Apple Vision Pro will ship to customers on February 2

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro edited January 8

Apple has finally nailed down the release date of the Apple Vision Pro in the United States, with it reaching customer hands starting on February 2, following a brief pre-order period.

Apple Vision Pro
Apple Vision Pro

Since its introduction at WWDC 2023, Apple has repeatedly said the Apple Vision Pro will be available sometime in early 2024, without pinning down an exact date. Now, Apple has finally confirmed when its mixed reality headset will become available.

Apple's headset will ship to customers on February 2. Preorders begin on January 19.

Just as explained shortly after its introduction, Apple will be making the Apple Vision Pro available only in the United States at launch, with a view to bringing it to more countries later in the year.

Sales will take place via Apple's website as well as a limited number of Apple Store locations across the country. Since headsets and lenses will be personally adjusted for each customer, and it's not clear exactly how that's going to happen at this point.

We've reached out to Apple about this matter, and have been told that there is no information to share about the process at this point.

The era of spatial computing has arrived! Apple Vision Pro is available in the US on February 2. pic.twitter.com/5BK1jyEnZN

-- Tim Cook (@tim_cook)

Pricing for the Apple Vision Pro has been known for quite some time, and remains at $3,499, before adding accessories.

Apple Vision Pro comes with a Solo Knit Band and Dual Loop Band, giving users two options for the fit that works best for them. Apple Vision Pro also includes a Light Seal, two Light Seal Cushions, an Apple Vision Pro Cover for the front of the device, Polishing Cloth, Battery, USB-C Charge Cable, and USB-C Power Adapter.

Lenses cost $99 for "readers" and $149 for prescription Zeiss Optical inserts.

The Apple Vision Pro is the iPhone maker's first proper foray into creating a headset. Effectively a very high-specification VR headset, it uses an array of external sensors and 23 million pixels across its two displays to offer a high quality mixed reality experience.

Inside is a custom dual-chip design of Apple Silicon that splits apart the application processing with the M2 chip and the headset-specific duties in the R1 chip for real-time rendering of spatial computing. Users can turn a Digital Crown to blend between a fully-immersive experience or one that mixes in their local environment.

Users can create a Persona for the headset, a digital representation of themselves that appears during FaceTime calls and in applications.

EyeSight is Apple's unique feature that can show the eyes of the user's Persona on the external display, giving the appearance of the user actively looking at someone or something in their local environment. This serves as a way for others to know if the user can see them while wearing the headset, with a visualization appearing when they are fully immersed.

This certainly won't be Apple's only move into head-based spatial computing, but it could be one of its most expensive offerings. Apple is rumored to already be working on a more price-friendly version with a cut in features, as well as a full-fat second-generation model.

Read on AppleInsider

ronn

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,815member
    Apple clearly don't mind if the vast majority of buyers wait for the less featured version, or they'd have had a wall of secrecy.  Letting it be known that there will be a non-Pro version and MkII version in the works tells me they expect first-generation buyers to be fully aware they are pioneers going in with their eyes wide open (with or without prescription lenses, lol).  So, I hope the reaction to the MkI will be focused on this, not the price, and that Wall Street doesn't crucify AAPL due to lower-than-expected (as predicted by dick-heads) sales of this product.
    napoleon_phoneaparth2pwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 35
    No special event?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 35
    MacPro said:
    Apple clearly don't mind if the vast majority of buyers wait for the less featured version, or they'd have had a wall of secrecy.  Letting it be known that there will be a non-Pro version and MkII version in the works tells me they expect first-generation buyers to be fully aware they are pioneers going in with their eyes wide open (with or without prescription lenses, lol).  So, I hope the reaction to the MkI will be focused on this, not the price, and that Wall Street doesn't crucify AAPL due to lower-than-expected (as predicted by dick-heads) sales of this product.
    Apple have always got a follow up product in the works. You’ll never buy anything if you always wait for the ‘next’ model. 
    gregoriusmwilliamlondondewmeronnStrangeDaysmattinozAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 35
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,014member
    I am planning to order based on the probability of being able to sell it when I’m done playing with it, hoping to have owned it “rent free.” This based on the expectation of continued demand exceeding supply and no big price drop in the first year or so. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 35
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,230member
    A MacBook Pro with 12 camera's and a R1 co-processor isn't going to get much cheaper than 2500 dollars, which is close to the price of a fully equipped 12.9 iPad Pro. The most important thing is what it can actually do (spacial video/movies/R1 chip capability) to justify the price, no different than all the other Apple devices released in the last 25 years.

What it will be is best in class by a country mile.
    gregoriusmronnAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 35
    nubusnubus Posts: 568member
    lmasanti said:
    quote: ”Lenses cost $99 for "readers" and $149 for prescription Zeiss Optical inserts.”

I do not live in the US. Can anybody tell me how much a Zeiss —not a cheap plastic one— reader/prescirption lenses cost?
    I bought glasses with Zeiss progressive lenses for $1300 excl. sales tax. I did however get the polish cloth for free :smile: 
    bala1234dewmeronnStrangeDaysAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 35
    RespiteRespite Posts: 111member
    Halfway tempted to book a flight over there, I'm getting a little tingle of excitement over this.  Sure it's no iPhone, but I still think it's going to be amazing.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 35

lmasanti said:

it is best to begin from the top… and then easily go down… than begin from the bottom and then try build upon a clunky design. See Quest. (Tesla copied this business model!)
    Apple did in the past launch a few products at the top only to massively restructure things. Lisa ended up in part rebranded as Macintosh XL and part in landfill in Utah with Mac being 75% cheaper! Watch 1st Edition - top price of $12000 - and then series 1 had the top price reduced by 90%. iPhone... Apple launched it at $599 and then dropped it two months later to $399 (33%). Apple should slash the price to $2000 and launch an M3/Wifi 7 version this summer for $2500.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 35
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 699member
    I always go by the adage for all Apple products (pretty much), never be the 1st Gen buyer of said new product. Wait till Gen 3 or later (if you can) at least. Better bang for your $.
    edited January 8 bonobobwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 35
    thttht Posts: 5,599member
    I still can't believe the battery runtimes of this device. 2 hrs for what looks to be a 30 WHr battery? Maybe 40 WHr?

That's 15 to 20 Watts of heat 2 inches in front of your eyes. The fan is going to be blowing some air. So, every chip component inside the VP needs to be at the next node ASAP, and only have minimal performance improvements. Weight needs to go down by half.
    hypoluxagrandact73williamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 35
    tht said:
    I still can't believe the battery runtimes of this device. 2 hrs for what looks to be a 30 WHr battery? Maybe 40 WHr?

That's 15 to 20 Watts of heat 2 inches in front of your eyes. The fan is going to be blowing some air. So, every chip component inside the VP needs to be at the next node ASAP, and only have minimal performance improvements. Weight needs to go down by half.

Yup. Wait till at least Gen 3 to buy. If it even lasts until then.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 35
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,649member
    It will be nice to get the speculation phase behind us and get some real reviews from real customers.

You don't what you've got 'til it's gone ... to general availability. 

Something like that.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 35
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,433moderator
    tht said:

The battery pack looks a bit smaller than 30Wh. There's a 37Wh pack here that looks almost twice the thickness of the AVP battery pack:

https://www.amazon.com/Compact-10000mAh-Micro-USB-Portable-Chromebook/dp/B093TYQ65Z?th=1

AVP one looks similar size to the MagSafe iPhone battery, which is 11Wh.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/07/20/apples-magsafe-battery-pack-hands-on-and-first-impressions

I'd say closer to 20Wh. M1 GPU only uses about 7-10W for a full 3D game when CPU use is low:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16252/mac-mini-apple-m1-tested/3

It will likely ship with M3 and run at ~10W or less, maybe higher peak. 10W is low enough to be passively cooled. It would get hot if it was much more than this. 15W is probably fine with a fan.

Compute power will be low for movies vs a 3D game, some of the power will go to the displays. People who tried it in the demos for about half an hour didn't say it got hot, the following reviewer said the frame was cool to the touch after 30-40 minutes of use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSeqXeZHjRY&t=1042s
    williamlondonAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 35
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,030member
    hypoluxa said:
    I always go by the adage for all Apple products (pretty much), never be the 1st Gen buyer of said new product. Wait till Gen 3 or later (if you can) at least. Better bang for your $.
    As a general “value” strategy, your money will be worth less two generations in the future due to inflation. Not to mention opportunity cost not having whatever-tool that you have a job for today. Thus if I need a device today, I buy it today. And I often sell it tomorrow. 
    edited January 8 MacProwilliamlondonAlex1Nfastasleepronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 35
    hypoluxa said:
    As a general “value” strategy, your money will be worth less two generations in the future due to inflation. Not to mention opportunity cost not having whatever-tool that you have a job for today. Thus if I need a device today, I buy it today. And I often sell it tomorrow. 

I see your point. But then I look at the costs of products in the past and what they can do now as compared to say 20 yrs ago for the same price. More or less. At least in regards to PC's and the like.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 35
    I’m reading that the “base” level device will provide 256GB of storage — I’m assuming there will be higher storage options.  What do you think is adequate?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 35
    hypoluxa said:
    I’ve always been a first adopter and never regretted it. First iMac gave me great service, as did iPhone, iPad, and watch. Did they get better and cheaper over time? Sure. But got a lot of pleasure and use out of each and considered it money well spent. Not a clunker or rip off in the lot. 
    Alex1Nronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 35
    Respite said:
    Halfway tempted to book a flight over there, I'm getting a little tingle of excitement over this.  Sure it's no iPhone, but I still think it's going to be amazing.
    The iPad was amazing - I sent my dad to New York to get one :-D  The iPhone - a new world. And the Mac.. to get back after summer vacation and the Apple II had been replaced by a Mac with windows you could move! AirPods, QuickTake, and... well - I really loved the Newton eMate 300. It is the one device I should have kept.

I don't like the couch potato or social isolation aspects of Vision. I really don't like to see a new"Pro" device being sold with an old CPU (M2), the weight of this thing, or the creepy external display. Watch launched, failed, and got repositioned. iPod launched, had limited sales (Firewire + Mac only), and then... killer. Where will Display take us, Apple, and Cook? Is Vision the Newton of Tim Cook? Well... it is too early to say, but great to see Apple innovate.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 35
    Curious as to how personal lenses will be handled. I intend to order on day one. Will box be sent to me, then I have to take it to an Apple Store to be tested to see if I need special lenses? (I had cataract surgery a while back so no longer need glasses, but do have low-correction readers if I’m going to be spending a lot of time reading smaller print.) Or, do I pick up the box at the Store and get tested on the spot? If the latter, do buyers get preference over demo people in the Stores on the 2nd? Hope Apple will be forthcoming clearing up these questions. 
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 35
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,815member
    Afarstar said:
    MacPro said:
    Apple have always got a follow up product in the works. You’ll never buy anything if you always wait for the ‘next’ model. 
    I think you missed the point of my comment, I pretty much always have bought the newest products as I can afford them but many can't.  My point is this isn't usual for Apple to be quite so upfront about what's coming.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra