ChatGPT coming to iOS 18 for free later in 2024

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    Can ChatGPT-4o be used on CarPlay? What about Voice Memo? Advise me the options if gas stations on my route while driving? Show me a list of “Bill” in my Contacts app and follow my instructions to call the specified “Bill”?
    I'm sure the answer is yes in iOS 18, but you would actually be interacting with Siri. Siri will answer any questions on  its own and only use ChatGPT as a backup. It won't really be like having the ChatGPT app. I guess that would be the trade-off. They are saying that you get ChatGPT 4.0 for free, but that is not exactly true because you don't get to use the ChatGPT Plus app for free. Since all of the answers go through Siri, the experience will be totally different.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 22
    danox said:
    chromafox said:
    mpantone said:
    chromafox said:
    mpantone said:
    How is it different than ChatGPT’s current free tier?
    Maybe you should tune into the Platform Keynote or one of the sessions that will focus on such matters.

The WWDC general keynote is only 90 minutes long (or so), they don't have time to hit every single bullet point. About the only thing they did note was that ChatGPT functionality would be coming "later this year" which implies that it will not be running when iOS 18 releases.

The developer betas never have all of the features as the actual consumer release so even those who are downloading the iOS 18 images right now won't have all the answers.

In time we will all know more about iOS 18's capabilities and limitations. Apple simply can't provide all the answers in such a short span of time, especially in a high-level presentation that skews heavily toward a more consumer audience.

The Platform Keynote is where they will get into more technical detail. This is nothing new to this WWDC, it has been this way for many years now. The Monday morning 10am PDT WWDC keynote is more of a marketing message.

You or someone else will pose a similar question next year and me or someone else will likely pose a similar answer.

Does that other Mac info site (9to5) have more info than Insider? They said the OS would allow users access to the free tier of ChatGPT (5?) with the option to hook up their paid account.
    That's a very curious first post on AppleInsider.

I'll be honest: I don't know if 9to5mac is any more correct than this site, MacRumors, Macworld, or any other technology news site.

One thing that I do know is that Apple does not typically hand out exclusive information to media sites. Basically everyone who covers Apple is just speculating unless they aren't quoting Apple press releases or things actual Apple representatives have said.

For sure, Apple will continue to reveal more information in today's Platform Keynote as well as individual technical sessions and other documentation as WWDC progresses throughout the week. So what people knew at 11:40am PDT this morning will likely not be the final word on everything about iOS 18.

Anyhow welcome to AppleInsider.

Well, am just trying to figure out whether ChatGPT will actually be free without quotas, or will require a paid subscription for more than 5 queries. This article made it sound like it's "free" in a way other than ChatGPT currently is for users. I haven't watched the keynote or the breakouts so I assumed that the other publication might've gotten the information from there. 

I don't really have a bias, and AppleInsider is my main source, but lately I've been noticing the "other publication" is usually a lot more detailed or has a little more value added in its articles... It just seemed weird that this article phrased things so vaguely - "free, at least to some extent. Users can also connect their premium account for more specific options" - while the other article was so specific about what "some extent" or "more specific options" might mean, so I wondered if that info had actually been in the keynote/breakouts.

I think it may be part of the deal Apple made with OpenAI? I assume Apple wrote an api to hooks into OpenAI ChatGPT your Apple tax dollars at work, in fact Apple mentioned the word api several times during the presentation a subtle reminder to the EU, DOJ, and Developers that value/money was spent/provided to build up the ecosystems in short what you are seeing didn't happen out of thin free air.....
    It definitely will not have quotas because Apple would never do something like that. I completely agree that Apple must have a licensing deal for ChatGPT 4.0 but I guess it would be different in the sense that it would be going through Siri. So even though the information would be the same, it would take a different form and the interface and everything would be totally different from the ChatGPT app. You will always know whether or not the information is coming from ChatGPT because Siri will inform you that it has information from ChatGPT and ask whether or not you want to receive it. For the people who will never want answers from ChatGPT, I'm sure Apple will include a setting to turn off that feature.
    I believe it’s the other way around. If you ask Siri something it may ask if you want to send the query to ChatGPT. If you choose yes then your question is sent to ChatGPT and the answer provided. If you choose no then nothing goes to ChatGPT. That is, you make the choice about using ChatGPT BEFORE the query is sent, not after.
    danoxwilliamlondonwatto_cobra