ChatGPT coming to iOS 18 for free later in 2024

Posted:
in iOS edited June 11

If you're not happy with Apple Intelligence, Apple will allow you to use ChatGPT privately for free instead via Siri and system wide like with Writing Tools.

The ChatGPT logo
ChatGPT is coming to iOS 18

Apple's partnership with OpenAI has been detailed during WWDC 2024. ChatGPT will be available as a free and private option in iOS 18, iPadOS 18, and macOS Sequoia later in 2024.

Even though Apple has introduced Apple Intelligence and server-side LLMs powered by Apple Silicon, the company has given users an option to utilize ChatGPT instead. For example, the option may appear when asking Siri a question or when writing with Writing Tools.

The partnership allows users to access ChatGPT's 4o model for free, at least to some extent. Users can also connect their premium account for more specific options, rather than relying on a GPT app.

Those using the free ChatGPT integration can do so without privacy concerns. Requests aren't logged and user data isn't saved.

Apple also hinted that other models may be available at a later date, like Google Gemini.

iOS 18, iPadOS 18, and macOS Sequoia are available to developer beta testers on Monday. The ChatGPT integration won't be available until sometime after the public release of the operating systems in the fall, so don't expect early access to the feature.

Read on AppleInsider

cbrooker

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,834member
    All I’m going to want to know is how to permanently and utterly disable it. I will NOT work with ChatGPT. they are data thieves. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 22
    How is it different than ChatGPT’s current free tier?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Guessing because it is not explicitly said in the keynote but the free version has usage limits. I am guessing that is not the case for iPad, iPhone and Mac
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 22
    “Requests aren't logged and user data isn't saved”.

My question and I suppose the deal breaker for would be: Are all interactions with ChatGPT used to “train” it? Because train clearly means consume and to an extent own. So it makes it hard to feel comfortable using it for anything professional. Many companies forbid using any LLM based services out of reasonable fear of company/client secrets being slurped up.
    I really don’t see how Apple can honor their commitment to end-user privacy while baking in OpenAI’s little snitch at a system level.
    I’m as concerned about OpenAI getting the data period, let alone it being attached to my identity.
    beowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 22
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,099member

My question and I suppose the deal breaker for would be: Are all interactions with ChatGPT used to “train” it? Because train clearly means consume and to an extent own. So it makes it hard to feel comfortable using it for anything professional. Many companies forbid using any LLM based services out of reasonable fear of company/client secrets being slurped up.
    I really don’t see how Apple can honor their commitment to end-user privacy while baking in OpenAI’s little snitch at a system level.
    I’m as concerned about OpenAI getting the data period, let alone it being attached to my identity.
    Did you not watch the demo? The user has to give explicit approval to send the data to ChatGPT.

Remember that almost everything Apple's devices can be disabled. Location Services, Notifications, Siri, iCloud services, Face ID, Touch ID, Apple Pay, microphone access, photo library access, camera access, music library access, Bluetooth, Wifi, whatever.

You can basically run your iPhone like an iPod circa 2008 if you want. You don't even need to give any credentials if you're okay giving up the App Store and media stores.
    edited June 10 tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 22
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,834member

Without a definitive statement from Apple and OpenAI my thought is Of Course It Will Be. they are data thieves and as far as they are concerned everything is theirs to use. (Of course even if OpenAI says they don’t, I would not believe them.)
    edited June 10 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Glad that Apple’s internal intelligence features still have a point of view but providing free access to chatGPT
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Maybe you should tune into the Platform Keynote or one of the sessions that will focus on such matters.

The WWDC general keynote is only 90 minutes long (or so), they don't have time to hit every single bullet point. About the only thing they did note was that ChatGPT functionality would be coming "later this year" which implies that it will not be running when iOS 18 releases.

The developer betas never have all of the features as the actual consumer release so even those who are downloading the iOS 18 images right now won't have all the answers.

In time we will all know more about iOS 18's capabilities and limitations. Apple simply can't provide all the answers in such a short span of time, especially in a high-level presentation that skews heavily toward a more consumer audience.

The Platform Keynote is where they will get into more technical detail. This is nothing new to this WWDC, it has been this way for many years now. The Monday morning 10am PDT WWDC keynote is more of a marketing message.

You or someone else will pose a similar question next year and me or someone else will likely pose a similar answer.
    edited June 10 danoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 22
    mpantone said:
    Maybe you should tune into the Platform Keynote or one of the sessions that will focus on such matters.

The WWDC general keynote is only 90 minutes long (or so), they don't have time to hit every single bullet point. About the only thing they did note was that ChatGPT functionality would be coming "later this year" which implies that it will not be running when iOS 18 releases.

The developer betas never have all of the features as the actual consumer release so even those who are downloading the iOS 18 images right now won't have all the answers.

In time we will all know more about iOS 18's capabilities and limitations. Apple simply can't provide all the answers in such a short span of time, especially in a high-level presentation that skews heavily toward a more consumer audience.

The Platform Keynote is where they will get into more technical detail. This is nothing new to this WWDC, it has been this way for many years now. The Monday morning 10am PDT WWDC keynote is more of a marketing message.

You or someone else will pose a similar question next year and me or someone else will likely pose a similar answer.

Does that other Mac info site (9to5) have more info than Insider? They said the OS would allow users access to the free tier of ChatGPT (5?) with the option to hook up their paid account.
    gatorguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 22
    chromafox said:
    mpantone said:

Does that other Mac info site (9to5) have more info than Insider? They said the OS would allow users access to the free tier of ChatGPT (5?) with the option to hook up their paid account.
    That's a very curious first post on AppleInsider.

I'll be honest: I don't know if 9to5mac is any more correct than this site, MacRumors, Macworld, or any other technology news site.

One thing that I do know is that Apple does not typically hand out exclusive information to media sites. Basically everyone who covers Apple is just speculating unless they aren't quoting Apple press releases or things actual Apple representatives have said.

For sure, Apple will continue to reveal more information in today's Platform Keynote as well as individual technical sessions and other documentation as WWDC progresses throughout the week. So what people knew at 11:40am PDT this morning will likely not be the final word on everything about iOS 18.

Anyhow welcome to AppleInsider.
    edited June 10 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 22
    mpantone said:
    chromafox said:
    mpantone said:

I'll be honest: I don't know if 9to5mac is any more correct than this site, MacRumors, Macworld, or any other technology news site.

One thing that I do know is that Apple does not typically hand out exclusive information to media sites. Basically everyone who covers Apple is just speculating unless they aren't quoting Apple press releases or things actual Apple representatives have said.

For sure, Apple will continue to reveal more information in today's Platform Keynote as well as individual technical sessions and other documentation as WWDC progresses throughout the week. So what people knew at 11:40am PDT this morning will likely not be the final word on everything about iOS 18.

Well, am just trying to figure out whether ChatGPT will actually be free without quotas, or will require a paid subscription for more than 5 queries. This article made it sound like it's "free" in a way other than ChatGPT currently is for users. I haven't watched the keynote or the breakouts so I assumed that the other publication might've gotten the information from there. 

I don't really have a bias, and AppleInsider is my main source, but lately I've been noticing the "other publication" is usually a lot more detailed or has a little more value added in its articles... It just seemed weird that this article phrased things so vaguely - "free, at least to some extent. Users can also connect their premium account for more specific options" - while the other article was so specific about what "some extent" or "more specific options" might mean, so I wondered if that info had actually been in the keynote/breakouts.

edited June 10 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Hello, I must express my disappointment with Apple's plan to integrate OpenAI's ChatGPT into it's OSes. Apple seemed to go to great lengths to express its commitment to privacy, only to drop the bombshell that it was going to be moving to use ChatGPT for its enhanced abilities. In the demonstrations shown, it seems to only give you the option of whether or not you wanted to send the request to ChatGPT to do it… or not. I would have liked to have seen the ability to provide the service with Apple's technology instead as an opt-out option. Plus as a parent, I am especially concerned about the sending of data to ChatGPT anonymized or not. I would expect that Apple allows the access to ChatGPT to be disabled and restricted from a parental setting for a child's device and for their own.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 22
    DAalseth said:
    Without a definitive statement from Apple and OpenAI my thought is Of Course It Will Be. they are data thieves and as far as they are concerned everything is theirs to use. (Of course even if OpenAI says they don’t, I would not believe them.)
    Even Apple in their presentation said that ChatGPT should basically not be trusted when framing the privacy of Apple Intelligence. I'm still pretty shocked by this announcement. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 22
    DAalseth said:
    All I’m going to want to know is how to permanently and utterly disable it. I will NOT work with ChatGPT. they are data thieves. 
    That is not necessarily true. I have the free version and they explicitly have a setting to share data and a separate setting to share voice and both can be turned off so that you are not sharing anything.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    The free tier is ChatGPT 3.5 versus the paid tier is 4.0 which is 19.95/month which is outrageous. The free tier is amazing so it’s hard for me to imagine how much better the 4.0 version is. The version that is built into Siri is the 4.0 version and you are always asked first if you want help from ChatGPT 4.0 or not. Apple is not forcing anyone to use it if they don’t want to.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    DAalseth said:

There is no reason whatsoever to assume that they are keeping data or voice without consent. That makes no sense. There are plenty of people that are willing to consent, so there is no need to use info from people that do not consent. Furthermore, if they are using your info after you turn off the sharing button, that would be a crime. I don’t know why they would be committing fraud unnecessarily. To me, it sounds like paranoia. 
  • Reply 17 of 22
    jellyapplejellyapple Posts: 113member
    Can ChatGPT-4o be used on CarPlay? What about Voice Memo? Advise me the options if gas stations on my route while driving? Show me a list of “Bill” in my Contacts app and follow my instructions to call the specified “Bill”?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 22
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,048member
    chromafox said:
    mpantone said:
    chromafox said:
    mpantone said:

Well, am just trying to figure out whether ChatGPT will actually be free without quotas, or will require a paid subscription for more than 5 queries. This article made it sound like it's "free" in a way other than ChatGPT currently is for users. I haven't watched the keynote or the breakouts so I assumed that the other publication might've gotten the information from there. 

I don't really have a bias, and AppleInsider is my main source, but lately I've been noticing the "other publication" is usually a lot more detailed or has a little more value added in its articles... It just seemed weird that this article phrased things so vaguely - "free, at least to some extent. Users can also connect their premium account for more specific options" - while the other article was so specific about what "some extent" or "more specific options" might mean, so I wondered if that info had actually been in the keynote/breakouts.

I think it may be part of the deal Apple made with OpenAI? I assume Apple wrote an api to hook into OpenAI ChatGPT your Apple tax dollars at work, in fact Apple mentioned the word api several times during the presentation a subtle reminder to the EU, DOJ, and Developers that value/money was spent/provided to build up the ecosystems in short what you are seeing didn't happen out of thin free air.....
    edited June 11 watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 22
    danox said:
    I think it may be part of the deal Apple made with OpenAI? I assume Apple wrote an api to hooks into OpenAI ChatGPT your Apple tax dollars at work, in fact Apple mentioned the word api several times during the presentation a subtle reminder to the EU, DOJ, and Developers that value/money was spent/provided to build up the ecosystems in short what you are seeing didn't happen out of thin free air.....
    Oh…that makes sense. So Apple prob didn’t change the ChatGPT quota system or pricing, ie give us anything free except for the API, because they just did it so that we’d have “options” and satisfy the EU and DOJ…
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 22
    danox said:
    chromafox said:
    mpantone said:
    chromafox said:
    mpantone said:

I think it may be part of the deal Apple made with OpenAI? I assume Apple wrote an api to hooks into OpenAI ChatGPT your Apple tax dollars at work, in fact Apple mentioned the word api several times during the presentation a subtle reminder to the EU, DOJ, and Developers that value/money was spent/provided to build up the ecosystems in short what you are seeing didn't happen out of thin free air.....
    It definitely will not have quotas because Apple would never do something like that. I completely agree that Apple must have a licensing deal for ChatGPT 4.0 but I guess it would be different in the sense that it would be going through Siri. So even though the information would be the same, it would take a different form and the interface and everything would be totally different from the ChatGPT app. You will always know whether or not the information is coming from ChatGPT because Siri will inform you that it has information from ChatGPT and ask whether or not you want to receive it. For the people who will never want answers from ChatGPT, I'm sure Apple will include a setting to turn off that feature.
    watto_cobra