Embarrassing Qualcomm ad claims 'I'm a Mac' actor is switching to Windows ARM over notific...

Posted:
in General Discussion

Actor Justin Long now stars in a painful Qualcomm ad that requires you to remember "I'm a Mac," care about it, and fathom what his coffee mug means.

Person sitting in a white kitchen, holding a mug, with an open laptop on the counter and a stove in the background.
Good luck figuring out the significance of the mug

Apple's "I'm a Mac" ads were effective and funny. They were so effective that AppleInsider readers will remember them -- but surely no one outside of technology will.

Apple's ads wound down 15 years ago. Qualcomm is trading on consumers remembering this, for an utterly wincingly bad dad-joke kind of ad.

The ad was introduced at the very end of Qualcomm's Computex 2024 keynote, with CEO Qualcomm Cristiano Amon announcing it as footage of "a very special person actually ordering their Copilot+ PC." There's then a 23-second video of Justin Long being driven to order a Snapdragon-powered PC.

Then suddenly noticing us watching, Long says to camera: "What? Things change." For reasons passing understanding, he points at his coffee mug as proof.

That part with the mug is easy to miss, though, because you could still be busy going "huh?" at the rest of it. As first spotted by The Verge, Long is seen working on a MacBook Pro, but then there is a barrage of notifications and that's it, he's switching to Windows ARM.

It's acutely embarrassing and not just because notifications prompt the switch. No one is going to switch platforms over notifications, but if they did, no human being is going to Google the words "where can I find a Snapdragon powered PC?"

Qualcomm thinks we'll all remember "I'm a Mac," it thinks consumers will have heard of the word "Snapdragon," and it presented all of this in the snappily-titled Qualcomm Computex 2024. It's so far out of touch that you watch the ad and the kindest thing you can say is "bless."

Long is fine, by the way, but then he would be, he's an actor, and this is not a role that could tax him. It's also not his first time playing off his old Apple ads, either, with Huawei at least began a series with a funny one seeing Long pitching to direct a commercial for the company.

To its credit, that one worked even if you didn't know the old Apple ads. But when Intel launched a whole series of Mac versus PC commercials, it absolutely required you to know them, even down to mimicking the design and including verbal callbacks.

Qualcomm has also copied Intel in how it strove to make us believe that Justin Long has really switched platforms. The Intel ads even explicitly have him refer to himself by name.

It possible that Long was a Mac user who switched to Intel and Huawei and Windows ARM, with a brief stop back on Macs in between. It's possible.

And to be fair, it is all slightly more believable than that he dodged every one of the bullets in "Live Free or Die Hard." Actors act for money, after all, and will perform just about anything that's on a script for cash.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    Slow news day,
    mikethemartianwilliamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 26
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,624member
    > "For reasons passing understanding, he points at his coffee mug as proof."

Can anyone explain the coffee mug reference? I'm a techie and I didn't get the joke.
    williamhGraeme000watto_cobrajas99Anilu_777michelb76
  • Reply 3 of 26
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,517member
    I would be surprised if this was an advertisement intended for consumers at large, mainly because the vast majority of consumers have no idea who or what Qualcomm is and only know of “snapdragon” as a flower. It is in fact a lovely flower with a unique relationship with bees. Microsoft used to make similar satirical “ads” that got aired after the keynotes at large developer events. I never saw one hit TV.

The MS satire was usually funny, sometimes scary, but obviously an indulgence in time and money only available to those whose deep pockets can no longer accommodate all of the cash they’re trying to stuff into them. Gotta spend all that excess cash on something. There’s only so much money you can spend on barrels full of junk food snacks being dumped out on to feeding trough like tables for the hoards of snack craving code monkeys to consume. Contrary to popular belief, there is a limit to how much junk food and caffeine code monkeys can ingest before the transformation of junk food & caffeine into code cycle reaches a plateau. 
    watto_cobraAnilu_777
  • Reply 4 of 26
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,385member
    Where do people even see these ads? I assume Qualcomm was preaching to the choir at one of their events?  Don't give 'em any air elsewhere and no one will ever know about them outside of the attendees.  
    ronn
  • Reply 5 of 26
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,778member

Can anyone explain the coffee mug reference? I'm a techie and I didn't get the joke.
    I can't remember but did one of the original ads have him holding a mug with an Apple Logo on it?  As in; 'look, no Apple Logo now?'
    22july2013watto_cobraronn
  • Reply 6 of 26
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,778member
    We just need John Hodgman to ditch his ARM PC and use a Mac, LOL.
    baconstangroundaboutnowGraeme000watto_cobrathelastdon
  • Reply 7 of 26
    harrykatsarosharrykatsaros Posts: 83unconfirmed, member
    Probably should have just googled the Do Not Disturb button before going all in on a $2000 downgrade.
    david | dahoveeddav602warrenbaconstangroundaboutnowStrangeDayswatto_cobraronnAnilu_777
  • Reply 8 of 26
    mikethemartianmikethemartian Posts: 1,420member
    They know that all the Apple centric sites will report on it and so it will get a lot of views.
    watto_cobramattinozronn
  • Reply 9 of 26
    maltzmaltz Posts: 474member
    Of course people (even non-techie people) remember the "I'm a Mac" ads... or they wouldn't have been so "effective".  You do have to be a certain age, though, since it was so long ago, which maybe affects the appeal of the ad to different demographics.
    watto_cobraronnAnilu_777
  • Reply 10 of 26
    KITAKITA Posts: 409member
    debonbon said:
    Slow news day,
    There are plenty of more interesting things to report on at Computex than this.

For example, AMD's new mobile chips (Strix Point) shipping July 2024:

edited June 3 ctt_zhgatorguyroundaboutnowwilliamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 26
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,121member
    Probably should have just googled the Do Not Disturb button before going all in on a $2000 downgrade.
    In iOS they moved it to somewhere in "Focus", I think.  Prefs in iOS are such a mess.
    My Macs are silent for notifications, especially my iMac which is plugged into my monitor system.
    watto_cobradewme
  • Reply 12 of 26
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,944member
    KITA said:
    debonbon said:
    Slow news day,

Raw performance is not the draw. Compute power per watt, is. How power efficient is this chip being compared to Apple Silicon? Is it fanless?
    williamlondonwatto_cobradewmejas99ronn
  • Reply 13 of 26
    KITAKITA Posts: 409member
    KITA said:
    debonbon said:
    Slow news day,

Raw performance is not the draw. Compute power per watt, is. How power efficient is this chip being compared to Apple Silicon? Is it fanless?
    TDP = 28W
    cTDP = 15W-54W

The M3 used in their testing was in a MacBook Pro 14"

Implementation by each OEM will differ (a number of devices have already been announced). I doubt it will be used in a fanless device though.

For thin and light devices, expect the 15W TDP or 28W TDP.

For larger and higher end configurations, we'll probably see this with a higher TDP and paired with a dGPU - likely NVIDIA in some devices:

Nvidias RTX AI laptops with Copilot Plus features are coming soon

Here's a laptop with it from ASUS at Computex (seen in the NVIDIA slide above), the Zephyrus G16:

- AMD Ryzen AI 9 HX 370
    - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070
    - 16" 240 Hz OLED, 100% DCI-P3, NVIDIA G-Sync
    - 4 lbs

edited June 3 ctt_zhwilliamlondongatorguy
  • Reply 14 of 26
    KITA said:
    debonbon said:
    Slow news day,

Is it possible that Qualcomm is so focused on Apple that AMD will end up eating their lunch?  If AMD digs into their mobile market, no amount of PCs sold will make up for their loss.
    williamlondonwatto_cobraronn
  • Reply 15 of 26
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,390moderator
    MacPro said:

I can't remember but did one of the original ads have him holding a mug with an Apple Logo on it?  As in; 'look, no Apple Logo now?'
    Either that or he's getting himself accustomed to the taste of Crashytime Chamomile in preparation for his new computing experience:

Justin Long said there were 300 made but there were only around 67 aired plus some keynote specials:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4AAF6508BCE0D8F0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eEG5LVXdKo

I figured it was a reference to him getting older and drinking coffee from a mug. That's not common for student-age/mid-20s people to do, Justin Long was in his 20s when he did the ads.
    KITA said:
    debonbon said:
    Slow news day,

Yawn, comparable power and performance to last year's M3 Pro. Old news.

This always used to happen with PCs years ago, whenever Apple introduced new hardware, the self-described 'tech enthusiasts' would always try and push PCs having twice as fast GHz, faster GPUs etc. At least there was a raw hardware advantage back then. Now people try to hype up hardware that's catching up to Apple's old chips. It's sad to watch. It doesn't make any sense either, if people are 'tech enthusiasts', surely it would make sense to have been enthusiastic about Apple's chips for the last 3 years and their upcoming ones.

Plus people still don't get that performance on its own doesn't matter if you have to deal with the daily pain of using a bad OS. What matters is having good performance + good OS + good hardware design + good ecosystem.
    22july2013williamlondonwatto_cobradewmeronnAnilu_777
  • Reply 16 of 26
    gatorguy said:
    Where do people even see these ads? I assume Qualcomm was preaching to the choir at one of their events?  Don't give 'em any air elsewhere and no one will ever know about them outside of the attendees.  
    Nowhere, it's not actually an ad despite what the title of the article says. It was a dumb skit wedged into a hour + keynote. 
    watto_cobragatorguymaltz
  • Reply 17 of 26
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,448member
    Marvin said:
    MacPro said:

Either that or he's getting himself accustomed to the taste of Crashytime Chamomile in preparation for his new computing experience:

Justin Long said there were 300 made but there were only around 67 aired plus some keynote specials:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4AAF6508BCE0D8F0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eEG5LVXdKo

I figured it was a reference to him getting older and drinking coffee from a mug. That's not common for student-age/mid-20s people to do, Justin Long was in his 20s when he did the ads.
    KITA said:
    debonbon said:
    Slow news day,

Yawn, comparable power and performance to last year's M3 Pro. Old news.

This always used to happen with PCs years ago, whenever Apple introduced new hardware, the self-described 'tech enthusiasts' would always try and push PCs having twice as fast GHz, faster GPUs etc. At least there was a raw hardware advantage back then. Now people try to hype up hardware that's catching up to Apple's old chips. It's sad to watch. It doesn't make any sense either, if people are 'tech enthusiasts', surely it would make sense to have been enthusiastic about Apple's chips for the last 3 years and their upcoming ones.

Plus people still don't get that performance on its own doesn't matter if you have to deal with the daily pain of using a bad OS. What matters is having good performance + good OS + good hardware design + good ecosystem.
    What may seem like a bad operating system to you could be ideal for others. The same apply to hardware design and ecosystem. For instance, gamers might argue that Apple's OS, ecosystem, and hardware are subpar because macOS lacks gaming options, the gaming ecosystem is lacking, the hardware design offers no upgradeability, and it performs slower than devices with Nvidia and AMD GPUs. And from their perspective, they might be correct, given their specific requirements. This could extend to architects and engineers that use CAD / CAM / 3D applications, and also business and enterprises, where MS has a better ecosystem than Apple.  The experience of these group of users will improve with these new processors from AMD and Qualcomm.  Additionally, it appears they are closing the gap and, in some instances, surpassing what Apple has offered.  We'll see if it's true when devices with these processors hit the market.  

At the same time, there is another group of users that have a better experience with the Apple ecosystem, and I suppose you are one of them. I work in a daily basis with both environments and have good and bad experiences with both.  IMO, there is no good or bad OS. It all dependes in your needs and preferences.  
    edited June 3 ctt_zhmuthuk_vanalingamavon b7gatorguy
  • Reply 18 of 26
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 642member
    No Mac user is switching to a PC and no PC user, who would even know what Snapdragon is, will be switching it.
    AllMronn
  • Reply 19 of 26
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,624member
    Marvin said:
    Justin Long said there were 300 made but there were only around 67 aired
    Aww, I hope Apple airs them all someday. I'd love to see them all.

Perhaps many of them will embarrass Apple, like the one that included a transgender person that made us laugh at how ridiculous he looked.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    AllMAllM Posts: 71member
    KITA said:
    KITA said:
    debonbon said:
    Slow news day,

TDP = 28W
    cTDP = 15W-54W

The M3 used in their testing was in a MacBook Pro 14"

Implementation by each OEM will differ (a number of devices have already been announced). I doubt it will be used in a fanless device though.

For thin and light devices, expect the 15W TDP or 28W TDP.

For larger and higher end configurations, we'll probably see this with a higher TDP and paired with a dGPU - likely NVIDIA in some devices:

Nvidias RTX AI laptops with Copilot Plus features are coming soon

Here's a laptop with it from ASUS at Computex (seen in the NVIDIA slide above), the Zephyrus G16:

- AMD Ryzen AI 9 HX 370
    - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070
    - 16" 240 Hz OLED, 100% DCI-P3, NVIDIA G-Sync
    - 4 lbs

“Tri-fan, liquid metal, new fiber MacBook clone” (c) 😁