Sketchy rumor claims Apple has given up on folding iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 16

A muddled and entirely unverifiable rumor claims that Apple has been testing other manufacturer's folding phones and decided to put the iPhone Fold on hold.

The 'iPhone Fold' is expected to take design cues from existing Apple products
The 'iPhone Fold' is expected to take design cues from existing Apple products

Following reports that Apple is working on two prototype ideas for a foldable iPhone, a new claim says it isn't. The claim from a leaker on Chinese social media site Weibo says both that Apple is accelerating its research, and that it has also given up for now.

Weibo user Fixed Focus Digital, explains that Apple has bought several existing folding phones to test. Perhaps the report is unclear because of machine translation, but it seems to say that at least one of these rival phones broke within a few days of Apple buying it for testing.

Fixed Focus Digital goes on to say that Samsung's folding screen isn't able to meet Apple's requirements. It's not clear whether this is still in a rival folding phone or another part of Apple testing.

It's no surprise that a folding phone will fail under testing, because they will specifically be tested to the point of failure. That Apple would conclude it wasn't worth pursuing the idea if Samsung, for instance, can't make an unbreakable folding phone seems less likely.

Nothing in the report can be verified and Fixed Focus Digital does not appear to have any track record in Apple leaks.

Separately, Apple has a history of patents regarding aspects of a folding iPhone, including one regarding a screen that will not crease in use.

It's now almost five years since Samsung launched its Galaxy Fold phone, although initial reviews concentrated on how the screen was fragile. Apple has arguably been under pressure to compete ever since, and Samsung has improved its designs.

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has predicted a 2024 launch for the iPhone fold, but other sources predict it being announced in 2025. It's also possible that Apple is instead looking to replace the iPad mini with a folding iPad.

Rumor Score: Possible

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Those of us old enough to remember the day when most cell phones only folded.    In retrospect what made those phones special was the all week battery life,  light weight and pocketability.  The downside was of course the miniscule screen

I'm not sure today's phone becomes magical because it folds.  It's still going to have the same battery life issues,   it's still going to be the same weight.    The next major phone revision will harken back to yesteryear with a really small phone that has a very small scree because most of our interaction with the phone will be voice enabled.   It will give many mobile users want. The Halcyonic days of getting your first V Series Motorola and how it disappeared in your pocket.  

It would be wise of Apple to skate to where the puck is going and not expend engineering effort on a stop gap solution. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 19
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,253member
    I don’t want a folding phone. How would a folding phone work for people using it for productive tasks, like videography or even photography other than selfies? My iPhone is thick enough, I wouldn’t want something thicker. It’s a gimmick to satisfy kids.  I want a good screen, not a flexible screen that will end up breaking in half. 
    stevenozwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Apple testing can be tough. I can still remember an Apple Radar entry (internal) where en external QA Manager from a large Intel MoBo Manufacturer complained: In our company that board would have been on the market for the last six months ... but alas Apple still want's some more quality testing.  That was for the very first released Apple Intel Machine (not the Hardware Development Kit)

Why would that be any different with the foldable display nowadays which inherently has more failure modes even under regular usage?
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 19
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    I'll join the chorus here in saying this is one thing I do not need. What I do sorta need is my iPhone to have a hardware lens cap. I have perhaps the best camera in the world in my pocket rolling around, and it would be nice to have some protection over those lenses. Make it elegant too: the hard cover opens with software activation; closes when I'm done. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 19
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,011member
    We've been over this. There is a very low probability that Apple would make a folding iPhone. It's a novelty concept. It would add expense, introduce structural weakness, increase warranty claims, lower customer satisfaction, and add software bloat to configure and run a second screen, and depending on the folding configuration, a different screen dimension. Given the fact that people typically check and fiddle with their iPhones hundreds of times per day, it is a 100% certainty that damage and wear to the screen and folding hardware would result in high failure rates that may be ho-hum for Samsung but would be a certified front-page class-action lawsuit scandal when it's about an Apple product.

Apple doesn't chase "me too" bells and whistles, particularly when the risk/reward calculation would be this dire. 

If a folding screen comes out of Cupertino, it will be on an iPad, where the portability advantage would be real, software bloat for extra/nonstandard screens would be unnecessary, and risk of damage from wear or mechanical failure much lower, because iPads are a much less fiddly device that would be folded and unfolded by users a small fraction of the number of times compared to a phone.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Totally anecdotal, I've yet to see any folding phone in public. I've seen more flip phones particularly with the elderly but folding...zip.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 19
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    I’ve seen a couple three of these in person now and each of them looked like shit. Half falling apart, heinous, crunchy creasing down the middle of the screen. It’s a gimmicky turd of an idea with no real-world benefits. 

Look no further than VisionPro for Apple’s (future) solution to a bigger screen on-the-go.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 19
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,011member
    cesco said:
    Totally anecdotal, I've yet to see any folding phone in public. I've seen more flip phones particularly with the elderly but folding...zip.
    I've seen one. Its owner handed it to me and said, "Look at that. It folds!" I looked at it, unfolded and folded it, looked it over again, returned it and politely said, "Huh. Well that's cool." I wasn't able to see any immediate functional utility to the feature, and its owner really didn't volunteer anything. Not wanting to be rude, I didn't question him further about it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 19
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,874member
    Apple folding iPhone a class lawsuit waiting to happen......
    edited February 16 stevenozwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Given how often many people glance at their phones and how much additional hassle opening up a folding phone would be, I doubt the idea of a folding phone makes much sense.

Apple might be better advised to adopt a different idea, one that'd allow them to offer a larger-screen option—either folding or not—to all their latest model iPhones. The larger screen be a wireless extension of the existing screen much like people add an additional display to a MacBook. The usual UI would work with it just like on the iPhone itself, so the learning curve would be easy.
    edited February 16 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 19
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    inkling said:
    Given how often many people glance at their phones and how much additional hassle opening up a folding phone would be, I doubt the idea of a folding phone makes much sense.

Apple might be better advised to adopt a different idea, one that'd allow them to offer a larger-screen option—either folding or not—to all their latest model iPhones. The larger screen be a wireless extension of the existing screen much like people add an additional display to a MacBook. The usual UI would work with it just like on the iPhone itself, so the learning curve would be easy.
    I'm not sure I follow what you are saying but current folding phones have an 'external' screen for regular phone use (glancing, and regular everyday things) and then the bigger folded out screen for multi-screen, multi-tasking and where a bigger screen is preferable.

On the flip side, the exterior screen is more for glancing and quick interactions and the flipped out option is for regular use. 

I currently have the option of the wireless connection to a tablet (fixed size) where a tap of phone-to-tablet using NFC connects the two.

I used it yesterday for a mobile Google Meet session where the other party had to share a laptop screen with me. Better to view on the tablet. 

I thought the same functionality was available on an iPhone/iPad combo so that's another reason I think I may be misunderstanding you.

What I did yesterday got me out of a pickle but I needed two devices. A folding phone would have allowed me to do the same in a far smaller package. 

The downside, today, is that it would cost me twice as much as the phone/tablet combo. 
  • Reply 12 of 19
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    rob53 said:
    I don’t want a folding phone. How would a folding phone work for people using it for productive tasks, like videography or even photography other than selfies? My iPhone is thick enough, I wouldn’t want something thicker. It’s a gimmick to satisfy kids.  I want a good screen, not a flexible screen that will end up breaking in half. 
    Probably much better for those tasks on a folding phone. Bigger screen to work from. More space for tool panels etc. Multitasking... 

Folding phones are already almost on par with regular phones for thickness. 
  • Reply 13 of 19
    I so no reason to invest on that now that. vision pro is here.

They should invest every penny on making it lighter and more powerful, and cheaper of course.

I wouldn't need an iPhone if the vision pro becomes more wearable.
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 19
    I saw a folding phone in the "wild" for the first time the other day. The person that had it was not trying to show off the phone -- they were just showing me a picture. It came and went fairly quickly, so I don't even know what brand/model it was.

While the color and black level were good, the screen itself was not perfectly flat -- it was a bit "ripply" looking. The hinge area was very prominent even when opened all the way. The additional screen real estate was kinda nice, but when folded, it was really thick too. Maybe there are good folding phones out there, but this certainly wasn't one of them. Overall, I did not like it. 

As others have suggested, I do think a folding screen makes more sense on tablets or laptops, but execution is key and cost should be kept in check before I would consider one.

edited February 16 muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 19
    I also personally don‘t feel the need for a foldable phone currently. The appeal is obvious for people who are wishing for even larger displays. However that’s not for me; I‘d still like to see an iPhone Pro Mini sort of device. 
    Now where I could imagine this technology is for a compact and portable iPad mini with the option of doubling its screen estate. If I’d be actually buying something like that I don’t know yet. That usecase just seems way more interesting to me.
    edited February 17 watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 19
    cesco said:
    I have once seen a Samsung Z Fold in the wild. A guy at the train station used it to enlarge his TikTok viewing experience.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    The idea of a folding phone itself is sketchy.  I never saw Apple going for this silly idea.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 19
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    Those of us old enough to remember the day when most cell phones only folded.    In retrospect what made those phones special was the all week battery life,  light weight and pocketability.  The downside was of course the miniscule screen

I'm not sure today's phone becomes magical because it folds.  It's still going to have the same battery life issues,   it's still going to be the same weight.    The next major phone revision will harken back to yesteryear with a really small phone that has a very small scree because most of our interaction with the phone will be voice enabled.   It will give many mobile users want. The Halcyonic days of getting your first V Series Motorola and how it disappeared in your pocket.  

It would be wise of Apple to skate to where the puck is going and not expend engineering effort on a stop gap solution. 
    Never mind the fact that smart phones have a camera two cameras 1000x better than that flip phone. And you can make video calls. And check your email. And surf the web. And use it as a music/podcast player. And connect it to your car. And use maps/GPS on it...

• Reply 19 of 19
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    Recognizing that this is a rumor about a rumor...I've read some other articles that indicated reliability as the primary reason Apple was abandoning folding phones, something I can totally believe. Apple is far more concerned with having a product that lives up to its standards than having a gimmick. 

As far as what use a folding phone would be, It depends on the user. I think for some it would bridge the gap between an iPhone and an iPad, but that's very user dependent. It also very much depends on how well it's designed and how well iOS takes advantage of the larger screen. 

couscous said:
    cesco said:
    I have once seen a Samsung Z Fold in the wild. A guy at the train station used it to enlarge his TikTok viewing experience.
    Now there's a good use! /s