How to get started with iPhone Mirroring in iOS 18 and macOS Sequoia

Posted:
in macOS

Apple has included iPhone Mirroring as part of its second developer beta for iOS 18 and macOS Sequoia. Here's how to get your iPhone screen to appear on your Mac.

Person with a laptop showing a phone screen on the display. Weather and calendar details are seen on a nearby smartphone stand.
iOS 18 and macOS Sequoia's iPhone Mirroring, as shown at WWDC

Introduced as part of the package of feature updates for iOS 18, iPhone Mirroring promised to make lives a little bit easier for Mac owners who also had an iPhone.

Mac owners may occasionally want to look at a notification on their iPhone, but it's on the other side of the room or is otherwise troublesome to access. Or perhaps there's an app they have installed on their iPhone but not on their Mac.

Demonstrated during the WWDC Keynote, iPhone Mirroring is a feature for iOS 18 and macOS Sequoia that lets a user use their iPhone from their Mac display. Using a mouse or trackpad instead of a finger, as well as the keyboard, they can see the entire iPhone display and can interact with apps as usual.

This is all performed wirelessly, but also securely. When the iPhone's screen is displayed on the Mac, the iPhone itself remains locked, so no-one else can mess with it while it's in remote use.

The change arrives as part of Apple's Continuity feature set. It is expectedly reminiscent of Universal Control's use of a Mac's mouse and keyboard to control a nearby secondary Mac or iPad, except it's for the iPhone and it appears on the Mac's display.

Three sleek smartphones displaying home screens and world clock app on a colorful gradient background.
iPhone Mirroring in use, complete with window controls and buttons for Home and App Switching.

It became accessible to users as part of the second developer betas of macOS Sequoia and iOS 18, released on June 24.

However, the feature may not arrive for all users in the fall. Apple is strongly considering not rolling out some of its major features in the European Union, due to the interoperability mandates of the Digital Markets Act.

Getting started with iPhone Mirroring

The minimum requirements for iPhone Mirroring is an Apple Silicon or Intel Mac running macOS Sequoia, with the latter requiring a T2 Security chip. The iPhone and Mac must be signed in using the same Apple ID, complete with two-factor authentication.

Both iPhone and Mac need to be near to each other, and have Bluetooth and Wi-Fi enabled. However, in testing, AppleInsider confirmed that, after the initial link-up, it was possible to connect solely using USB-C once you disable Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on the iPhone. We're not yet sure about Lightning, but we'll update this post when we are.

Three Mac screens showing iPhone mirroring setup: first for iPhone apps access, second for iPhone unlocking, third confirming mirroring readiness with 'Get Started' button.
Part of the process in setting up iPhone Mirroring in macOS Sequoia

You also cannot be actively using AirPlay or Sidecar on the Mac before enabling the feature.

How to enable iPhone Mirroring in iOS 18 and macOS Sequoia

• After installing the betas and with the iPhone near the Mac, an icon appears on the Mac's Dock titled iPhone Mirroring. Open it.

• Click Continue.

• On the iPhone, unlock it.

• Back on the Mac, click Get Started.

• With the iPhone locked, open iPhone Mirroring on the Mac.

• The first time, you'll be asked if you will be required to authenticate with the Mac the first time only, or every time. Select Ask Every Time or Authenticate Automatically.

• Authenticate with the Mac when asked. You'll then be presented with the iPhone display.

When iPhone Mirroring is in use, the iPhone will show a message stating it's in use, and which Mac is using it.

Two phone screens: one shows a lock screen at 19:47, the other states iPhone in use with a blue phone icon.
What the iPhone displays when iPhone Mirroring is in use on the Mac, and what the Mac displays when you start using the iPhone directly.

If you were to pick up and unlock the iPhone while iPhone Mirroring is in use, the iPhone will return to normal. On the Mac, it will advise that the iPhone is in use, and that you will need to lock the iPhone to continue mirroring the display.

To actually use the iPhone Mirroring, simply click on the mirrored display where you would tap normally. If you hover the mouse upwards, a navigation bar appears, allowing you to move the window and to access the Home Screen and App Switcher on the iPhone, since swipes aren't possible.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Doesn’t work in France (Europe)
    williamlondondiman80
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Brexit bonus, hope it works in the UK. 
    GrannySmith99williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 17
    riverkoriverko Posts: 232member
    Same with CZ - it doesn’t work here. I thought I have read that for the dev beta Apple will allow it, so the developers can check their apps working fine with it
    williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 17
    twolf2919twolf2919 Posts: 124member
    For me, after authenticating, the iPhone window on the mac just sits there with "Connect to xxx" where xxx is the name of my iPhone.  Rather bizarre.  I have both bluetooth and wifi enabled.  As a bonus, the "Feedback Assistant" doesn't yet have an area of concern for this yet :-(
    edited June 24 williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Fidonet127Fidonet127 Posts: 520member
    Works fine here. I was hoping that we could go full screen for the iPhone apps. IE Minecraft Bedrock, as Microsoft is refusing to allow iOS versions to run on the ASi Macs. 
  • Reply 6 of 17
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,106member
    Maybe that's why this is BETA?  

Jeez... people expect production-level quality with beta releases.  
    williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 7 of 17
    sflocal said:
    Maybe that's why this is BETA?  

Jeez... people expect production-level quality with beta releases.  
    I don’t expect production-level of any software. 

Maybe nothing to do with the fact that it is a dev beta but simply as is mentioned in the article that it is not activated/available to dev/users in Europe ????
    avon b7Fidonet127williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,893administrator
    It does.
    appleinsideruserdiman80
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,893administrator

Right.

FTA: "However, the feature may not arrive for all users in the fall. Apple is strongly considering not rolling out some of its major features in the European Union, due to the interoperability mandates of the Digital Markets Act. "
    beowulfschmidtwilliamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 17
    It does.
    Thanks. I know there had to be one eventually! 🤣
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Does iPhone mirroring to macOS Sequoia work when the iPhone is in landscape (sideways) orientation, and does it work in landscape when using the iPhone's camera app (or a third-party app like Kino) to film videos?
    williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Does iPhone mirroring to macOS Sequoia work when the iPhone is in landscape (sideways) orientation, and does it work in landscape when using the iPhone's camera app (or a third-party app like Kino) to film videos?
    Look at the screen shot at the start of this article for an answer to your first question. Looks like yes.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Look at the screen shot at the start of this article for an answer to your first question. Looks like yes.
    Thanks, but the screen shot at the top of this article is not the answer for which I'm looking — my question could have been phrased more clearly. The screen shot shows the iPhone's own screen in landscape (sideways) but it's simply showing iOS's standby mode … but the iPhone mirror on the Mac's screen is in portrait (vertical). It's the latter about which I'm asking. I'm hoping that when the Camera app is in use for recording video in landscape orientation (or any other app that supports landscape orientation) that it mirrors on the Mac side in landscape view as well. All of the examples shown above (and elsewhere that I've seen so far) show the mirrored iPhone only in portrait (vertical) orientation on the Mac.
    edited June 25 appleinsideruserwilliamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 14 of 17
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,460member
    I am curious, why does the iphone have to be locked to use the mirroring feature? 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 15 of 17
    netrox said:
    I am curious, why does the iphone have to be locked to use the mirroring feature? 
    Because otherwise who would win in a tap/swipe battle? Mirroring is probably the wrong term to use; it's not like VNC or something (it's more like Remote Desktop). Without having tried it, to me it sounds like a good approach. my 2 cent
  • Reply 16 of 17
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,844member
    netrox said:
    Probably for security reasons. This is a feature Huawei phones have had for years but the phone does not have to be locked to use it. It will lock itself though if you aren't using it via touch or looking at it. 

I suppose Apple will do the same if it isn't already possible. 

One thing the Huawei system does do that Apple might not make you do is when something needs to be biometrically opened for the first time you have to use the sensor on the phone to unlock it. 

For example, I have some apps that require biometrics to use. If my phone is charging somewhere else and I want to open one of those apps on my phone 'mirrored' to my tablet for example, I have to unlock it from the phone first.

The connection is NFC authorised so it's tap and go.

Actually my phone is an Honor device with MagicOS but it still works seamlessly with a tablet running HarmonyOS. 

appleinsideruser
  • Reply 17 of 17
    9 to 5 Mac posted a video about iPhone mirroring which partially answered my question. The video did not confirm whether one can use an iPhone in landscape (sideways) orientation and have its screen mirrored that way to a Mac. But 9 to 5's video did say that the iPhone's camera and microphone are not available during mirroring — which was a specific question I had. I wanted to know if I could use the iPhone's Camera app to film video in landscape orientation while controlling it through macOS Sequoia's mirroring feature … and the answer is clearly no, because the iPhone's camera & mic don't work during mirroring.
    appleinsiderusermuthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon