New M3 iPad Pro with OLED may have a ridiculously higher starting price

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware

A new report said to be from Apple's supply chain claims that the OLED iPad Pro will be massively more expensive than the existing models, solely for advantages from the OLED screen.

The 12.9-inch 2022 iPad Pro
The 12.9-inch 2022 iPad Pro

Rumors about OLED in iPad have been churning for a long time. If the first rumors were to be believed, the product would have launched in 2022.

The latest rumor about the device, courtesy yeux1122 is that the product will cost a lot more than it does now. Specifically, the leaker is guessing that it will start at $1500 and will cost as much as $2000.

There's a lot to talk about with this rumor. Assuming that this applies to the entire iPad Pro line, this means that the 11-inch iPad will cost almost double it does now to start.

Even if just applies to the existing 12.9-inch model which is expected to grow to 13 inches with OLED technology, that's still a $400 premium from the existing $1199 starting price for the model.

It's also not clear about the $2000 price point. This is more than a fully-loaded 11-inch iPad Pro at present, but less than a maxed-out 12.9-inch iPad Pro.

The leaker postulates that Apple will lean heavily on promoting the OLED technology as superior to the existing technology. That may be the case for the Liquid Retina display in the 11-inch iPad Pro, but it may not be for the XDR display in the 12.9-inch iPad Pro.

And, the manufacturing cost for OLED in the 12.9-inch iPad is expected to be similar, unless Apple has some additional technological enhancements planned that haven't been leaked yet.

Yeux1122's post, translated to English
Yeux1122's post, translated to English

The report also discusses the rumored use of the two-stack OLED display.

LG Display is reportedly preparing to use a new OLED material set known as "RDE" in the OLED panel used in the iPad Pro. The material change will apparently be included in models launching in 2024.

The OLED panels used in the current iPhone displays are known as a "single-stack product," which uses one light-emitting layer. The RDE material LG Display wants to use has a two-stack tandem structure, where two light-emitting layers are stacked on top of each other.

The benefit of the two-stack system is that it can produce the same brightness as a single-stack panel, but consumes less power in the process. Efficiency and lifespan are also anticipated for the panel.

The provenance of the rumor posted on the Never blog isn't clear, and is impossible to confirm.

Yeux1122 has a mixed track record as it pertains to Apple products. They have predicted things accurately in the past, mostly after other rumor generators have posted them first. However, they very notably completely botched a $1999 price guess for the Apple Vision Pro just a day before WWDC 2023.

We are expecting OLED in 2024, finally. There are no new revelations in Monday's rumor, other than the price point -- which at its face, combined with the clear miss on pricing for Apple Vision Pro casts significant doubt on this aspect of the rumor.

Rumor Score: Unlikely

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    Surely this can't be true. In my opinion, the iPad Pro is already far too expensive. Adding a keyboard and matching the 256GB you get with a MacBook is £1748 compared to £1149 MacBook Air. That's £600 more and that doesn't even include an Apple Pencil to take advantage of the touchscreen features. Add that and it's £1887. Nearly 2 grand! 

This is already in the crazy zone for a device that's still very limited by its software/OS. Most testers have struggled to use one as their main work machine. I would suggest Apple focuses on making iPad OS fit for purpose, rather than mincing about with the screen (which nobody seems to have much of a problem with).

Looking at tumbling Mac sales, one has to wonder if Apple really understands the current financial climate facing a very significant part of the world. They have, without doubt, developed their best-ever range of devices. Just about everything Apple offers now is best in class. But the prices are becoming insane. With the M series MacBooks they had the chance to finally get volume and move out of being an expensive niche choice. But as usual, they got greedy. The RAM and SSD pricing is crazy. I would love to see even smaller and cheaper M1 devices targeted at education to grow the installed user base. A smaller M1-based budget laptop to compete with the £500-£800 PCs. Get people onboard with Mac and they'll buy a proper one next time. This just seems so shortsighted.
    edited January 8 avon b7kellieentropyswatto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 2 of 25
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    The only reason why I laugh at the notion of an $2k iPad Pro is not because it's bad hardware.  I just don't feel like iPad OS and iPad software is exceptional given the constraints the iPad places on workflows.  

williamlondonMplsPcanukstorm9secondkox2watto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 3 of 25
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    KidGloves said:
    Surely this can't be true. In my opinion, the iPad Pro is already far too expensive. Adding a keyboard and matching the 256GB you get with a MacBook is £1748 compared to £1149 MacBook Air. That's £600 more and that doesn't even include an Apple Pencil to take advantage of the touchscreen features. Add that and it's £1887. Nearly 2 grand! 

This is already in the crazy zone for a device that's still very limited by its software/OS. Most testers have struggled to use one as their main work machine. I would suggest Apple focuses on making iPad OS fit for purpose, rather than mincing about with the screen (which nobody seems to have much of a problem with).

Looking at tumbling Mac sales, one has to wonder if Apple really understands the current financial climate facing a very significant part of the world. They have, without doubt, developed their best-ever range of devices. Just about everything Apple offers now is best in class. But the prices are becoming insane. With the M series MacBooks they had the chance to finally get volume and move out of being an expensive niche choice. But as usual, they got greedy. The RAM and SSD pricing is crazy. I would love to see even smaller and cheaper M1 devices targeted at education to grow the installed user base. A smaller M1-based budget laptop to compete with the £500-£800 PCs. Get people onboard with Mac and they'll buy a proper one next time. This just seems so shortsighted.
    Apple is legendary for ripping off consumers with their Ram and Storage upgrades. Still, at least in the past people could do it aftermarket.

Now that’s no longer an option and Apple has decided to price gouge to an even more egregious degree.

It’s sad because their market share is growing and they really could make massive leaps forward if it were not for Tim’s greed. After all, it’s not like Apple is on the ropes and needs the money. They can’t even spend what they have now.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 25
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,308member
    Over the years, I have really appreciated how Apple has pushed the industry forward on display technology. I remember a time when Apple was one of the few computer makers that used IPS screens. The standard in the windows PC world was crappy TN screens. It was almost impossible to get an IPS screen, because PC executives had decided that us dumb consumers would never pay for IPS. And then Apple pushed things forward with retina displays, etc etc. 

It's all been great -- I've definitely appreciated it. 

But I wonder if we are getting to a point where further improvements are of limited (not zero, but limited) value. Even before this rumor, I was not willing to pay for an iPad Pro. I've been holding out for a 13 inch iPad Air to replace my A10X-based 13 inch iPad Pro. It might be time for Apple to tap the brakes on using new display technology if doing so noticeably increases the price of the product.
    pbruttowatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 25
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    blastdoor said:
    Over the years, I have really appreciated how Apple has pushed the industry forward on display technology. I remember a time when Apple was one of the few computer makers that used IPS screens. The standard in the windows PC world was crappy TN screens. It was almost impossible to get an IPS screen, because PC executives had decided that us dumb consumers would never pay for IPS. And then Apple pushed things forward with retina displays, etc etc. 

But I wonder if we are getting to a point where further improvements are of limited (not zero, but limited) value. Even before this rumor, I was not willing to pay for an iPad Pro. I've been holding out for a 13 inch iPad Air to replace my A10X-based 13 inch iPad Pro. It might be time for Apple to tap the brakes on using new display technology if doing so noticeably increases the price of the product.
    They need to continue to push for new display technologies as the high contrast ratio display tech isn't cheap enough to make it into lower end hardware, like it has on phones. OLED and miniLED is not very common on laptops, tablets and monitors. It's a nice step above LCD technology.

Their push for miniLED seems to have stalled out as the cost could not be driven down enough to get it into the iPad Pro 11, the MBA models, and the external monitors. There was only going to be a 3 or 4 year window for miniLED before OLED becomes robust enough for computer monitor applications. So, looks like they are moving on to OLED.

You have to be careful about pricing rumors. Pricing is the last to leak, and if the rumor is coming from the supply chain, it will be unreliable.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 25
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 842member
    I'm sorry, but I can buy LG's superb and current 48" C3 OLED TV for about $1100... or LG's 48" OLED gaming monitor for $850... but putting a 13" OLED panel in an iPad is going to drive the price to $2,000 because why?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 25
    blastdoor said:

I think an important thing to consider is some people (like myself) only upgrade our iPads every 4 or 5 years. So even if the new features are limited the accumulation of new features over time is not. Last time I upgraded it was along with the 120hz refresh rate and I would really appreciate an Oled screen as 100% of the time I use the iPad I am using the screen.  I really think there are 2 main tiers of repeat buyers, one who waits and just upgrades when their old device gets slow, and people who use the device to make money so new models every time are easily justifiable. Being in the former tier, If this rumor is true for price, I will either no longer use an iPad and adjust my workflow around it or buy a used 11" pro. I cannot justify over 1k for an 11" pro and I also don't like being forced to get a bigger screen to get all the new features. I think we are approaching or at full maturity of a rectangular shaped screen computing device. Better processor, better screen etc. but nothing new and innovative worth a 2x ish price increase.
    thtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 25
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,308member
    charlesn said:
    I'm sorry, but I can buy LG's superb and current 48" C3 OLED TV for about $1100... or LG's 48" OLED gaming monitor for $850... but putting a 13" OLED panel in an iPad is going to drive the price to $2,000 because why?
    TV prices are often subsidized because the manufacturers install spyware (android) and make money selling your data. Not sure if that applies to the specific models you reference, but it’s something to be aware of.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 25
    nubusnubus Posts: 387member
    Apple did the same on Mac Pro. When iMac was introduced the PowerMac G3 B+W was only $300 extra. The latest iMac M3 has the exact same entry price ($1,299) but the Mac Pro is no longer $1,599 - it is $6,999 (+ $5700). You could upgrade memory, add a better GPU,...  and it was a very nice computer. The new Mac Pro is better but so is the new iMac, but Apple decided the Pro series should be more than 4x the price of iMac. And it doesn't sell.

If Apple is trying to repeat Mac Pro with iPad Pro, then a $2000 price is only the first step :-/
  • Reply 10 of 25
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,875member
    The only reason why I laugh at the notion of an $2k iPad Pro is not because it's bad hardware.  I just don't feel like iPad OS and iPad software is exceptional given the constraints the iPad places on workflows.  

And yet the so-called competition can't match it to this day with software and hardware, but Apple is supposed to give it away.
    edited January 8 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 25
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,875member
    charlesn said:

It's not for you....... Folding smartphones cost more too that's just the way it goes.

By the way Apple had to hit Samsung over the head to build Apples version of OLED which Samsung didn't want to do probably because they can't sell it in their own products at their low margins.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/22/12/21/samsung-backs-down-prioritizes-oled-design-apple-wanted

This isn't the first time Apple has had to kick LG or Samsung a__ to build their design.

edited January 8 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 25
    nrg2nrg2 Posts: 18member
    charlesn said:
    Pixel density. It costs significantly more to pack pixels into smaller displays. If you added the same pixel density to a 48” screen, it would be many thousands of dollars.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 25
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    danox said:

And yet the so-called competition can't match it to this day with software and hardware, but Apple is supposed to give it away.
    You obviously haven't heard of the MatePad Pro 13.2 and 3rd Gen M-Pencil. 

Tiny bezels. Thin. Light. OLED. HarmonyOS. NearLink connectivity. 10,000 pressure levels on the M-pen. Almost zero latency. Instant connection.... Supreme build quality. 

And. Unless I'm mistaken, Apple didn't even bother to release an upgraded iPad last year so they want you to pony up for older models with pitiful (or no) discounts along with upsell on the storage options. 

Let's be realistic. Apple could do more here. A lot more even?

I was considering an iPad for the wife this Christmas but backed off quickly. 
  • Reply 14 of 25
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,327moderator
    charlesn said:
    Promo text says it's the first two-stack OLED - double panel = double brightness, longer lifespan. iPad Pro mini-LED can do 1600 nits, normal OLED HDR is about half that.

There's been a few manufacturers releasing mini-LED displays recently. Although OLED gives better brightness control with no blooming and faster response times, mini-LED has had higher brightness without burn-in or image retention, better color control and the black levels look as good as OLED when blooming is minimal.

I guess two-stack OLED will sort the brightness and longevity issues but I'd be happy with mini-LED at a lower price. Over time the OLED price will come down as it becomes mainstream.
    nubuswatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 25
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    Well, first off this is just a rumor, so take it for what it's worth.

If they offered an OLED version along side an LCD version which version consumers preferred. My guess is very few would be willing to pay the premium just for an OLED screen, especially with how good the LCD screens have become.
    watto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 16 of 25
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    MplsP said:

If they offered an OLED version along side an LCD version which version consumers preferred. My guess is very few would be willing to pay the premium just for an OLED screen, especially with how good the LCD screens have become.
    Well, the rumors are that the iPad Air will have a 11" and 13" model. But, Apple will add features to differentiate the price between the two and price accordingly for the upsell. People will have to want the OLED.

Curiously, there are rumors that the iPad Air will get an OLED display too. It's going to be interesting how it all plays out.

Would like to see 2 Thunderbolt ports, SD card slot and 3.5mm audio port come back if Apple wants to create some upsell. I have a whole lot of ideas on what I'd like to see in a tablet.
    MplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 25
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    charlesn said:
    The OLED panel in that LG TV will be nowhere near as advanced as the OLED going into this new iPad Pro.  The OLED panel going into the latter will be an industry first.  There aren't any consumer devices in use today that use an OLED panel that has uses a 2-stack tandem design, has a 1hz to 120hz adaptive refresh rate, that has the same sustained / peak brightness and contrast ratio of the current iPad mini-LED display AND uses no power than a typical OLED display while offering these advanced features.  There isn't any that I am aware of.
    danoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 25
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    tht said:
    MplsP said:

Well, the rumors are that the iPad Air will have a 11" and 13" model. But, Apple will add features to differentiate the price between the two and price accordingly for the upsell. People will have to want the OLED.

Curiously, there are rumors that the iPad Air will get an OLED display too. It's going to be interesting how it all plays out.

Would like to see 2 Thunderbolt ports, SD card slot and 3.5mm audio port come back if Apple wants to create some upsell. I have a whole lot of ideas on what I'd like to see in a tablet.
    "Curiously, there are rumors that the iPad Air will get an OLED display too"

Rumors are saying 2026 at the EARLIEST.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 25
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
     Clearly, these days all Apple’s friends are Larry Ellison.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 25
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,727member
    blastdoor said:

Agreed. 

I feel some of us are fortunate to have the insight of being around in the early Tft days and can compare to now. I was a kid just starting to mess with computers and always thought TVs and monitors alike needed to really up the game when it came to clarity, eliminating visible pixels, fuzzy pixels, etc. 

when I switch from pc and went to Mac, my first purchase was a 17” PowerBook g4 - the last year they made them. I thought the screen was great for the time - but even then, not fantastic. Hd displays were happening and they looked ok too. 

Then apple went retina - and boy did that blow me away. Even before retina was a thing, msny of us always knew there had to be some better way. Some sharper display to be had. Then, boom. There it was. I bought the iMac 5k, iPad Pro, and iPhone. Literally everyone was in awe of the visual fidelity. 

Then came backlighting with led, etc. 

I think we are at a point of diminishing returns with screen tech. Even higher refresh doesn’t have the same impact, though it’s appreciated. 

Resolution with respect to size matters. Contrast with respect to brightness, and vice versa, matters. Refresh matters - to a point. 

And most of these have been tackled. Of course, higher refresh, nits, contrast, sharper resolution all should be advanced upon, but some of the tech to get there needs to be sussed out. Mini led is great, but it falls backward with blooming this far. 

As much as we want to move forward, it appears that the big targets have been pretty well hit, with incremental updates to follow. I mean, heck, we have 8k and 16k, but they haven’t caught fire. I was at Samsung’s showcase in Irvine sourcing for a project and peeped all the cool stuff. But to be honest, and I hate to say it, but… it didn’t wow me. The difference from 4K to 8k was very small and the difference from 8k to 16k was imperceptible at the sizes Samsung was showing. If you are going to cover the side of a building, great. But for a monitor, or less than 200-150” tv, kind of little return on investment. 

I’d love to have a 16k display in my laptop, don’t get me wrong. But we’re at a point of convergence now. 
    watto_cobramacike