Apple's iPad upgrades march Lightning one step closer to death

Posted:
in iPad

After 11 years, 6 months, and 5 days of valiant charging and data service, the Lightning port is no longer on any iPad that Apple sells.

Close-up of a smartphone's home button on a textured surface.
You'll never see it again -- a Lightning port on an iPad

It's easy to be glad about the move to USB-C for Apple devices, because it's (usually) faster, and because now USB-C is in the iPhone, the iPad, and a MacBook Pro can be charged over USB-C. Even the Siri Remote for Apple TV 4K is now USB-C.

That has taken a long time -- the iPad Pro moved from Lightning to USB-C in October 2018. It's possible that Apple would have kept the Lightning port for even longer, at least on the iPhone, if it were for the EU introducing laws mandating USB-C.

But step back to 2012 and the moment that tiny Lightning replaced the comparatively enormous 30-pin connector that had been in use since the original iPhone five years before. There was no question but that Lightning was a great improvement -- but not everyone saw it the way Apple did.

"[The] new Lightning connector... is smaller, smarter and more durable than the previous connector," said Apple in its press release for the first device to get it, the iPhone 5. "The all-digital Lightning connector features an adaptive interface that uses only the signals that each accessory requires, and it's reversible so you can instantly connect to your accessories."

A man presenting a large, close-up display of a white cable connector on a stage.
Phil Schiller introduces Lightning in 2012

But it wasn't reversible in the sense that you could go back to your 30-pin connector accessories, at least not without Apple's handily sold-separately Lightning-to-30-pin Adapter.

Accessories were one of the reasons why Lightning was grumbled about at first. It's true that people needed to upgrade to newer accessories sooner than they wanted, and there was an argument that Apple should have adopted a standard, like micro USB.

But there was also the issue that there just weren't as many accessories around that supported Lightning. The New York Times said that was because Apple had used the move to Lightning to tighten its grip on the accessories market.

"The proprietary chip makes it more difficult for accessory makers to produce cheap knockoff products that are compatible with Lightning, which could potentially tarnish the iPhone brand," said the paper in 2013. "Also, it pushes accessory makers to pay Apple the licensing fees to be part of the MFi [Made for iPhone] program."

So Apple was protecting users from knockoffs, and also getting some cash for it. Nobody ever said Apple couldn't make money from doing the right thing.

Except even if you shrugged at Apple getting a cut from accessory makers, and even if you thought Lightning was clearly better than the 30-pin connector, you had reason to be unhappy. AppleInsider, for one, had very specific complaints about what it saw as a waste opportunity.

"A recent teardown of the latest iPad even found that the extra space offered by switching to the Lightning connector was simply left unfilled inside the device," said the review in 2012. "On the iPhone 5, iPod touch and iPod nano, the Lightning connector felt as though it helped Apple achieve new lighter and thinner designs that were not possible with the 30-pin connection slot."

"But the fourth-generation iPad has the same form factor and heft as its predecessor," it continued. "The addition of the Lightning connector didn't do anything to improve the design of the device, and its inclusion is actually a short-term hinderance given the lack of Lightning accessories currently available."

Close-up view of the back of a silver tablet with a speaker grille and a charging port visible.
Take a last look at the Lightning port on what now seems like a bulbous iPad

Then there was also that the Lightning connector generally ran at USB 2.0 speeds, matching that of the 30-pin connection it replaced.

There was no turning back, though, and today if you find a 30-pin dock accessory, it does seem impossibly large as well as ancient.

Soon we'll either have forgotten the Lightning cable, or at least have forgotten where we last left one when we need it to charge a family member's device.

If you still have a fondness for Lightning, though, Apple does give you a couple of last options. Starting with how the current Magic Keyboards for the Mac still use the old connector -- as do the Magic Mouse, Magic Trackpad, and AirPods Max.

Plus of course there is the current iPhone SE, which is the last non-accessory Apple device to use Lightning. It's also the last Apple device to use the Home button, but that's a different lament for another day.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,413member
    Lightning saved us from the scourge of micro USB long enough to move to a better option. If that’s all it ever gets credit for, that’s good enough for me. 
    cornchipsphericmike1MplsPkdupuis77linkmantmaywilliamlondonwatto_cobrabaconstang
  • Reply 2 of 16
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,572member
    dewme said:
    Lightning saved us from the scourge of micro USB long enough to move to a better option. If that’s all it ever gets credit for, that’s good enough for me. 
    100% agreement. 

I managed to almost completely avoid that PoS micro USB, and have Lightning to thank for it. 
    tmaydewmewatto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 3 of 16
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,954member
    I still find lightning superior as a connector, and the vast majority of devices that use it only use it for power so the data transfer speeds don't play a roll. Still, I'd far rather have consistency among the connectors so for that reason alone I look forward to having USB C on all my devices.
    linkmanwatto_cobrabaconstangAlex1N
  • Reply 4 of 16
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,736member
    dewme said:
    I still have to remind the people with memories of a hamster who ask why Apple didn't just use USB-C that it wasn't around when Lightning was created. So I do worry about social media history rewrites losing details like that.
    tmaywilliamlondonwatto_cobrabaconstangsphericAlex1Nstompy
  • Reply 5 of 16
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,036member
    I find that Lightning is easier than USB-C to plug/unplug. I have to plug my USB-C non-Apple work laptop in once per day to a dock and find most of the time I can't do it blind -- where I can always plug in a Lightning connector without looking. I'll definitely miss it.
    MplsPwilliamlondondewmewatto_cobrabaconstangblastdoorAlex1N
  • Reply 6 of 16
    oberpongooberpongo Posts: 184member
    USB C feels to me much less durable. Also now dust can settle in on the device itself and inside the connector. Lightning plug can easily be wiped or dust blow off. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobraStrangeDaysAlex1N
  • Reply 7 of 16
    NYC362NYC362 Posts: 84member
    Now they just need to update the Magic Mouse, iMac Keyboards, and Trackpad to USB-C (and yes, make the mouse useable while plugged in).
    MplsPwilliamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 8 of 16
    xbitxbit Posts: 391member
    oberpongo said:
    USB C feels to me much less durable. Also now dust can settle in on the device itself and inside the connector. Lightning plug can easily be wiped or dust blow off. 
    I've had so many Lightning cables die on me that I'm happy for the change. Lightning was a huge upgrade on the old 30-pin connector but it's time has come to an end.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 9 of 16
    xbit said:
    oberpongo said:
    I've had so many Lightning cables die on me that I'm happy for the change. Lightning was a huge upgrade on the old 30-pin connector but it's time has come to an end.
    Was it the cable or the plug/jack? I’ve had them break at the connection from the cable to the plug but never had an issue with the connector itself. 

I don’t know if either of the cables has any active components - those can be an independent source of failure for an otherwise ‘undamaged’ cable.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 10 of 16
    XedXed Posts: 2,620member
    dewme said:
    I'd argue that even the 30-pin connector saved us from scourge of crappy USB connectors.

I don't feel that Apple gets enough credit for how they designed and shipped their charging blocks and cables starting with the original iPod to promote longevity and compatibility while also reducing waste. And all this at a time when going to into pretty much any retail store would have a wall or spinner display with phone chargers that all had PSUs attached to cables and varying greatly that even the same vendor could have a dozen different designs to choose from.

As I remember it, the original iPod  started with no permanently attached cable to the PSU. It was FW400 with FW400 on the original iPod, but with the 2nd generation they had designed and included the 30-pin connector on their devices. With the 3rd generation they made the big push to support Windows with iTunes so they included a USB 2.0-to-30-pin-Connector, but since most WinPCs were still only sporting USB 1.0 which doesn't allow for power the need for the PSU with FW-400 was still a requirement to charge your iPod.

Those PSUs also had the option to replace the plug end with another country/region's plug adapter or a cabled plug, which I still like to use today, but that's partly because of how some plugs when traveling are loose which results in the PSU falling out or even being in the way on airplanes. I've donated or recycled all my 5W PSUs — which I'm glad Apple no longer offers in box — but I still have the 10W and higher PSUs with the removable plug adapter for other uses, but those are also reaching EOL for my needs after 2 decades.
    williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 11 of 16
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,337member
    linkman said:
    I find that Lightning is easier than USB-C to plug/unplug. I have to plug my USB-C non-Apple work laptop in once per day to a dock and find most of the time I can't do it blind -- where I can always plug in a Lightning connector without looking. I'll definitely miss it.
    Totally agree. Furthermore, I value the ease of plug/unplug over data transfer rates for devices like iPhones, iPads, keyboards, and trackpads. It’s only for connecting external storage or displays to my Mac that data transfer becomes more important. 

So moving to USB-C is going to be a net downgrade for me. Thanks a lot, EU. 
  • Reply 12 of 16
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,912member
    MplsP said:
    I still find lightning superior as a connector, and the vast majority of devices that use it only use it for power so the data transfer speeds don't play a roll. Still, I'd far rather have consistency among the connectors so for that reason alone I look forward to having USB C on all my devices.
    I tend to agree - with USB-C I’ve found them loosening over time, and now my iPad sometimes won’t charge unless wiggled just right. The hell 
    Alex1N
  • Reply 13 of 16
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,912member
    NYC362 said:
    Now they just need to update the Magic Mouse, iMac Keyboards, and Trackpad to USB-C (and yes, make the mouse useable while plugged in).
    Do you actually use the Magic Mouse? I do, and have zero issue - I love the touch surface and don’t want a hole in it. It only requires monthly charging, I get notifications when it runs low, and if ai forgot a 2 minute quick charge while I get a coffee powers the day. 
    williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 14 of 16
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 539member
    linkman said:
    I noticed one day that on my 16" MBP that if you're plugging it into the right side it's almost exactly centered on the delete key. Made it a lot easier after that.

Alex1Nstompy
  • Reply 15 of 16
    NYC362 said:
    Do you actually use the Magic Mouse? I do, and have zero issue - I love the touch surface and don’t want a hole in it. It only requires monthly charging, I get notifications when it runs low, and if ai forgot a 2 minute quick charge while I get a coffee powers the day. 
    Still using the same, tired B.S. argument I see. ‘I don’t find it to be a huge inconvenience so that justifies a bone-head stupid design decision’. 

I have a Magic Mouse, and yes, I routinely have issues. The worst part is they could have been completely avoided had Apple had the common sense of a 3rd grader when they designed the device. They made the keyboard this way, why not the mouse?
    muthuk_vanalingamAlex1N
  • Reply 16 of 16
    MplsP said:
    I tend to agree - with USB-C I’ve found them loosening over time, and now my iPad sometimes won’t charge unless wiggled just right. The hell 
    The lightning connector has indentations so you get a nice, positive and secure seating when you plug it in. The USB C connector seems to be more of a friction fit. It feels less secure and I can see it loosening up with heavy use  

I wonder if the problems you’re experiencing are actually due to the socket coming loose from the circuit board. 
    edited May 8 Alex1N