Apple AI, visionOS 2.0, iOS 18: What to expect from Apple during WWDC 2024 on June 10

Posted:
in iOS edited March 26

Apple will be holding WWDC 2024 from June 10, showing off its future operating system updates and maybe even new hardware. This is what has been rumored so far.

WWDC 2024 logos
WWDC 2024 logos

Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference is the company's opportunity to talk about future software and hardware changes happening to its many different platforms.

Usually held in early June, the event has pivoted from a chiefly in-person gathering to a heavily online experience. One that helps developers know what's on the horizon, and how to code apps to take advantage of the inbound new technologies.

The event is chiefly one that concentrates on software, specifically Apple's major operation system releases that will arrive in the fall alongside new iPhone models. However, it is also known to be the venue for Apple to introduce new hardware, too.

With the launch of the Apple Vision Pro earlier in 2024, as well as major changes to iOS 17 to deal with European legislation, this year's WWDC should be one that all should pay attention to.

Naturally, the rumor mill is offering expectations of what Apple will unveil during the event. This is what has been rumored by various leakers and reports, months ahead of the event itself.

When will WWDC 2024 happen?

On March 26, Apple confirmed it will be holding WWDC starting from June 10, with the event running until June 14.

The announced date pretty much follows Apple's usual pattern of holding it in early June. The exception since 2007 is 2020, which was held in late June.

Chiefly held as a virtual conference since the COVID-19 pandemic, Apple has taken steps to bring the human element back to the event. Like the last few years, Apple is holding an all-day event at Apple Park on Monday, June 10.

That in-person event will include a viewing party for the Keynote, meetings with Apple experts, and other special activities, all held at Apple Park.

Software - iOS 18, iPadOS 18, macOS 15, tvOS 18, watchOS 11, visionOS 2

With software the main reason for WWDC's existence, and following Apple's previous WWDC announcements, Apple's next batch of operating systems will be the big draw for the event.

As per Apple's usual naming conventions, these should be called iOS 18, iPadOS 18, tvOS 18, and watchOS 11. While we know macOS will be version 15 this time around, we won't know the name followup to Sonoma until the main keynote.

Operating system updates for all of Apple's hardware will be previewed at WWDC
Operating system updates for all of Apple's hardware will be previewed at WWDC

There is one more operating system that will feature: visionOS.

The Apple Vision Pro operating system is still at version 1, and has undergone numerous changes in its relatively short lifespan so far. Apple will certainly address visionOS during the event, likely with a shift to version 2.

Apple AI and accessibility changes

Early rumors from October put forward the narrative that the release of iOS 18 will be more focused on artificial intelligence than Apple initially anticipated. This has apparently included the creation of an internal chatbot titled "Apple GPT" and trials of generative AI for internal customer care tools.

For iOS 18 specifically, there is the belief that Apple will be incorporating AI into its various services, such as helping users write in Pages or create slides in Keynote.

Siri will naturally be boosted by this work, including improvements in how Siri fields questions and how Messages auto-completes sentences.

For developers, this AI work can include assistance in the Xcode development environment, with the use of AI to predict and complete blocks of code. This could streamline coding for developers, and may even help with tedious tasks such as generating code for testing applications.

Xcode could gain AI smarts at WWDC 2024
Xcode could gain AI smarts at WWDC 2024

These AI changes may even spread to Apple's iWork app collection, after buying some related domains. Apple researchers have even created tools for generating images, both in static and animated forms.

There have also been rumors that Apple could be offering more than just its own AI features in its future operating systems. Various commentators believe Apple has been in talks with multiple companies in the AI field to potentially offer access to AI apps in an enhanced AI App Store.

Apple has also reportedly talked to Google and Baidu to potentially assist with its AI processing.

In March, a rumor about inbound accessibility features in iOS 18 and macOS 15 said elements such as Voice Shortcuts that map accessibility features to spoken phrases could be on the way. Live Speech and Personal Voice for Live Speech could gain categories, helping users find frequently used phrases faster.

Increased font controls across the operating systems will also help users adjust the font sizes in multiple apps at once, rather than requiring things to be changed on a per-app basis.

Apple may also introduce more customization options to the home screen in iOS 18, though exactly what that entails hasn't been proposed in rumors.

As for which devices should run iOS 18, one leaker claims that it will be identical to iOS 17. For iPad OS, it allegedly won't support the A10X Fusion chip or earlier, reducing the iPad list that will support it.

If true, iPadOS will run on iPad Pro models released in 2018 or later, the iPad Air and iPad mini from 2019, and iPad models from 2020 onward.

On the more unlikely side, there were claims that Apple was making iOS 18 look more like visionOS. A February report doubted this would happen, but that iOS changes would still be "ambitious and compelling."

Hardware - New Macs

Though chiefly software-based, Apple does make major hardware announcements that are more aimed at developers than consumers. This usually means upgrades to items like the Mac Studio and Mac Pro.

Rumors have claimed that an updated Mac Studio with the M3 Ultra will arrive in the middle of 2024, which would line up with an announcement at WWDC.

Mac Studio could gain M3 Ultra updates at WWDC
Mac Studio could gain M3 Ultra updates at WWDC

If previous iterations are anything to go by, the M3 Ultra will effectively be two M3 Max chips attached by an interconnect. That means it will have double the individual chip components than the M3 Max chip.

While there have been murmurs about the Mac Studio being updated, the same cannot be said about the Mac Pro.

One December report said Apple could bring out an update to both Mac Studio and Mac Pro toward the end of 2024, meaning they could miss WWDC entirely. However, January's report about the Mac Studio leaves out any mention of the Mac Pro at all.

Given Apple's update to the Mac Pro was considered a massive fumble by the company, Apple has both a reason to update the Mac Pro to win back users, and to leave it alone for a while and to focus on Mac Studio.

WWDC is also a venue for introducing entirely new product categories, which in 2023 consisted of the Apple Vision Pro. At this early stage, it seems unlikely that any major changes will be introduced to the headset, but it will probably be discussed at some point.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    Not much has been said about the Apple Watch besides a possible redesign. How much of an os change can they do?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 27
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,874member
    Not much has been said about the Apple Watch besides a possible redesign. How much of an os change can they do?
    Iteration like a Porsche 911 is what you are going to get from Apple.... If you want a restart every 3-5 years get a Corvette. Imagine what could have been had GM iterated from a 1965 String Ray.....
    9secondkox2canukstormbandits1watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 27
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,727member
    danox said:
    Iteration like a Porsche 911 is what you are going to get from Apple.... If you want a restart every 3-5 years get a Corvette. Imagine what could have been had GM iterated from a 1965 String Ray.....
    boom. Exactly. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 27
    The people who consider the Mac Pro a massive fumble are not the target market and do not understand why the machine exists at all. Apple was never going to make a direct replacement for the x86 Mac Pro.

The current Mac Pro exists only to host Avid HDX cards for ProTools and to host 8K video acquisition cards from AJA or Blackmagic Design.

The instant that neither of those applications need an internal PCI-E slot then the Mac Pro goes away for good.
    Alex1Nrezwitswilliamlondon9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 27
    CuJoYYCCuJoYYC Posts: 84member
    My money is on Oxnard as a followup to Sonoma. Any takers?
    VictorMortimerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 27
    What I'd really want is a AI or something that is easy to use to manage mail and messages. At least beef up ShortCuts a lot to be able to work with mail and messages. Please add the rest of the iWork apps with robust ShortCuts. ShortCuts has a lot of potential, but is stuck with the iOS mentality and is no replacement for AppleScript.

The Mac Pro wasn't a massive failure, except for two camps, those needing to add GPUs and those needing massive amounts of memory. Apple has yet to allow eGPUs for ASi Macs, and without a change in the chip(s), may not ever allow eGPUs or GPUs. Memory is probably doable, though I'm not sure there is enough of a market. This isn't the trash can Mac. It has lots of cooling, slots to add cards and you can add lots of internal storage. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 27
    keithwkeithw Posts: 141member
    Looking forward to the M3 Mac Studio (probably Ultra) so I can finally retire my 2017 iMac Pro.
    jibrezwitsdave marshwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 27
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,874member
    What I'd really want is a AI or something that is easy to use to manage mail and messages. At least beef up ShortCuts a lot to be able to work with mail and messages. Please add the rest of the iWork apps with robust ShortCuts. ShortCuts has a lot of potential, but is stuck with the iOS mentality and is no replacement for AppleScript.

The Mac Pro wasn't a massive failure, except for two camps, those needing to add GPUs and those needing massive amounts of memory. Apple has yet to allow eGPUs for ASi Macs, and without a change in the chip(s), may not ever allow eGPUs or GPUs. Memory is probably doable, though I'm not sure there is enough of a market. This isn't the trash can Mac. It has lots of cooling, slots to add cards and you can add lots of internal storage. 

I hope that Apple will stop leaving servers on the table and leverage the full benefit of Apple Silicon, the low power/wattage, speed, UMA memory combined with a OS optimized to the hardware just screams out, the M3 Studio Ultra with 256 gigs or a Mac M3 Extreme Pro tower with 512 gigs just says welcome to the world of inference on the Mac. Apple has the tools (know how/capability) in house but will they use them in this area?

https://om.co/2023/10/30/apple-launches-m3-chips-with-ai/

https://creativestrategies.com/apple-silicon-and-the-mac-in-the-age-of-ai/
    VictorMortimerrezwitswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 27
    danox said:

I hope that Apple will stop leaving servers on the table and leverage the full benefit of Apple Silicon, the low power/wattage, speed, UMA memory combined with a OS optimized to the hardware just screams out, the M3 Studio Ultra with 256 gigs or a Mac M3 Extreme Pro tower with 512 gigs just says welcome to the world of inference on the Mac. Apple has the tools (know how/capability) in house but will they use them in this area?

https://om.co/2023/10/30/apple-launches-m3-chips-with-ai/

https://creativestrategies.com/apple-silicon-and-the-mac-in-the-age-of-ai/

No.  They won't.

Apple left small business hanging out to dry.  If they got back in the server business today it would be a decade before anybody trusted them again.

It's still astonishing to me that a company that got to #3 on the TOP500 would, 20 years later, not even have a single machine that's really suitable for server use, and would have completely ditched everyone who trusted their business to Mac servers.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    chelgrian said:
    The people who consider the Mac Pro a massive fumble are not the target market and do not understand why the machine exists at all. Apple was never going to make a direct replacement for the x86 Mac Pro.

The current Mac Pro exists only to host Avid HDX cards for ProTools and to host 8K video acquisition cards from AJA or Blackmagic Design.

The instant that neither of those applications need an internal PCI-E slot then the Mac Pro goes away for good.
    That's a massive fumble on Apple's part.

Lots of people needed a direct replacement for the x86 Mac Pro.  Apple left so many sales on the table with the piece of junk they released.
    muthuk_vanalingam9secondkox2danox
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Oh, and WWDC 2024?

New emojis.

A bunch of useless crap 'features' that nobody needs or wants.

"Our biggest release of ... ever!"

Things moving around in System Settings for no reason, making them even harder to find.  I know, sounds impossible now, but Apple will pull it off.

Another small but useful feature gone forever.  Probably not on the level of scroll arrows, but something will be missing, and it will be infuriating.

And bugs.  Lots and lots of bugs.  Old bugs that never got fixed, new bugs that will drive us nuts next year.
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 12 of 27
    looks whats new present by apple, i think this time apple may introduce AI feature in new iPhone & iOS 18.

https://futuretechinfo.net/looking-forward-to-ios-18-features-i-want-and-whats-known/

https://futuretechinfo.net/
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 27
    I hope superpowered Siri is not restricted to the M3 chip. I have an M2 and I have been waiting for Siri to be updated for many years. Come on Apple, so have many other people been waiting and to restrict it to the newest device would be a really bad look. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Every year, we get reports of the biggest change and a lot of "inside rumors" that there will be a big update.
    But at the end, we have had much the same with the odd tweak. 

I hope iOS18 will be different. 
    I also ask if all rumors will be implemented within iOS18.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 15 of 27
    I’m hoping Apple will release the promised prism/double vision fix for visionOS so I can start using my Vision Pro properly.  It’s tedious using its interface with one eye closed to identify targets.   Just let me adjust the angle of one screen up/down/left/right to bring it into sync with my other eye.
    edited March 26 watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 27
    keithw said:
    Looking forward to the M3 Mac Studio (probably Ultra) so I can finally retire my 2017 iMac Pro.
    And then the Ultra iMac comes out. LOL
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 27
    chelgrian said:

Incorrect. I am the target market and don't want anything to do with it. nor do most of the folks I work with in multimedia. When you put on major events with countless led walls, live audio/video inputs and outputs, motion graphics, live streaming, recording, etc. you have a lot to contend with and the extensible nature of the Mac Pro is necessary. However, with the Mac Pro, you expect to get a lot more performance for that money, not just a Mac Studio with slots. Ended up using external i/o boxes and multiple systems. and they get cranky. The 2019 Mac Pro was awesome for its day and did everything with excellence. While the new one will surely do as well as a Mac Studio, it will not exceed it. We need the most Apple can give us, whether that be some mythological "Extreme" chip or multiple SOCs, not to mention plenty more RAM. 

For graphic design, video editing, etc. The Mac Studio works great.Still waiting on an iMac Pro or such as that would be a much better solution for an increasingly crowded studio, but the Mac Studio is fine. For pushing things to beyond the next level in live events? A true Mac Pro would be most appreciated.
    edited March 26 watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 27
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    chelgrian said:

It makes you wonder why they bother with the tower and not just concentrate on the Rackmount. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 27

Yes we all watch MKBHD.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    lwiolwio Posts: 110member
    Maybe they will get working properly. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra