Anyone interested in a LCD, SuperDrive iMac?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The low-down:

800MHz, SuperDrive, 512MB RAM, 60GB hard drive, OS X 10.2.5, Apple Pro Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers. With original box, packing materials, manuals, discs, etc.

It's in EXCELLENT condition. Pretty much been on a desk in an apartment all this time.

Brand new motherboard (due to a replaced USB port), so in some ways it's only like a month old (even though I bought it in March 2002).

Feel free to e-mail me directly for further info or to make an offer.

If this thread is in any sort of violation (was always hazy on these "for sale" rules and which exact forum it goes in...), then I apologize in advance. Lock 'er up if you need to...I understand

But I wanted to give my AI buddies a shot before I had to deal with eBay or any local riff-raff of the "ah'll give ye $75 an' a lawnmower engine for it, sumbitch..." variety.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    No problemo dude, GD is the place for these threads.

Load it up with Illustrator tutorials and it'll fetch a mint.

• Reply 2 of 23
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    For some reason I find it funny that Murbot responded first
  • Reply 3 of 23
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Damn, Paul, where were ya two months ago?

I ordered this exact machine for a client from MacWarehouse... he needed an OS 9 machine, PageMaker's his primary app, and he's way too old school for OS X (although it's on his 12" PowerBook so he's learning here and there).

And now the inevitable inquiry: Why ya sellin it dude?
  • Reply 4 of 23
    I'm guessing iBook.

• Reply 5 of 23
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    Maybe I can find a buyer for you. I know someone that wants a new computer but doesn't want to pay for a new one. Only they are PC people...maybe...how much you want for it?
  • Reply 6 of 23
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i hate to be a moron if this is obvious to everyone else, but i loaded up on "perfect" margahritas (sp?) tonight. one of the very few items that actually lived up to its name.

anyway, is that a 15" or 17" model?
  • Reply 7 of 23
    March 2002... 15"

mmmmmmmmargaritas!

• Reply 8 of 23
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    Do you have AppleCare on it or is the warranty expired?
  • Reply 9 of 23
    [dumb ass assuming post removed]

• Reply 10 of 23
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Actually, seb, I had my iMac repaired about 2-3 weeks before my warranty expired. So, in Luca's thread I was praising the virtues of having a warranty.

However, in my particular case - cheap as I've been lately - I've let it expire. Partly for financial reasons, partly because I knew I wasn't going to own this iMac for the remainder of 2003.

So yeah, AppleCare does rock. But in my situation, I - perhaps foolishly - decided against it.

So no, no AppleCare. It lapsed last month.

But for what it's worth, this has been a total joy: not a single problem with it. That piece that broke off was a mystery and I'd never had something like that happen before or since, so...

SuperDrive works great (I burn music mix CDs ALL THE TIME), no dead pixels, I routinely have Mail, Safari, iTunes, Sherlock, Suitcase, Illustrator 10 and Photoshop 7 all up and running at the same time with 512MB RAM and it all just zips along nicely. Occasionally, I'll add SnapzPro X or iChat to the list of "always open apps" too.

Never had a kernal panic (did I spell that right?), never had any crashes or freezes or other major "voodoo".

It's probably the most perfect, hassle-free Mac I've ever used, personal or workplace.

It's just not very luggable and I don't want to tote it around because it's a bit heavy and awkward.

• Reply 11 of 23
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Never had a kernal panic (did I spell that right?),

No, it's a kernel.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

But I wanted to give my AI buddies a shot...

Realizing in advance that you probably would want to shoot me, could I still be considered an AI buddy?

• Reply 13 of 23
    Everyone here is my buddy. I can separate "passionate posting" from "real life" and all. Just because I think you're completely nuts and wrong about everything doesn't mean I want to shoot you.

You're welcome to ask questions or make offers as much as anyone. Wanna buy it?

• Reply 14 of 23
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Wanna buy it?

I know someone considering an iMac purchase and I'll pass the info along tonight. Nothing to get excited about though. Definitely not excited enough to shoot.

• Reply 15 of 23
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    ah'll give ye $75 an' a lawnmower engine for it

Lol hope ya sell it soon
  • Reply 16 of 23
    AARRGGGHHHHH!!!

Thanks.

And thanks, bunge, for passing the word to your friend. I'll try to control any trigger-happy impulses.

• Reply 17 of 23
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    i once read eternal friendship was pricless

...so with that in mind

how much are you looking to sell it for?
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Can I get back to you in a bit on that? Let me browse around, check some places, do some looking, etc.

I know what it was when I bought it ($1799) and I know what they go for now. I'm not interested in taking a complete beating on it, so...

It's got the extra RAM in it and the SuperDrive, so I shouldn't give it away. And I'm not desperate, so I really don't have to.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    if you have a chance PM me with a price, might be interested. have to see how car repairs turn out. i might be able to do them myself, i might not. depends on the answer.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Bump for a stellar AI member.