What would make you upgrade your iBook?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    BeNiceOrYouHaveToUseAWindowsBox,

You have the most annoying fvcking screen name I've ever seen. Mods, please delete this retarded a$$hole's account and ban his IP. Do we have to have fvcked up formatting anywhere this turkey posts?

Thanks,

great job everywhere else.
  • Reply 22 of 49
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    A new laptop would have to double the features of my current laptop.

1GHz, 1GB RAM, Faster Graphics, Higher resolution.

All in the same form factor. The 12in iBook is the perfect size.
  • Reply 23 of 49
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by Stoo:

<strong>I'd like to see a 12.1" TiBook. A return to 10 hour battery life would be great.</strong><hr></blockquote>

[quote]Originally posted by gordy:

<strong>All in the same form factor. The 12in iBook is the perfect size.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Stoo and gordy express some of my strongest desires, which have also been represented in my signatures over the last couple of years. Whatever Apple does with the iBook, it has to be small, light, with extraordinary battery life.

Escher
  • Reply 24 of 49
    A faster processor (1GHz+) is first on my list, but not necessarily a G4. The TiBook gets pretty toasty. I'll stay with a G3 for now, unless a more efficient G4 comes along.

A faster combo drive would also be requisite. This thing takes forever to burn a CD.

Finally, a faster bus (133MHz) wouldn't be something I would probably notice, but it would make me feel good when I whip out the credit card.

Lighter weight, longer battery life, better graphics, /etc., would just be icing for me.
  • Reply 25 of 49
    What would make me upgrade my iBook?

$$ CA$H $$
  • Reply 26 of 49
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    MOSR (I know, I know!) talks about new iBooks in the 933MHz G3 range by next March. And a possible 14" widescreen format.

I think I could go with that maybe, if it turned out to be true.

I REALLY hate being chained to this desk anytime I want to write, draw, e-mail, surf, listen to iTunes, use Photoshop, etc.

I've never wanted a laptop as bad as I do now, but the TiBook is too expensive (and too fragile/flimsy for my tastes) and the iBook is less powered/spec-ed than what I currently have. I don't want to go BACK (or down) in speed or features.

So I'll wait. No big deal. But the day an iBook comes out that equals or surpasses my iMac (in speed, hard drive, video/graphics), I'm on it!
  • Reply 27 of 49
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    What would it take for me to get a new iBook? Hmm... let's see...

At least a 700MHz G4 (faster would be better)or 1GHz+ G3

At least a Radeon 7500 with 32MB

better battery life
  • Reply 28 of 49
    I was in an Apple store today, b/c I've recently come into the market for a laptop. I was messing around with the 700MHz iBook and the 800 MHz TiBook. Holy Crap the difference! :eek: In price :eek: and in performance :eek: !

The iBook running 10.2 felt like the 3 year old Dell laptop sitting in the closet (300MHz PII). I was so freaking slooooow at everything. App loading, resizing, scrolling, everything!

I have a good friend with a 500 iBook and he loves it. But, there's no way I could go from using a screaming desktop machine to that slow-a$$ thing. Maybe some more RAM would've helped (I know it would), but still....

I'm saving up for the next TiBook now.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>BeNiceOrYouHaveToUseAWindowsBox,

You have the most annoying fvcking screen name I've ever seen. Mods, please delete this retarded a$$hole's account and ban his IP. Do we have to have fvcked up formatting anywhere this turkey posts?

Thanks,

great job everywhere else.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I am amazed by the expressive power of your writing and the deep insights you share with us. This must easily be the most informative post in this thread -- amazing ...
  • Reply 30 of 49
    I'd upgrade my Lombard if the damn ibook ever gets a PC Card slot.
  • Reply 31 of 49
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    I Have Questions: that reminds me of something else the iBook needs: more RAM (urgently!). Why only 128MB on the 12.1" iBook?
  • Reply 32 of 49
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    What I want in an iBook...

13.1 inch screen in 12.1 inch iBook case or maybe slightly larger... just slightly

800Mhz G4 w/133 Mhz bus

ATI Radeon 7500 with extended desktop

40GB HD

Combo drive

titanium color not material
  • Reply 33 of 49
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    applenut, why not go for the 13.3 screen? I hear they are much more abundant in supply and would be much cheaper to make.
  • Reply 34 of 49
    [quote]Originally posted by BNOYHTUAWB:

<strong>

I am amazed by the expressive power of your writing and the deep insights you share with us. This must easily be the most informative post in this thread -- amazing ...</strong><hr></blockquote>

You know, I try. Thanks for noticing, like many geniuses I often go un-appreciated. Welcome to AI.
  • Reply 35 of 49
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by BNOYHTUAWB:

<strong>I am amazed by the expressive power of your writing and the deep insights you share with us.</strong><hr></blockquote>

In any case, BNOYHTUAWB, thanks for shortening your login name. It will be tougher to pronounce, but definitely easier on the eyes (and our nerves), which is what matters online.

Escher

[ 08-21-2002: Message edited by: Escher ]</p>
  • Reply 36 of 49
    Or you could use the spacebar.
  • Reply 37 of 49
    Hah. I just replaced my 500 mhz iBook yesterday (ordered it anyway). What made me do it?

My wife.

I switched from Windows to Mac about 14 months ago, and the iBook has been my only Mac I've ever owned. I've got the RAM and the hard drive maxed out (20gigs at the time and 640MB). I was hoping to add to it (not replace it with) a tower so I could have access to a G4, a larger hard drive, more RAM capacity, built in audio inputs, and a superdrive. But my wife needs a laptop for school, so we talked about it and, since I still need a laptop for work, she's taking my iBook and we ordered me a new iBook. So we're about to become total DINKs with matching laptops. Great.

Similar specs 700 mhz vs. 500 mhz. 40gig hard drive vs. 20. Maxed out RAM again (second 512MB module I've ordered from MemoryX in a year--hah). I think the only other difference is I've got a built-in microphone. Oh and a combo drive. They don't have the DVD-only drive option anymore, so I had to "settle" for the combo.

So the tower will have to wait at least another year.

If I hadn't needed a replacement laptop and had need of it now, then I would've held out until I got the TiBook with a 12.1" screen. Larger hard drive, more RAM, audio input, and a G4. I know, why not just get a TiBook? Part of it's expense, but more it's the physical size of the thing. I wouldn't give up the form factor for anything. So until they make a mini-TiBook--I don't care what color--well, okay, nothing offensive--I'll stick with the laptop I've got.

A Superdrive in the TiBook might make me reconsider that as an option, though.

Alex.
  • Reply 38 of 49
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    having spent the last two days setting up a new ibook 700 for a friend, i can say that i am in love with it. if i had the $$$, i would buy one without question. BUT...

a.) the ram allotment MUST go to 1 GB. i might not pop it in right away, but i want the option down the road to fight off obsolesence.

b.) i really want a g4, any speed. the g3, even at 700 mhz, feels sluggish at times (though it was hard to discern g3 slowdowns from hard disk paging slowdowns)

c.) graphics that allow for quartz extreme. if it's in mac os x's future, then i want my laptop built for that future.

those three things will get my cash. period. no matter what mrs. rok says.

p.s. i had been really worried that the 12.1" screen would feel cramped, but it was perfectly fine and VERY crisp, and made it feel incredibly portable - i feel like throwing it into my case (gently, or course) was a no-brainer, whereas the larger ibook and tibook require me to "lift" it. in fact, the 14.1" ibook just feels BIG, especially with all that heavy plastic.

[ 08-21-2002: Message edited by: rok ]</p>
  • Reply 39 of 49
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    The new iBook CAN run QE. It has a 16MB Mobility Radeon 2X AGP.
  • Reply 40 of 49
    [quote]Originally posted by BeNiceOrYouHaveToUseAWindowsBox:

<strong>A 800+ Mhz G3 (witch big cache 512K or more) and a Radeon 32MB (or Radeon 7500 32MB) that allows bigger reolution for external screens, that would make me buy a new iBook within seconds </strong><hr></blockquote>

The current iBook has both the chip (Radeon Mobility) and plenty VRAM plenty to support higher resolutions for external screens. The current iBook GPU has the same as specs the TiBook prior to the DVI model. The iBook is software crippled to limit the external resolution in an attempt to force users who want this feature to buy a TiBook.

There's a <a href="http://www.petitiononline.com/ibook/petition.html"; target="_blank">petition</a> to Apple to enable monitor spanning on current iBooks.