Man ludicrously blames Apple for his wife catching him communicating with prostitutes

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,059member
    Oh, c'mon. Divorce?! The guy made a simple, honest mistake. He thought he was using the hidden iMassage app on his phone. 
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 54
    Without bringing into question the validity or scenario this person has found themselves in. 

As a long time AI reader I would have found the article more effective and an easier read if the personal judgement element was toned down in the article. More of an unbiased reporting. 

Just my own opinion, but it hindered the article to me.  
    kkqd13379secondkox2sconosciutolordjohnwhorfinsflagelwilliamlondonOferravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 54
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,918administrator
    Without bringing into question the validity or scenario this person has found themselves in. 

As a long time AI reader I would have found the article more effective and an easier read if the personal judgement element was toned down in the article. More of an unbiased reporting. 

You do not have to read everything. You will be seeing more and more opinion as time goes on.
    dewmeronn9secondkox2williamlondonJaiOh81radarthekatBart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 54
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,667member
    When you isolate the consequences of this guys lack of understanding about how the technology actually works, this guy’s case does open a bit of a Pandora’s box. Since the dawn of file systems used on pretty much all storage media the user’s act of “deleting” something from the storage media did not do exactly what it appears to do from the user’s perspective.

Back in the Neanderthal DOS days deleting a file did not actually delete the file from the storage media. In fact, it may have done very little other than subtly changing the file system attributes that allowed the disk sectors in question to be reused and available for defragmentation. As long as the file system didn’t try to use the “free” disk sectors that were marked as available for subsequent allocation or the defragmenter move files to remove the gap, the files contents were sitting right there and could be easily recovered using any number of the available file recovery utilities. I remember using this recovery process numerous times to recover accidentally deleted files.

The circumstances between the serial pay-for-sex guy and Apple is very similar to the file deletion scenarios that have been around for many decades. It comes down to how the underlying technology actually works versus the user’s expectations about how the technology works. One of the primary reasons for having operating systems in the first place is to provide users with an abstracted view of the computer and its structure and behavior that hides all the underlying complexity. After all, files don’t actually grow on trees. So the question comes down to whether the developer of an operating system and its associated functionality are responsible for ensuring that the user’s abstract view of how the computer works actually reflects how the computer actually works works under the hood and with the same fidelity. 

What’s the right answer is beyond my ability to decide. All I know is that whenever I’ve been presented with a need to ensure that everything I’ve deleted from storage media is truly unrecoverable involved a much more elaborate deletion process at best, and wherever I’ve lost the ability to access a storage media that contains sensitive information, a full degaussing and physical destruction of the media.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 54
    ilarynxilarynx Posts: 119member
    meljenzo said:
    Interestingly, this is a lot like blaming firearm manufacturers for firearm deaths! People have their agency!
    EXACTLY! Because Apple iPhones have always been designed and manufactured to ruin marriages. 

Wait. 

Maybe it's more like blaming lawn dart manufacturers for lawn dart deaths?

Hmm. Actually, neither of those things seem to relate to the iPhone situation at all.

Maybe another visit to the Analogy Library is warranted. 

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/72/wr/mm7250a1.htm

edited June 14 9secondkox2sconosciutoronnwilliamlondonradarthekatBart Y
  • Reply 26 of 54
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 3,011member
    So… a man is so stupid as to cheat on his wife…

‘’then so stupid as to do so with prostitution…

then so stupid as to use his phone messaging app…

then so stupid as to not know how his tech works…

‘’then so stupid that he thinks he can con the world into believing it’s Apple’s fault that he’s so stupid. 

Got it. 

I guess it’s true. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. 

Don’t know how such a stupid individual got so loaded, but glad the wife got that chunk of change. 
    ronnJaiOh81radarthekatBart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 54

Get real. Cheating on your wife is bad character that’s not judgement that’s facts. 

Also being tech-stupid is also bad. 

This is a bad guy getting what he deserves. 
    ronnradarthekatBart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 54
    kkqd1337 said:
    I don't understand, I think his complaint to Apple is quite reasonable.

He deleted a message. The message was not deleted.

Due to this he incurred significant loss.

But I agree it is ludicrous to think he will beat Apple's lawyers and T&Cs.
    If your car won’t start or you crash it into a wall, you can’t sue the automaker for your boss penalizing your tardiness or absence. 

Best way to not get caught doing evil: don’t do evil. 
    ronnradarthekatBart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 54
    lewchenkolewchenko Posts: 133member
    The guy does raise an interesting point though. It’s not  clear how the syncing & deleting often works.  I’ve got an iPad which has some pictures on that can never be deleted for some reason. They just keep coming back from somewhere no matter what I do even when sharing is off/ cloud off etc etc.  Annoying only because they take up space & we use that iPad for kids on holidays. Maybe I should just wipe the whole device. 
    9secondkox2williamlondonOferravnorodom
  • Reply 30 of 54
    kkqd1337 said:

If your car won’t start or you crash it into a wall, you can’t sue the automaker for your boss penalizing your tardiness or absence. 

Sure you can.  And if you can prove that the failure to start or the crash was a manufacturing defect, you might even win.

But if you can't prove those things, you'll lose.  And this guy is gonna lose.
    9secondkox2Oferkkqd1337watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 54
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,100member
    kkqd1337 said:

If your Tesla while on "Auto-Pilot" crashes into a wall, while you were playing a video game on your iPhone, not only can you sue the auto-maker, you can sue Apple for not preventing you from playing a video game on an iPhone while driving and also the entity responsible for placing a wall where a car can accidentally crash into it. Doesn't mean you will win, but here in the US, you are still allowed to pay a lawyer to sue. 

No matter how scuzzy the lawsuit, there's always a scuzzier lawyer willing to take the case, if they get paid whether they win or lose.
    ronn9secondkox2killroywilliamlondonJaiOh81kkqd1337Bart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 54
    y2any2an Posts: 208member
    AppleInsider it’s a little too quick to defend Apple. Yes, the man brought his personal problems on himself, but under UK law there may well be grounds for legal action. The terms and conditions may be ruled unreasobable and unenforceable under UK trading laws. The apparent flaw may make the device “unfit for purpose” making the seller (not the manufacturer) liable for the failure and the article doesn’t mention whether his phone was bought from Apple or a third-party. 
    sflagelwilliamlondonkkqd1337
  • Reply 33 of 54
    cincyteecincytee Posts: 419member
    40domi said:
    I've been an Apple user for 7 years now and this is news to me! Whenever I delete an iMessage on my iPhone it seems to delete it on my Mac as well and vice versa, am I missing something here? iCloud sync should work that way, otherwise it's not a sync, i.e., one action on one devise being mirrored on all devices in iCloud, I wouldn't be too sure this guy has no leg to stand on with this suit!
    He has no leg to stand on.
    No, he definitely doesn't. I still find the Messages behavior a nuisance, though, if I sit back down at the desktop and see messages I already deleted once still there. It does seem to undermine the concept of syncing across devices.
    Ofer
  • Reply 34 of 54
    He’s far from being alone in this situation, Apple obviously doesn’t make it clear enough how Messages and Facetime work across devices signed into the same iCloud account. Most people I know don’t understand the difference between their computer login/password and their iCloud login/password, or why if they use their gmail email as iCloud login the password is different… it’s exhausting to be the only techie surrounded by technophobic boomers.
    sflagelwilliamlondonOferJaiOh81kkqd1337ravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 54
    earthkidearthkid Posts: 34member
    that is the most ridiculous idea ever exist on the planet. what you did is wrong and to blame apple for it , it's double wrong. everyone under stand that the iMessage and other services from apple are sync across the device especially if you turn on the iCloud sync feature.don't give me excuse  like you don't know, you know but you choose to deny it to look for someone else to blame for his wrongful action. thanks god for his wife to find out and file for divorce. I'm happy for her and she didn't need to live with this kind of man all her life.
    killroyronnBart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 54
    killroykillroy Posts: 281member
    Well, Apple saved his wife, by not letting him come home with an infected Wally.
    JaiOh81radarthekatBart Ycincyteewatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 54
    Steve HumistonSteve Humiston Posts: 22unconfirmed, member
    40domi said:
    Most people on here seem to be judging the man and his actions, rather than a valid point, I've been an Apple user for 7 years now and this is news to me!
    Whenever I delete an iMessage on my iPhone it seems to delete it on my Mac as well and vice versa, am I missing something here?
    iCloud sync should work that way, otherwise it's not a sync, ie; one action on one devise being mirrored on all devises in iCloud, I wouldn't be too sure this guy has no leg to stand on with this suit!

I agree, and even the replies seem to be more worried about him losing the suit...

I couldn't care less about his stupidity... I've noticed this behavior, myself and it bothers me... if you sync my messages, you should sync my deletes... that's how syncing works.
    williamlondonOfercincytee
  • Reply 38 of 54
    Are we still saying prostitute in 2024? Come on... do better.
    1 post. Guess the guy suing Apple found Ai? 

It is what it is. A shady deal. No need to use terms that pretend to make it sound like a job in accounting or the medical field. 

The term describes exactly what the issue is succinctly. You may prefer another more generic term, but that terms describes a wide variety of things and doesn’t get to the crux of the issue. In one word, the author conveyed the total picture rather than leaving the reader to guess or having to use more text than necessary to explain a generic term. 
    killroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 54
    XedXed Posts: 2,814member
    For some logic-defying reason, he wants to get this money back from Apple. Worse yet, he wants other men in the same situation to go in with him on the suit.
    A crass action leads to a class action.

Aside from the financial implications of divorce, Richard says that his health has been affected.

Surely his health and financial issues aren't affected by sleeping with prostitutes.

Declaring it a "very brutal way" for his wife to find out, he believes that there could've been a chance of the marriage continuing had he been able to "talk to her rationally."

1) I find the best way not to hurt a spouse is to not do something that would hurt them.

2) Based on his lawsuit I'm laughing at his notion of talking to anyone rationally, especially to his then wife about why he should be allowed to bang hookers.

PS: I'm reminded of an AI poster that was blaming Apple for getting him caught. I think he mentioned he has to take the bus and turn off his phone so he can continue to cheat, or some such nonsense.
    ronn9secondkox2williamlondondewmeJaiOh81Bart Ymuthuk_vanalingamStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 54
    XedXed Posts: 2,814member
    kdupuis77 said:
    Don't feel bad for him one bit... If you're gonna be a scumbag, you at least have to be smart enough to get away with it. This guy is clearly wealthy, one would think if that's how he rolls he could've bought a $100 burner Android phone w/ separate phone number just for his scandalous purposes lol.

I witnessed something similar first hand a few years back. I work on cargo ships and a fellow shipmate had turned off airplane mode in port, in a foreign country, just to check for an email and didn't realize iCloud would start syncing up all on it's own in the background. I came back aboard the ship just in time to catch his panic attack when he realized all of the photos/texts/phone numbers/notes (he apparently had notes w/ pricing and what the Philipino hookers would/wouldn't do for each given price lol) in his iPhone. ALL of that data synced itself into the cloud and back down to the iPad his daughter and Peruvian wife use back at his home... Dude was literally running around deck screaming "STEVE JOBS FUCKED ME!!! STEVE JOBS FUCKED ME!!!" haha.. Well, he's a single man free to pursue all the ladies of the night he desires now lol. People can be so hilarious to watch sometimes! I don't endorse being a dirtbag like that, but for several reasons I recommend to my subordinates that they leave their phones onboard and only take what they're comfortable having stolen from them when in that part of the world haha.
    1) Not that I want to give this asshole any ideas, but a burner phone seems suspicious. If he simply had a different chat service installed on his iPhone, like Whats App, he could use it without it being synced to anything else.

2) I use Notes a lot, including a dozen shared notes along with personal notes, but it seems easy enough to simply delete them and then remove them from deleted. It sounds like he only realized they were there after he was informed they were found.
    ronnkillroywatto_cobra