Apple Vision Pro early review: a peek into the future of computing

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    nubusnubus Posts: 575member
    laytech said:
    The real future of these are being able to collaborate with another person wearing one. In other words, you can all be at a football match, in the best seats in the house, next to you are your friends that you can see as though you are there. I can imagine this would be almost as good as being at the game but in the comfort of your home without the queues getting to the game. I imagine you could probably sell tickets to these games. 
    Going through security and being seated with that monster while operating as a living camera from one angle far from action? Doesn't sound like fun or like something better than TV today. For you to record a match and distribute the signal to friends... no way NFL will allow that for free.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    "The battery is rated at 3166 mAh capacity with 35.9 Wh. That means adding an additional 10,000 mAh battery should extend battery life to about 12 hours." This is totally incorrect. Most standard powerbanks like Anker are based on 3.6v. The vision pro is at 13v. It's the total watt hrs that people need to focus on. That said a standard 10000mah power bank at 3.6v is 36Wh, but there is inefficiency battery to battery that results in some loss, so don't expect to get double the time.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 23 of 36
    XedXed Posts: 2,818member

The problem with Apple is they just don't understand pricing - never have. 
    Apple is a $3 trillion company. >

Exit stage left, sir.
    With that answer many people will see that as proof that Apple charges too much. In reality they price their products very close to the equilibrium price, if not often below it as we see with runs on supply for months at a time.
    edited February 8 williamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 36
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,918administrator
    jayschim said:
    "The battery is rated at 3166 mAh capacity with 35.9 Wh. That means adding an additional 10,000 mAh battery should extend battery life to about 12 hours." This is totally incorrect. Most standard powerbanks like Anker are based on 3.6v. The vision pro is at 13v. It's the total watt hrs that people need to focus on. That said a standard 10000mah power bank at 3.6v is 36Wh, but there is inefficiency battery to battery that results in some loss, so don't expect to get double the time.
    In actual use, 13 hours or so is what I'm getting with a 12,500 mAh battery, so.
    nubuswilliamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 36
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,043member
    these 1080p 30Hz files will also age poorly.

fyi - FPS and Hz are different things. Videos are recorded in FPS. Monitors display images in Hz. Not the same. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 26 of 36
    Great read, thanks!
    Alex_V
  • Reply 27 of 36
    RespiteRespite Posts: 111member
    Xed said:

The problem with Apple is they just don't understand pricing - never have. 
    Apple is a $3 trillion company. >

Exit stage left, sir.
    With that answer many people will see that as proof that Apple charges too much. 
    Too much for what?  It doesn't work as a logical argument that Apple have so much money that they must be setting prices higher than people can afford.
    danox
  • Reply 28 of 36
    Alex_VAlex_V Posts: 238member
    Apple is an exceptionally profitable company with the highest margins in the industry. They achieve this by making sure that they profit from everything that they do. So, when Apple launches a completely new product, they do so at a premium price by selling to the so-called early adopters, to recover the development costs as quickly as possible. Apple threw everything at this device: a massive R&D effort to achieve this extraordinary complex yet polished device. The result is they have left every similar product from their competitors in the dust. Sony and Meta engineers (etc) must be avoiding each other’s eyes, because of the humiliation they’re suffering by this launch from Apple. Be sure that affordable models will follow. Apple tell us in the product designation: ‘Apple Vision Pro’ — to be followed by ‘Apple Vision’ (and maybe an ‘Apple Vision Air,’ who knows…) Producing affordable models in future (made possible by reusing parts, tech and manufacturing etc.) depends on the foundations laid by the success of this premium model. 
  • Reply 29 of 36
    the only problem for now; the price, Apple have to drop it or put a "cheaper" model, 1000-2000 range i think and very soon  B)
    williamlondon
  • Reply 30 of 36
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,965member
    I generally think Apple products are very overpriced, and have been for some years now.

In this particular case, numerous factors put it into a new situation for Apple. 

As the reviews come in it's becoming clear that it doesn't fit the 'Apple only releases something when it's fully baked' line that some people insist on over and over.

It's also clear that the other common line to justify the lack of a truly competitive Apple product on the market doesn't fit either. That it only produces something if it can manufacture in the millions.

It's clear that neither of those two apply here but I have no problem with it hitting the market now. 

Those claims were never ever true anyway. 

It's also clear that the device is not what some were expecting (released early or not) even though those expectations were probably way too high in the first place. 

There could be many reasons this product came to market and I think there is some truth in all the most common theories. 

I think Cook wanted a legacy product under his belt to call his own baby. I think XR is a natural line of progression for the converging product lines. The ICT industry is plumbing the communications world with the hardware/software necessary to make the technology ubiquitous and from there, more consumer friendly. 

In that context it is logical that such products will eventually gain traction and acceptance. No one has ever doubted that. 

Everyone in the industry is on the same train here. Apple isn't creating anything truly new in this case. It's putting a carriage on the train. A glitzy one but that's fine. 

It's the top specced carriage on the train and that explains the price tag. 

To me it doesn't matter if it's a bit rough around the edges even at the price. That's the whole point of pushing the specs to the limit. 

The good news, and this is true of everything, is that things will get better and there is no better place than a real world setting to see how things perform. 

I've said it a few times now. My wife would sit down with her Quest and love the 'cinema' options alone. Even with the relatively poor quality of the images. 

A higher resolution device (VP) would be perfect for her and that's without even considering the other options. 

Of course, there is no way we'd pay 4,000€ for the opportunity but that is up to the individual to decide and that option can only exist if the product is actually there to purchase. 

That's why I'm not saying this particular example is overpriced. I understand that these specs are the higher end of options on the cost side. Apple may or may not be making much of a profit off it. A BOM will appear at some time and we'll find out but it should be clear to most people that there is no way this device could be produced with Quest pricing. And if anyone soups the specs up, prices will rise with them. 

I think a lower specced Quest style competitor from Apple will come at some point. Logically Apple couldn't release that kind of device first. It is also possible that competitors will super spec their existing devices to see how they perform in market terms. 

Especially as we get nearer to 5.5G (2025) which is when we can expect more higher end devices appearing to make use of it. 

The last two editions of MWC have had major demos of headset based technologies. MWC2024 will be no different. 

With all that in mind, I'm happy the device is in the hands of early adopters willing to pay the asking price, which, for once I have no qualms with. 

• Reply 31 of 36
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,526member
    Thank you for this very thorough review! 

I think it's funny that you AI guys perceive yourselves to have such radically different views of AVP. I don't actually think you do. Rather, I think you just have different tones when discussing it. It's like you agree totally on how many milliliters of water are present in the glass, it's just the narratives you use to describe it are different. The author of this piece is a half glass full guy (that's my personal tendency, too), other authors are more Eeyore types. It's like writing an AVP review is a personality test. 

In reading this (and other) reviews, my views of this device are confirmed/reinforced. There's no way I'm buying this thing in its current form, but I'm excited to see what it evolves into. 

I've also noted among comments in various threads on this that many people lack the cognitive capacity to hold both positive and negative views of something in their minds at the same time, or to understand that others have that ability. And that makes them angry. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,918administrator
    blastdoor said:
    Thank you for this very thorough review! 

I think it's funny that you AI guys perceive yourselves to have such radically different views of AVP. I don't actually think you do. Rather, I think you just have different tones when discussing it. It's like you agree totally on how many milliliters of water are present in the glass, it's just the narratives you use to describe it are different. The author of this piece is a half glass full guy (that's my personal tendency, too), other authors are more Eeyore types. It's like writing an AVP review is a personality test. 

In reading this (and other) reviews, my views of this device are confirmed/reinforced. There's no way I'm buying this thing in its current form, but I'm excited to see what it evolves into. 

I've also noted among comments in various threads on this that many people lack the cognitive capacity to hold both positive and negative views of something in their minds at the same time, or to understand that others have that ability. And that makes them angry. 
    The bolded has been a problem here effectively forever. We also run into issues because folks want to be validated with their purchase choices, and we don't always do that.

As always, my advice has always been to find a reviewer whose opinions on knowns dovetail with yours as much as possible, and take their purchase suggestions. Contrary opinions are good, but different life experiences and different viewpoints will lead to different conclusions. Not universally wrong ones, just different ones.
    nubus
  • Reply 33 of 36
    Hello from “The Blackrock”, a pub in Blackrock, Dublin, Ireland. 

Maybe it’s the pint talking (careful - it’s only been the one) but that review was excellent. Thorough, balanced, conscious that what was being reviewed is just the first public iteration of an emergent tech. The result of a lot of thought and, clearly, years of experience. 

Your writing evoked, oddly, Carl Sagan: 

“The surface of the Earth is the shore of the cosmic ocean. On this shore, we've learned most of what we know. Recently, we've waded a little way out, maybe ankle-deep, and the water seems inviting.”

You’ve splashed around in the water for us and made it seem more inviting. Thank you. 
    danoxAlex_V13485
  • Reply 34 of 36
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,271member
    Want to buy an Apple Vision in the future save and invest now Apple, Microsoft, and Monster Drink are very good places to start now. 
  • Reply 35 of 36
    nubusnubus Posts: 575member
    blastdoor said:

Reading to get confirmed is one way of doing it, and it is very human to take a decision and stick with it. Nearly half the car buyers only try one brand before making a purchase. And having bought a make + model + trim level it seems 80% do post-purchase rationalization. Religion and a lot of politicians wouldn't stand a chance if our brains didn't work like that.

Back with Newton we believed "this is the next thing" as Apple had delivered the previous user interface shift. We were blinded by bias. A few have bought AVP, more have Apple stocks, and to some Apple is a religion - and to a lot of those failure of AVR is not an option. But these things do fail. Apple tried to reinvent how we work with documents (OpenDoc), browsing (Apple HotSauce), mail/communication (AOCE), G4 Cube,... huge efforts that all failed. Segway, 3D TV..

Be smart, keep reading other viewpoints, and don't get entrenched.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 36 of 36
    1348513485 Posts: 362member
    Xed said:
    Apple is already at work on a contact lens version
    Link?
    In 2016, Apple was talking to a smart contact lens company. Nothing seems to have come of it yet, but it seems inevitable and not soon at the same time.

Agreed. But that USB-C battery cable is going to be damned irritating.