iPad Pro hands on: Luxury technology in an impossibly-thin package

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,078member
    dewme said:
    chasm said:
    dee_dee said:
    This isn’t luxury anything until the toddler software is improved. 
    I use an iPad Pro for (mostly) writing, photo editing, some art creation, Keynote, and a few other things. I pull out my Apple Pencil 2nd gen for some very light sketching and calligraphy.

In no way whatsoever do I feel the slightest bit constrained by the operating system (not software as you incorrectly called it). Of course, not everyone’s use case is the same — something you’ve overlooked, but then I doubt you’ve even used an iPad, let alone the Pro model — and certainly there are some limitations in iOS and iPadOS compared to macOS under certain circumstances.

But as far as I can tell, there’s very little to nothing “getting in my way” when using an iPad Pro for the varied tasks I’ve mentioned above. It’s a touch-first device, so it is only a surprise to you (apparently) that this puts different priorities on the OS.

That said, I’m looking forward to seeing what Apple does with iOS and iPadOS in the fall, and outlines for us at WWDC. As you imply, there’s a lot of potential that could be leveraged, and perhaps the “AI-ification” of both macOS and the other systems will explore some of that potential.

But I very, very, very much doubt iOS and iPadOS will ever be replaced with macOS as you seem to be suggesting.
    Very well said. In a world where anyone can purchase a MacBook Pro, an iPad Pro, both, or neither why are we still complaining about the iPad not being functionally equivalent to a MacBook? Apple makes no bones about it, the iPad Pro and MacBook Pro are two different products targeting users with two different sets of user requirements. Two similar but different species. 

If you adopted a cat you must have wanted a cat. If you adopted a dog you must have wanted a dog. What’s the point of complaining about your cat falling to bark when someone rings the doorbell or your dog not purring when you rub its belly? Your cat has a cat brain and your dog has a dog brain. For sure there are things that are in common between cats and dogs, e.g., eat, sleep, poop. But there are also things that are different, like scratching your sofa legs to shreds versus chewing up your TV remote. Two similar but different species. 

Apple has never claimed that an iPad Pro is a drop in replacement for a MacBook Pro, or vice versa. Why would we want to create a hybrid iPad/MacBook any more than we’d want a Cog or a Dat? As long as we have the ability/luxury to allow both species to exist simultaneously with their unique qualities, why would we want to force either one to cease to exist? 

Choice is good for consumers. We now have the luxury to choose exactly what we want from what’s available and purchase the machine that best matches our needs. We can also purchase any other vendors product, like a Surface device which is a hybrid PC and tablet, I.e., a Microsoft Dat or Cog. Bark, purr, bark, purr, poop. 
    I keep trying to get people to understand that the perpetual hullabaloo about the iPad/MacBook nexus implying a hybrid device is just myopic. MacOS doesn't only run notebooks. It runs Mac Pro desktop workstations that are plugged into the mains and have multiple screens, etc. This is not a touch interface, power conserving use case. It's not about how MacBooks and iPads overlap. It's about how Mac Pros and iPads don't overlap.

I'm sill pretty sure there still have been no meetings at Apple HQ where someone brings in a Microsoft Surface for show-and-tell and says that Apple's missing the boat if they don't make something more like that.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 26
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,966member
    chasm said:
    dee_dee said:
    This isn’t luxury anything until the toddler software is improved. 
    I use an iPad Pro for (mostly) writing, photo editing, some art creation, Keynote, and a few other things. I pull out my Apple Pencil 2nd gen for some very light sketching and calligraphy.

In no way whatsoever do I feel the slightest bit constrained by the operating system (not software as you incorrectly called it). Of course, not everyone’s use case is the same — something you’ve overlooked, but then I doubt you’ve even used an iPad, let alone the Pro model — and certainly there are some limitations in iOS and iPadOS compared to macOS under certain circumstances.

But as far as I can tell, there’s very little to nothing “getting in my way” when using an iPad Pro for the varied tasks I’ve mentioned above. It’s a touch-first device, so it is only a surprise to you (apparently) that this puts different priorities on the OS.

That said, I’m looking forward to seeing what Apple does with iOS and iPadOS in the fall, and outlines for us at WWDC. As you imply, there’s a lot of potential that could be leveraged, and perhaps the “AI-ification” of both macOS and the other systems will explore some of that potential.

But I very, very, very much doubt iOS and iPadOS will ever be replaced with macOS as you seem to be suggesting.
    I have a 12.9" iPad Pro and a 16" MBP. I feel constrained by iPadOS on a regular basis. There are many things I prefer to do on my iPad but having tried to replace my MBP with my iPad I'm repeatedly stymied. Beyond what I can't do, there are innumerable things that I technically can do but they are significantly more difficult or cumbersome.

iPadOS may not be a toddler OS, but it's certainly struggling in preschool.
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 23 of 26
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 557member
    Coming from a 10.5” IPP I’m torn. For my use the Air would be fine but when I play with them side by side in the Apple Store I can tell the difference in the ProMotion and colour/blackness. Upgrading from the A10X to M2 or M4 is a big upgrade. But I still have this “settling” feeling if I went for the Air. Waiting for WWDC to see if there’s something in iPadOS 18 that will sway the decision. 
  • Reply 24 of 26
    mcmanisdmcmanisd Posts: 1member
    Let’s be real, iPad has two major flaws that keep it from being great. First, printing. For goodness sakes, give us real printing and print drivers. AirPrint sucks. Especially it corporate. Isn’t it about time to fix it. Second, browser extensions/addons. The browsers are great, but addons make them better. Introduce those and this would be amazing. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 26
    dpkrohdpkroh Posts: 43member
    Purchase of the new smart keyboards, should enable the iPad Pro M4 to dual boot MacOS.

Once you have a keyboard and trackpad, the disingenuous dishonest PR BS from Apple, that touch devices are not suited to MacOS, no longer has any validity.

It's just pure disdain for the customer and the product in the name of nothing but naked greed.  

The 1TB models and up, with their larger RAM should enable simultaneous dual OS, in some sort of split screen or picture in picture mode.

They should also allow multiple user profiles for iPadOS as on Mac.

Then it could be justifiably called a "Pro".

Instead, it is just an egregious example of Apple Executives laughing themselves silly and taking bets on who the next fool is that will buy both a MacBook and an iPad.  

No doubt in the background they play the Nirvana Song "R8PE ME"
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 26 of 26
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,039member
    I got the 13 Pro on launch day and was coming from the previous generation.  

The new keyboard case is not as good as before. The outside is less grippy and not as planted on a desk or table. I really did not see a need for the extra row of keys, but I guess that lets Apple force us to buy a new one.

As to the thinness, I would have preferred the old weight and size with improved battery life.

My Apple Pencil v2 will not pair with the new Pro. I am sure the issue is not the pencil as it works fine with my iPad mini. I guess a visit to the Apple Store is in my future.

Hopefully there are improvements to multitasking coming with the next version of iPad OS.

On my wish list would be the ability to run VST plug ins that are designed for the Mac on my iPad Pro. Would be very cool for those of us who play.