work out what would get those titles back on the platform. 

Alex1NBart Yjeffharris40domiwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 16 of 59
    Many, many people game on low-end PCs.

I know a teen that does some gaming on an M1 MacMini, and all his mates have PCs - but the M1 actually runs the games he can play on it better than his mates PCs do (faster framerates and better render distance for example).

Obviously the games playable on M1 are limited, so he uses an old Intel Mac with bootcamp for other games and that iMac runs these other games far better than his mates PCs too.

The M1 Mac Mini cost as much when new as the mates low-end PCs but the iMac cost significantly more when it was bought. The equivalent iMac still costs more than the low-end PCs if bought second-hand.

My point is that Apple Silicon does not have to beat the top-end PCs with 4090 GPUs, as most gamers do not have high-end PCs.

I’m pretty sure the M3 would be a great gaming platform if developers would ship games that can run on it - the developers need incentivising/subsidising from Apple imho. 
    Bart Y40domiwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 17 of 59
    From hardware standpoint Apple has a long way to go when it comes to gaming.   Sure Apple is putting lots of GPUs in their silicon, but Apple's GPU are puny compared to the GPU cards PC gamers are using.   Apple has a long way to go before serious gamers are going to take them seriously.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 18 of 59
    Toortog said:
    From hardware standpoint Apple has a long way to go when it comes to gaming.   Sure Apple is putting lots of GPUs in their silicon, but Apple's GPU are puny compared to the GPU cards PC gamers are using.   Apple has a long way to go before serious gamers are going to take them seriously.
    Personally, I would put performance ahead of size when talking about potential for gaming.
    nubuswatto_cobrawilliamlondonStrangeDaysargonaut
  • Reply 19 of 59
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,875member
    saarek said:
    Xed said:
    lam92103 said:
    All Macs have GPUs.
    That ship has sailed, which is why Apple has to be more proactive as usual they simply can't put their future in gaming in the hands of Unity and Epic (who are flaking out) they need to make the tools needed better than what they are today, and one or two really good games showcasing the built in abilities won't hurt.

If I were Apple I wouldn't pay any of these flaky game companies, this being Apple anything done aside from software gaming infrastructure needs to fly under the radar until ready. Could be in motion already?
    edited December 2023 Bart Y40domiwatto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 20 of 59
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    emoeller said:
    Apple tends to play the long game.   The comments so far all compare where Apple gaming is now to the past.  Apple is focused on the future and that is VisionPro.   Everything that Apple has been doing in terms of hardware is in support of VisionPro and its game changing opportunities not just as a computer device, but rather for the next gen device for work, productivity, entertainment, and yes - gaming.   For my use case the opportunity to expand my three-dimensional geologic models will be extraordinary.  Enough so that I intend to upgrade my entire system to M3 Studio and VisionPro in 2024.  

Gaming is a huge market, one that I don't truly appreciate, but those in this industry that do not see this Apple transformation will miss a huge opportunity. 

As soon as Apple does something noticiable in gaming, it will be appreciated.  But at the moment, the "Apple transformation" in Mac gaming has been poor.  
    michelb76danox