Apple Vision Pro resale prices on eBay are ridiculous

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro

As ship times continue to slip on Apple Vision Pro, resellers with confirmed early ship dates are heading to eBay to take advantage of impatient buyers.

Apple Vision Pro being resold on eBay at a premium
Apple Vision Pro being resold on eBay at a premium

On Friday, Apple opened preorders for its new spatial computing headset, the Apple Vision Pro. Unsurprisingly, ship times began slipping immediately, meaning many buyers will have to wait months to receive their devices.

As expected, those who managed to snag units with early ship dates have already taken to eBay to list their devices, offering overnight shipping for those who don't want to wait.

Of course, the prices are well over what you'd pay should you order the Vision Pro from Apple directly. Additionally, you can't customize the Vision Pro, making it risky to buy based on someone else's measurements.

If purchased from Apple, you'll have to fork over $3,499 for the base model with 256GB of storage. For 512GB, the price is $3,699, and for a 1TB edition, it's $3,899.

Prices on eBay for each model vary wildly, but currently the 256GB model seems to start at around $4,000. Buyers can expect to pay over $4,500 for the 512GB model. The 1TB model can be found starting at $5,500, though there are significantly fewer models of this capacity available.

The process for preordering Vision Pro is more involved than for any other Apple device. The ordering process requires an iPhone with Face ID, information about prescription glasses and contacts, and, if necessary, a valid, unexpired prescription from a U.S. eye-care professional.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    This is absolutely ridiculous.

Anyone who buys this on eBay because they can't wait a month or so is just stupid- and not just spending needless thousands more for an already expensive item.  You also need to have the right size light seal and straps for it to work correctly on your head. 

The straps come in the typical small, medium, large, etc,  but the seals seem to have a quite of number of variations.  (I'll find out next week.)

williamlondonForumPostAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 23
    They'll never do it, but eBay should have a moratorium on the ability to resell new devices within a few months of launch. Don't care if it's a Vision Pro, new iPhone, or the latest Xbox or Playstation console. Need to shut scalpers down.
    williamlondonForumPostnapoleon_phoneapartAlex1Nrezwitswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 23
    hmlongco said:
    They'll never do it, but eBay should have a moratorium on the ability to resell new devices within a few months of launch. Don't care if it's a Vision Pro, new iPhone, or the latest Xbox or Playstation console. Need to shut scalpers down.
    It is a purely elective purchase. No one is forced to buy it at the higher prices.
    williamlondonForumPostAlex1NStrangeDaysgrandact73
  • Reply 4 of 23
    hmlongco said:
    It is a purely elective purchase. No one is forced to buy it at the higher prices.
    And every one scalped is a device that could have been available for someone else to purchase. 

Another possibility is for Apple to require your Apple ID for purchase and then "lock" the device to that ID for a limited period of time.
    williamlondonForumPostMisterKitAlex1NMacProwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Sigh. Greed.  :(
    williamlondonAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 23
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,127member
    The Vision Pro isn't available outside the US so I suspect some of the scalping will be to devs and clients in other countries.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 7 of 23
    FuzzyDiceFuzzyDice Posts: 9unconfirmed, member
    Uh, they have almost no bids.  This thing is going to flop pretty hard, because of the lack of apps.
    williamlondongrandact73
  • Reply 8 of 23
    hmlongco said:
    hmlongco said:
    And every one scalped is a device that could have been available for someone else to purchase. 

Another possibility is for Apple to require your Apple ID for purchase and then "lock" the device to that ID for a limited period of time.
    I like the idea of locking it to an Apple ID for 45 days and doing 3-5 day returns
    Alex1Nwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 9 of 23
    It's the American way. Can't say I didn't see it coming.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 10 of 23
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    hmlongco said:
    Need to shut scalpers down.
    How exactly do you define a "scalper"? If I buy something then suddenly realize I don't need it, should the government stop me from reselling it at any price I want? Do you want everyone who sells everything to get approval first from a government agency? And do you want price controls that prevent the value of anything we own from going up? Does that apply to the value of your house, if someone offered you ten times the price that you just paid for it?

Should car dealers be prohibited from selling their cars at a higher price than MSRP? Sounds like scalping to me.

Should airlines not be able to increase the prices of their remaining available seats as the number of free seats drops? Sounds like scalping to me.

I'm not sure who should determine the value of something other than the seller and the buyer.
    jas99muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 11 of 23
    I like the idea of locking it to an Apple ID for 45 days and doing 3-5 day returns
    So I guess buying an iDevice as a gift would be out of the question...
    williamlondonjas99rezwitswatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 23
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    hmlongco said:
    How exactly do you define a "scalper"? If I buy something then suddenly realize I don't need it, should the government stop me from reselling it at any price I want? Do you want everyone who sells everything to get approval first from a government agency? And do you want price controls that prevent the value of anything we own from going up? Does that apply to the value of your house, if someone offered you ten times the price that you just paid for it?
    Pretty simply really: purchasing something with the intent to immediately resell it at a higher price without being an authorized reseller.

No government approval necessary, just massive fines for any online service that allows such transactions to occur. Force sellers to either enter an authorized reseller ID or enter the serial number of item they're selling, which can then be used to validate the date of purchase and purchase price, to ensure that it's not being sold over the MSRP within 30 days of purchase.
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 13 of 23
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    auxio said:
    hmlongco said:
    Pretty simply really: purchasing something with the intent to immediately resell it at a higher price without being an authorized reseller.

No government approval necessary, just massive fines for any online service that allows such transactions to occur. Force sellers to either enter an authorized reseller ID or enter the serial number of item they're selling, which can then be used to validate the date of purchase and purchase price, to ensure that it's not being sold over the MSRP within 30 days of purchase.
    You're a bit of a fascist.  
    jas99williamlondonrezwits
  • Reply 14 of 23
    This doesn’t make sense, after tax the Vision Pro costs around $3,800. You would have to sell it for at least $4,400 just to break even after eBay fees. 
    rezwitswatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 23
    RespiteRespite Posts: 111member
    williamh said:
    auxio said:
    hmlongco said:

You don't have the first idea what a fascist is.
    williamlondonauxiograndact73watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 23
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    FuzzyDice said:
    Uh, they have almost no bids.  This thing is going to flop pretty hard, because of the lack of apps.
    Other than most iPad apps, and running your entire Mac on it? Those apps?

Oh hey remember when iPhone launched WITHOUT AN APP STORE!

lol you dudes are always so funny
    jas99williamlondonrezwitswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 17 of 23
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member

This doesn’t make sense, after tax the Vision Pro costs around $3,800. You would have to sell it for at least $4,400 just to break even after eBay fees. 
    Yeah Ebay fees are now ridiculous — 13+% to sell my iPhone 14 Pro mint. It was stupid, I only netted $50 more than trade-in with Apple which is far easier…and I threw in accessories. Funk that. FB marketplace or Craigslist next time I guess. 
    jas99williamlondonwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 18 of 23
    well sir, the current price for a vision pro is ridiculous too, so  :#
    williamlondon
  • Reply 19 of 23
    RespiteRespite Posts: 111member
    miiwtwo said:
    well sir, the current price for a vision pro is ridiculous too, so  :#
    Can you make one for less?
    williamlondonwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 20 of 23
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    williamh said:
    auxio said:
    hmlongco said:

Not in the slightest. I'm someone who likes to cut right to the heart of what motivates people. Why not just come right out and say that you only care about yourself and amassing as much money as possible, whatever the cost? Rather than trying turn it around and hide it behind labels for others. If you have to hide your true nature, chances are you understand how much it would offend others to know it.

Happy to expose the true nature of those who believe they're entitled to profit off of something which they put zero effort into helping create, market, or otherwise add value to.
    edited January 22 muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobrajony0