Apple Vision Pro imminent, with launch rumored at end of January

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro edited January 2

The latest rumors sourced from Apple's supply chain point to January 26 for the Apple Vision Pro launch, which lines up with other accurate sources.

Apple Vision Pro
Apple Vision Pro

When Apple revealed Apple Vision Pro, it promised an "early 2024" release window, which could realistically mean anytime before June. However, evidence has been mounting for a January to February launch window, with the latest suggesting the former.

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman shared that January 26 is an Apple Vision Pro launch date "floating around" people familiar with the matter in China. This came as a response to a MacRumors story covering a sketchy source suggesting the date.

The original iPad was released on a Saturday. Jan 26 is indeed the date floating around the last few days among people in China who claim to be connected to Apple. Like I said, units will be ready by end of January with a retail launch by February. It's imminent.

-- Mark Gurman (@markgurman)

Gurman's response lines up with what AppleInsider has heard from independent sources. Our understanding is that Apple Retail is preparing for the initial launch through January with training and in-store units.

Apple has been clear about how it intends to roll out Apple Vision Pro in retail. Customers will need to physically come to an Apple Store to be fitted for a unit.

We expect the in-store experience will serve as a way to educate the user for initial setup. Many will likely be fitted in store and sent home with a receipt to await delivery.

The limiting factor for in-store pickup will likely be the prescription lenses required for anyone that wears glasses. Apple Stores are expected to have a small stock of standard prescriptions available.

Apple Vision Pro costs $3,499, but Apple hasn't shared how that price accounts for accessories like a custom visor or prescription lenses. The launch date will likely be revealed by Apple soon to give customers time to plan finances and a visit to the Apple Store.

Rumor Score: Likely

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    The store visit requirement for fitting and shipment to home makes sense.  I don’t think this will be a long term requirement, but rather it will be to get feedback and work out kinks.  I would think light seals in different sizes could be purchased separately, which would eliminate questions about the fit.
    williamlondonOfer
  • Reply 2 of 28
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,437member
    So much for rumors that Apple Vision Pro won't arrive til summer. 
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Yawn NBD.      

Call it what it is a paid beta program the Vision Pro will be from finished product, but Apple needs to see how people will actually use it,  shake out the bugs, and start the Fanboys running their mouths about it.    Also Apple need to workout how they will sell it in the future to the masses especially in places that aren't close to Apple stores.  Apple needs developer to get onboard and start writing apps for the Vision Pro and they need them to test with.   This will also generate some funding because the R&D expense on this thing must be outrageous.   If Apple called this an Early Adopters program or similar name they would sell as many but putting it out as a 1.0 will get people with deep pockets to hop on board.   

My guess is the actual Vision Pro version ready for the masses will come out in about three years. 
  • Reply 4 of 28
    thttht Posts: 5,496member
    Looking forward to finally seeing what people can do with the device.

Big thing for me is being able to use it for keyboard input dominated workflows. Hopefully Terminal.app is part of the software load. Wonder how they are going to do the cursor. Every spatial view has a cursor? One cursor that traverses all the spatial views?
    entropys
  • Reply 5 of 28
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,347member
    Yay released no my birthday well local time anyway. 
  • Reply 6 of 28
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,416member
    I’m pretty upbeat about the Vision Pro but I’ll probably wait until the second release before I jump in. I’m usually an early adopter but I’ve seen this story play out with pretty much every Apple product I’ve owned, like iPad and Apple Watch, where the 2nd release is a big step improvement over the first one. I still have an iPad 2 that works while my iPad 1 gave up the ghost many years ago. But eventually I’ll probably get one. 
    9secondkox2StrangeDays
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Toortog said:
    Yawn NBD.      

Call it what it is a paid beta program the Vision Pro will be from finished product, but Apple needs to see how people will actually use it,  shake out the bugs, and start the Fanboys running their mouths about it.    Also Apple need to workout how they will sell it in the future to the masses especially in places that aren't close to Apple stores.  Apple needs developer to get onboard and start writing apps for the Vision Pro and they need them to test with.   This will also generate some funding because the R&D expense on this thing must be outrageous.   If Apple called this an Early Adopters program or similar name they would sell as many but putting it out as a 1.0 will get people with deep pockets to hop on board.   

My guess is the actual Vision Pro version ready for the masses will come out in about three years. 

Sounds like copy and paste diatribes from previous Apple releases but here we are... a $3 trillion dollar company. 
    fastasleepdope_ahmined_2danoxStrangeDays
  • Reply 8 of 28
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,426member
    Toortog said:
    Yawn NBD.      

Every. Single. Time. 

LOL
    9secondkox2williamlondonStrangeDayspaisleydisco
  • Reply 9 of 28
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,347member
    Toortog said:
    Yawn NBD.      

Every. Single. Time. 

LOL
    Clue a week after launch and all the complaints that there isn't any exciting software for it yet.
    danoxpaisleydisco
  • Reply 10 of 28
    XedXed Posts: 2,622member
    mattinoz said:
    Toortog said:
    Yawn NBD.      

Every. Single. Time. 

LOL
    Clue a week after launch and all the complaints that there isn't any exciting software for it yet.
    And then years down the road when everyone else shamelessly copies everything that Apple did to make Apple Vision Pro a great product and the OP will be back saying how AVP isn't special or unique because it was obvious the whole time.
    mattinozforegoneconclusiondanoxwilliamlondonStrangeDayspaisleydiscoqwerty52
  • Reply 11 of 28
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,192member
    The Apple Product Cycle is probably very apropos for this product .
    paisleydiscobikerdude
  • Reply 12 of 28
    dewme said:
    I’m pretty upbeat about the Vision Pro but I’ll probably wait until the second release before I jump in. I’m usually an early adopter but I’ve seen this story play out with pretty much every Apple product I’ve owned, like iPad and Apple Watch, where the 2nd release is a big step improvement over the first one. I still have an iPad 2 that works while my iPad 1 gave up the ghost many years ago. But eventually I’ll probably get one. 
    Why not get one of each?
  • Reply 13 of 28
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,768member
    It’s great that the Vision Pro comes out right away (if true). Then we can see if for ourselves if it’s really something special or just another headset with better specs and UI. 

The idea of strapping a Mac/ipad to my face isn’t appealing personally - even though it can block out the environment and provide a faux 3D look with parallax. I like being able to look away from the screen often, unless I’m heavily involved in. Game, movie, or design project. Don’t care to wear the battery either. 

So far, I haven’t seen or heard anything at all that makes this a compelling purchase. 

But I’d still like to try it s as me see if it’s a tertiary device that I might still find value in for some use cases. 
  • Reply 14 of 28
    So with the 3d scan of your ears for the AirPods and know the 3d scan of the face for the Vision Pro (FaceID is only stored locally!) ... Apple know gains the looks of all the users buying into the ecosystem. 

2024 is much closer to 1984 now.
    williamlondon9secondkox2
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Every first gen Apple product I’ve bought has lasted me years and been great, including the first Intel Macbook Pro in 2006 and the first Apple Watch lasted me until last year! I wonder how the international rollout for AVP will be handled. 
  • Reply 16 of 28
    So with the 3d scan of your ears for the AirPods and know the 3d scan of the face for the Vision Pro (FaceID is only stored locally!) ... Apple know gains the looks of all the users buying into the ecosystem. 

2024 is much closer to 1984 now.
    Tell us you haven’t read 1984 without telling us you haven’t read 1984. 
    mike1williamlondon9secondkox2folk fountainStrangeDaysnubuspaisleydiscoAlex1N
  • Reply 17 of 28
    mattinoz said:
    Yay released no my birthday well local time anyway. 
    Jan. 26th was Eddie Van Halen’s birthday.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 18 of 28
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,354moderator
    tht said:

Big thing for me is being able to use it for keyboard input dominated workflows. Hopefully Terminal.app is part of the software load. Wonder how they are going to do the cursor. Every spatial view has a cursor? One cursor that traverses all the spatial views?
    I doubt Terminal will be in there, it has a similar setup to iOS. Eye tracking plus pinch is used instead of cursor/touch:

https://www.uploadvr.com/apple-vision-pro-gesture-controls/

If it's possible to connect a mouse, it might show like on iPad with a floating circle ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j10KF1rQx3Q ).

When a Mac is connected, I expect it will show a cursor on the Mac display panel as normal because it shows the Mac framebuffer but the Mac can probably be controlled by eye tracking too, the Mac system would just need a new input handler for it.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 19 of 28
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,962member
    aderutter said:
    Every first gen Apple product I’ve bought has lasted me years and been great, including the first Intel Macbook Pro in 2006 and the first Apple Watch lasted me until last year! I wonder how the international rollout for AVP will be handled. 
    EU last in line..... :smile: 
    edited January 3
  • Reply 20 of 28
    thttht Posts: 5,496member
    Marvin said:
    tht said:

I doubt Terminal will be in there, it has a similar setup to iOS. Eye tracking plus pinch is used instead of cursor/touch:

https://www.uploadvr.com/apple-vision-pro-gesture-controls/

If it's possible to connect a mouse, it might show like on iPad with a floating circle ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j10KF1rQx3Q ).

When a Mac is connected, I expect it will show a cursor on the Mac display panel as normal because it shows the Mac framebuffer but the Mac can probably be controlled by eye tracking too, the Mac system would just need a new input handler for it.
    This is Apple's VP ad copy: "Apple Vision Pro works with Bluetooth accessories like Magic Keyboard and Magic Trackpad, which are great for things like complex spreadsheets and long emails."

For text based workflows, there needs to be a way to select text. This is a fine-grained operation where a user could select a letter, a set of letters, a word, a sentence fragment, paragraphs, and whole tomes that require scrolling.

If it is hand and eye tracking, then it would basically be the slow touch UI method that Apple has. Look at the word, pinch, selection handles appear, look at one selection handle, pinch, move, and repeat with the other.

You could use two hands. Have a cursor button that activates a text insertion point, place the insertion point with your eyes, pinch and slide for selection. 2nd hand could be used to scroll for text outside the view.

The simplest thing is just to use a trackpad or mouse. Input focus could be follow eyes (same as focus follows mouse) or could be focus follows selection of view. macOS uses focus follows selection or focus follows click, whatever you call it.

Apple will have to define input gestures beyond just a pinch as well. Like, what if you need to scroll a lot? Is that a pinch with circular motion? Once something is selected, what's the gesture for popup menu options for that selected object?