Craig Federighi ignited Apple's AI efforts after using Microsoft's Copilot

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 69
    cabassicabassi Posts: 30member
    Rogue01 said:
    "That has seemed nonsensical since Apple has had Siri for almost 15 years"

They can't be serious?  Siri has been dumb since day one, and 13 years later since the introduction, Siri is still dumb.  Can't even play a playlist on my phone.  Siri - Sorry, I can't do that.  So no, Apple has not had an Intelligent Assistant, ever.  The majority of responses are, 'I can't do that' or 'Let me look that up on the internet'.  I asked for Siri for directions while driving and her response was, 'You need to pull over for that', and this was the response through CarPlay.  I am not holding my breath for anything AI from Apple since they let Siri continue to be stupid for over a decade.
    Siri used to be smarter. For example, I used to be able to use it on my Mac to open specific folders. For some reason, features have been dropped or disabled. Really hoping we're at a turning point with it now.
    watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 62 of 69
    nubusnubus Posts: 574member
    Why do you say that Apple is paying OpenAI anything? I don’t believe Apple will be paying them or anyone anything.
    Do you see Apple as a company attracting benevolent benefactors? Do you see OpenAI, Microsoft, or Google as companies that want to support +2 billion active devices from a competitor for free?

I could quote the real Kirkegaard about not being understood. Let us just await WWDC.
    gatorguywilliamlondon
  • Reply 63 of 69
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,686member
    danvm said:
    tmay said:
    nubus said:
    Competent management would have also invested whatever it takes to have their own in-house LLM to power Siri and have their own AI datacenter infrastructure ready to go by now. 
    And this “AI data center infrastructure” you speak of — what would this power, and what income would this generate? 
    With Apple paying OpenAI - 49% owned by MS and hosted on Azure we see Apple making Microsoft stronger. Actively funding your competitors, having no control over core tech, and fumbling around copying products from Zuckerberg and Musk - that is Team Cook.
    You mean the MS that has no mobile presence vs Apple with 1.46 B iPhone users?

Who do you think gains the most fainancially from OpenAI on iOS; Apple or MS?
    Yes, the Apple with no generative AI / LLM infrastructure vs MS with one of the largest infrastructures in the world.
    Right now, no one knows how will gain more, since there are no details of Apple agreement with OpenAI. I suppose Apple will be paying far more than the $30M per month to Amazon and the $300M they pay Google for GCP cloud services. 

That’s a highly dubious claim for sure. There’s been many rumors that Apple has already been running and using their own internal LLM for a couple of years now. There’s also been rumors that Apple does in fact intend to expand that out at some point and have been working on it for a while now. Just because they haven’t released anything to the public, doesn’t mean they aren’t working on something. 

Furthermore, we know they’ve been working in this area because the new predictive text feature on their devices is based off the same transformer models used by ChatGPT.
    watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 64 of 69
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member
    mjtomlin said:
    danvm said:
    tmay said:
    nubus said:
    Competent management would have also invested whatever it takes to have their own in-house LLM to power Siri and have their own AI datacenter infrastructure ready to go by now. 
    And this “AI data center infrastructure” you speak of — what would this power, and what income would this generate? 
    With Apple paying OpenAI - 49% owned by MS and hosted on Azure we see Apple making Microsoft stronger. Actively funding your competitors, having no control over core tech, and fumbling around copying products from Zuckerberg and Musk - that is Team Cook.

Yes, the Apple with no generative AI / LLM infrastructure vs MS with one of tLess than a yearhe largest infrastructures in the world.
    Right now, no one knows how will gain more, since there are no details of Apple agreement with OpenAI. I suppose Apple will be paying far more than the $30M per month to Amazon and the $300M they pay Google for GCP cloud services. 

That’s a highly dubious claim for sure. There’s been many rumors that Apple has already been running and using their own internal LLM for a couple of years now.
    Less than a year they've been running one internally isn't it, Ajax? Appleinsider had an article about it a few months ago, and this article claimed Apple executives didn't have interest in such a system until very early in 2023. Now they are apparently (co)developing MM1 with the first published development paper less than 60 days old. 
    edited June 9 avon b7
  • Reply 65 of 69
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,465member
    mjtomlin said:
    danvm said:
    tmay said:
    nubus said:

Yes, the Apple with no generative AI / LLM infrastructure vs MS with one of the largest infrastructures in the world.

That’s a highly dubious claim for sure. There’s been many rumors that Apple has already been running and using their own internal LLM for a couple of years now. There’s also been rumors that Apple does in fact intend to expand that out at some point and have been working on it for a while now. Just because they haven’t released anything to the public, doesn’t mean they aren’t working on something. 

Furthermore, we know they’ve been working in this area because the new predictive text feature on their devices is based off the same transformer models used by ChatGPT.
    My comment was about infrastructure and datacenters, not Apple having their own LLM.  I think Apple is working in something with generative AI / LLM.  The problem is that they don't have the datacenters and infrastructure to run generative AI / LLM for billions of devices.
  • Reply 66 of 69
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    I call BS. Apple has had the dream, and I have to assume intent for this since at least 1987. What Apple had to wait for was the technology to catch up to the dream. I suspect many others were inspired by Apple's dream, too, but perhaps they didn't have the ability to create the ecosystem where this dream would be truly fulfilled, jumped too soon, and were not well enough prepared to capture the consumer market as Apple surely will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGYFEI6uLy0
    danox
  • Reply 67 of 69
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    nubus said:
    blastdoor said:
    The quote that resonated with me from the WSJ article is that Apple can do pretty much anything they set their minds to. I think that really is the bottom line. Apple has competent management, smart employees, and practically limitless financial resources. When you have those things, you can do just about anything (within the laws of physics)
    Having an idea and an abundance of cash didn't work at Xerox PARC. It doesn't help much at IBM or Intel. The main new feature of iPhone 15 Pro was an extra button. USB-C was a requirement made by politicians. The main new feature of the next iOS will be... OpenAI powered by Microsoft.

Jobs made Apple the most valuable company in 2011. Cook has moved Apple down to #3. It has been a decade of iterative upgrades from Apple with AirPods and M-series being the stars. 

The ownership of OpenAI by Microsoft is a bit complex. Here's a breakdown:

• Microsoft has invested a significant amount of money in OpenAI, including a recent multi-billion dollar investment in 2023.
    • These investments give Microsoft certain rights, including a potential share of profits from OpenAI's for-profit ventures.
    • However, OpenAI maintains that Microsoft does not have ownership or control over the organization itself.

There have been some recent changes to how OpenAI describes Microsoft's involvement. Their website used to say Microsoft was a "minority owner" but now refers to them holding a "minority economic interest." This suggests a distancing from the idea of ownership.

• Reply 68 of 69
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,266member
    nubus said:
    Why do you say that Apple is paying OpenAI anything? I don’t believe Apple will be paying them or anyone anything.
    Do you see Apple as a company attracting benevolent benefactors? Do you see OpenAI, Microsoft, or Google as companies that want to support +2 billion active devices from a competitor for free?

I could quote the real Kirkegaard about not being understood. Let us just await WWDC.

In the case of Google they pay Apple 20 Billion dollars per year already? Microsoft, Meta, and OpenAI would prefer in a perfect world that Apple not build a AI model ever which won't happen, Apple will build something however they might be more selective in how they do it, and having your competition screwup/blunder along trying to be first is a bonus.

Apple being a vertical computer can wait particularly with the best mobile/desktop SOC'S in the business and with neural engines and ML infrastructure already built in. Do they have everything no but they have access to the best bits that the public can actually use with Apple's best in class at the edge programing support.  https://developer.apple.com/machine-learning/core-ml/
    edited June 10
  • Reply 69 of 69
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member
    danox said:
    danvm said:
    tmay said:
    danvm said:
    tmay said:
    nubus said:

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft/the-enormity-of-microsofts-windows-phone-shut-down-mistake-is-becoming-increasingly-clear-in-the-ai-era
    It’s evident that not having a smartphone impact MS negatively, but the same can be said from Apple by not having their own generative AI / LLM infrastructure.

Microsoft not having their own quality long term mobile hardware is by far more important than a dubious AI model, however the Google Tensor being five years behind the leader (Apple) may mitigate that problem. 
    I don't think it will matter if on paper an iPhone appears to be more "ready for AI" than a Pixel.  The reality is that Apple is already signaling their hardware had not been powerful enough to run most AI features, on-device or off, so it's iPhone 15 Pro and up if those generative AI features are attractive. Every iPhone before that will probably be deemed substandard as far as Apple is concerned, definitely out as far as running on the edge according to rumors which will be validated one way or the other within the hour.

Google's Pixel 6Pro, 7Pro and 8Pro are capable of running Generative AI on-device (obviously not every service).
    Why the Pixel Pro models? It's the ram, 12GB. Generative AI wants a lot of it, and 8GB isn't sufficient, according to both Apple and Google. 
    edited June 10